Ronin Won't Eat New Food

Posted by: emilyL

Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 07:28 AM

We have had such hard time with Ronin and his food since we brought him home. He was on Raw for a long time, but then that got way too expensive, so we switched him to another raw food but that made him sick. We have since gone to the vet and the vet has put him in Royal Canin Hypersensitivy food that is working so far very well. Other than the fact that Ronin hates to eat the food. He ate it fine for the first 3 days we had him on it with no problems, then in the past 3 days he won't eat it. I checked his teeth, no problems, he's not lethargic or vomiting and no diarrhea.

I put hot water on the food to soften it a bit and he will eat some, but the only way to get him to eat it is if I put it in his crate when I leave in the morning for work and he eats it through out the day and at night just picks away at it. Any suggestions?
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 11:12 AM

Ok you will hate me for this:

"put it in his crate when I leave in the morning for work and he eats it through out the day "

And at a seminar one of the trainers said: I know of no dog that has voluntarily starved himself to death.

For a bit of empathy:

My eldest wants an appetizer (generally her pills one of which gets smooshed and doctored with enhancement dujour). Sometimes she will eat in the morning. More likely she will eat in the evening. She likes company when she eats. She likes having her food messed with. If she eats in the evening she will eat both breakfast and dinner servings then - and often insist on more.

My youngest will eat all of it at any time it is offered. I don't know that she would ever refuse anything edible. She will eat so much that her digestive track rebels and she produces loose stools.

When I have a pair, I will have one picky eater and one foracious eater but when I have a lone picky eater, their attention to food has improved with the addition of some competition. It has also worked to offer the food, then put it away until the next meal if it isn't eaten.

Bottom line: If I remember right, this is your first dog. You are over thinking this.
Posted by: BasiaBear

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere

Bottom line: If I remember right, this is your first dog. You are over thinking this.
wink

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 01:45 PM

Haha thanks. You're probably right. smile I just worried because he has chewed up so many of his toys I was scared it could be because of a blockage from pieces I might have missed getting out of his mouth.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 03:30 PM

If it makes you feel any better, Basia has eaten my underwear several times. I only ever knew when I saw it come out the other end. So if he was chewing apart a toy and the pieces were small enough for you to miss, chances are it'll just pass through. Usually if there's a blockage there will be vomiting and no pooping.

Also, he went from eating the most delicious raw food to what probably tastes like cardboard. I just looked up the ingredient list of Royal Canin, granted this is the "hydrolyzed protein" diet (I couldn't find the hypersensitivity one) but if it's anything similar, no wonder he doesn't want to eat it.

There isn't even an animal protein source!

Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Chicken Fat, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Oil, Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Chloride, L-Tyrosine, Salt, Taurine, Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Inositol, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Trace Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Rosemary Extract, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/20/16 08:18 PM

past dog(s) - underwear sections (obviously known before thoroughly processed) socks and who knows what else.

BTY2 - sponge (what's that funny textured excrement that's kinda orange pink?)and about 5 feet of 1/2 inch leather lead (left the handle and the braided section near the snap so I now have another collar tab...) and who knows what all else. Lead was probably chewed into small pieces because it never "showed up."

Put the food down. Take it up. Put it down again. Take it up again. He will eventually eat it. Do not fuss. Just do it.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 10:48 AM

Our vet doesn't use any other kinds apparently. I called to check. I'm not a fan of Royal Canin but it's the only thing he can eat right now (when he actually eats) that doesn't give him diarrhea or make him sick. I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

The other reason he's on this food is that he may have EPI and his body isn't sending out enough enzymes to break down protein which is causing the diarrhea so we're trying this stuff out. The vet explained that the food broken down from the protein and vegetable and fruit material into something else that is easier to handle and his body can process it that way. I don't really understand it all. frown

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 11:27 AM

Emily,
You are doing great by Ronin. May his stools solidify, his appetite pick up, his taste for his kibble grow and for other items decline.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 12:09 PM

Basia has EPI. If Ronin actually has this, you need to put him on digestive enzymes (I get my enzymes shipped to me from Canada, actually). Did you do the blood test? It checks for TLI (Trypsin Like Immunoreactivigy).

Check this out: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tli

If there are any aspects that you don't understand about the disease, I can try to help explain.

ETA: if you haven't done the blood test- but you plan to: make sure to also test for Folate and Cobalamin (vit. B12)

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 12:50 PM

The vet said that they want to do bloodwork but were trying the new food first. They are leaning away from that being the diagnosis because he's not losing weight at a rapid pace. He said that he thinks Ronin just has a very sensitive digestive track. I'm really confused. I can't keep changing foods all the time.

Sometimes I feel like I should get a second opinion.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 01:10 PM

I've decided that I will get a second opinion. I've made an appointment with another well respected vet in our area. I'm going to take Ronin to see him and see if we can figure out what is going on with him.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 04:06 PM

A second opinion can't hurt but since these things can be so hard to pinpoint, they'll probably have vague answers/ideas/suggestions after just one visit. It would take more than just a visit to establish a good report, ya know? But hey, who knows, you might end up liking this vet a lot more and sticking with them instead.

I still question the Royal Canin. I'm not sure I understand his logic about the vegetable proteins in regard to EPI. Ronin was doing fine on raw food, right? It was just once you switched to different kibbles that he started with the upset stomachs?

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/21/16 04:50 PM

He was good on raw for a while then he would have a bad bout of diarrhea. Near the end of doing the raw food, the last 2 months, he was constantly having diarrhea. Then we went to kibble and it got worse. Now we're to the point that we have to do something and find something he can tolerate. He was getting dehydrated, losing weight, and his poor bum was so red and sore. It's bene a very hard, and very expensive time for me. I just want him to feel better and get on a food that's good for him and that he can eat.

This other vet apparently is one that the majority of the city I live in love. He's been practicing for 40 years and I have a friend who was recently going through kind of the same thing with her mix breed dog, and after one visit with him, they figured out the problem and the dog is doing 100% better. Not saying this will happen with me, but this vet has a very good reputation. I didn't go to them before because they didn't have appointments for months, but they've brought on another vet to help so now we're going to see if we like him better.
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/22/16 01:12 AM

Most any time you change a dogs food one can expect diareah! Unless you make the change VERY gradually over the course of at least a week or so.

Of course if a dog already has it, changing probably won't make it any worse.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/22/16 07:18 AM

When we switched from raw to kibble we couldn't do it gradually. But even on the raw he was having diarrhea, and it did slowly get worse. It went from pudding to water by the end of the month. We've switched him to this kibble and within 12 hours Ronin was back to solid, not a single ounce of runny. So I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with him, but it has to be something to do with his digestive track I would think.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/22/16 12:47 PM

I would do the bloodwork. Even if you can somewhat manage the symptoms via highly manufactured food, you still want to know if there is EPI, which can get worse as the dog ages, as well asa B-12 deficiency and SIBO (those are typically test for at the same time). Be sure you do the fast for the epi test. Vets who are hesitant to do necessary bloodwork are as bad as vets that overdo the testing!

I am not a fan of the force feeding of food that they don't want to eat. I trust the dog's instinct. As for changing from the food that he was on to the new fan, I can appreciate the hesitancy, no comparison in quality, though the content may be better either in digestibility or removal of an offending incredient. It could be as easy as a fat intolerance (hence the need for enzymes).

You need to find out why the other food was intolerable - ingredients, epi, sibo.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/29/16 09:00 PM

So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/30/16 10:18 AM

That looks like a good ingredient list to me... I would feed it to my dog. Did you have your appointment with the other vet yet?

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/30/16 10:22 AM

I haven't yet but I'm booked next week. So far Ronin is doing good on it and I don't want to switch it again, and the price is reasonable too. He did have some diarrhea this morning, but he also went full tilt running for about 10 minutes and I find that if he overdoes it his system goes in to overdrive, so I'm not too worried, and since it was more pudding texture it's fine in my mind. He's eating it without me adding anything to it, and they also have other proteins as well that they said I can switch him to later on if I want. But so far the Venison is working out well. smile
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/30/16 07:16 PM

I agree - the new food seems pretty decent. Hope Ronin continues to do well on it.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/30/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: emilyL
So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

Your dog didn't eat for a week! That sounds really amazing! What did the vet say about your dog not eating for a week! Worst I ever had was a dog who wouldn't eat for an entire day! Without being sick of course. Your dog really sounds unusual!

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 09/30/16 09:50 PM

Yep so far so good. Yes for a week. It really scared me. He wouldn't eat it if I put yogurt in it, or pumpkin, and the only thing he would eat was treats I gave him when he was doing training or when I put him in his crate before work. The vet kept saying to just wait him out. By the seventh day, I wasn't having it. I went to the pet store, got this food after a lot of time looking at pretty much every brand there, and I went home and gave him 1 cup to see how he did and he devoured it. He has slowly been increasing the amount he eats per day. Now, we're up to the full amount. He still won't eat it at 2 times a day, but will eat some in the morning and then all the rest at night at supper time. So I'm not worried about that too much.

He had no diarrhea the entire time we've had him on it until today, but that was because I think he went outside and ran around a bit too much after just eating so I'm not going to worry about that. Every other day so far it's been all solid, even if he was rushing to get outside. I'm expecting a bit more diarrhea over the next few days just because he's at the full amount which is different for him, but we'll see how it goes. Crossing my fingers.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/01/16 10:15 AM

That's really great news. My guess is that he's a picky eater and the first kibble had really low quality ingredients. One week without food is pretty scary though. Over here, one day sans food would scare me, but every dog is different. Have you ever fed him green tripe? That might be a handy thing to have if you ever need to coax him to eat his kibble. Most dogs go bonkers for it. It's really stinky and flavorful and super nutritious.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/01/16 12:22 PM

I've heard that. My concern with that is that I'm super allergic to fish and seafood so I don't think I could handle that. I was really scared after day 3 of no eating but they said to leave it and he would eat, but nope. I was terrified. Just glad he's doing better now and is back pretty much to his normal self
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/01/16 02:16 PM

Tripe isn't fish or seafood it's the stomach lining of farm animals.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/01/16 09:20 PM

Oh really? Someone told me once that it was fish! I'll have to look into that for sure then.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/02/16 10:13 AM

It's the stomachs of ruminants- cud chewing- animals. It can't be the stuff for human consumption from the grocery store though since they clean and bleach it out. Green tripe is unprocessed so all the digestive enzymes, probiotics, partially digested grass, etc. are still in there. It's very... erm... aromatic, lol. But it must taste wonderful to dogs. I haven't used it since I had to get rid of my freezer when I moved to a tiny apt. but finding a good source was tricky. I think there might be companies who ship... not sure why I never looked into that but there must be. I should look into that for myself now that I think about it.
Posted by: ChristianLai

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/02/16 11:30 AM

Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/02/16 04:07 PM

So great you found a food that is working. I think most of the vet script foods as "last resport" trials, mostly because there is such poor nutrition in them and most dogs don't like them.

If there is a reluctance to eat in the morning, that may be signs of trouble brewing (might not be). You might try some probiotics like the mercola pet probiotics in the evening, which often helps a stomach that isn't quite right.

I use the K9 natural tripe. Jazz will only eat the freeze dried (as opposed to frozen or canned), but it was a turning point in her IBD. I've been meaning to try the raw someday.

Again, I don't think this is picky for the sake of picky. I think this is picky because things aren't optimal. How not optimal depends on the sensitivity of the dog. Some dogs will stop eating sooner than others. Other donkt stop eating if there are other dogs/cats in the house. I definitely wouldn't let that go on for a week, but you are learning what is going on with your dog AND also when to trust your instinct over yout vet's.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/02/16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ChristianLai
Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

Good advice in general, but definitely get the food right and make sure there aren't other underlying issues.

As a side note, I had my first dog on a prescription food for awhile. This was long beforeallergy" foods were available in the stores and before there was such a great variety offered. It was a Royal Canin food, and I had some bags that were "off" and weren't manufactured properly. I never realized it until I got the new bag and my dog got better. So, remember, ALL processed food is subject to poor processing which may affect the dog (or cat).

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/03/16 02:19 PM

@MaxaLisa-I'm a little concerned that he will only eat all his food at night, but I think that's just him being picky. Because he will eat it all. I figure that he was on raw food for so long that he's wishing it was that.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/03/16 10:55 PM

I've had dogs that prefer an evening meal - currently BTE 2 generally will eat in the evening and only sometimes in the morning. I don't push it. She's fit, she's good weight, she's happy.
Posted by: PaddyD

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 09:20 AM

@MaxaLisa-I'm a little concerned that he will only eat all his food at night, but I think that's just him being picky. Because he will eat it all. I figure that he was on raw food for so long that he's wishing it was that.

We keep food available for Abby all day. She usually decides to eat it at night.
Sometimes she will eat during the day, sometimes she won't eat at all.
When her bowl is empty we refill it and she decides when and how much to eat.
She has maintained a healthy weight (with a waistline) her whole life this way.
Many people say a dog should not eat a lot before bedtime or before strenuous
exercise due to the danger of bloating. For that reason, if she decides to
eat at night, we restrict the amount to 2 cups. She usually stops at that
on her own.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 11:23 AM

I never knew about Ronin possibly getting bloated at night from eating so late. Is that something I should really be concerned about or not really? He's eating his full amount, and eats it from supper time on, and will finish it by bedtime at 10. But he's eating the full recommended amount on the bag and not losing weight so that's not my concern so much. He's still active and his poops are still solid, no diarrhea.

I'm not as concerned as I was before. We go to the new vet on Friday, and I did call them to ask about it, but they said he sounds like he's doing fine and to just watch him until we go and see them on Friday.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 12:35 PM

Emily, while it is generally accepted that eating two or three meals over the course of 24 hours is healthier than eating one large meal, there has been no real conclusion about bloat except that dogs with deep narrow chests are more prone to it than dogs that are "rounder".
One of my friends who used to have Akitas did the entire routine - divided meals, no vigorous activity before and after meals and still had dogs bloat.
The best safeguard for preventing bloat I think is to know the signs and know where the emergency vet is located. I am one of the few people I know who had a dog survive bloat and go on to live a healthy, active life for many years.
The main factor I think contributed to her bloat was that she was very upset I had used some deer repellent in the yard. (over the top of newly planted bulbs to keep squirrels away). She planted herself on top of them & I had to physically remove her. She also fit the description - deep narrow chest, alert, active "go get it" dog.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 04:00 PM

I think Ronin will be ok. He sometimes will get gassy at night, but I think that's more just his digestive system. He never whines or anything and his chest is pretty wide. I'll just keep an eye on him and let the vet know when we seem them Friday.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 08:16 PM

Never had a dog who determined for themselves when they would/would not eat.

We fed our adult dogs 2/day - am and pm. Food left down about 20-30 minutes and then picked up and put away.

If they ate they ate, if not then had to wait for the next meal coming. They also got a few treats when training or if they were really cute!

Some dogs would "Scarf" their food and some were much more picky - as long as they were not sick - so what?

If they were hungry they ate and if not they didn't. Never really worried about it and used no special "additives" i.e. canned food or meat or juices.

Dogs are smart - start using these things and they come to expect them (Like we would!).
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 09:59 PM

Of course Codmaster, you are the perfect dog owner and never had a dog that had digestive issues that alter their normal eating habits. My first GSD went 5 days as an eight week old puppy and wouldn't eat and ate nothing. I took him to the vet we checked all kinds of things and could not come up with any reason why he wasn't eating. Finally I figured out through trail and error that you could never mix any thing with his food. If I wanted him to eat I would put a table spoon of left over or that ever in a small bowl next to his kibble, he would eat the goodies and then go eat his kibble. If I took the same goodies and placed it even on top of his food he wouldn't touch it. I had a dog with Pancreatits and there were days he was in a flare and didn't want to eat, but that is very dangerous for him, so some days I would make Oat Meal with ground meat in it and I would hand feed him if I had to to get him to eat. Another one of my GSD's was allergic to chicken and it took me a long time to figure it out. Another GSD if I didn't give her about 1/4 cup of food at bed time she would throw up bile in the AM and then I couldn't get her to eat.

So instead of being so right and a know it all, you could either be nicer or not post at all.

Emily, Glad to hear that you boy is doing better.
Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/04/16 10:20 PM

I had a dog go off food for several days, then his appetite returned. NO diarrhea, no vomiting, just lack of appetite and a bit grumpy. A month later, again, no appetite for 5 days. By day 5 I had bloodwork run and he was in kidney failure. He spent the next two weeks at MSU being treated for leptospirosis.

IF you haven't had a complete blood panel run and other tests, I would recommend it. Most dogs do not go off food for no reason.
Sometimes the organs are not working properly which affects the appetite. You don't know exactly what is going on inside without running some tests.

I would recommend giving digestive enzymes, probiotics and try to do these naturally(green tripe suggestion is what I feed for these, as well as milk kefir for more probiotics)
Your dogs gut must be a bit out of whack if there is gas happening....probiotics may help balance the flora.
I hope it is just 'picky' eater and nothing more serious!

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/05/16 09:03 AM

@codmaster-We did the only eat at certain times and then take the food up and then he just wouldn't eat, even when I would leave the food down. Resulting in the no eating for a week. I really don't want that to happen again. It scared me too much.

@Wisc.Tiger_Val-Thank you! I'm really glad he's getting better. I think there is something else going on, but I do think that a lot of the proteins bother his stomach. We seem to be on the right path right now, but we're just going day by day. Nice to know that I'm not alone with my experiences. smile

@Jane Jean-Oh no I hope your boy is OK! That would be awful to go to. Thankfully Ronin has been eating every day, and even if it's only at night for now I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I am planning on having the vet do some bloodwork this Friday when I see him to make sure that there isn't anything underlying that we're not seeing. Thankfully the gas has stopped, and he only had it for 2 days so fingers crossed!

This morning he ate most of his food I gave him, which was about half of the daily intake he should have, and he only left about half a cup, so I think he's coming back around, but it's just a process we have to work through. He's his normal self and as hyper as ever so we'll see how he does on Friday at the vet and cross my finger everything goes well. I'll make sure to let you know what the vet says! smile

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/05/16 11:27 AM

I do get some 'looks' when I say that Abby feeds herself. But it has worked
for her for seven years and the vet says she is in "awesome condition".
Also, as for gas, she has probably farted 3 times in her seven years.
Either that or they don't smell?
In the wild, dogs feed themselves as do other animals. I don't understand
why dogs have to be 'fed'. Sure, on the first day or so they will gorge
themselves but, after that, if they always have food in their bowls
I believe they will self-regulate.
Or maybe domestication has made them food idiots.
????

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/05/16 04:06 PM

Haha all quite possible. I think Ronin is fine. He loves the new food and will eat it all, but sometimes I think it's because in the morning he's so hyper and wants to go-go-go, at night he's a bit calmer. I don't concern myself if he doesn't eat first thing in the morning like I did a few weeks ago, but if he doesn't eat at night then I get worried. But so far so good. smile

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/07/16 02:53 AM

I think Ronin will be ok. He sometimes will get gassy at night, but I think that's more just his digestive system. He never whines or anything and his chest is pretty wide. I'll just keep an eye on him and let the vet know when we seem them Friday.

Unless there are definite signs of something wrong, most vets are happy with that.

To me, the gas does tell me that there is at the least, a problem with digesting the food, and it may be the amount of food at one time, or maybe something else.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/10/16 08:14 AM

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't update for a few days. It's thanksgiving here in Canada so we were very busy with guests and all the food. smile I took Ronin to the new vet on Friday and he feels that Ronin has either a high sensitivity to certain proteins or he has EPI. We are doing bloodwork next week (we would have done it that same day but he has to fast for 14 hours and he had eaten a few treats while there) to see if that's the cause and if not then he's pretty sure that it's just us having to play around with food for a bit until we find the one that agrees with him. He agrees that the Venison food he's on now, since it's working, is fine and that if it works, then we'll just watch and see what happens. He did say that Ronin is putting on weight and he is at the perfect weight (77.5 pounds) and looks perfectly healthy otherwise.

However, I did find out the other day, just before we went to the vet, that Ronin's 2 brothers from his litter have been put down due to illness. One of the patients from the dentist office I manage was in to see us and she knew exactly what litter Ronin was from when I told her his date of birth and where I got him. She said that one contracted an illness a few months ago and was put down, the other had a genetic condition and had to be put down as well. She couldn't give me specifics because she couldn't remember, but she did know that both dogs, and a few other litters they have had in the past have severe health problems. I told the vet this and he said that I was fine, Ronin was healthy, everything sounds good and his temperament was very good for a first visit to a new vet.

He also said that Ronin may be just one of those dogs that when they go for walks, they get over excited or stimulated and then they poop a lot, which will mean diarrhea and it's just something that I will have to deal with (which is fine) because he poops mostly normal now, other than his walks or after a lot of physical exercise.

I like the new vet and feel like we're on the right track. We go in next week for the bloodwork and we'll see what it says. Hopefully we'll figure out if it's that or something else and go from there. smile

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/10/16 01:18 PM

THis sounds like good news!

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/11/16 11:07 AM

Yep it is smile I'm pretty happy with the way things went. Next we're looking at getting him neutered in the next month or two.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/11/16 12:00 PM

On the neutering stuff -- why? Vets tend to promote that but if you are going to do it, I suggest waiting until he is 2 or older.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/12/16 07:13 AM

We had always planned on getting him neutered at a year. We talked it over with the trainer first and he said a year for Ronin was fine. He's not going to be a working dog, we can't do Schutzhund with him, so the trainer said a year old was fine, and he turns a year old on November 29th, so we were thinking early December. The vet said anywhere between 12-14 months for Ronin is fine, with regards to bone growth and the growth plates closing. I know a lot of people want to wait until they're fully matured, but we want to do it sooner. We're also hoping that it will help simmer him down a bit. I know the whole myth thing about calming them down, but we would like to see some of the aggression come down a bit, because the trainer even said that was part of the issue. It's not going to go away, I know that, but it might help curb it a bit.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/31/16 08:33 AM

UPDATE: So we have found out that Ronin does not have EPI, he just has a lot of food sensitives. All bloodwork came back normal and he is as healthy as ever, putting on the correct amount of weight as well. The food he is currently on is doing great, but Ronin just has an active digestive system when it comes to exercise. Sometimes he will go 3 times on a walk, with the first being solid, the second being about 50% solid and the last nothing but water. Our vet said some dogs are just that way and we may never really 100% know why he does this, but it doesn't hurt him so he'll be fine. smile

I'm just glad that we are finally getting a few things figured out smile Ronin continues to only really eat at night, but the vet said that it is fine and that he's not losing weight so he's obviously not starving himself. He is having a bit of an allergic reaction to something but we're not sure if it's environmental or something else. The vet did say that since he has been on this food for 2 months now or so, his body might just be trying to get rid of the stuff that is still in his system from the old food but for now we're giving him some allergy meds to help with his itching and scratching.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/31/16 03:25 PM

good luck with your dog - you guys certainly seem to have a lot of issues.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 10/31/16 05:20 PM

try probiotics, they help in digestion
If the food you are feeding is good then there is
no need to give him new food.
good luck !!

Posted by: cooley254

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food - 12/19/16 04:43 PM

I think you should get a second opinion. I doubt if Ronin is being picky i just think that the new food isn't working out well with his stomach.