200 pound GSD?

Posted by: FunkyMonkeyJosie

200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 09:03 PM

Can GSD actually get 200 pounds?! i met a guy today that told me he has a GSD that weighs 200 pounds. I had Josie with me and he had asked me if she was a purebred. He then says he has one at home that weighs 200. Not sure if he was bragging that he was that heavy or if he is actually that heavy!. That's a whole lotta dog!!! LOL
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 09:07 PM

If he has a 200 pound gsd it has to be extremely overweight no matter how poorly bred it is to oversized.

There are mstiffs not that big.

Poor dog if it is true. frown
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 09:22 PM

I think it's rather like the man who gets a nice rescued Bullmastiff. The dog on the vet's scale, weighs 141 lbs. "My gosh, Ha ha haaa! Brutus is, like, almost 160 lbs!!" laughs the tech. Man goes home and says his dog is "Oh, 'bout 160, closer to 170....." following week, a neighbor marvels at his behemoth and gets the answer: "between 170 and 180..." etc. In the space of a few months, his 141 lb dog becomes a "230 lb" gargantuan collossus who dwarfs the Astrodome, and no one else's dog can compete due to creative fanciful license in descriptive storytelling. wink
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 09:44 PM

I have a neighbour who had a GSD that he told me weighed 150lbs.... either he's lying or she was VERY unhealthy.
Posted by: SLEACHY

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
I think it's rather like the man who gets a nice rescued Bullmastiff. The dog on the vet's scale, weighs 141 lbs. "My gosh, Ha ha haaa! Brutus is, like, almost 160 lbs!!" laughs the tech. Man goes home and says his dog is "Oh, 'bout 160, closer to 170....." following week, a neighbor marvels at his behemoth and gets the answer: "between 170 and 180..." etc. In the space of a few months, his 141 lb dog becomes a "230 lb" gargantuan collossus who dwarfs the Astrodome, and no one else's dog can compete due to creative fanciful license in descriptive storytelling. wink

rofl Too funny Patti and I think you are right. For some reason, people think that bigger is better and they like to brag about it.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 10:12 PM

People always tell me that Stark is "too small and skinny for a male" as he is "only" 80lbs and 25.5 at the withers.... ummm... no... and by the way, your 130lb overweight monster over there can't breath from the three steps it took....
Posted by: Islandgsds

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: elisabeth
People always tell me that Stark is "too small and skinny for a male" as he is "only" 80lbs and 25.5 at the withers.... ummm... no... and by the way, your 130lb overweight monster over there can't breath from the three steps it took....

This is so true, I hear this alot when I have Palla. "She's awful small for a Shepherd." Then I have to tell them that GSD's aren't supposed to be big.

When I'm out with Loki who is way to tall for the breed standard people guess him to weigh in at 150 and are surprised when I tell them he's 98 lbs.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/27/10 11:50 PM

Well I can say I have never seen a 200 lb GSD. The biggest dog I had was my St.Bernard-Lab mix, when he was a healthy adult he tipped the scales at 150 lbs of lean fit dog. I can't imagine a 200 lb GSD, even if you took an oversize and had them fat even then I can't see any thing over 160lb. Lakota is big and if I didn't watch his weight he would be 120+ lbs., he was at 110 and I put the boy on a diet back down to 100 lbs. that is a good weight for him.
Posted by: Chicago Canine

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 12:01 AM

That reminds me of the person I saw at an event over the weekend who told me they had a GSD at home who is twice Bianca's size. Bianca is 26" tall so I can't imagine how huge and/or fat their dog must be!
Posted by: mjbgsd

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 12:58 AM

Holy COW that would be a huge GSD 0_0 Maybe it's parents were a dinosaur?? rofl

People think Akbar's in the 100's....
Posted by: Good_Karma

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 07:09 AM

How big do Shiloh Shepherds get? Maybe he has one of those...

When Niko was a puppy, his kindergarten "teacher" said that looking at his paws, he was going to weigh 120 lbs when he grew up.

As it turns out, he's about 80 lbs.

I think you guys are right, people's perception of weight can be really skewed sometimes.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 10:35 AM

The "big paws = big dogs" thing:

Greyhounds have tiny paws and grow to be TALL dogs. Bassett Hounds have HUGE paws, and grow to be short dogs.

Big paws have little to do with height. Big paws rather usually just indicate that the dog will have thick, solid bone as opposed to being a fineboned animal.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 02:39 PM

Yup, I was told that he was going to be well over 100lbs and at 18.5 months, he's just hitting the scales at 80lbs. Stark has a thicker, more solid bone than what most around here are use too so they think that because he is "thicker" he will be "bigger" which obviously is not the case.

Ex. Stark at 14 weeks.

Posted by: Lin

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/28/10 02:45 PM

I hate the big paws thing! Emma has some massive paws. But she is just really thick boned. Add in the fur since she's a coatie and people think she's massive when she's around 70 right now lol.

I agree that people have a very skewed perception of weight in dogs. They look at an 80 lb dog and it must be well over 100... Then add in the bragging of bigger is better and you get a 200 lb GSD.
Posted by: Chicago Canine

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 10/29/10 02:48 PM

Even Shiloh Shepherds would probably have to be obese to weigh 200 pounds.
Posted by: mjbgsd

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/02/10 11:49 PM

People think Isa is actually "smaller" then she is because she has light bone and small paws, she's 25.4'' and 70lbs. Akbar has huge paws and very big bone and people thought he would be in the 100's but he's only in the 80's, lol.
Posted by: SouthernThistle

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/08/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: FunkyMonkeyJosie
Can GSD actually get 200 pounds?! i met a guy today that told me he has a GSD that weighs 200 pounds.

Before we physically saw the dog, Andrew's dad told us that his German Shepherd was 180 lbs. He was "way bigger than Grimm" which is a feat in itself. When we pulled up and saw the dog, he was only about 85-90 lbs. NOWHERE near 180 lbs.

[quote=Islandgsds
This is so true, I hear this alot when I have Palla. "She's awful small for a Shepherd." Then I have to tell them that GSD's aren't supposed to be big.
[/quote]

Gidget weighs between 46 and 48 lbs, and I have people tell me what a cute little puppy she is.

Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/08/10 10:24 PM

It's a beat the chest supersized culture issue. I have people all the time tell me their cousin, brother, redhead uncle's German Shepherd is 150lbs and that Morgan is small. It's very strange. Morgan is 63lbs, on the tall side of the standard for a bitch but she's willowy which apparently makes her look small. Otto is MAYBE an inch taller than she is which makes him average for a male. Nobody ever says Otto is small. People are weird. I smile and walk away. Or I tell them I'll never have another one that's too big and why.

BTW, my neighbor has a 160lb rottweiler. I take his word for it. The dog is colossal. Stands about 32" tall with a head the size of a basketball. He's fat too, so many rolls of fat when he sits you can't even see the rolls of fat on his hind legs because they merge. Dog has absolutely NO definition between ribcage and his butt. If he was 125, he'd still be ginormous but my neighbors not going to hear that until the poor dog can't walk up the stairs anymore.
Posted by: Diana

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/09/10 07:30 PM

Quote:
BTW, my neighbor has a 160lb rottweiler. I take his word for it. The dog is colossal. Stands about 32" tall with a head the size of a basketball. He's fat too, so many rolls of fat when he sits you can't even see the rolls of fat on his hind legs because they merge. Dog has absolutely NO definition between ribcage and his butt. If he was 125, he'd still be ginormous but my neighbors not going to hear that until the poor dog can't walk up the stairs anymore.

That's thoroughly depressing.

I'm sorry, a GSD should not be much more than 100 lbs. They are a medium/medium-large dog meant to be agile like crazy. People can tell me their 125 lber runs and jumps just as good as the small dogs but I'd like to see a dog that size handle an agility course like a dog half its size. Physics dictates it's just not going to happen and since this is a working breed that requires agility, people can justify the oversized sheps until they are blue in the face but it's still not right. Take it to a different breed or call it a pet.

And a general rant to pet owners everywhere: your dog is not cute when it resembles an overstuffed Boston Creme left out in the sun too long with a ponderous gait that alerts seismologists. Your dog may look happy but it will be positivel ecstatic when it can run and play without huffing and puffing and needing an antigravity sled. I can only imagine what a 200 lb shepherd might be like.... at the boarding kennel I worked at we had two dogs of the same owner that were easily TWO FEET WIDE when looking top down. Lab and golden. Poor things.

Okay can you tell I see way too many overweight/oversized pets? I'll get off my soapbox now. smile
Posted by: Grakira

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/09/10 08:32 PM

I'm one of those people who likes SMALL German Shepherds!

Kira is 23 in and weighs 63 lbs, Grace is 35 in and weighs 68 lbs, Vigo is a growing boy at 55 lbs at 6 months...worried he will be a monster, but wish he would stop growing around 75-80 lbs.

200 lbs is CRAZY!

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Diana

And a general rant to pet owners everywhere: your dog is not cute when it resembles an overstuffed Boston Creme left out in the sun too long with a ponderous gait that alerts seismologists.

This horse was posted on COTH recently. They call her "stout" and an "easy keeper:"

Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 11:27 AM

I think (and I am sure people will maybe not agree - and I am okay with that) that the owners of that poor pony should be reported to AC just as much as ones with the ribs and hips sticking out. I have struggled with my weight as an adult and know that it is much easier and healthier when I am thinner (at least I have Oprah!) than when I am heavier.

I saw a beautiful female GSD at the vet when I was with Nina once - she looked just like her - same size, but not same weight. Nina was 66# but looked bigger, this poor thing was 124# - I waited to go into the exam room until I saw what came up. Her owner was all proud. Made me sick.
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 11:32 AM

Wow...horses are not meant to be shaped like pigs. How very sad. I try to keep my guy on the thin side during the winter. It hurt me to watch him walk last year. He was so stiff. frown That poor pony is going to have so many problems later.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 12:07 PM

I bought a gelding once that was what I called Pig Fat. He was very docile when he was fat, I put him on a diet much to his dismay. I have to say he didn't like the diet plan and got pretty nasty for a while. But once the weight was off and I started working him and conditioning him, he found it was a lot easier to move and got pretty handy for a big horse. When I sold him and the buyer came to look at him he put on a pretty display of running and his agility. The owner asked 3 times what his age was and I had to show him the papers so he would believe me. He was 10 and acting like a 4 year old. I told him that the horse had spend most of his life being pig fat and when I trimmed the weight off of him he felt good and liked to move.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 12:28 PM

GRRRR. That horse in the photo is a Norwejian Fjord-- yes they are indeed easy keepers, but getting that weight off would be easy! Guess they want her placid for a child to ride. NOT fair at all!
Posted by: BlackGSD

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 04:45 PM

The biggest GSD I have had was 29 inches tall and at his ideal weight for his build he weighed 99lbs.

Even at 120 he would have bene "hog fat".

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
GRRRR. That horse in the photo is a Norwejian Fjord-- yes they are indeed easy keepers, but getting that weight off would be easy! Guess they want her placid for a child to ride. NOT fair at all!

They are selling the horse as great for kids and such. Fjords are supposed to be shorter and stockier fellows - not tub o' lards frown I wonder if the Fjord got some weight off if he would be friskier. I've seen extremely emaciated horses sold as "perfect kids horse" only to have them gain weight (on a low protein diet) and be spitfires NOT suitable for kids.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 05:36 PM

Oh that poor horse!

I get a bit of a psycho rant going on in my head when I see little kids that are really heavy. It just sets them up to have weight issues as an adult, and I hate to see the deck being stacked against them, healthwise.

But it's almost worse when it's an animal, because they can't ever grow up and move out and get healthier.
Posted by: Selzer

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 07:07 PM

People with ribsy dogs often get turned it to AC. Hasn't happened to me, YET, but getting weight ON an animal is often much harder than taking it off.

I try to keep my critters in an ideal weight range, but I tend toward them being thinner rather than thicker because it is healthier.

However, when I have a dog who may be pregnant, and they put on weight because I feed them for pregnancy, and they turn out not to be pregnant. Getting that weight off them is easy. Relatively easy.

I guess I just do not see much of an excuse to let an animal that you care about be seriously overweight, but I can see dogs being underweight without there actually being overt neglect in the picture.
Posted by: Diana

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 08:52 PM

I have never seen a fat horse. Holy bucket of WRONG. Poor thing!
Posted by: Lin

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 08:57 PM

I see a lot of underweight horses being kept that way so they are "kid safe" and it really makes me sick... I saw some scary thin horses when I was a 4Her, and the kids would get angry when they were marked down for their horses condition!!!

I've seen a lot of overweight horses before, but not familiar with any being kept overweight to be placid. But it makes sense, if they are so incredibly obese they can barely move.
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/10/10 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
I saw a beautiful female GSD at the vet when I was with Nina once - she looked just like her - same size, but not same weight. Nina was 66# but looked bigger, this poor thing was 124# - I waited to go into the exam room until I saw what came up. Her owner was all proud. Made me sick.

Would have made me sick too. How can people not notice? How do they think it's cool? We have a lovely faced female GSD in the neighborhood. She waddles. I was surprised to hear she's years younger than Moon, poor girl walks like she's older. Of course her owner though Moon was too skinny... Of course she is, it's why she can still walk 3 miles in under an hour even though her hips always sucked and she's got arthritis now.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/11/10 07:43 AM

I can't believe that starving or making a horse morbidly obese is a behavior modifier. That's just wrong. I see why it would work though, I have eating issues and when I'm in a bad patch I have no energy at all.

Selzer - I think it really depends on the dog about weight being easy or hard to come off. Rosa, bless her sweet heart, is STILL about 6 pounds too heavy after MONTHS of being super careful about any extras (except I cannot patrol DH all the time so he may be giving her more treats than I realize). And Niko looks skinnier to me, even since this summer when he lost about 6 pounds after his neuter. He's been getting extra food and treats, but he seems to have a high metabolism.

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/11/10 05:27 PM

Speaking of 200 lbs dog, I stopped by the dog boutique (and day care and boarding and grooming) facility on the same road as my work to chit chat with the "director of business development" in regards to some freeze-dried foods. He got excited when I walked in and told me he had adopted a pit bull puppy that was about 6 months old. He introduced me to his new addition, and he told me he had started feeding her a raw diet. I asked, "oh really? what are you feeding her?"

He said, "well she just eats and eats and eats! I give her about 3-4 POUNDS of chicken per meal, and she just keeps eating!"

HOLY CRAP, BATMAN! That's 6-8 lbs a day for a dog that will weigh no more than 50 lbs when fully grown - yikes!

I asked him if he had ever fed raw before or knew what the exact amount was she was supposed to be eating. He said, "well she just eats and eats. I've never seen a dog like this!" (And yes, she had a full checkup from the Vet, etc. but I highly doubt he told the Vet he was feeding her 6-8 lbs of chicken a day.)
Posted by: Castlemaid

Re: 200 pound GSD? - 11/11/10 07:03 PM

Ugghh to all the "fat" stories!!! It is so bad, I remember being at the vets in the waiting room, and EACH and EVERY dog that came in or went out during my time there was grossly obese!

My vets have a program going to encourage people to get their dogs on a diet. A contest with prizes for the 'biggest loser', and their story printed up in a flyer and given out to clients to inspire them. Sorta sad it has come to that.

I think the receptionists have been instructed to ask everyone if they are interested in joining in the contest. Twice now I've had a receptionist peer over the counter and take a look at either Keeta or Gryff, depending who was with me, and remark "Oh, you don't need the info on the contest" almost like they are surprised! (though I have a psycho evil cat that could benefit from such a program whistle