underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing

Posted by: companionmom

underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 07:26 AM

Hello! Handsome is a 2y.o traditional black and tan saddle GSD. he became a member of our forever home on Friday December 13th. Since having him home initially I have had to take him to the vet 2x. I noticed sat afternoon that he was wincing in pain when his rear quarters were touched. X-rays showed hip displasia. frown so far he's on pain medication as needed at night time so that he can sleep. Then Tuesday evening I noticed he has been panting nonstop since we got him. The vet said is was kennel virus..put him on antibiotics and said it may help but if it is a virus it will have to run it's corse. However he is severely under weight (I can still see ribs) and he has not stopped panting. He is heartworm negative and has been on a preventative since he was tested back in oct.

Thoughts or ideas as to what I'm dealing with? I'm calling the vet when they open..
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 09:07 AM

Some dogs run thin. I've had some that tended to be fatties, some that ran very very thin. (And one pulled from the pound that had every parasite available!) He has only been on the antibiotic for a couple of days as I understand your post. If his panting is indeed a symptom of kennel cough, it will take a while to abide. Good to call the vet when they open - they've seen him, I'm just guessing from your post.... (and I am not a vet!)
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 09:23 AM

Glad you will be calling the vet.

Non-stop panting can be a sign of pain, stress, overheating, respiratory disorder incl life threatening pneumonia, and... The kind of sound helps in diagnosing. Found this on the web: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-wheezing-breathing-problems

What pain meds is he on? Some NSAIDs such as Rimadyl can have serious side effects, only in a very small number of dogs, but it is always a concern.

Always check the color of gums (pale if there is internal bleeding), check for dehydration (make skin tent between shoulder blades and watch how long it takes to go back to normal), take temperature (I don't use the rectal ones, dogs get very stressed), feel whether belly is hard and painful. Does he drink and eliminate normally?

In your other post you said he joined you only last Friday after having been in foster care for three months. What was the foster care like? Indoors, outdoors? How many foster dogs, how much fluctuation with new dogs coming directly from the pound joining the pack?

Has he been exposed to other dogs since?

Wondering where he got the kennel cough. Wondering how many dogs were at the foster home that they didn't notice the pain from the HD. Have you contacted the rescue organization, the foster home?

Hope he will feel better soon.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 11:09 AM

Did the panting start or get worse after you started the pain meds?

You might also want to get a copy of the xrays, or a cell phone pic, and post them here, to help with a management plan. A good supplement plan can often eliminate or greatly decrease the need for the pain meds. Before they are prescribed, the vet is supposed to check bloodwork, and the dog should be monitored while on them.

I'm sorry you guys are off to such a rough start - I'm sure it's not what you had planned! But hopefully after this initial stuff gets managed, he will be up and running around well.

How is his digetion doing? Stools?
Posted by: Caja's Mom

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 12:20 PM

His pictures in the other thread don't seem to show him being severely under weight. How much does he weigh?
You want him on the lean side for his hips too.
The panting can be a number of things. Stress could very well be it. Was he living outside before or in a kennel? Maybe he is truly warm/hot.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/19/13 12:46 PM

I think a lot of 2 year olds appear thin to those that don't know the breed?

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 12:30 AM

Vet said bring him in and xrays and ultra confirmed the worst.

Gdv
Please pray for my partner.

He's in surgery as I type. Thanks in advance.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 12:34 AM

And this is incredibly hard for me. I'm VERY experienced with the breed. Certified mwd handler. I lost my girl to this in may. I posted hoping some might have other venues for me to research aside from chf or gdv which are similarly symptomatic until the later stages of progression, but when his abdomen started to tighten we hauled you know what to the 24 hr and they did an outstanding job. He's still in surgery-and they will be tacking.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:12 AM

Bloat, strikes fear in all our hearts hugging

Zooming positive thoughts for your boy. The good news is that many dogs do pull through without long term issues, and I hope your new boy is one of them crossedfingers

Please keep us posted.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: companionmom
I posted hoping some might have other venues for me to research aside from chf or gdv which are similarly symptomatic...

There are other things that can cause panting, but hopefully as we move up the "serious ladder", we can stop at something not as serious.

Before my boy fulled bloated and torsioned, he partially torsed (sp?) off and on the week before. He did not have the panting that you described. However, he did have the panting many years later for other serious reasons.

I might be concerned with SIBO in your boy, but would want more info from the foster home.
Posted by: Karin

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:17 AM

I'm so sorry that poor Handsome is going through this, but I'm glad that you got him into the vet and that he is being treated. I hope he comes through surgery successfully and has a complete recovery. Please keep us posted. I'm sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts that Handsome will come out of this OK. hugging

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:48 AM

The foster was a family home. Much like ours. He was one of 3 indoor dogs, a corgi amd g.dane were the others I believe. He had an outstanding homelife with his fosters, im just afraid he picked up a uri that led to the panting. Big gulps of air over a lengthy period of time= bloat.
He's in recovery now and will ne kept for 24-72 hrs. Time will tell. It was touch amd go in surgery, at one pt apparently his lungs gave out, but he has the heart of a champ. Pulled on thru it.
Thank you for the warm well wishes.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:50 AM

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 01:53 AM

Poor boy! So glad he pulled through!

Not questioning the foster home, but would want more information, such as what his digestion and stools were like.
Posted by: bianca

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 04:01 AM

Oh no what am awful thing for you all to go through frown Hoping is recovery is fast and smooth hugging
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 06:55 AM

What a handsome dog. I am so sorry for all you are both going through, but happy he had you watching over him.

I hope he has a fast and uneventful recovery.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 08:05 AM

Good thoughts and prayers being sent from CT for your boy.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 09:39 AM

Oh, goodness! So glad you knew the signs and brought him in right away. He sure is lucky to be with you. All our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your most handsome Handsome.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 10:05 AM

Thank Heavens you acted so quickly. Handsome already has quite a following here-so there will be lots of these crossedfingers going out to you all.

Really, I hope he recovers fully.

Mary Jane
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 11:05 AM

crossedfingers Good thoughts and prayers for your handsome Handsome! May his recovery be swift. Good job recognizing the signs!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 11:44 AM

I know how the first 24 hours after surgery can be so critical - sending more good thoughts your way.....

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 12:25 PM

I would have never suspected that the panting would be a symptom or precursor to bloat -- and Barker the Elder did bloat. Far different from what you describe except for the gut tightening..
Time is of essense and, despite the vet being discouraging about the prognosis (I kept insisting that he take the time, spend my money and save my dog) she recovered and lived many more years a very happy, active dog (the last two weren't so active...) She was nearly 15 when she died.
So I am wishing the best for Handsome and your family. Thanks for getting him in promptly.
Posted by: Sylv

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 03:20 PM

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/20/13 08:33 PM

Companionmom,

I so much hope that your Handsome boy is recovering from this ordeal.

Please do post when you have the mental space.

MJ
Posted by: FurKids

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 04:20 AM

Oh wow, what a horrible way to have to start your new life together and even more horrible for him to have to go through this. You must be scared to death, I know I would be. Poor baby!

Our thoughts are with you and we send hugs to your new baby.

Bloat has always scared the living you-know-what out of me and so I take precautions to the point I may even be considered paranoid about it but so far mine have never had this.

Hang in there beautiful boy!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 09:01 AM

Thinking of your dog and you. I so hope he is recovering.
Posted by: arycrest

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 12:07 PM

Handsome is one lucky fellow that you caught it in time ... they can really scare you sometimes!!! Hope he's feeling better soon and has a rapid recovery without any problems. Give him a hug from me and the Hooligans when you see him.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 03:05 PM

First off...I have been moved to tears. All of the well wishes, finger-crossing, hugs and prayers sent from strangers. God bless you all!!

The first pic is what I sent to my husband. He is active duty army , and wanted to know what was going on. Within 20 mins of the panting and foaming he was tubed and knocked out. (I dared someone to pull me over)

He is now home. Just as of this am. He is still woozy but doing great.
All of the techs loved him and his surgeon and head nurse cried as we left.

My only complaint is that after years of strict military diet and training they gave him arbys roast beef sandwhiches to get him to take his meds.

My understanding is that they have flavored "putty" to wrap meds in, but the surgeon is ex mil and she had a huge soft spot for him.

Thank God. Will post updates..and answer questions now that we are home and resting.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 03:05 PM

Companionmom, I am sending healing thoughts to your boy.

I had a non GSD that had a spleen torsion and didn't let me know until it was almost too late. The Vet made no promises, my dogs heart stopped 3 times on the table, My vet said as long as the dog had that much will to live he was continuing on with the surgery. My guy had busied intestines so he had to stay at the Vet for 14 days, 9 of which he was only on IV to give the intestines time to heal up.

We had may good years after that.

Sounds like you guy has a lot of heart.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 05:28 PM

Thank God.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/21/13 08:10 PM

The funky drool would have been a clue about bloat but only because I went through it with one before. I'm so glad he's home. It's a slow recovery but like I said earlier, mine lived about 6 years longer. Take it easy, hope for the best in recovery. It can be tough - watch him.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 10:02 AM

I am watching like a hawk. My husband surprised us and came home for Christmas last night...and he has been jumping up, barking and dropping his ball.
He's so excited to have another family member ...now having them both behave is my only challenge.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 10:34 AM

...now having them both behave is my only challenge.

Crate them separately, lol!

I am so happy to hear he pulled through and is recovering well. May you have a looooong, happy life together!

Question: Did the diagnosis of kennel cough hold?

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 02:09 PM

No. Here's finally what it came to

That he has known hip displx. But we did not know he had a spinal cord injury. So apparently he was in so much pain and it had been increasing (he was at a vet 24hrs after I got him bc he was throwing red flags) so much that he began painting and over salavating. Yes his 1st xrays showed slugh narrowing of the esophageal canal but, that happens over extended periods of rapid breathing. He panted himself into bloat. Now he's on pain meds, and sedatives and will be undergoing possible spinal surgery come spring after less serious routes are at least attempted.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 02:11 PM

That being said the 1st time I took him to the vet I contacted the foster and asked if he had alway panted heavily and winced and she said 'yes..I just thought it was normal for the breed'... -.-

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 02:43 PM

I am SO glad he is doing so well after the surgery, what a huge relief!

What type of spinal issue is it? Some surgery can be avoided with chiropractic care, but certainly some cannot. These darn GSDs and their back problems frown

The pain meds. Has the vet talked about monitoring blood levels while he is on them? I would strongly consider some liver support while these are being taken. My favorite is Country Life's Liver Support Factors, but there are many similar products out there.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 06:24 PM

Yes. He will have to have a blood pannel every 6 months

We are going in for a MRI tomorrow. For more dx, as if now from what can bee seen via radiograph its a cord injury. I know he was thrown after a convy inturruption on his last deployment.

So for now im sedating him and crossing our fingers and praying for a decent tax return for all these mounting vet bills

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 06:28 PM

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 06:51 PM

The poor dog must have been in excruciating pain. He is so lucky he found a human who could see that something was very wrong, and who knew what to do.

I know he was thrown after a convy inturruption on his last deployment.

Do you know his story? In the other thread you mentioned he was dropped off after hours at the local HS. Did he perhaps have a chip/tattoo that showed he had been a MWD and you could trace it back?

Bloat surgery, MRI, and treatment of whatever the injury is shown to be... Wishing you a HUGE tax return!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 07:58 PM

Yes he has an ear tat and chip. Thats why he went to a local mwd rescue from the shelter. We dont know if a local police officer put him in the after hours holding area as a stray or if his handler/owner dumped him. Whatever yhe case may be he's mine now smile
And I'm thankful.
The folks at Lackland afb have been great in filling in some gaps.

He's an outstanding pup.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/22/13 08:07 PM

Yes. He will have to have a blood pannel every 6 months

We are going in for a MRI tomorrow. For more dx, as if now from what can bee seen via radiograph its a cord injury. I know he was thrown after a convy inturruption on his last deployment.

So for now im sedating him and crossing our fingers and praying for a decent tax return for all these mounting vet bills

Oh wow. The poor boy has seen his share it sounds like.

I'm glad to hear that the vet is on top of the blood testing, etc. Many aren't, so we make sure to always mentioned it, just in case.

I will send good thoughts for him and your tax return - thank you for taking such good care of this boy!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/23/13 01:51 PM

Long day today.

Verdict is in

Pinched sacral nerve and extremely wrecked hips.

Yes will medicate with pain management, and titrate off as necessary-but for the pain...if increases beyond that we are looking at making a very difficult decision within the yr.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/23/13 02:35 PM

Verdict is in

Pinched sacral nerve and extremely wrecked hips.

Yes will medicate with pain management, and titrate off as necessary-but for the pain...if increases beyond that we are looking at making a very difficult decision within the yr.

That is a very painful condition, in both dogs and humans, speaking from personal experience in both.

I would strongly encourage you to see a consultation with a certified chiropractor (not a VOM pracitioner). I have had the best experiences with those that are also chiros for humans, probably something to do with having more experience and doing this on a daily basis, though I fully expect some vet chiros are very good also. The right care could save your boy's life, and that's not being dramatic www.avcadoctors.com

hugging I'm sorry.

Did you talk about joint supplements and most importantly adequan shots?
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/23/13 03:00 PM

You are such a caring owner, you truly turn over every stone to help your dear boy. I am so sorry that he has a pinched sacral nerve. You are doing wonderful and kind things for him in your care of his condition. hugging

My suggestion would be a good veterinary acupuncturist. I have a pinched nerve due to a vertebra being out of alignment. Acupuncture brings relief. I am wishing you and your fella all the best!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 12/30/13 01:18 PM

I know it's hard to arrange things around Christmas, but I really hope that you can follow some of the suggestions here and give Handsome some relief, rather than the opiate (?) or whatever painkillers. You paint such a wonderful place for him in your family.

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 01/04/14 11:44 PM

Sooooooo I have questions....

1.what in the #$@@ could be causing. Handsome to breathe so rapid all the time?
His heartworm test was neg. His heart is a little smaller than it should be, his blood labs all came back great, hhe breathes so darn fast and deep ....like he just got done running-but it's all the time. The Dr's say its bc of his back-but I'm calling bs.
Bc he does it when he's on his pain meds too. The only time he doesn't is when he take his p.m. sedative (ace-something rather) so he wont gain weight bc hes breathing so fast all the time-and he's normal otberwise. ..

My head hurts
And my wallet does even more so!

Re: underweight, lack of appetite,rapid breathing - 01/05/14 12:44 AM

It could be pain, and if medicated, it could then be the drugs.

If the heart is undersized, the question is whether that is normal, or if that is from a different process, where the fluids in the body are not properly controlled by hormones and/or transmitters. This is sometimes seen in dogs with Addison's, but they should also see that the pulmonary vasculature (I think I have those names right) would also be not normal.

Chronic infection can make him pant more, such as a tick disease, or some of the diseases that we may not have tests for - may depend where he was before. Would be interesting to see his bloodwork.

I will say that I had a shepherd that had some issues like this. Ultrasounds, echocardiograms, xrays, blood tests, we never found out exactly what it was. I did find that this product helped the most: http://gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/5/Adrenal-Health- We had no explanation for why it helped, but we guessed it was either hormonal or a neurotransmitter.