Raining on my parade

Posted by: Catu

Raining on my parade - 04/01/11 08:52 PM

When everything was good, something had to go bad...

Today I took Akela to the vet, he was due on his rabies shots weeks ago, but I had been without car until yesterday, when I just bought my new one.

For the last weeks he had been limping on at least one hand. I can't remember if last time it was the same hand or the other, but he has been limping on his left hand now. It had happened two times before and it lasted a couple of days, so I didn't worry and thought it may be pano, yet a third time is too much.

Since I can't just sit and wait to see if it goes away on its own I took advantage of the fact he was limping, I had a vehicle again and he needed shots anyway and took him to the hospital. The bad news is that the vet thinks it is the elbow. You could see how he palpated all the arm and nothing, but the elbow and Akela would struggle.

Now we have an appointment to take Akela for X-rays monday morning... this will be two loooong days, specially after Bruma, the female I had at home for training but had to be retired.

I swear that if it ends up being elbow dysplasia this will be the last German Shepherd I own. I've done all my homework, It is not like I've picked my pups from the newspaper, donje everything by the book... and end up with two dogs with genetic problems? It has to be more than just bad luck.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/01/11 09:47 PM

I know how frustrating ot must be.

Pano? Don't know if you have tick diseases there or where he was bred?

When Max limps on a front paw, it's either his low neck or shoulde...he loves going to the chiropractor.

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/01/11 10:22 PM

Chile is free of tick diseases (yet paranoid ). Actually, ticks themselves are so rare in Valdivia that if you find one in a dog you have to show it to half the vet school, since many who are from here have never seen one in person. Akela has not been outside Valdivia since 3 months old.

I don't know of any chiro vets in the area, I mean Valdivia or drive-able cities. Do you have experience with human chiropractitioners treating dogs?
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 12:10 AM

Oh Catu! I hope it is as simple as plain old Pano! I understand about this breed. I love the GSD, but I too am sometimes unhappy with some of the health issues I have had in my dogs. Hoping the best for Akela.
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 06:49 AM

Best wishes for Akela, Catu. I hope it is pano as well - maybe he has a minor reason for pain in the elbow itself crossedfingers.
Posted by: bianca

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 06:57 AM

Sending positive thoughts for pano too. I am so sorry you are having deal with this stress hugging
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Catu
Chile is free of tick diseases (yet paranoid ).

I kinda cringe when I hear things like that, because often it means either they are just not reported, or not well known, which means diagnosing and treatment is even more difficult. Not saying that this is a tick disease, but I had to go look and found these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12643221
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2857280/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17554436
http://ketchum-media.com/uploads/smpr_downloads/fd850df3f9d1856bb37552daf9a0f0de.pdf (this map says there is a moderate risk in Chile of 3-4 endemic tick diseases, though that may vary locally)

[/quote] Do you have experience with human chiropractitioners treating dogs? [/quote]
I have heard of some human chiros treating dogs. I know of one that said he kinda does, but my chiro says he wouldn't touch them. So I guess it depends on the chiro. My dogs have seen 3 different K9 chiros over the years, and 2 of them are chiros for humans as their professions, but they went through the training. I don't know, maybe a call around to see if someone knows someone? Sure would be nice if you had the referral from another dog person though.
Posted by: DancingCavy

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 07:29 PM

Oh no. I hope it's nothing major!
Posted by: arycrest

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 07:41 PM

hugging hugging hugging Catu & Akela hugging hugging hugging Wishing you the best and praying it's a simple problem!!!

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/02/11 08:52 PM

Sorry, I wrote Chile is free of tick diseases, when I should have wrote we are free of lyme (though there are 2 cases reported but not confirmed) I met myself one dog with ehrlichiosis some years ago.

Thanks everybody for your support!!! It is so frustrating because during March we lost 2 dogs on my SAR team, one for elbow dysplasia: Bruma, the black WL GSD who was living here (and I picked she has problems and requested the X-rays) and another GSD with a back problem, I don't remember now which one. BTW, when I say we lost, I mean for the team, both dogs are under treatment and living happy pet lives. Now with Akela limping the worst scenarios are playing in my mind. That while the Labradors are mutts are healthy as rocks and being retired at old age.

Elbows are still not requested in Chile for breeding, Akela's breeder is probably one of the two or three breeders I know that voluntarily check elbows, and that is one of the reasons I wanted a pup from him, so I have very bad luck or the breed is already too doomed and no precaution is enough... sigh!

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 03:01 PM

Good news!! Akela's elbows are completely clean happyboogie

There are no signs of Panosteitis on the X-Rays either, but it doesn't prove there is not. That or a lesion on soft tissues, whichever will go away with rest, time and painkillers.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 03:41 PM

Glad to hear that it's not an elbow problem.
Posted by: Tara

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 05:02 PM

happyboogie
Posted by: arycrest

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 05:33 PM

party Catu, I am so happy for you!!!
Posted by: GSDBESTK9

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 05:57 PM

Great news!!!
Posted by: DancingCavy

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 07:42 PM

Whew! Excellent news.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 08:19 PM

Catu that is good news.

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 09:06 PM

Thanks!

Today the owner of a littermate of Akela answered the mail I sent him, because he had commented his pup has been limping too. Turns out his pup had been limping from something the vet may be around the humerus, limping that has moved from one hand to the other (though he atributes the pain to stand in 2 legs on his kennel) and that a third brother would have shown a slight limp on the hands too. So, all the hints lead to panosteitis.
Posted by: Lynn P

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/04/11 09:20 PM

Great news.
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/05/11 10:20 AM

Great news, Catu. cheers
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Raining on my parade - 04/05/11 04:14 PM

Good news!!! I am willing to bet that this is Pano, sometimes it won't show up on xray but at least it is not ED!