Help with Cone of Shame!

Posted by: Liesje

Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 10:31 PM

Nikon has to wear a cone for two weeks. I've never had to use a cone before. Can he wear it all night? While I'm at work? It smashes his ears down, is that OK? Any tips or tricks?
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 10:45 PM

Yes he can wear it while you are gone. I would make sure he has no obstacles in his way tho and he will hate it. You might try to find one of those soft ones that are more flexible and comfortable.

What happened to him?
Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 10:47 PM

Onyx had to wear one, she destroyed it within a couple of days, so I bought another. Then somehow one of the 'pins' came up missing. She kept trying to scratch her ear and worked the cone free.
She wore it during the night and while I was gone, loose in the house, not crated.

I got the largest size available the second time around....but her issue for cone wearing was her ear hematoma, not sure if she could get to a toe on her back foot with it...I think Nikon will find a way to get to his foot. Poor Nikon, I hope he just heals!!!
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 10:50 PM

Piper had to wear one for 18 days after she had a growth removed from her eyelid. She wore it 24/7. Instead of crating her, we made a larger enclosure out of fencing materials in the basement and that worked. I also was concerned about her ears, but they were fine afterward. They were only smashed down when she walked or sat, but they were erect when she laid down. I did try to re-adjust the cone and straighten them out whenever I could and gently massaged them to prevent creasing. I don't know if it actually mattered. Toward the end the cone was quite battered and dented so I had to keep straightening it out.

When Grace had to wear one to prevent her from licking her vulva, I opted for a BiteNot. Much, much better than the cone, but isn't effective if you're trying to keep a dog from licking front paws or scratching the head.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 10:55 PM

Only a huge cone will work, I can't use one of the blow up rings or anything like that. He already got at the foot with the cone on but the vet says I had it on wrong so I'll try it again.

It won't fit in his crate so I'll leave him gated in the basement instead. I wish I could take him to work so I can check frequently but the crates in my van are even smaller.
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/09/11 11:28 PM

Hope Nikon's foot heals!
Posted by: SLEACHY

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 01:04 AM

I like to have a spare or quick access to one "just in case." I have seen more than one dog obliterate a cone on a wall/upright for the deck/etc. Oh...and be prepared for bruises anywhere between your shins & mid thigh!
Posted by: bianca

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 05:34 AM

Poor Nikon, I hope it heals fast.

Molly has just come off wearing one for the third time in her short life, she wears it 24/7 and after a few days it doesn't seem to bother her unless she wants to scratch her ears.
Posted by: Lynn P

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 06:51 AM

Laos was a master at destroying those cones. We tryied the no-bite collar too, without success. I think this last time we went through 4 of them. He wear it at night and when I wasn't home without problems. Hope Nikon feels better soon.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 08:55 AM

How do you clean the cone? Nikon's gets all fogged up and coated in slobber. I've just been wiping it with a damp cloth so I don't have to go through the wrestling match of taking the cone off and putting it back on.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 09:25 AM

What the heck is he doing in his cone! I would wipe it out with the cloth too. I use a bandanna tied around the inner loops to make it feel better against the neck. Ava has been wearing a cone so much this year - hers is starting to split in places so I got the duct tape out. Classy.
Posted by: Castlemaid

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 10:13 AM

If you want to take Nikon to work, can you take the crates out of the van and just have him loose in the back?
Posted by: GSDElsa

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 11:31 AM

Poor man! I second maybe taking the crates out and leaving him loose in there? I also would be nervouse with him unseupervised all day.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 11:34 AM

Lucia I did that this morning and seems to be a workable solution. I'm still not convinced he can't get at the foot with the cone on so I was reluctant to leave him for 9 hours. He didn't fit in any of the kennels so I took one of the seats out and there was a larger space. I snuck him inside for a while to make sure he wouldn't freak out and now he's in the van. Not much he could do with the cone on anyway. He's tired b/c he thumped around all night with it on. He's being such a baby! He won't pee either. I just keep telling myself, he did this to himself, we'd be much farther along by now if he didn't feel the need to chew through five different layers of dressings. Now I see the shortcomings in having a small house with very narrow doorways and halls, steep stairs (old house). He gets caught on *everything* and we just painted six rooms, go figure.

Jean he keeps panting and the cone gets all nasty, smells gross too (maybe I'm just used to dogs smelling like my body spray and dryer sheets!).

Pan thinks this is great, a toy permanently affixed to Nikon's head! Ugh
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 02:55 PM

We have tried various cones from the inflatable one to the clear/vinyl cone to the soft cone. In the end, the clear/vinyl cone is the best for us (I get the extra big one as their noses are long and can move it around to get to what they want to). Only once has siena gotten out of it and it was because it was too loose.

The soft cone is great for longer term, but it also impedes the view (the one I have is solid black) and Siena absolutely hated it and looked so sad. She doesn't like the vinyl one but it's the best for our needs.

The inflatable one was a joke. I bought it, took it home, put it on (before hip surgery) and put a treat on her hip to see if she could get it - no problem!

Just be careful they don't get hung up on anything too. Hope he feels better. He may be panting because it is stressing him out??

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 03:07 PM

He's back under my desk again since the sun came out outside. Cone is off and I'm correcting him for attempting to lick the foot, but now he's sleeping. Maybe if I can break the habit he won't have to wear it 24/7 for 2 weeks.
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/10/11 05:51 PM

we've had minor irritations on the foot that required a cone for Siena. We would cone at night and if we weren't there, and if we were and wanted a break from the cone, we'd get a childs sock, spray it with bitter apple, and apply with a pressure bandage so it stayed on. They can still get to it, but the taste deters them (unless they're weird and like it!)

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/11/11 10:56 PM

Saw this in the paper tonight, thought of poor Nikon! rofl
Posted by: Ruthie

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/11/11 11:37 PM

Too funny! Hope Nikon is doing well.
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 12:08 PM

My vet had put a rope made of a roll of gauze inside the loops as a tie, that worked well to keep the thing on but not mark up Otto's neck.

I don't want to poke fun here but you'll look back and laugh. I do. Wasn't at all funny at the time! We've had these discussions as they were growing up, how much alike Otto and Nikon are. I know your pain. I had huge scrapped up purple contusions on both legs from where he smashed me with that cone. He's smash it into the woodwork, run head first into a doorframe trying to bash it off his head, walk through the house bashing it off things, knock my children down with it.

By the end of his 10 days in the cone, it was bent into a narrow oral looking thing, chewed and dented. I have it in the basement as the spoils of war, pull it out once in a while to demonstrate what a beast Otto is.

He learned how to play ball with the cone on. I have a movie of him chasing the hose spray wearing it. It's titled 'Commander Crazy Cone'

rofl that cartoon!

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 12:35 PM

That comic is fabulous! Right now my problem with the multiple dogs is that Pan keeps attacking the cone.

The issue is not keeping the cone on (he hasn't taken it off yet) but that he can still reach the foot even with it on. My friend brought me her cone from her vet...exact same size.

Today I'm trying a different way of wrapping the foot. When I'm home it's no biggy because I can keep him occupied, and at night he sleeps fine with the cone on, but I have to work full time, there's just no possible way to monitor him 24/7 and we don't get to use FMLA for dogs like my co-workers have for watching their kids (grrrr!).

He's being a very good sport about the whole thing, I just get frustrated because this is a minor, common injury (has happened to him before!) that has now literally ballooned into possibly amputating part of his foot b/c he just won't f---ing stop chewing on it. I have NO problems physically correcting a dog for something that is for their own health and safety, and he's not a sensitive dog, but I can't correct him when I'm not there for 9 hours straight. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to - oral antibiotics twice a day (he's a "pill" to pill), antibiotic powder on the infection several times a day, soaking in epsom salts, cleaning and re-wrapping it, cleaning his cone b/c it's hot and humid here now so it is constantly fogged and covered in slobber, helping him eat and drink with the cone on (he can't pick up food so I have to hand feed him). He's just being a little scheister! He accepts the cone but if I could only make him understand he wouldn't have to wear it IN THE FIRST PLACE if he did what we said.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 02:54 PM

Frustrating. Wonder if you could put anything on the bandage so he'd leave it alone? With Otto, I could probably pack it with carrots and broccoli...

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 03:44 PM

I've used bitter apple in other contexts and it doesn't deter him one bit. I wonder if he's chewing at it simply b/c it's there, something to chew at? If it's chewed off again when I get home, maybe tomorrow I'll try leaving it unwrapped. It doesn't necessarily have to be wrapped, that was supposed to help keep him off it.
Posted by: FG167

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 03:46 PM

What if you wrap it then give him something else to chew on? Something "special" - maybe one of those Himalayan Chews?
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 03:54 PM

A couple of ideas (I apologize if these have already been suggested):

1) Have you tried putting a sock on his foot over the bandage and using a strip of velcro to keep the sock on? You could even use two strips of velcro: one at the ankle and the other up higher on his leg.

2) As a last resort, can you give him a sedative?

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 04:51 PM

Falon, this morning I tossed a Kong and knuckle bone down the stairs and then remembered he can't chew those with the cone on anyway. He has them when I'm home and the cone is off.

Ruth, 1) yes I had been using a sock taped behind the foot and above the hock to keep it from sliding off or bunching up. He chews the end off, exposing the foot. He's gone through half a dozen of my socks in the past few days. I also have/had several dog boots that are held on with a velcro strap. Again he chews the tip off, doesn't even need to pull the whole thing off to get at his foot. 2) I'm not against it but not sure what to try. I have (for dogs) melatonin, benadryl, elavil, and prozac. I do need him to be alert and active when I'm home and for training.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 05:19 PM

Maybe a steel toed bootie? J/K

I know people use ACE to knock their dogs out but have no idea the dosage or how long it knocks them out for. Benadryl might make him drowsy. Here is a bunch of ideas for herbal or homeopathic things to try (read the reviews and look for something for OCD behaviors).

http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?avs|Health+Condition=Anxiety+%2f+Stress&avs|Pet+Type=Dogs

I would try that Tranquility Blend from Animal Essentials. I'm sure you find it cheaper somewhere else.

Re: Help with Cone of Shame! - 05/12/11 08:44 PM

He's such a weirdo, he totally leaves it alone when I'm home (cone off). If only I didn't have a job, lol! Then he wouldn't get so bored. Maybe if I leave the cone OFF so he can chew his bones and Kongs?....

Would this work? - 05/13/11 01:33 PM

This morning I was brainstorming other ideas. I ended up duct taping several paper plates around the cone, to make it longer. We'll see if that helps but I doubt it will stop him.

Then I wondered if this could work....say I take the infected foot and sort of fold the leg up (like how it is when a dog is lying down) and bandage it that way, so the foot is tucked up and cannot extend? He'd be on three legs, but lots of dogs only use three legs. This way he can't possibly extend his foot into the cone for chewing. He's still wear the cone to prevent removing the bandage, which he would not be able to reach. Is that too mean?

We also had some other more impractical ideas, like a remote collar with a repeater, a nanny cam with audio so I can verbally correct him when he goes at his foot....

I'm not against sedatives per se but I don't see how I can sedate him enough to keep him from chewing for two weeks 8 hours a day. Ironically, the more active he is, the better it is b/c he leaves the foot alone even with the cone off. The more calm he is, the more likely he will just lie there and chew at himself. A sedative would have to knock him out completely to really be effective.

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:29 PM

I wouldn't tape his leg up. He may hurt himself trying to undo that situation and you'd have another problem.

What about duct taping the sock? Just trying to think about how to create an effective barrier from his teeth! Is there a safe muzzle you can leave on him?

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:34 PM

I've been using duct tape for three days now since I ran out of socks, athletic tape, and vet wrap (and none of those did any good anyway). He can chew/rip through anything. There really is no barrier for his teeth short of encasing it in cement. He doesn't even chew that hard, really, but he has such strong teeth he can get through 5 layers of different wrappings in about 10 seconds.

We tried my friend's muzzle but GSDs really need a custom fit muzzle especially for that long a period I feel. It smashed his face pretty bad so I didn't use it. A basket muzzle is no good b/c he will lick through it. A mesh muzzle (what I have) is too restrictive for unsupervised use. It is hot and humid here now so I need to be sure he can breath and pant comfortably. A leather muzzle would work but by the time I fit and order one it will be a week or two before it arrives.

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:36 PM

Can you ask for special permission to bring him to work?

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:43 PM

I could but I sincerely doubt it would be granted plus he would be distracting and get in the way of my work. I have to jump up a lot and don't always work at my desk. I don't have an office, so there's not a door I can close to keep him in place and he does not fit in a crate with the cone (it gets jammed and he panics). He follows me when I get up. So far the few times I've snuck him in for a quick visit people think it's cute but you never know. Also, the guy on the other side of my cubicle has severe allergy problems and has been really sick for a long time so we have to be sensitive of that.

I was thinking of finding a cheap dog daycare but even then, I doubt there's one that will literally watch him ALL day. Plus he is intact so that rules out most options. frown

Our next appt is the 31st and we are supposed to keep the wound clean, dry, and not licked for two whole weeks so we have this weekend to finally figure out a solution....

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:58 PM

If you can't find another alternative, he can stay here with me at the apartment during the day (after Tuesday).

ETA: He would be chilling in the bedroom with me during the day while I sleep. I sleep light and he could sleep on the bed so I would be able to keep an eye on the foot. As long as he would listen if I told him NOT to chew on it lol. But in all seriousness, I am game to give that a try if you can't figure out a way to get him to stop.

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 02:59 PM

Have you tried any sort of container? I'm just throwing out ideas here...but something really durable that you could make a boot out of? Like a little stainless steel bowl?

And I also think it's worth trying something like Valerian. He's got an OCD thing going now and it's self-rewarding.

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 03:14 PM

Thanks Falon, appreciate that. I e-mailed Ron to see if he has a muzzle, not sure why I didn't think of that before.

Ruth, I was trying to think of the same thing, how to protect the foot in something he can't/won't chew, something that is safe for him all day...hmmmm.....

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 03:41 PM

What about some sort of cage for his foot? Like if you got some light-weight wire or even a small/tight basket muzzle and got that on his foot? So he couldn't get to the toe? I am thinking kind of muzzle in reverse...

Sure, just let me know if you want to do that. You could drop him off in the am and pick him up after work. I just sleep and watch movies when I am supposed to be sleeping LOL

Re: Would this work? - 05/13/11 07:06 PM

Plates did not work, not that I expected it to. Came home to cone on, plates shredded, wrapping gone. The wound looks different, I can't tell if it's better or worse.

Ron is bringing me a basket muzzle and a tactical muzzle on Sunday. PULEEEEEEZE pray that one of these works!! Hopefully the tactical muzzle works. Or maybe I can find a Chi sized basket muzzle for the foot!

Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/15/11 06:30 PM

Huge sigh of relief! Friends agree his foot is looking better, and Ron's basket muzzle works great. There's still an inch of room between Nikon's nose and the end of this muzzle. We tried on six different muzzles in the past few days and this is the only one that Nikon did not even seem to notice having on. The others either didn't fit at all, or fit OK but he still whined and tried to scrape them off. Once I put it on, he just walked off and started prancing around like we were doing obedience. He even did some civil agitation work with it on and got to "bite" the helper's bare body so he got a confidence boost. He can still wear the cone at night so his face gets some free time but I think the muzzle is the best solution for while I'm at work. Since it's correctly fitted for a GSD, he can still pant and bark. He will have to wear a boot at the same time since he can lick through the basket but Falon lent us a nice boot.

He's not showing any pain in the foot anymore. No limping and no reaction when I'm cleaning it and wrapping it. He ran two lure courses yesterday (earned a CA leg and did a second fun run).

One more week of oral antibiotics, two more weeks of topical antibiotic powder, Epsom soaks, and wrapping the foot and then we see the orthopedist for the final decision on whether the infection has caused enough damage for amputation.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/15/11 10:27 PM

I'm so glad that you were able to manage it. I would have never thought of a basket muzzle to keep from the licking and chewing. Do you have a link to the one that ultimately worked? Maybe not a bad idea to have around....

Re: Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/15/11 10:30 PM

I'm glad you found something that works - basket muzzle, duh of COURSE!

Re: Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/15/11 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I'm so glad that you were able to manage it. I would have never thought of a basket muzzle to keep from the licking and chewing. Do you have a link to the one that ultimately worked? Maybe not a bad idea to have around....

I can ask. It's probably not cheap, he said it is a DPO competition muzzle (DPO is similar to SchH but more for police dog type work, and in many protection sports, dogs must show commitment to engage even while muzzled). He can lick through it so proper wrapping/boot will still be a must.

It looks like this

Re: Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/16/11 09:20 AM

The picture works...that way I have an idea of what was used. Thanks!

Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 02:15 PM

Do you think it's looking better?

This pic is from over a week ago. He just had a bath so the area is clean. This was three weeks after the nail split.

Then this was two days ago. I took the pic and THEN soaked his foot so it's a bit dirty and of course after I took the pic I trimmed the hair on the foot pads, trimmed the broken nail back a bit further. I can take a new one tonight.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 03:08 PM

I do think it looks much much better but its still icky. Poor boy, no wonder he wanted to chew on it, looks like it had a nasty itchy infection.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 03:10 PM

It looks better but still not good.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 03:40 PM

It's a lot less sensitive (I can touch all over, even pick at the nail) but still bleeds and oozes nonstop. I think he prefers it wrapped now. If I unwrap it, he is constantly stopping and trying to bend over, like it itches and he can't help but stop and bite it. If it's wrapped, he doesn't seem to notice (but cannot be trusted to not chew at it for fun during the day). The nail is so close to being gone. The bottom piece which you can't really see in the newer pics is like a very loose tooth. The top piece that looks like a normal black nail in the first set of pics is now white/clear like it lost pigment or the black parts fell off.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 03:46 PM

It is gross! sick it is most likely the pressure on his foot that is keeping it open and oozing. Have you tried putting calendula cream on it? If you can find a calendula/hypericum mix I would go with that because the hypericum helps with the pain/itching.

I also really like Rejuva Spray. When someone has a nasty owie around here I use the Rejuva Spray during the day and the calendula once in the morning and once at night, before bed.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 04:13 PM

I haven't put anything on it but what the vet gave me. I'm supposed to keep it coated in the antibiotic powder so anytime I change the wrapping (2-3 times a day) I re-apply the powder. She was pretty adamant about keeping the powder on it for at least two weeks. I might run out and have to get some more (mainly b/c Pan got hold of it, bit it, which put a little hole in the side and I lost some).

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 04:18 PM

LOL naughty Pan Puppy. I wonder if the vet could inject it with antiboitic? Hurts just thinking about it...

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 04:24 PM

Calendula is a natural antibiotic and also promotes rapid skin cell regeneration. Your vet probably won't have heard of it but that's what I'd use. It has worked to quickly heal up some nasty stuff on my dogs on on me too.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
LOL naughty Pan Puppy. I wonder if the vet could inject it with antiboitic? Hurts just thinking about it...

Yeah, no kidding! I squeezed the bottle which usually poofs out the powder and it shot out the side instead of the top. He also chewed on the tape I use to keep the wraps in place.

He is on cephlex (oral) and this powder stuff is also supposed to contain something that makes it numb? "tetracaine" Apparently you can cut cocaine with this stuff, haha!

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 05:51 PM

He's a puppy, tape and a bottle much better than ripping the stuffing out of a couch rofl

Tetracaine is a local anesthetic but as far as I know, it doesn't have any antibacterial properties. Maybe that's what's missing in healing it up? Ask your vet but I'm thinking maybe some plain bacitracin and then dip the nail in the tetracaine?

You've already got the tetracaine, no sense in buying a brand name bacitracin with benzocaine or lidocaine in it (that's what I've used and the dogs have no interest in eating it)

Re: Nikon's foot - thank goodness! - 05/17/11 06:40 PM

Just looked at the pictures.

I can't find where you described what happened, did you see the injury occur?

If you follow up the "toe", is it enlarged with inflammation?

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SunCzarina

Tetracaine is a local anesthetic but as far as I know, it doesn't have any antibacterial properties. Maybe that's what's missing in healing it up? Ask your vet but I'm thinking maybe some plain bacitracin and then dip the nail in the tetracaine?

You've already got the tetracaine, no sense in buying a brand name bacitracin with benzocaine or lidocaine in it (that's what I've used and the dogs have no interest in eating it)

It's neomycin? I think? It's an antibacterial powder that also contains tetracaine. Plus the oral antibiotics twice a day for two weeks.

Lisa, I wasn't here when it happened. I was in Florida for a week. DH called me and said Coke "peed" on the bed. I was skeptical because DH wasn't really sure if it was pee, and IMO pee is pee. Coke's pee is yellow and smells like pee. When I got home, I noticed wet spots on the bed. Easily mistaken for pee but I've seen those spots before, slobber from a dog chewing a foot (Kenya used to obsessively chew a foot). I also noticed small blood stains on the bed spread. So, I set about checking my dogs over and found it was Nikon with the split nail that was the cause of the foot-chewing-slobber-mark and small blood stains. I arrived home on a Sat. night at midnight, Sunday he was basically lame on that leg, and so I took him to the vet Monday afternoon as soon as there was an open spot (April 17). He originally was on Simplicef(sp?) and Deramax(sp?). After the round of Simplicef it looked better and he was not showing pain or discomfort, but then it got worse again so we went back and were given the Cephlex and powder (May 9). Our next appointment is already scheduled for May 31.

Luckily, the pad does not seem swollen. It's not red and he is not bothered when we touch or even squeeze it hard. If you see hair loss that is from the tape used to keep the wrappings on and waterproof. The only thing that hurts is if you actually touch the tissue inside the nail. Now it seems it starts to itch when it is not covered but that is rare, only when I'm changing the wrap or it gets ripped off and I'm preparing a new one. I can pick at the little remaining pieces of nail and he doesn't mind. I've been able to keep trimming back the broken pieces of nail without much more than a flinch from Nikon. I've also had my girlfriends at training check it every weekend, as changes are more obvious to them once a week, since I see the foot several times a day and get to thinking it's better or worse but it's hard for me to really see change.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 06:59 PM

I think those patio blocks that he posed on was the culprit for his toe...bet he got caught in one when running.
I'm glad he's good with the muzzle, that would have been worse if you had to keep a cone on him.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 07:10 PM

Okay, good, there was a reason for the injury. I don't want to overreact, but you have to be careful with toe stuff.

Max had that happen to his dew claw and they cut it back.

About a week or two after that, this developed:

It required removal of the dew claw after that, the vet thinking it was something sinister. Luckily they didn't find anything but gobs of inflammatory cells and reactive bone?

Anyway! You might try soaking in warm epsom salts? I don't know if that would sting though? I've found that aloe vera gel helps too.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/17/11 07:32 PM

I've been soaking once a day, warm water and epsom salts. He doesn't seem to mind.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/18/11 09:34 AM

OW Lisa that one looks raw!

First, we soak (and I gentle massage the pads to work out any dirt)

Then, I gently towel dry the foot, trim off any extra nail if I can, and pick out any hairs or dirt. This is what it looks like clean. That dead piece of nail on the bottom is really loose. I tried to pull it off last night and he didn't even care, but it didn't come off yet.

Then, I powder it (a lot!)

Finally, I put a sock on it and tape it in two spots which keeps the sock from sliding down and bunching. I have to go get more socks today since I'm out of rags (if he's not crated, he wears a hole through the sock in a few hours).

If he goes outside, he either wears a "boot" over the sock, or I put more tape around the foot to waterproof it.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/18/11 11:55 AM

He's so handsome but that nail, blecchhhhhh!

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/18/11 11:59 AM

I know, and I can't wait until that dead chunk falls off for good!
Posted by: jarn

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/18/11 01:23 PM

Aww, what a good boy to have his foot soaked. I hope the dead chunk falls off soon.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 12:59 AM

Looks like spa day, only it's not so fun for him!!

What a good boy smile

I never thought of the double wrap - the vet wrap in two places like that. I had a heck of a time keeping that darned paw wrapped. I completely understand what you are going through.

I do hope he heals quickly, so glad there isn't any generalized inflammation around there!

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 11:48 AM

Yeah the double tape is excessive but really helps keep the sock on. Lately I've just been taping it above the foot, then I pull the top of the sock back down over it, and tape it there again so it's not taped on the hock. The trick is taping it so it can't slide, but not taping it so tight that it cuts off circulation. I've tried lots of tape (various medical tape) but so far, the duct tape is working the best, and it's the most water proof (has been raining here for...I can't even remember how long now). My mom wears all her socks through at the heel so last night she gave me a bunch of pairs for Nikon.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 02:45 PM

LOL, forgot you said it was duct tape - love it!

I save my old crummy socks for dusting, but used up my stash with Max when he did this. Now that I know he's allergic to cotton, I'm using some cheap $10 booties when his paws are trashed. But, as you said, I worry about the breathing...

I hope you don't have to do this for too much longer!

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 03:49 PM

Lisa have you ever used dogbooties.com? You can get booties for $2.50. I'm going to order a bunch of them since Nikon wore out his other ones (different kind, from the pet store).

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 05:13 PM

No, I hadn't ever seen that site before. Wow, what a great resource:
http://dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html

These are the ones I've been using when Max's paws get torn up:
http://www.petguys.com/-030172845030.html?productid=-030172845030
he can't really walk that well in them, they don't fit well, but for a cover when I go to work to keep him from getting at his paws, or at night, they have been working okay.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 05:30 PM

Falon gave Nikon the Toughtek with the Velstretch strap. I like that the strap is somewhat elastic. He wore a medium and it fit on his hind foot over the other wrapping. I like that one b/c the material is waterproof, has some grip, but isn't rigid or thick. Basically I just need something a bit tougher than the sock, not slippery on the wood floors, and water proof so for the price it's the best option. Unfortunately Pan got hold of it so now I owe Falon another but I'm ordering a bunch for him and any future issues.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 05:43 PM

I like that the Toughtek give traction. Do you know if there is any cotton in the material?

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/19/11 08:32 PM

Not sure, I'd guess not because it feels more like rubber. Not sure about the velcro straps though.

Re: Nikon's foot - is it better? - 05/20/11 12:58 AM

Thanks...I'm thinking that the straps don't matter so much. I might try them, I have to order some new somethings....soon!