Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included)

Posted by: DianaB

Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/05/10 01:56 PM

We dropped off Siena this morning at the vet. This is the day that she gets her new hip. I'm trying not to fret as I sit (im)patiently by the phone waiting for the "we're done" call... hating the waiting.

Hopefully we will get to go back this evening and see her. I hope she does well under anesthesia...that's always my big concern. And yesterday I read about poor (Chimo?) who didn't make it through surgery and my heart just sank. Richard says I'm too attached (he is too, really, I just wear my heart on my sleeve).

She, on the other hand thought we might be going to Pt. Isabel, so I think she may be feeling betrayed, but didn't have a clue when we took her in.

Posted by: Northern GSDs

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:04 PM

Sending positive thoughts your way - hope everything goes well!
Posted by: Elf Arrow

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:04 PM

Sending much positive energy for Siena hugging
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:06 PM

hugging sending positive thoughts your way!
Posted by: Cassidy's Mom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:06 PM

Good luck to you guys!
Posted by: GrandJan

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:26 PM

Good thoughts and prayers coming your way!
Posted by: Karin

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:35 PM

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy, easy recovery!
Posted by: Strana1

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:38 PM

I am thinking you! hugging
Posted by: Skywalkerlady

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:46 PM

Positive thoughts being beamed your way.
Posted by: Barb E

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:52 PM

*Zooming good thoughts south, and a bunch a hugging*
Posted by: LukesMom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 02:54 PM

Wishing for a successful procedure and a quick recovery.
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:02 PM

Thinking of Siena today.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:03 PM

Thinking good thoughts for Sienna!
Posted by: Jason L

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:12 PM

Hoping everything goes well and a quick recovery.
Posted by: Shilohsmom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:21 PM

hugging My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us posted.
Posted by: Sylv

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:24 PM

Thinking of you!!
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:37 PM

Sending positive thoughts that everything goes well today!

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:53 PM

Thanks, everyone. We appreciate the good wishes and prayers. So far, so good. I just got off the phone with the doc and he said everything went well and she is out of recovery and "out like a log" (the assistant said she would be seeing pink elephants today from the good pain meds). He indicated she did well under anesthesia and the surgery itself went off exactly as planned. He said sometimes they get in and have to slightly modify the plan, but in her case, it was exactly what they expected to do. I call back between 4 and 6PM tonight for another update (earlier if I need any reassurance).

He recommended that we do not visit tonight (boo hoo) because although the visit is great for the dog, it's leaving the dog that they tend to struggle with. We wondered if we stayed til she fell asleep if that mattered, but agreed to listen to the doc.

I'm working from home today and boy does it feel lonely in this house without her.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 03:56 PM

Sending many positive and healing thoughts for Siena! I visited my dog Massie after her hip surgery. She was loopy but glad to see me.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Sending many positive and healing thoughts for Siena! I visited my dog Massie after her hip surgery. She was loopy but glad to see me.

How soon after did you visit??

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:05 PM

Glad to hear such a positive report, what a relief!!
Posted by: Shilohsmom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:47 PM

Glad to hear she made it through surgery and is doing well. I hope they let you visit with her soon.

hugging
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:50 PM

Hang in there! It sounds like all good news, and may it be an easy and smooth recovery for her from here on out!
Posted by: doubletrouble

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:51 PM

It's always such a relief when you know they are out of surgery and all went well. Positive thoughts for a quick, uneventful recovery gsdsit
Posted by: Bradyddr

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 04:55 PM

I am so glad she made it thru surgery
yes I agree with the Dr. about not going to see her
I know its a lot eaiser said then done but its better for her not to get upset you will be there soon enough to get her!

Have a few drinks and relax before you know it she'll be home with you
xoxoxox
Posted by: 3dogcrew

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 05:53 PM

My Crew and I are sending healing thoughts !
Posted by: GraciesMommy

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 06:02 PM

hugging
Posted by: GrandJan

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 06:04 PM

Great news! thumbup Here's hoping the time goes quickly until she's back home with you.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: DianaB
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow

How soon after did you visit??

I visited her on the same day of her surgery, in the late afternoon/early evening. I did the same when she had her knee surgery. She was a dog who was extremely attached to me and I wanted to see her to be sure she was ok and also to let her know that I hadn't abandoned her. smile

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 09:44 PM

The doctor said things are looking good for Siena. I'm relieved. Her xrays are good and she is resting comfortably. We will get the next 'official' pupdate in the morning, but I will check again before I go to bed. Thanks for everyone's well wishes.
Posted by: mspiker03

Re: In surgery right now - 03/05/10 11:54 PM

Glad she made it through surgery and everything is going well!

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 03:48 AM

Great news to hear Diana! Sending wishes for a speedy recovery process!!
Posted by: arycrest

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 12:03 PM

So glad to hear that the surgery went well. Sending lots of positiive vibes her way for a speedy recovery!
Posted by: gsdmomOH

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 12:48 PM

I am sending positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery and Im glad surgery went well.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 05:09 PM

Glad surgery went well and your gal is doing good. Unless one of my dogs is not doing well with the care, then I tend to listen to my vet and not visit.

Zooming healing thoughts your way.

Val

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 06:59 PM

So glad to hear it went well and there wasn't any unexpected "stuff"!!!
hugging

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 08:48 PM

Siena came home today about 3 hours ago. The doc called this morning to tell me that she was doing well and was getting restless. She seems most at ease while home if I am sitting with her. She was able to relax, but when I got up and left her area, she woke and started whining again. She has about a 6 inch incision and is doing some "knuckling" on the affected leg. She's been loaded up with medicines... 21 days for antibiotics, 7 anti-inflammatory and pain/relaxant meds too.. She had an accident in the pen, I noticed the pillow and bedding soaked. She had the longest pee ever before we got in the car to come home. She's gotten restless again... back soon.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 09:08 PM

If I recall from indy's TPO, the first couple days/nights are tough, and tough on you emotionally. Hang in there, it will get better, and you will become increasingly convinced that you did the right thing.

Indy's monster vet, after Indy had her pelvis sawed through in 3 places, gave her no pain meds. Just thinking about those couple of days still makes me want to throw up. Sienna will have a much easier time, but it will still be a bit tough on the both of you.

Hang in there, so glad that she is home.
Posted by: Bennett

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 10:02 PM

Diana,

I've been away from the forum for a few days and just saw your post. I'm so glad Siena's surgery went well and I hope she has a speedy recovery! I"ve enjoyed seeing pictures of her and hearing stories so much since I joined the "old" forum a few months ago. She's a beautiful girl! I went through back surgery with my last GSD, so I know how anxious those first few days home can be, but your TLC will make all the difference to her.

Best wishes!

Re: In surgery right now - 03/06/10 10:35 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am holding up pretty good, but it's only been 5 hours now... I got her to settle down by just petting her and then she got much more relaxed and not so whimpery. I put an ice pack on the hip as I know from my joint surgeries that it helps with swelling etc. She is definitely incontinent (sp?) and is dribbling all over. I noticed it when she moved to her bed and I was petting her, I noticed a big wet spot on one of the pillows. Off to wash them all (had not anticipated this). Of course, paranoid me called the vet to see if this was normal (he said yes because of the anesthesia combined with the tranquilizers) and should resolve itself in a day or two. We didn't plan for this. I was thinking it pinched a nerve or something.

Getting her around I find a bit difficult (makes my low back hurt). She wants to move quite quickly and I have to hold the back end with the sling and the front end to control the speed. I suspect I will get used to it.

Richard has taken some photos and will probably blog about it. Not sure about posting pics as it might be disturbing to some (I am ok with that stuff, only once has it bothered me, so opinions would be nice).

The nice bit... the $ was the low end... actually about $50 below the low estimate. Yippee... the poor other doggie had an elbow replacement and they went way over because once they got inside, some things had to be changed.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 01:25 AM

If you had been warned about the incontinence, you could have been prepared with a mattress cover to help with the clean-ups. I have some here, the non-fitted kind, I got them at Walmart. The larger ones fit a twin size. You can get smaller ones in the baby section. I'm glad that it's normal, because somethign like that might freak me out a bit, thinking that something went wrong! yeah for normal!

If you decide to post pics, we'll just make sure to put a "graphic" note in the subject, and I'll also change the original title, then folks can decide if they want to look or not. That is, if you decide to post them. Or if they are posted on Richard's blog(?), you could put a link in your post, however you want to deal with it.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 02:13 AM

She seems to be dry for now, so here's to hoping that part is done. I had bath rugs in the crate, so it stayed moderately clean, but I can't bathe her until suture removal. Will be off to get some sleep soon.

Her appetite is good though smile
Posted by: Elmos Mom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 11:50 AM

Sending good thoughts for Siena's recovery. Hang in there. It will get easier.

Glad to her her appetite is good.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 11:54 AM

I think these threads are so good for future THR people/dogs to read, thank you for sharing what is a stressful experience for you all. Hoping that it's all nice and quiet now. I think they have some residual stress after being at the vet, if they are that kind of dog.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 12:11 PM

Siena seems to be doing well. She slept until about 4AM then started pacing back and forth. I took her out for a pee (the bed was still dry, thankfully) and gave her the next round of pain/sedative meds, then she fell asleep. Overall, not a bad night (although I slept on the couch to be near her and slept with one eye open). She is drinking and eating well. The doc said that likely tomorrow (Monday), she will turn a corner and we will wonder if she really had surgery smile Keeping her busy without exercise will definitely be a challenge... 12-16 weeks...ugh I just put up a calendar so we can cross out each day.

As for the vets, she is remarkably good given all the times she's had to be there overnight or for surgeries. This was a brand new location/vet so the unknown was definitely there. She's so vocal...always telling the vet what is going on with her smile

Her first poo (yesterday) was actually very good. We're giving her fast balance gi while she's on the antibiotics because they will for sure give her diarrhea (most things do), plus it helps with stress, etc. That is the next thing I will keep an eye out on is diarrhea.

She is a sneaky one though. We've had the 'cone of shame' on her since she came home. I take it off when she eats and when I can watch her closely. She just finished breakfast and was being calm and not touching the stitches so I left the room to go potty... I heard a funny sound (thought maybe she decided to check out her bully stick) so I ran out and yup, she was trying to pull out her stitches. Thankfully she didn't do any damage and I'm glad I got there when I did. That would not have been good. So, the cone is back on semi-permanently for the next 10 days til they come out. Once the cone is off, she can sleep in the small crate in our room, but for now, she would get caught up in the crate so will leave her in the family room and set up camp there instead.

I'm happy to keep the thread going for others to see. It certainly was helpful when Kathy (Kayos) shared her story with me, it helped me understand the process a bit better (esp. recovery). The pics helped too.

I will ask one of the mods (Lisa?) to modify the title, if that is helpful for the future. Still working on getting the pics loaded...hopefully today sometime.

Thanks again for all the support. We appreciate it!!

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 02:22 PM

Great news Diana - glad to hear that things are going well!

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/07/10 10:35 PM

Here are some pics Siena wanted us to post...

This is Siena looking quite perky after coming home after surgery. Don't let her fool you, she's loopy in all the other pics and we want her to look her best. You can see the scar (about 6 inches) on her left hip. She has some adhesion marks on her hip from the bandage (removal). Like mom, she has sensitive skin.

A close up of the back end (nice and neat). When we first saw her, she came with the right side to us and we gasped when we saw the bare leg... kind of looks like a skinny ole chicken leg, with a sock smile

Here is her mini-condo ... her second bed (just outside the view on the left) is now inside the xpen so she can have an alternate place to lay. She'll be in this 95% of the time for the next who knows how long, few months, I suppose.

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 10:44 PM

Awww, look at that poor baby with her naked leg! frown Hope she's feeling better soon, but not TOO good or it's going to be even more of a challenge to keep her from overdoing it.
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 11:10 PM

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping Siena has a gentle recuperation. She looks like such a sweetheart. wub

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/07/10 11:31 PM

I just set up our indoor security camera so at least I can monitor her movements if I am at work (which I will have to be at some point). My sister will come and help when she can once I return to the office (15th).

Yeah, she looks pretty pathetic and she is a sweetheart!
Posted by: Kayos

Re: In surgery right now - 03/07/10 11:56 PM

How did I miss this????? thinking

I had been thinking it was almost time for Siena's surgery and I came looking for a post and found it - a few days late. imsorry

I am happy to hear it went well. Her recovery will go quickly and as soon as you can start light walking you will see her attitidue get better too.

The first few days are tough but you are about through that now and it will be steady improvement from here.

As the muscles heal you will see her use the leg better and the knuckling with her toes will go away.

I will have to check back tonight to see the pics, can't see them at work and I really want to compare her incision to Kayos'.

Keep this thread going with her recovery! We another THR sticky and we lost Kayos' on the other board.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/07/10 11:57 PM

She looks pretty good for what she's been through!! That's a great set-up you have for her, I sure hope that the recovery goes quickly and smoothly!
Posted by: Karin

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 11:36 AM

Aww.... that sad face.... But she looks very comfortable and it's great that the surgery is over and she's on the mend. We hope she continues to improve and makes a full recovery from this. Dave sends special get well greetings to Siena as he had his hip replaced last September (and is doing great!) I couldn't help noticing that her scar is very similar to Dave's.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 12:28 PM

I ended up taking out the pillows last night as they seemed to be crowding her. I left only one so she can rest her head. She slept through most of the night, which is good. I consulted with the doc about the meds and weening her off and his response was

"practically about 1/2 of dogs need the higher level of pain relievers for 3d the other 1/2 seem to need them longer, on the order of 10d. That kind of puts the avg in at about 7d -- for the highest combinations. You already have a sense now when she is restless -- I would stay at the current doses/schemes until you are not seeing that, than we can talk about the decrease. I believe we dispensed enough metacam for a week -- that would be a good time to determine if she needs any more. sound like a plan? Don't need to worry too much about going too long with the meds -- too short, in my opinion is a bigger (less humane) error to make....."

So after reading that (and being on the conservative end of the medicine spectrum), we increased it by half a pill (both pain and sedative) and she seemed MUCH better.

The potty trips can be a bit of a hassle. She wants to move so fast and we've got a leash on her collar and a sling on the back end and she just goes... I can barely keep up. She started whining about midnight, so I took her out for a poop (yeah, first one of the day). Not a fabulous one, on the soft side, but with all the meds, I can accept that if they don't get worse!

You know how they get 'frantic' about finding that perfect spot to poop? well, it's hard for the human to keep up!
Posted by: GSD07

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 01:32 PM

I'm so happy that Siena got her new hip! You made such a wonderful set up for her, I'm sure she will be very comfortable. Her recovery will go quickly!

I remember the first night when we took Yana out to potty, it was raining hard with a wet snow, so my husband was holding her leash and sling and I was holding umbrella over her, and she was looking for her perfect spot smile

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GSD07
I'm so happy that Siena got her new hip! You made such a wonderful set up for her, I'm sure she will be very comfortable. Her recovery will go quickly!

I remember the first night when we took Yana out to potty, it was raining hard with a wet snow, so my husband was holding her leash and sling and I was holding umbrella over her, and she was looking for her perfect spot smile

We're set to get rain today and tomorrow, so that will be an added challenge for sure. I'm on my own during the day and don't think I could handle the umbrella, sling AND leash smile I might just have to throw on her rain coat at least to protect the surgery site. I don't worry about me getting wet (aside from slippery floors). She likes to 'run' outside and lay down. Decided that taking her to the back yard is too big of a trek, so have been taking her out front instead (half the distance).

She's out like a light now and appears to be 'chasing rabbits' in her sleep... so cute! At least she's sleeping well enough that she can dream (probably first time in a few days).

How long did you have to use the sling for? Kathy said one month for her. I suspect it will be much easier when it is just the leash control needed. I hope my low back survives!
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 03:41 PM

I'm wondering if you would have better control with a harness - if you had one hand up at her shoulders and one hand on the sling?

Maybe just use the front of this one with the sling? http://www.helpemup.com/flashmovie.html

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 04:02 PM

I've not seen this one before, Joanne. We have two no pull harnesses and I am considering putting one of those back on her. At least it's something I have in house. I started with one of them and loosened it up for comfort, but I loosened it too much and her elbow kept getting caught so I took it off and just haven't put it back on yet. I like it because it gives me something mid-back to grab on to and also has a metal o-ring that I can attach a leash, if I want to. I'll wait til she eats again and the cone is off and put one back on and see how much better it is to work with. Some of it is just figuring out the right 'tools' to use. Too many options smile
Posted by: Kayla's Dad

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 04:23 PM

Glad to see Siena made it through and is recuperating at home. Hope for a quick and steady recovery. The setup looks great.
Posted by: GSD07

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 05:08 PM

Diana, we used the sling for a month as well. The surgeon said that if she slips and falls than everything would be torn apart and she will need to have another surgery, so we were religious about using the sling and keeping her contained.

I love the harness from the link, I wish I had something like this! It was very hard for me and my friend to lift Yana into and out of my friend's SUV when taking her to the vet (we both are about 5'1" smile ).

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: GSD07
Diana, we used the sling for a month as well. The surgeon said that if she slips and falls than everything would be torn apart and she will need to have another surgery, so we were religious about using the sling and keeping her contained. We are following exactly the docs directions as I don't want her to have to go through this ever again!

I love the harness from the link, I wish I had something like this! It was very hard for me and my friend to lift Yana into and out of my friend's SUV when taking her to the vet (we both are about 5'1" smile ).

I'll look into getting one of these. In end of January she went lame on her front elbow (short term), but the vet indicated we need to be careful when exiting the car, so we bought a ramp and have trained her to go up and down. There is NO WAY I could get her in the vehicle if she can't jump in herself and we have one vehicle (van) that is very tall and she can't get in it anyhow. Will get to officially try it when I take her to get the sutures out later next week. She did get in ok (too fast for my liking) when we picked her up after surgery, just have to be sure to stabilize her for it.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/08/10 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
How did I miss this????? thinking

I had been thinking it was almost time for Siena's surgery and I came looking for a post and found it - a few days late. imsorry

I am happy to hear it went well. Her recovery will go quickly and as soon as you can start light walking you will see her attitidue get better too.

The first few days are tough but you are about through that now and it will be steady improvement from here.

As the muscles heal you will see her use the leg better and the knuckling with her toes will go away.

I will have to check back tonight to see the pics, can't see them at work and I really want to compare her incision to Kayos'.

Keep this thread going with her recovery! We another THR sticky and we lost Kayos' on the other board.

Please don't apologize. I know you are counting the days for something else smile So happy for you getting to go home (probably about the same time she gets her sutures out and can ditch the cone of shame).

To me, the hip looks pretty much the same as the pics you shared of Kayos, all the way down to the sling. Except different hip. I found your information so helpful I hope I can do the same for others in the future.

She is barking right now cuz I think it is hailing outside (hmmm, that will be interesting when potty time comes back around).

I'm hoping tomorrow I can start on doing something that can uplift her spirits, even if it is bring her favorite tug/ball in so she can chew on it. I know she will be out of it and may not show interest. Plus, I want to have some people that she likes/knows over. My sister visited and it was the first time her tail wagged (even didn't when she saw us... can't imagine why whistling

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 01:14 AM

Siena seems to have perked up a bit this evening (after sleeping most of the day). Daddy got home and decided to get on the laptop to do his Drivers School class (he was a baaaaad boy) and Siena decided she wanted to help him learn.

I had to go to Petco for a bigger lampshade... realized she can still reach her stitches (barely, but she can) with the XL size, so I had to get the largest one they had. It's only for another week or so, but don't want any issues with the sutures. I also picked up a small ball for her to chew (she likes it).

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 01:24 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the updates. She's looking great! wub Somewhere I have a picture of Massie with that big scar and Cleo sleeping with her. Luckily she was a very calm dog so I didn't have to keep her contained at all. I think you're taking great care of Siena! hugging

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 07:21 AM

In general Siena is pretty mellow. She has gotten restless again (of course when it is time for me to go to bed). It is odd. She almost seems to be irritated and goes back and forth and in circles then lays down gets up right away and repeats. I can calm her if I sit with her or sit and stroke her. Just did that now for about 10 min and she is calm again.

Anyone know why she might react this way??

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 10:44 AM

Kayos did this too. I wonder if they have been laying around so much they just have some energy they need to get rid of. Kind of like us sitting in one spot too long and needing to get up to stretch our legs.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 11:38 AM

Also remember that GSD's like their routines. You brake the normal routine and they seem to get a little restless.

She looks pretty happy in the picture.

Val

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 02:06 PM

Thanks Kathy and Val. I'm still trying to figure her out. She goes to one bed, scratches/digging, spins around in circles 4 or 5 times, digs some more, then plops down. Two minutes later, she goes to the other bed, does the same (almost looks like she's frustrated) and goes back and forth. It kind of stresses me out (probably because I want to help, but can't).

She also does this when she goes potty. If I take more than a second to put the sling on, she plops down and refuses to get back up. Once outside, pacing pacing, circle circle (ok, I am dizzy now) and then lays down.

It's almost the same reaction to when she has a sticker or some kind of burr in her backend hair that is caught. There's a sense of urgency in everything she does. Guess I'm just not used to it.

I am very tired today. She woke me up about 3 times last night with her restlessness. I think a nap is in order on my lunch break smile

Thanks again for the support. It is nice to talk to others who have done this too (so I know what is normal or not).

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 04:06 PM

4 Full days post surgery. Things are starting to heal, all along the incision the skin is knitting back together, so she is probably getting little twitchings going on and she doesn't know what to do. Also was she more prone to lay on the side that had surgery. All of my dogs are more partial to laying one way than another.

Val

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 04:13 PM

I can't say if I recall her sleeping on one side or the other while laying down. Right now, she is primarily laying on the right side (surgery side up) and occasionally on the surgery side down, but not for long. She just looks so stressed out when she acts like this. Your explanation makes sense to me...

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 06:03 PM

It is amazing how I can overlook the obvious sometimes. I just talked to the vet tech that was in Siena's surgery (she was calling for an update). She explained that the 'fit' that Siena seems to be having now and again is likely both the incision healing but also the prosthetic (duh) moving around. How did I never think of that. She thinks Siena is getting strange sensations and doesn't know how to deal with it, so she just kind of freaks out and paws/digs at the bedding, walks (almost spins) in circles, just being erratic.

The 21 days of antibiotics (yuck) are so her body does not reject the prosthetic. Although the primary surgeon has done many many hip replacements, he had not done this specific type (Kyon) of hip. They collaberated with a specialist in this hip (http://www.svanimal.com/vets.php) and he flew in for Siena's surgery (and a couple other dogs too during the few days he was in town). Dr. Acker was teaching our vet how to do this. Does this make Siena a guinea pig now?

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/09/10 06:45 PM

That makes sense, that she feels weird and different, but doesn't understand why.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/10/10 05:18 PM

I can't help but laugh at this video. I was talking to a coworker about Siena's loopiness and he sent me this link. I think if Siena could talk, this is what she would say :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

Going to start backing down on the pain meds today. The vet thinks it could be causing some of her restlessness.

She has yet to get up and out to potty since last night at 8:30. Don't know if that should concern me or not. I know nothing.

Last night it hit me... I'm tired, her fits are stressful (afraid she will hurt herself), she removed the cone during the middle of the night and made another attempt (unsuccessful) of removing the stitches. I'm overloaded with work (office) and can't concentrate much. I've asked to take off Friday and Monday so I can have some 'me' time (even though I'll still be home). Told Richard i'll probably have cabin fever when the week is done and will need to escape on Saturday for some more 'me' time. I thought this would be hard, but in a different way than it actually is.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/14/10 11:50 PM

Today is day 9 post surgery. I'm finally starting to see hints of Siena re-emerging. I left for a few hours today and came home to her snoozing in the crate, surrounded by 5 (yes five) of her favorite balls. Friday evening she had some interest in the ball, so we brought out one of the small vinyl balls and sat near her and just tossed it to her as she lay down. At one point the ball bounced off her nose and went behind her. She got up, walked over to it and brought it back. Richard and I just stopped and looked at each other thinking she's not done that since surgery. Saturday morning I decided to have a bit of a sleep in and Richard was getting ready to go for a bike ride with some friends. As I was in bed, I could hear Siena howling in the living room. After a minute or two, I got out of bed and came out. She was howling because she wanted to go be with Richard (who had opened the garage door to load the van). She was not content just being in the living room (normally she 'helps' him load). When Richard came back in, he told me that she willingly got up to go out to potty (a first as it has been pulling teeth so far). All of this is a step in the right direction.

Today is her first day without the pain meds, but is still getting the ace every 12 hours. She is very antsy without the ace so the doctor has encouraged us to continue using it. We tried to go down to a half, but wasn't enough. Our regular vet called on Thursday and indicated that the ace will probably cause her to not feel herself, which will be stressful and could lead to diarrhea. I am very torn about that. Surgeon says to use it, regular vet says not to. We decided we would rather deal with some diarrhea than have her mess up the surgery and I feel since the surgeon is the expert in this, I have to listen to him...even if I don't fully agree.

Well, the bad news is the poos have been getting softer and softer over the past few days and last night was full on diarrhea frown She didn't even want to eat her dinner. She still has 12 days of antibiotics left (they won't budge on that due to possible rejection of the prosthetic by the body). The metacam stopped on Saturday (and have restarted DGP which hopefully will help her tummy). Tramadol is stopped (this may be causing diarrhea) and the ace is still in play til who knows when.

I did decide to go put her on bland food (oats and beef and pumpkin) and cooked that up tonight. Hopefully that will help her get the tum back on track. With our luck it's the cephalexin (antibiotic).

Tomorrow we're going to start our new routine, replacing exercise with something (training, ball toss, etc.) and see how that goes. I go back to work on Tuesday.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/14/10 11:59 PM

For the tummy, probiotics and l-glutamine capsules or powder? Maybe slippery elm or marshmallow?

Ugh, I hate cephalexin, it tears up the digestive system in my dogs - Indy vomits within 10 minutes of it now.

I love that she is doing so well though, and playing with her balls, all 5 of them wub

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 12:41 AM

Cephalexin is rough on the digestive system!

Try the slippery elm but you need to give it an hour from the meds. It will hopefully make her gut feel better!

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 02:23 PM

It's tough when one part is going so well and another isn't. hugging

I agree with the slippery elm, I use Phytomucil (has SE in it), and it's been a life saver!
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 02:32 PM

Don't get her too firm if she can't push it out though right? They need to use their legs to help boost the poop don't they? Of course, not saying you want her to have diarrhea, but I kept my ortho girls poop softer with canned food.

I think Tramadol would bind wouldn't? That might be why she's a bit antsy? http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html (constipation)

So something to make her tummy feel okay and her poop easy to get out without bearing down, or am I overthinking the poop process too much?

wink

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 05:36 PM

Siena's diet has included slippery elm (2 tsp a day) for about two years now, as well as petdophilus for the past year. Whe her tum is bad, like now, we've added in Fast Balance GI which is a heavy duty probiotic and usually does wonders. I am always hesitant to use yogurt because of the dairy, that doesn't always agree.

I've not tried l-glutamine... where would I find that? Is it a human supplement too? I've heard of it, but not sure where to get it.

No BM yesterday (always a good sign) and this morning, she went out and had a half decent poop (formed, but soft) with the ending being a bit mushier and a bit of what we call 'follow up' where they walk a few feet, try again, walk a few more feet, try again (I think you get the picture).

The doc agrees it is likely the antibiotic, but he is hesitant to take her off too early (and I agree). If I can manage it through diet and supplements for another 10 days (today is our half way mark on the ab) then we'll be ok.

She happily ate the oats/beef mixture last night and this morning (usually wont' eat in the morning) so that is good.

It's difficult to space these things out (esp. when I return to work tomorrow). Meds in AM and dinner, probiotics at lunch and bedtime is how we do it now.

Phytomucil ... is that like metamucil? we have tons of that, but again, would have to space it out so it doesn't inhibit the antibiotic absorbtion.

Jean... we have never had any issue with constipation or hard poos (well, literally maybe one or two). She seems to be able to pee and poo normally with little discomfort. She is getting more canned food right now than normal and could also be part of the problem. She likes it though and we use it to hide her meds in it which works well. Putting just a bit (half can per day) in her meal to help it taste better.

I used to take Tramadol for my neck and it definitely gave me the constipation, but hasn't seemed to do that for Siena. Doc says it could be one or all the meds collectively doing this. She's down to two now, the ab and sedative so hopefully that will help it ease up a bit.

Overthink poop??? never! Poop has been a huge discussion over her entire life.

Oh, she gets her sutures out on Thursday morning (yeah!) and will get an exam from the surgeon too so he can check her progress.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 11:16 PM

Probioitics and Antibiotics do not give at the same time. Allow if you can 4 hours between on to the other. If you don't the ABX works really hard at killing the tummy bacteria and may not have enough strength left for the stuff it is suppose to kill.

Val

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/15/10 11:43 PM

I think metamucil can be pretty constipating for some.

L-glutamine is great for healing the digestive tract, it's one of my favorite supps. I buy the stuff for humans, have found tablets not so effective, capsules are effective, and powder the most effective (I mix it in a bit of apple juice before bedtime). Anywhere between 500 mg to 5000 mg daily. Probably somewhere in the middle of that range would be a good starting point.

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery (pics included) - 03/16/10 01:12 AM

I do space out the ab and pb. Didn't know this until recently (from a board posting) so am aware of the needed time between. I find the capsules in most things are generally better than tablets anyhow and powder more than that. I'll check out the l-glutamine. Do you take it, Lisa? or do you give it to the dogs in apple juice? (just curious as I don't think Siena would like apple juice).

prepping to go to bed soon... have to face the work office tomorrow after 10 days away... that's always FUN smile Hopefully if Siena gets up, she'll spend her first night in there since surgery. Fingers crossed.

Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/17/10 12:44 PM

Today I received the pre and post op xrays from Siena's recent hip replacement. These are much clearer than the ones I originally posted on the other forum and you can see how bad it was before the surgery. She was relatively active for having such bad hips (really shows in Pre-Op#3) and we think she has a high threshhold for pain since she obviously broke it at one point and NEVER limped until 6 months ago.

I am posting similar views, the first being pre-op then comparing post-op.

Pre-Op#1

Post-Op#1

Pre-Op#2

Post-Op#2

Pre-Op#3

Post-Op #3

Pre-Op#4

Post-Op#4

She is still sleeping in the living room. Can't be bothered to get up and walk to the bed room. She is, however, taking us on laps around the yard when we have the potty break. She's really starting to see improvements and get stronger every day. We've almost gotten through the first two weeks (2 more days). She's got her follow up with the doc tomorrow and will get her sutures out. Then, we'll see what is next.

I sent a note to the doc about me coming home and finding her in the crate surrounded by her balls... his response was "What a GREAT update! I absolutely love the thought that she is gathering up her toys....what a wonderful image....and it's why I do what i do smile Look forward to seeing you on Thurs." It totally made me smile! StPatDance

Oh, and the other bit of great news is she had a PERFECT POO last night groovy Guess what we're doing with the oatmeal and ground beef while on the meds is working - yippee. 9 more days on the antibiotics... the countdown begins...

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/17/10 01:04 PM

Diana that is just great. Neat comparison x-rays.

With my dogs when they have to have ABX I just put them on home cooked right away. I figure it is a nice treat for them since some of the ABX can be pretty hard on the digestive track and they like to stop eating kibble, with the home cooked it takes care of the no eating problem.

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/17/10 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Diana that is just great. Neat comparison x-rays.

With my dogs when they have to have ABX I just put them on home cooked right away. I figure it is a nice treat for them since some of the ABX can be pretty hard on the digestive track and they like to stop eating kibble, with the home cooked it takes care of the no eating problem.

I always seem to forget the obvious, such as this. Aside from the tylan, she hasn't been on abx for a while (a bit for her aural hematoma, but only 3 days). It's so hard to cook so much food, but I'm happy to do it for a couple more weeks - after all, I did it for a full year, so this is a vacation smile

I am happy to see the x-rays like this too. I suspected he'd only send the new xrays (post op) but sent me both, which was great, as you say, for a comparison.
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/17/10 07:32 PM

Wow.. I totally missed Siena's surgury!

I am glad to hear that everything went well and that she is on the mend!

You will need a vacation when this is all over, either that or a massage and a nice long nap! wink

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/17/10 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: elisabeth
Wow.. I totally missed Siena's surgury!

I am glad to hear that everything went well and that she is on the mend!

You will need a vacation when this is all over, either that or a massage and a nice long nap! wink

Thanks very much AND I like the way you think thumbup

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/18/10 12:44 AM

What a great update and cool before and after shots. Keep up the good work you guys!!

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/18/10 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
What a great update and cool before and after shots. Keep up the good work you guys!!
We are quite happy things are progressing as they are. I can see the no exercise will be tough. She's already starting to get antsy. I started looking at the "Play with your dog" book and have seen a few things I can do there.

She's tearing apart (figuratively) her squeaky toys and balls now (and ignoring dinner ... ooh, she must know I wrote that she just took a couple of bites ... yeah). She is full of beans right now. I guess the good part is she's on her feet and using the leg.

Richard is in TX right now and I had him on speaker phone and he did is signature whistle and Siena kept tilting her head and she walked over to my phone and tapped it with her nose as Richard talked to her. So very cute! She can just melt our hearts sometimes (a lot, actually). wub

Have a nice evening everyone. Will status you when I see the doc tomorrow. Cheers.
Posted by: Buoyant Dog

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/18/10 02:25 AM

Wow! I'm glad the surgery went well Diana. No exercise might be hard, I know it would be hard for my pup. I wish you guys the best, and thanks for sharing.

P.S. Those x-rays are cool looking!
Posted by: Buoyant Dog

Re: Pre and Post Op Xrays - 03/18/10 03:22 AM

Wow! I'm glad the surgery went well Diana. No exercise might be hard, I know it would be hard for my pup. I wish you guys the best, and thanks for sharing.

P.S. Those x-rays are cool looking!

Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 02:24 AM

Today, Siena had her first appointment since her hip replacement. When we arrived, she was weighed and had lost three pounds. Her appetite is wishy washy so we expect this while she is on the antibiotics (one more week). On the positive side, this is less weight for her to carry while recovering.

The surgeon had her walk a bit and said she looks great. Said she is a great patient (and paid us some compliments too). He said that the prosthetic is pretty secure, but the muscle has to rebuild so it is strong enough to support her without the sling. So, we will need to continue to use the sling for rear support for the next four weeks.

I was very happy when he told me I can start taking her for very short walks (5 min) 3-5 times a day. I wasn't expecting that for at least another two weeks, so that was great. We will see them again at six weeks (in a month) and stay in touch via email in the interim for further guidance.

I took her out after work and I couldn't believe it was 80 degrees at 6PM! Amazing. I took her up the end of the road and over just a couple blocks and then back home. She wanted to keep going, but I can also see she's got some discomfort this evening (could be suture removal related or from the walk, or perhaps both) and is very antsy this evening.

He told me I can try rescue remedy (any users out there?) instead of the ace. He said if I have to count on the ace/sedative for her to stay calm, that I need to increase the amount. The pharmacutical note indicated that the liver starts to absorb it faster (so it wears off quicker), and that amounts will need to be increased, and that it is non-addictive.

I'll call my regular (holistic) vet and ask for his opinion on other remedies to take the edge off, and see if I can find an alternative that will work for her.

I am very pleased with her progress. Oh, and she can take her cone of shame through Sunday while the suture area settles, then we'll be past that hurdle. I do notice that if I take it off when I am home (and just watch her), that if I put it back on, then she settles down.

Cheers!

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 02:38 AM

Also, our physio 'homework' is to have her sit, then stand, then sit again. This encourages her to move the hip. Just have to be careful not to overdo it too fast.
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 03:37 AM

Sounds like great news!

I am sure those small walks will help with the restlessness too.

Good job!
Posted by: Kayla's Dad

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 11:01 AM

Sounds like you guys are making great progress in the recovery area! Glad to hear that things are going well!

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 01:44 PM

So glad that Siena is recovering well!

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 02:13 PM

That all sounds good.

Diana, here is post with different calming things.
http://www.germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=18107&page=1

Val

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/19/10 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
That all sounds good.

Diana, here is post with different calming things.
http://www.germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=18107&page=1

Val

Excellent. Thanks for the link. Lots of options and things to try. Better than drugs, I hope!

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/25/10 11:14 PM

Neat pics!! You posted these the day I flew from Iraq so I missed this thread totally. I wish Kayos had the Kyon hip, I think it looks like a better fitting implant.

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/27/10 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
Neat pics!! You posted these the day I flew from Iraq so I missed this thread totally. I wish Kayos had the Kyon hip, I think it looks like a better fitting implant.

The doc is pleased with the fit too. He's done lots of hips, but Siena is his first Kyon specific. He did a couple that weekend, all GSD's. Sounds like a great hip for them with the bone structure, etc. We've learned alot. Paid a bit extra for the Kyon export (Dr. Acker) to fly here to be the primary surgeon on it. But worth it in the long run, I hope.

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 03/27/10 11:57 PM

Hey Diana, glad Sienna is continuing to do well. Sure do hope to see some great "action" pics in the future!

As a slight hijack, those herbs that you gave us? I tried them on Max, he seemed to do well, but we switched to one that is supposed to help his fistula more. So they sat here for awhile. I've been using them for Indy, and I think she is doing very well on them. She thanks you very much!!

Re: Great news from Siena's surgeon - 05/22/10 03:25 AM

Hey everyone. You can see Siena's great news by following this new thread. I will post newest xrays once I have them converted into jpg files.

http://www.germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/44621/Run_Siena_Run.html#Post44621

party cheers fetch happyboogie groovy