My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment

Posted by: TimberWolf

My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 01:22 PM

So, next Tuesday, Max is scheduled for a dental cleaning, x-rays and blood work and I am freaking out because he will have to be under anesthesia. I have heard that it is a risk to put a dog under total anesthesia.

I would appreciate your sharing your experience with your dog's dental procedures/cleaning/anesthesia and any advise you may have regarding prior or after care or questions I should ask the Vet. Max is 8 years old.

Thanks

I hope I have this in the right forum this time.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 01:31 PM

I have never had a problem with any dog or any of my cats either. There is a risk with everyting but you need to weigh them. What will be the consequence of dental disease? If there are any evident issues with the bloodwork or sign of illness they will not put him under.

Thankfully, most dogs only need dentals every so often. Havoc had his first one at 4.5 and only because he needed xrays of his shoulders and I figured I would just have it done as it would need to be done within a year anyway and it saved a trip to the vet and anesthesia.

They say feeding raw substantially reduces the numebr of needed dentals. I do not feed raw so can't tell you if that is true. I think my dogs have dentals about every 4 years to 5 years. Kayos did not need one til she was 6, she will probably get another one next year and that might be all she ever needs. My old Max needed one every 2 years. Havoc could have gone 5 years I think.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 02:06 PM

A couple things, I always have the dogs pre-tested for anesthesia. If I am worried about vWd (von Willebrand's disease) http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/anderson/index.php Then I will have them Pre-tested.

There are risks, but there are also risks to not having some surgeries. Cheyenne had her first dental at 5 or 6 years old. She had another last year when she had a broken tooth.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 02:35 PM

Kathy, I am not sure I wouldn't mess up feeding my dogs raw. Have thought about it before but I am so clueless as to how to go about it including adding the right supplements, etc. I guess I am a chicken because I am afraid I am going to mess up and hurt my babies not feeding them correctly. Thank you for the reassurance that Max should be ok. Thank you so much.

Val, this is exactly the kind of specific info I need. They will be doing a blood test, so I am going to ask if they will check for a bleeding disorder. Max has had blood tests before but I am not sure they included this particular element. Thank you so much.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 03:20 PM

Aodhán had a few dentals over the years and never had a problems with them. But I never really liked having them done because of the sedation.

When Caleb was about a year old (so almost 2 years ago) I started given both of them one chicken leg a day after their evening meal. Their main diet was a grain-free kibble at the time. At Aodhán's next annuals visit after I did that, my vet looked at her teeth and said they looked great - no need for a cleaning. So you might be able to get away with doing something like that and feed mainly kibble. I don't think the one chicken leg a day horribly unbalances the diet.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
I started given both of them one chicken leg a day after their evening meal. Their main diet was a grain-free kibble at the time. At Aodhán's next annuals visit after I did that, my vet looked at her teeth and said they looked great - no need for a cleaning. So you might be able to get away with doing something like that and feed mainly kibble. I don't think the one chicken leg a day horribly unbalances the diet.

That sounds doable. Thanks. Did your dogs get diarrhea at first? Max's stomach is very sensitive and gets disturbed very easily. Did you give him just the leg bone or the bone with the meat and skin on it? I could try it using maybe 1/2 leg to start out with and see where that goes. I feed a grain free kibble as well and it seems to agree with my crew of three but that stuff just sticks on the teeth. That can't be good for the teeth.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 03:55 PM

Actually I started them with chicken wings, bone, meat and skin. I figured I'd start with something small to see how they did and tolerated it. Fortunately for me, neither Caleb or Aodhán had problems with sensitive stomach.

I believe that when I first started to do the legs, I took the skin off and gave them the meat and bone. When I saw they had no issues with that, I just gave them the whole leg - they usually amounted to about 5-6 ounces of meat and bone.

Maybe you could try wings and remove as much of the skin as possible as a starter?
Posted by: mspiker03

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 03:55 PM

I would start feeding maybe chicken drum sticks if you are looking for something smaller than quarters and feed them partially frozen. That will help make sure your dog chews the bone. I actually hand held leg quarters for a bit when I transitioned my dogs to raw when they were 2 (7.5 years old now and never have had a dental).
Posted by: TMarie

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: LMS

Val, this is exactly the kind of specific info I need. They will be doing a blood test, so I am going to ask if they will check for a bleeding disorder. Max has had blood tests before but I am not sure they included this particular element. Thank you so much.

They normally don't test for vWD unless you ask for it, or they have concerns and are testing for it to rule it out. It is important that you do ask about the vWD factor before any surgeries are performed. My Jarie has vWD and I found out the hard way.

Other then that, I have never had any problems during or after any dentals performed on any of mine. I have 2 of mine going in next month too.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 05:49 PM

Wow, you guys really inspire me to try this. I think I am going to try the wings and drumb sticks....one at the time..wait a day and see and if all is well, continue. I am going to do the same with my other two. I know they will enjoy this.

TMarie, I am going to have time to talk to the Vet tech on Tuesday when I drop him off and will tell them and will make sure they run the test. Thank you. I knew it was a good thing for me to post. This is so very helpful. Who knows..if the chicken stuff goes well I may try to venture out to more very slowly and learn as I go. Will see. So, I will try to find some specials. I am excited now. Thank you again for all of your help.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 06:46 PM

Has he ever had surgery before? That always makes me feel better.

This might help: http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/coags/bmbt.htm

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/23/12 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Has he ever had surgery before? That always makes me feel better. This might help: http://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/coags/bmbt.htm

The only serious procedure he has had was heartworm treatment but that did not require surgery. I don't remember if they did a blood test for that though. He had it done right after we adopted him several years ago. And he is neutered. So I guess that would have been the only surgery he had while he still was at the shelter. I have done other blood panels the first two years he has been with us because he came to us with many parasites and I wanted to be sure he recovered correctly. That, too has been several years ago, so I don't know if they checked for blot clotting potential but all tests came out good at those times. Thank you for the link Jean. This is very interesting. I have never heard of this before so I am glad and relieved it was mentioned here. I will definitely request them running that test to be sure.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 02:19 AM

I found that some raw beef bones every week would keep their teeth clean so that they didn't need dentals. One of mine had pancreas issues and the raw did bother her slightly, but giving a digestive enzyme with the bone helped that.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I found that some raw beef bones every week would keep their teeth clean so that they didn't need dentals. One of mine had pancreas issues and the raw did bother her slightly, but giving a digestive enzyme with the bone helped that.

What kind of digestive enzyme. He has been using a pro-biotic for his digestive issues and that seems to do very well. Can you recommend a good enzyme? Would that show up on a blood test? Thanks for your input.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 11:20 AM

For a GSD, the pancreatic insufficiency, EPI, can be tested for. Well, any dog, just very common in GSD!

My girl Indy used to get flairs of pancreatitis. It only showed in her bloodwork during a flair. I just noticed, when she was young, the enzymes made her better, so she got them most of her life. Later in her life I even had to add a second type.

This is the one that worked for her:
http://m.vitacost.com/mt/www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Jarro-Zymes-Plus/?pid=23392&xVE=%2fJarrow-Formulas-Jarro-Zymes-Plus
Posted by: BasiaBear

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 12:24 PM

Basia has been completely sedated under my care once, when she needed stitches from getting bit by another dog. Anesthesia was a concern of mine as well, but she was quite alright with it. And then when in the rescue, she was completely sedated at least twice (she was spayed twice because they didn't get everything the first time and she ended up going into heat) and I presume there were no reactions then either.

Also, the other day I shadowed at a vet clinic and I saw them sedate many dogs and cats for various procedures (the cat had the dental work), and all of the animals came out of it just fine. It was actually quite nice and reassuring for me to see how things work back there behind the scenes.

I didn't read all of the posts but I saw some talk about raw feeding, which I was going to recommend as well. It is miraculous how much Basia's teeth improved after I switched her to raw (along with her coat and much more). She had sooo much tartar build up from kibble and after just a couple months it had completely disappeared. She probably will never need dental work done now. Starting the raw was daunting for me as well, but it wasn't that bad and I did get the hang of it pretty quickly. The trainer that I see was giving a seminar about raw feeding, which is what really helped me get jump-started. I would start with some chicken drumsticks, skin, bone, and all, like you were saying. The one thing I'd have to warn about is if Max doesn't chew the bone as much as he should, he might throw it back up. Basia does that once in a while, she's such a fast eater. She has pancreas issues as well but she did fine with the change. Once I switched to raw I would never think about going back to kibble, it's amazing. Hope it helps!

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 01:45 PM

Gosh, you guys are an inspiration. Thank you so much. Checked the chicken wings and drumstick prices at Whole Foods and a family pack is very reasonable and will last me a week.

I noticed the bones have the marrow in it. Can the dogs eat that, too or is that too rich for them? What do you think?

I am going to start after Max's procedure because I don't want to risk him going into the procedure with his tummy upset. Yes, he definitely eats very fast and swallows stuff unchewed. So, I think giving it to him frozen will help to slow him down.

Lisa, thank you for the link to the pancreatic enzymes. I have to order some stuff from Swansons anyway, so I might as well order that with it.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/JR024/ItemDetail?n=0

I am going to keep the VitaCost page bookmarked so I can compare prices between the two as I order supplements in the future. It's always great to have another resource.

I love you guys. Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.
Posted by: GrandJan

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/24/12 04:01 PM

Elvi, I'm going to answer some of your questions on the RAW topic I started - Good Prices. Don't want to hijack the dental thread!

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/27/12 02:08 PM

I am dropping Max off at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow morning for his dental procedure. Would appreciate any good wishes, thoughts and prayers. Thanks.

Max thanks you, too

Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/27/12 04:07 PM

crossedfingers for all good things.

ETA - look at those eyes... wub

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/27/12 04:53 PM

All the best thoughts go with you and sweetie Max tomorrow. crossedfingers
Posted by: arycrest

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/27/12 06:01 PM

What a sweet face!!! wub

Sending Max my best wishes for his toofies tomorrow!!!

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/27/12 07:47 PM

Thanks everyone. We appreciate it. Will post how it goes tomorrow.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 01:42 PM

So I dropped Max off this morning for his appointment and talked with the Vet about the vWd test. He told me that while they are able to do the test locally, they will have to send it out to an outside lab which means that the results would be back in a few days. When I first talked to the receptionist several days ago, I specifically mentioned that I wanted that test included to which she assured me that I could talk with the nurse when I drop him off and it would be taken care of then. mad I *obviously* don't have time NOW to have the test done because the procedure is being done TODAY. Seriously? You couldn't tell me that when I spoke with you a few days ago so I could have brought him in to have it done prior to today?

I was like...I need to know whether he is susceptible to this blood disorder and he suggested they do a more sophisticated blood test which should give them an indicator of that condition if he has it. So, I agreed to that and shared with him that I wanted him to have a blood test done anyway to get baseline data because I am going to switch to Raw feeding and will re-test in a few months to see how his values have changed negatively or positively after the change of diet. His response:"You know us Vets do not like that whole Raw feeding thing". I responded:"Yeah, I figured but I am going to give this an honest try and have his blood re-checked and if he is doing good with it, that's what I will be doing. If not, I can always get him back on kibble".

Max should be ready to be picked up after 3 p.m. Lexie and Sophie are confused not having our Teddy Bear here. They probably think I ditched him. I guess I can look like a hero coming back with him again this afternoon, huh? LOL.

Ooops, sorry, this is way longer than I wanted it to be. Pardonez moi!!

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 04:14 PM

... So, I agreed to that and shared with him that I wanted him to have a blood test done anyway to get baseline data because I am going to switch to Raw feeding and will re-test in a few months to see how his values have changed negatively or positively after the change of diet. His response:"You know us Vets do not like that whole Raw feeding thing". I responded:"Yeah, I figured but I am going to give this an honest try and have his blood re-checked and if he is doing good with it, that's what I will be doing. If not, I can always get him back on kibble".

I's also say - what did they eat 100 years ago, when kibble didn't exist. laugh

My regular vet is on the fence, would rather we fed a kibble, but doesn't give me a hard time about what we feed.
Aodhán's chiropractic vet was all for feeding a raw diet - being a holistic vet she was much more open to raw feeding.

I'm sure Max will be happy to see you when you go to pick him up and everyone will be glad when he's home.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 06:08 PM

Max is back home and doing well. The results:

Stage III Periodontitis. They did not have to pull any teeth though.

Blood Panel (CBC Level IV) came out good. Everything is within the normal range.

X-Ray. HD, primarily in his left hip.

Vet made it sound like no big deal but I don't know. The left hip looks pretty bad to me. He suggested Max lose 7 pounds and stressed not to give him too much protein because that would cause him to gain weight. He mentioned that feeding Raw may give him too much protein. I don't agree with him but I thought it was interesting that he said that. So, that's the scoop.

Thanks for looking and being interested in our Maxi Poo. Vet put him on Clindamycin (300 mg) for the next few days (Antibiotic).

He wants Max to get a yearly dental cleaning and if need be also Intermittent Antibiotic Therapy. I told him I wanted to see what the Raw feeding, gnawing on bones will do and take it from there.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 06:24 PM

A yearly dental cleaning? Yikes!

Wonder what he will say when Max's teeth are all bright and shiny next year?

Good information on these posts.

I am so sorry to see the HD - hopefully when Max drops a few pounds that will help keep it from becoming more severe.

Thanks all.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 06:42 PM

If you are not I would put Max on a joint supplement. There are usually some good suggestions from members as to a good one (I use a human supplement and it works well for my dogs).

The hip joints are pretty shallow, not the worst I have seen. Weight loss would be a good thing and then low impact exercise, walking is good but on grass not concrete.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 07:11 PM

Glad the dental went well! This is what I do for HD:

Springtime Inc. Joint Health and/or Longevity (Rafi gets a triple dose)
2220mg Ester C/day (work up to it gradually)
Omega 3-6-9 capsules

Swimming and long walks are great for joints.

It is very important to get the weight off. The best way to do that is to increase (moderate) exercise and feed a good quality food that doesn't have a lot of extra carbs.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
A yearly dental cleaning? Yikes!

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. LOL

Quote:
Wonder what he will say when Max's teeth are all bright and shiny next year?

I hope so. That would be great and a huge relief.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 09:46 PM

I was thinking good thoughts earlier, just didn't have a chance to post.

I definitely agree on a joint supplement. The good thing is that you don't see all sorts of gnarly bone growth in there.

I don't agree that high protein will cause weight gain. Think Atkins diet. Higher protein creates lean muscle, high grain usually is what puts weight on.

Clindamycin - very potent, definitely do probiotics!

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
If you are not I would put Max on a joint supplement.

Good idea. Thanks Val

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Glad the dental went well! This is what I do for HD:

Springtime Inc. Joint Health and/or Longevity (Rafi gets a triple dose)
2220mg Ester C/day (work up to it gradually)
Omega 3-6-9 capsules

Swimming and long walks are great for joints.

Where do you get the Springtime Joint Health Supplement. I checked Swansons and the Discount Vitamin online stores and was not able to find it there. Is the Ester C to bring inflammation down? Thank you so much for these suggestions.
Posted by: Furonthefloor

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 10:20 PM

I'll throw something to think about out to you. I call bs on what your vet is telling you. I know opinions opinions, but he wants you to bring your dog in yearly for a dental!! Makes sense he wouldn't like raw diet.

I've had mine on raw for 3yrs (approx). Read so much I almost psyched myself out thinking I could never get the right ratios etc. Get a current wt on Max, get the correct amounts figured to feed & then weigh your meat. Try it! You can do it use www.Rawdogranch.com for help.
*I've got mine in their correct weight now. That includes losing weight in my overweight female & gaining weight in my scrawny males. So I disagree with the vet there. Also, none of mine have had dentals & their vet is happy with their teeth!

That said if you really do not want to feed a raw diet, I do agree that a nice bone to gnaw on will help those teeth!

One more thing, my Mikko has HD--he's 8 & was/is on glucosamine. He was pretty bad & hobbling at times & they put him on Rimadyl (he would have flare ups where it really bothered him.
Since he's been on raw, I swear, he's not had any problems. I still give liquid glucosamine on his raw food (vit E & salmon oil). I do keep him on the thin side also since I read that was a good idea for HD.
I know each dog is probably different, but just really felt like telling you I've had really good(great) results with the opposite of what your vet is suggesting to you.
Good luck to you & Max! laugh

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I was thinking good thoughts earlier, just didn't have a chance to post.

I definitely agree on a joint supplement. The good thing is that you don't see all sorts of gnarly bone growth in there.

I don't agree that high protein will cause weight gain. Think Atkins diet. Higher protein creates lean muscle, high grain usually is what puts weight on.

Clindamycin - very potent, definitely do probiotics!

Thanks for the good thoughts. Mucho appreciation for it. I am going to get a joint supplement as it was recommended here. Already have the Omega 3-6-9 from Garden of Life. It is human strength though but should be ok (I hope).

I am relieved that there is hardly any arthritis in the affected area..so whew. Will continue with the probiotic. Poor Max, after all this he will have to swallow a medicine cabinet worth of pills but if that is what it takes..then so be it.

Yeah, the protein comment by the Vet didn't make sense to me either. I think it is just that he is totally against my switching Max to raw so he thought he had a convincing way for me to change my mind.

So, how DO I give him all these supplements? Spread out throughout the day or all at once? I take my supplements spread out and that works fine for me but I know dogs are different. I figure maybe I could split them 50/50...ah...I'll figure it out.

Tomorrow, I am getting some chicken drumbs and start on the transition. Will see how he can tolerate it. Will remove the skin though.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Furonthefloor
I'll throw something to think about out to you. I call bs on what your vet is telling you. I know opinions opinions, but he wants you to bring your dog in yearly for a dental!! Makes sense he wouldn't like raw diet.

One more thing, my Mikko has HD--he's 8 & was/is on glucosamine. He was pretty bad & hobbling at times & they put him on Rimadyl (he would have flare ups where it really bothered him.
Since he's been on raw, I swear, he's not had any problems. I still give liquid glucosamine on his raw food (vit E & salmon oil). I do keep him on the thin side also since I read that was a good idea for HD.
I know each dog is probably different, but just really felt like telling you I've had really good(great) results with the opposite of what your vet is suggesting to you.
Good luck to you & Max! laugh

Max weighs 77 pounds right now. The Vet wants him to go down to 70. Thank you so much for your encouragement. Even the Vet tech kept on saying:" I wouldn't do that". I don't understand why they are so against Raw feeding. I have heard so many good reports and yours is one more. To me, it is worth the try. Max is 8, too. That is amazing to hear Mikko has not had any flare-up. So encouraging. Thanks.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/28/12 11:28 PM

Springtime is an online vendor.

Springtime Longevity

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:59 AM

Thank you Johanna. I bookmarked the page and will check it out later.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 08:50 AM

Johanna, how long does the container of Longevity last for you at $45 for 1.4lb?

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 09:34 AM

I'm not sure because I usually take advantage of the specials - like the buy 2 - 6 lb buckets and get one free. It seems that 3 - 6 lb buckets lasts me well over a year for 2 dogs. I give a dose to Caleb even though he has no evidence of hip problems at the recommendation of his breeder.

I would assume that Max would need 2 scoops per day at a minimum (assuming he's more than 40 pounds) and that works out to about 40 days for the 1.4 lb container. If you could swing the price for buying 2 of the 1.4 pound containers with the third one free you'd have enough for about 4 months.

Another one that I've used and Aodhán did well on when she was alive is Joint Max . If you order this through the affiliate links that Val has here - affiliate links then you can also help support the forum.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 03:17 PM

The 1.4 pound container doesn't last very long if you're doubling or tripling the dose. I always buy the big containers.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 03:51 PM

The 1.4 pound container doesn't last very long if you're doubling or tripling the dose. I always buy the big containers.

Looks like I will have to look for another alternative. This is a bit too expensive for us especially if the 1.4 pounds don't last long enough. Max is 77 pounds right now but his optimal weight apparently is 70. More than likely I would have to give more than just one scoop. Why do these people make this stuff so expensive? That's crazy.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 04:18 PM

It's not that expensive if you do the buy 2, get 1 free deal.

One of the 6 pound containers lasts Rafi about 6 months. He gets a double dose each day. You could start with the Advanced Hip & Joint Formula. I'm giving that to Rafi in addition to the Longevity. They have a buy 2, get 2 free deal on those. Rafi gets 4 a day but even if you gave 6 a day it would only be 90 cents a day (if you bought 2 of the 180 counts). http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/advanced-hip-and-joint-chewables/dogs

Supplements are definitely expensive but they make a big difference.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 05:07 PM

It's not that expensive if you do the buy 2, get 1 free deal.

One of the 6 pound containers lasts Rafi about 6 months. He gets a double dose each day. You could start with the Advanced Hip & Joint Formula. I'm giving that to Rafi in addition to the Longevity. They have a buy 2, get 2 free deal on those. Rafi gets 4 a day but even if you gave 6 a day it would only be 90 cents a day (if you bought 2 of the 180 counts). http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/advanced-hip-and-joint-chewables/dogs

Supplements are definitely expensive but they make a big difference.

Wait! That's weird!! The prices I looked at were $270.00 THAT's expensive. The prices I see using your link buying 2 jars of 60 getting 2 free for $48 is totally affordable. Thank you. I am sure Longevity is more potent but for now I think the Advanced Hip and Joint will be ok. If not, I can re-group. Thanks.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 05:38 PM

If you can afford it I would the two jars of 180 and then you get 2 free. That's $108 and will last you 4 months if you give 6 per day. You might even be able to give 5 per day.

Longevity has a ton of stuff in it so it's more expensive. Rafi actually gets both Longevity and the other one.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 06:51 PM

If you can afford it I would the two jars of 180 and then you get 2 free. That's $108 and will last you 4 months if you give 6 per day. You might even be able to give 5 per day.

Yes, I can do that. THANK YOU so much. So I ordered Jarro-Zymes Plus and Ester-C on Swanson today. I already have the Omega from Garden of Life and will order the Advanced Hip and Joint (2 jars of 180)tomorrow. I think I am set then unless you guys think of anything else I have forgotten. The Ester-C is 500 mg. So, I will be starting with that and work up to a higher dosage. Oh, need to get new toothbrushes and paste for each of the doggies, too. LOL. With the paste...my concern is ingredients from China. Do you know any dog toothpaste that is without that junk by any chance?

Sorry, I know....thousand questions LOL. I hope you guys don't mind.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:04 PM

I would hold off on the toothbrushes and toothpaste for now. You are starting raw and I think you will see a big difference just from the RMBs they chew.

What is the omega you are getting and the amount? Do you have vitamin E to go with it? 400iu for each of them if they are over 40 lbs.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GrandJan
I would hold off on the toothbrushes and toothpaste for now. You are starting raw and I think you will see a big difference just from the RMBs they chew.

What is the omega you are getting and the amount? Do you have vitamin E to go with it? 400iu for each of them if they are over 40 lbs.

I thought of using THIS I haven't given him that yet but I have it here for my own use. So, I thought we could share. I probably will give him 50% of what I am taking. It includes natural astaxanthin which works like Vitamin E but is more potent.

Ok, I will wait with the tooth brushes then. Thanks.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:18 PM

I use the Omega 3-6-9 from Springtime. It has E in it. And if you order $150 worth from Springtime you get a free product.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:23 PM

I use the Omega 3-6-9 from Springtime. It has E in it. And if you order $150 worth from Springtime you get a free product.

Ruth, how much of that (mg) do you give per day?

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 07:53 PM

Ruth - a question about 3-6-9. Don't we want to concentrate on 3's, as in marine sources? We want to lower the ratio of 6 to 3, I think?
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 08:08 PM

I use the Springtime, Inc Omega 3-6-9 as well. I give each dog 3 capsules a day.

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/omega-3-6-9/dogs

I also give Longevity to both dogs, but just one scoop a day at this time.

I'm watching for the next free delivery offer - I am on my last container of each. I am sold on these products.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 08:10 PM

I give 2 capsules/day. Rafi weighs 60 pounds.

It doesn't hurt that the owners of Springtime have gsds. wink

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 08:17 PM

Ruth - a question about 3-6-9. Don't we want to concentrate on 3's, as in marine sources? We want to lower the ratio of 6 to 3, I think?

Hi Jan,

Here is Springtime's explanation: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/omega-3-6-9/dogs

Not my area of expertise...but I did used to have Rafi on just an Omega 3 (wild fish) supplement and noticed no negatives when I switched him to this one (2 years ago).

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 09:39 PM

I promise not to harp on this, but I feel very strongly about the importance of fish oil and vitamin E. In all good faith, I urge you all to up your puppers’ daily dose of fish/salmon oil to at least 1,000 mg. per 30 lbs. of body weight (I give 1,000 mg per 10 lbs. of weight), plus 200 iu of E for dogs under 40 lbs. and 400 iu for dogs over 40 lbs.

Dogs basically get 3-6-9 in their diet – either in kibble or raw. It is the long-chain 3s that are lacking, and they are derived from marine sources.

The goal is to help balance the overly-Omega-6 modern poultry and slaughter meat (raw or commercial dog food), which can only be done with long-chain 3s.

Flaxseed oil, which supplies ALA, cannot be converted to long-chain 3s (EPA/DHA) by dogs.

Ok, end of speech – won’t dwell on it or harangue anyone.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 02/29/12 10:05 PM

The goal is to help balance the overly-Omega-6 modern poultry and slaughter meat (raw or commercial dog food), which can only be done with long-chain 3s.
Ok, end of speech – won’t dwell on it or harangue anyone.

No, this is good. We are all learning here and the more info we have the better. So, please share freely.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 03/01/12 08:31 PM

I give 2 capsules/day. Rafi weighs 60 pounds.

It doesn't hurt that the owners of Springtime have gsds. wink

Missed most of this and am glad Max's dental went okay. So sorry about the hip tho. I did not see evidence of arthritis yet so you caught it early. I have used the Springtime stuff for years too and am sold on it, When you buy the specials it is actually cheaper than many other things. I don't use the longevity but I do use the Joint Health with Boswellia. My Kayos has HORRID hips and has had one replaced. The Springtime stuff and adding Ester C, Fish Oil and Vit E keeps her walking.

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 03/01/12 09:02 PM

It's definitely a relief that there is no arthritis, so I want to keep it that way. I am going to get this http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/advanced-hip-and-joint-chewables/dogs for his hips and joints. Hopefully this will help keep him in shape. Also started to transition him to Raw. This is a big step for me but whatever I have to do to help him that is in my ability, I will do. I want him around pain free for many more years. Thanks for your note and suggestion. Poor Kayos. How is he doing with his replaced hip? Hopefully better. The Vet showed me an x-ray of a dog who also had a replaced hip. I continue to be amazed at all the technology that is available nowadays for our pets.
Posted by: mspiker03

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 03/01/12 10:02 PM

Just as a note on the hip/joint issue and raw feeding.

My friend switched her old, overweight lab to raw (this was awhile ago, he has since passed) who could barely walk. After switching to raw, we saw a drastic change in his ability to get around. Another friend said he saw a huge difference as well when he switched one of his dogs to raw.

Just wanted to throw that out there...

Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment - 03/01/12 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: mspiker03
Just as a note on the hip/joint issue and raw feeding.
My friend switched her old, overweight lab to raw (this was awhile ago, he has since passed) who could barely walk. After switching to raw, we saw a drastic change in his ability to get around. Another friend said he saw a huge difference as well when he switched one of his dogs to raw.
Just wanted to throw that out there...

That's what I am hoping for. Thank you for your encouragement. Just shows that I am doing the right thing. Just hope my doggies can handle the new diet. So far so good but I just started.