Bee/Wasp sting experiences?

Posted by: MaxaLisa

Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 02:33 PM

Jazz.

She was in the yard, rarely alone. Heard her bark, she came in to the house, barked some more. Then she 3-footed over, shaking and shivering.

I was afraid it was a snake bite, but I see only one puncture wound.

Used benadryl and arnica and ledum. Packed the little puncture area with baking soda.

It's 3 hours later and she's stilll shaking and shivering that paw. Is that normal? Any ideas?
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 03:09 PM

No ideas, but with her weight it's a big dose of toxin.

take care, you two, take care,

MJ
Posted by: anniej

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 03:44 PM

poor thing - do you have any apis (rx made from bee sting) - 200c twice daily.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 03:50 PM

MJ, didn't think about how much more toxin, relative to her size. Makes me feel a bit better, because her reaction seems to be ongoing, finally settling a bit, 3 1/2 hrs after the sting. Seems like a long time for a reaction, but at 15 lbs, maybe understandable.

Annie, I was afraid to give apis, afraid of an aggravation, but I'll go find it - I only have some 30c.
Posted by: cassadee7

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 04:15 PM

One puncture can be a snake bite, still, when the snake hits an an angle. Keep an eye on her! Hope she feels better soon.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 04:30 PM

Shawn, thank you!

It seems some of the swelling is going down. Perhaps coincidental, but right after administering the Apis, she went into a good sleep. Perhaps not coincidental laugh

After Indy was stung by a wasp, she developed a cluster of 5 mast cell tumors at the site. So, not that I'm worried or anything ... crazy ... paranoid
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 08:26 PM

I hope Jazz feels better soon. So many things to worry about. frown

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/15/12 08:47 PM

Thanks Bonnie. It took about 6 hours, but she is walking on the paw again. A bit wobbly, and I have to watch so she doesn't bite at it, but I hope that she'll be okay from here on out. I think after she woke up, she was a bit hyped by the OD on the Benadryl.

Will keep an eye on it....

Annie, for how long do you think I should administer the Apis?
Posted by: Alter-Ego

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/17/12 06:32 AM

This pic. Doesn't do it nearly any justice but Sasha got stung right in the tip of her nose. I noticed something wrong when I opened the door to let her in and she just stood there. Even from about 20 feet away I could see her whole entire face was swollen. It was swollen so much I could see the cappilaries on the sides of her face. I got the stinger out, gave her a Benadryl and held a cold rag on her face for about an hour. I was so afraid of the extensive swelling I called a vet to be sure. He told me to wait another hour and if nothing improved to bring her in. After a while the swelling went down, then she fell asleep for a while, then back to her old self. Definitely scared me. Although I noticed you said you could see the puncture. Once I got the stinger out, I could no longer see a hole or anything. Hope all is good. !!
Posted by: Good_Karma

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/17/12 07:08 AM

I have a pic of Rosa from a couple weeks ago from her last bee sting. This pic was taken after she'd gotten Benedryl and the swelling had already gone down by about 50%. I was within about two minutes of taking her to the vet. frown I used liquid Benedryl instead of the pill form since it is supposed to work faster. She got the maximum dose for her weight. It was about 30 hours before the swelling went completely away.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/17/12 09:03 PM

Oh man, so lucky she didn't get stung on her face, your poor girls!

I had the benadryl capsules, the liquid sounds like a good idea to have on hand.

She seemed to have recovered 100%, which is a break. I'm giving some quercitin for several days, just to try to dampen any ongoing response, paranoid about indy's experience with a sting!
Posted by: Alter-Ego

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/18/12 05:47 AM

Yep thats about what Sasha's looked like after about half the swelling was gone.

I was concerned about how much swelling there was, thinking she had an abnormal reaction or possibly a little allergic. The vet said we did the right thing and theres nothing more he would have done. He did say that if she starts trembling, gums turn white, or starts vomiting, then theres need for worry. So apparently some must react worse than others I guess.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 07/18/12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Alter-Ego

I was concerned about how much swelling there was, thinking she had an abnormal reaction or possibly a little allergic. The vet said we did the right thing and theres nothing more he would have done. He did say that if she starts trembling, gums turn white, or starts vomiting, then theres need for worry. So apparently some must react worse than others I guess.

This is good to know!

Jazz was trembling, but her foot hurt a lot, which I could tell was causing her to tremble. I was looking for a more systemic reaction, but it's so hard to tell. The white gums - also good to know! The vomiting would definitely scare me.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/28/12 07:48 PM

So, jazz was kinda trapped in the back seat of the car with a wasp the other, and I didn't realize it.

I don't know if it stung her, I've been worried that she now has an allergy, but I saw no indication of any reaction on her body. I have liquid benadrl capsules stashed in a variety of places, just in case.

However, she is now afraid of flies when they buzz around frown didn't realize how annoying that might be. She is now hiding in the other room since there is a fly in here crazy
Posted by: TimberWolf

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/28/12 11:14 PM

Oh no Lisa, not another thing she is afraid of. What if you ignore it (her reaction to flies) and pretend like everything is normal? Sometimes giving attention to fears will aggravate fear. Is she licking specific areas on her body? If you don't see her reacting she probably wasn't stung. What did you do when you saw the Wasp? Did you remain calm or were you anxious? If you were anxious, maybe that is what she picked up from you. ....Just thinking out loud.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/29/12 01:32 AM

LOL, I know, yet another fear! But at least this one is a very reasonable fear.

No, it wasn't me, at least this time. After the wasp in the car, she didn't want to go in the back seat for awhile, I did ignore that one. I do teach her in the yard, that those buzzing bees she tries to eat are dangerous, so she must have been freaking a bit when it was in the back with her.

With the fly, I just told her it was a fly, it's okay, and, you're right, part of the key is to not react, and just let it go.

She's also a bit afraid of the dark.....
Posted by: GSDElsa

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/29/12 06:38 AM

Not much happened when Elsa got stung...you could tell she was like "ah, what the bleep is going on" and was shaking...but not too much swelling and was over it. I Since it was stinging on her neck area I don't think it got a full sting in really since she has so much hair in that area.
Posted by: Barb E

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/29/12 06:37 PM

Shhh Jazz, don't tell anyone but I was really afraid of flies when I was a little girl!!!!

I bet you'll outgrow it just like I did

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 10/31/12 11:29 AM

Lol, I hope that she outgrows it too!
Posted by: aubie

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 11/02/12 09:53 AM

Maggie, our Dal, was extremely allergic to bug bites/stings. A spider bite/bee/wasp sting would actually give her a seizure, lasting about 10 min, then she'd be wobbly/out of it for an hour or so. I think they have different reactions just like people.

Hope she overcomes her flying bug fear!
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 11/02/12 11:47 AM

Tanja (45 lbs) stepped into a wasp once, and was crying, shaking, and completely upset. It must be very painful b/c a paw is such a small area and the swelling cannot spread out. Dogs differ in sensitivity to pain, too. And Tanja in general was a very sensitive dog. She needed to be in a dark room afterwards, couldn't bear light, and I held her and comforted her for I don't remember how long. And put the paw in and out of a cup of ice water.

I kinda like it when they are afraid enough of buzzing thingies in the air to leave them alone. I don't know how good their taxonomic skills can become, and how much painful experience it takes, for them to learn to distinguish between a fly and a stinging insect.

Are there EPI pens for allergic dogs? I doubt it.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 05/14/13 03:11 PM

Bee sting part two, I think the same paw, not sure, had to come check on what happened last time. Luckily I had some benedryl in my purse (for just this reason), need to get home and ice and Apis.

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 05/14/13 04:30 PM

I have her little paw packed with baking soda, and it seems to be finally ettling some. Poor thing.

http://www.husbandhood.net/how-to-relieve-the-pain-of-a-bee-sting-in-under-30-seconds/
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 05/14/13 07:29 PM

when Masi and I got into a yellow jacket nest under my grill no less:( I grabbed a can of sunburn spray ,,used to use under arm deodorant spray but didn't have any, so grabbed the sunburn spray,,instant pain relief..sprayed it on Masi's foot sting as well as the benadryl,,

Re: Bee/Wasp sting experiences? - 05/14/13 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OA
.... I grabbed a can of sunburn spray ,,used to use under arm deodorant spray but didn't have any, so grabbed the sunburn spray,,instant pain relief..

REALLY?????? I will have to remember this!