Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis

Posted by: Mary Jane

Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:04 PM

We were getting a maxi-blood test done for a prescription for Interceptor and got the ugly surprise the Mars has both Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. He's on Frontline but we took at least one dead tick off of him in the spring. I don't think he has symptoms, but I really don't know what to look for. The vet prescribed 200 mg doxycycline twice a day for a month, which I see is less than some people recommend.

What can I expect in the future?

I guess I'll bug Lisa even more than I already do.

Mary Jane
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:08 PM

the cuvee thread has info... let me find it.
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:09 PM

http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/242976/1
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:15 PM

I am not going to repeat the first explicative that came to mind.

At minimum, I would get a cbc so that blood counts can be monitored now and forever. I like having the full panel to check on liver enzymes (anaplasmosis) and kidneys (lyme). I also like adding liver support to any tick treatment.

The tick list would recommend sending blood off to protatek labs to get IFA titers for the Anaplasmosis. Recommended for monitoring lyme is either the C6 or the Cornell multiplex. I'm a bit partial to the multiplex, but they haven't all the kinks worked out. I think you can send everything to protatek and they will send out. There is protatek info in the tick sticky, you can call and talk to the lab director Dr. Holland if you like.

Many vets use no additional testing, but once you get a positive on the snap, it will remain positive for awhile (typically at least a year), sometimes a long while, so becomes useess for monitoring those diseases. So you will have to decide what you are comfortable with.

Coinfections may maykeeradication more difficult at the lower dose of doxy.

I'm going to assume he was teted previously, last year, so good thing is that it was caught early.

I'm sorry MJ hugging

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:24 PM

We'll get blood work done, I checked and we have no baselines for him.
Yes, he was OK a year ago, so I guess it's a nice fresh infection.

I'll read Cuvee's thread, but it will take time to digest.

thank you both,

Mary Jane
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:50 PM

Oh no! No advice but glad you caught it sooner rather than later. hugging

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 01:54 PM

MJ, be sure to ask whatever questions you have.

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane

What can I expect in the future?

Reread this just before I was going to close this window.

With luck, with aggresive treatment, you won't have future problems. This is one of my biggest issues. Hit it hard and fast when you first see and don't give it a chance to entrench. So many underdose (less than conservative treatment even!), or don't treat at all, and that's a Huge problem.

Okay, sorry for the multiple pots!
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 03:29 PM

Mary Jane, I am so sorry for you and Mars. It sounds like you caught it early that is good. Hugs to Mars and you and your DH.
Posted by: Good_Karma

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 05:13 PM

Aw, this stinks! I'm so sorry frown
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/01/12 07:55 PM

I feel your pain, Havoc just tested positive for Erlichia a few weeks ago. We too are on Doxy for a month.

Glad Mars is asympotmatic tho.
Posted by: bianca

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 06:02 AM

Crap, I am sorry Mary Jane hugging
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 08:51 AM

Not sweetie-boy Mars! I'm sorry. hugging Grimmi has had Lyme, anaplasma, and ehrlichia-- a few times. Lisa probably has stickies in the health area? Grimm felt much better by the second week on the Doxy. Even when given with food, capsules were much, much better tolerated than tablets, as capsules don't dissolve until the small intestine. Probiotics given at least 2 hours apart from the abx really helped, too. Sending tons of good thoughts out for Mars!

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 09:49 AM

Thanks everybody. Except that he's slightly more clingy than usual, I can't see anything unusual in Mars, absolutely no limp.

I will start some probiotics for him. I don't like the idea of a month of antibiotic, but I like the idea of arthritis less.

MJ
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 10:40 AM

MJ, with the Probiotics you need to have a schedule. So if you are giving the ABX at 7 am and 7 pm then 1 pm would be a good time for the Probiotics. You want a minimum of 4 hours, other wise the Probiotics are just eaten up by the ABX thus lessening e effect of the ABX.

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 12:18 PM

Val,

Thanks, I knew there should be an interval, but I was hoping 2-3h would be enough. It would be really hard to wait 4h after breakfast to leave for the day.

What about probiotics once a day, before bed?

MJ

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 12:48 PM

Thanks, I knew there should be an interval, but I was hoping 2-3h would be enough.

That's when I give them. I like to give them far enough away from the abx, but also so that there is a maximim amount of time afterwards for them to start to repopulate, if that makes sense.

With a GSD in particular, I would try for twice a day, and not stres if I forget a doe once in awhile.

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/02/12 12:57 PM

Thanks everybody. Except that he's slightly more clingy than usual, I can't see anything unusual in Mars, absolutely no limp.

I will start some probiotics for him. I don't like the idea of a month of antibiotic, but I like the idea of arthritis less.

MJ

Carefully notice the way he moves, the clingy-ness, responsivenes to training, etc, and see if any of that changes. It's weird sometimes what I affected. The clingines may definitely get better. Some dog will go hypothyroid, sometimes temporary, sometimes not.

I hate to say this, but with those two coinfections, arthritis would be a best case scenario frown BUT, he is getting treated, so hopefully he'll avoid all thoe issues.

Pleae be sure to get a copy of any labwork done!
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/03/12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I hate to say this, but with those two coinfections, arthritis would be a best case scenario frown BUT, he is getting treated, so hopefully he'll avoid all thoe issues.

I had the same thought. Arthritis is the least of the worries. I'm so sorry. This really sucks.
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/03/12 08:23 PM

Mary Jane, just read your thread. No words of advice but lots of good thoughts & hugs for Mars and you from Sean and me. hug paw
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/03/12 09:47 PM

Oh my goodness. I hope that the doxy does a great job of knocking these things down.
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 07:16 AM

How is Mars doing?

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 08:26 AM

Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate it.

Honestly, he's acting perfectly normal. He is alert, very active, good appetite, good stool. I am really not sure what to look for, but I am definitely looking.

I'll be in touch, you can be sure.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 12:09 PM

This is good news that he is fine. Hopefully you will get that baseline bloodtest to check innards, and with luck, this is an early early infection crossedfingers

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 12:52 PM

Hopefully you will get that baseline bloodtest to check innards:

When should we get the baseline bloodtest done? I was going to wait until we finished the Doxi.

with luck, this is an early early infection crossedfingers

Thanks Lisa I am really hoping hard this is the case.

MJ
Posted by: Kris

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 01:12 PM

Mary Jane - so glad that you caught this early. I'm sorry - it just stinks to have to deal with something like this... hugging

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 01:18 PM

Hopefully you will get that baseline bloodtest to check innards:

When should we get the baseline bloodtest done? I was going to wait until we finished the Doxi.

I would do them now, otherwise you have no idea if those platelets are low and clumping, or the condition of the rbcs, kidneys, or liver. I would run at least a cbc at completion of treatment, depends on what shows up with blood results now. Jakoda's masi is a good example - those elevated liver results from the AP, and had no other clue. You need some way to monitor this disease process over time, and the baseline blood panel is an important piece, particularly if you aren't running further diagnostics.

Quote:
with luck, this is an early early infection crossedfingers

Thanks Lisa I am really hoping hard this is the case.

crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/04/12 01:23 PM

It is worth stressing, that these are chronic diseases, not a regular bacterial infection that is done with once the abx are stopped. With luck, there aren't issues past treatment, but you want to get necessary info now, since some info will be unretrieveable once treatment is too far in.
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/07/12 09:11 AM

MJ, so glad you caught it early.

Elly had it, too. Tested () on snap test in December. In April, she suddenly vomited in the middle of the night (as Schnickle's Cuvee did), was lethargic and miserable with barely an appetite for the next two days and vomited again on second day. Took her in immediately and on snap test she tested (+) for Lyme. Vet gave me Doxy for three weeks. I had learned from Lisa and others here that that isn't enough and put her on it for six weeks. The Doxy kicked in fast, and no more symptoms since. I didn't get a baseline CBC, she was still my foster dog and the rescue organization has to be budget conscious, and the vet said it was unnecessary. Wish now I had gotten a baseline. She is very happy and healthy as of now, hope we clobbered it good enough. Hope the same for your beautiful Mars.

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/16/12 06:40 PM

How is Mars doing? Was bloodwork ever run?

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/16/12 09:32 PM

Mars is great, he really never showed much of anything, no limping at all. However, I am unhappy about this. We were supposed to get blood drawn Tues after the Fri diagnosis, but it caused an internal debate and the visit was moved to Sat. Sat's visit was moved as well, to the past week, without result. The past Sat, two weeks after Doxy, I felt was too late.

I can be clearer. It's hard for me to take Mars to the vet alone. David and I are both behind with some work-related stuff and the time went away.

So, I am just holding out hope that we caught the infection really, really early.

May I thank you for asking.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars has Lyme and anaplasmosis - 09/16/12 10:11 PM

I am glad that he is feeling well!

Without bloodcounts, there is no idea at what stage the disease process is in frown

Probably want to think about how you will monitor this over the next couple of years, and what information you want to have.

Hope you guys can catch up soon. Work rules our lives far too much, or at least it does mine!