Need prayers for Clover

Posted by: georgiapeachGSD

Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 08:47 AM

I cannot get into it all right now as I have hardly slept all night and I will surely give the wrong info on here. But please pray for Clover. He is a very sick boy. I will copy and paste my facebook status update here so you all can get a small idea of what we are going through.

from my friend:
Just talked to Robin ...Clover has been at the vet's all afternoon. He keeps puking. He ingested something...not sure if toxin or matter. She says he may not make it. She asked me to update you all.

this morning:
i am exhausted. slept on the floor all night next to clover (if you want to call what I did sleep) He threw up all night. I was on the phone with Molly (from southerncross) late and she helped me a lot. Clover is still very not well and far from out of the woods. I only have a few minutes to catch up here and then I am back to him again.He ate his first 2 tablespoons of his rice and bolied chicken from the crock pot this morning and a teaspoon of vanilla yogurt and is half done with his 1/2 hour wait to more without puking it back up. We think there is maybe a small blockage (so far he isnt in horrific pain thank God, and possibly a toxin issue that could also be effecting his liver.He started to show signs of improving last night, but then started vomitting again. I am going to call his actual vet this morning since he was out yesterday and do some online research. My head is killing me, and my eyes are dry and sandpaperlike, but none of that matters to me...I just want my baby better.

He had 2 xrays that showed an odd speckled liver and an angry belly lining and lots of dark intestines full of gas.

he was given 250ML of water under his skin to keep him hydrated, and he was given an injection of anzemet and pepcid and I have sucralfate tablets to start this morning.

Right now we dont know what is going on, but if he starts showing pain, or bleeding more than the streaked vomit yesterday in the office I have to take him for exploratory surgery...which sadly I dont know how I will do this...we dont have THAT much in savings. My husband says we can sell his gun collection and the new TV we bought with tax money to pay if we have to. frown It sucks so bad to think of that since the TV is our big yearly induldge gift to the household, and my husband's only hobby in life is his (small) gun collection...but we do what we have to do to save our dogs.

Please pray for Clover. I need all the prayers I can get. I likely wont be able to sign on much today but I will do what I can to keep you all posted.

Thank you all.
Robin
Posted by: ALLIE&ATHENA

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 08:50 AM

Get well soon Clover.
Posted by: Tara

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 08:51 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! Poor baby Clover!

Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way.

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:00 AM

I am going to call and see if we can arrange for BIPS (?) xrays to see if things pass through. (http://www.essendonvet.com.au/why-jacks-vomiting-needed-investigation)

he has made his 1/2 hours with food (tiny amount) now without throwing up and is sleeping hard, I dont know if that means he is going to puke it all back up when he stirs, or if it just felt warm and soothing in there...

omly time will tell. frown

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. frown
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:02 AM

Oh no. I am not sure if this is medically correct, but I would imagine that if they are thinking surgery, doing it earlier/sooner is better? Can they do an ultrasound or no? When Kyah was sick like that in NY (after being sick and having surgery in KY) we didn't have an ultrasound, so they just did surgery (thank goodness).

www.carecredit.com Maybe your vet takes that?

And if they know you well enough maybe they would let you do a payment plan with pre-signed, dated checks?

Will be checking back...
Posted by: Jason L

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:06 AM

Oh no, Robin!! That's terrible. Get well soon, Clover!

Robin, if Clover is vomiting, then perhaps don't feed him anymore for the time being?

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:07 AM

we do not qualify for care credit frown

the doc actually wants to hold off on surgery to see if he has a smaller object or toxin working through his system. Basically if the vomitting gets worse, or continues for too much longer, or if he shows pain (which he only whines when he gets ready to vomit) then we will just wait.

I am getting a second opinion from his actual vet this morning.

I asked about an U/S and she didnt seem like that was an option for whatever reason. (my guess is we were approaching 7:30 in a clinic that closes at 7pm)

clover is awake, i have to run.,
thank you
Posted by: jarn

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:10 AM

You are all in my thoughts - I hope Clover gets better quickly!

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:12 AM

ok he rolled over without waking all the way up.

the dog and Molly want me to offer small (2 TBSP plus 1 TSP of chicken and rice and yogurt) to help move things along, calm the gas (which we think *could* be from the rich diet he will now be stopping or Orijen) and give him something more to throw up.

The "vomitting" all night has been empty for the most part and just some drool and once a bit of bile....other than that its been dry heaving.

The vet said that was fine yesterday.

He was to eat every 1/2 hour, but I am pleased to say he has now made it a whole hour now witout throwing up. That is always a welcomed sign.

I need more coffee...I cant spell right and this is takoing forever to get out. frown

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:18 AM

here he is right now while I type on my "bed" on the floor

breaks my heart frown

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:34 AM

Poor boy, he looks wiped.
Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:40 AM

Aww, prayers of healing for Clover. Hope it was just a tummy bug.
Posted by: Elf Arrow

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:42 AM

Aww, poor Clover. Get well soon baby. hugging

Sending healing vibes for a speedy recovery.
Posted by: Bradyddr

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:43 AM

Poor Baby
Healing thoughts are being send to you and clover
hoping everything will be ok!!
Hugs to all
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:53 AM

Hope he gets better soon!
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:53 AM

I hope he continues to improve bit by bit for you. He does look wiped out poor baby. And poor you being up all night with him.

Your hubby sounds like a keeper, any guy willing to sell off his hobby for the pup is a good guy. Hope it does not come to that.

hugging
Posted by: danceintheflame

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:56 AM

Oh poor Clover,sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and Clover. Get well soon.
Posted by: LukesMom

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:01 AM

Hugs and kisses to poor sweet Clover that he gets better quick.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:04 AM

Clover, it's spring. We need you outside making the world bright.

Crossed and recrossed fingers that he continues to recover!

MJ
Posted by: bestdogs

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:14 AM

Poor boy! Sending good vibes for Clover!
Posted by: Vinnie

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:22 AM

crossedfingers Hope he is better soon. Poor boy.
Posted by: gsdlove212

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:39 AM

Poor baby! Prayers for Clover and you and your family!

My Duchess was poisoned and she had horrible siezures. Hoping whatever it is passes soon and Clover is able to make a full recovery.
Posted by: aubie

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:56 AM

Oh, Clover! What did you get into?? I hope you feel better soon and make your mommy smile again! Giant hugs!! hugging hugging
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:06 AM

Poor baby frown Sending you and Clover positive, healing thoughts. Hoping that he is feeling better soon!!
We'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed for you guys here.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:09 AM

Sending healing thoughts to Clover. Get better, get better, get better, your momma is so so worried.
Posted by: Samba

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:13 AM

Oh no, how horribly upsetting this must be. I would be so stressed and worried. I so,so hope Clover is getting recovery. Come on little buddy.
Posted by: UConnGSD

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:44 AM

Oh no, the poor little boy frown Sending healing thoughts to Clover. Get well soon!
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:47 AM

Update?

Hang in there Clover and get better...
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:48 AM

Sending out positive thoughts for you and Clover.

I don't think you should be feeding him right now. Are you giving Gas X and Activated Charcoal? Those will help with the gas and any toxins (the charcoal) but won't help if it's an obstruction. The vet can also show you how to do Sub Qs at home.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:49 AM

Oh no, poor Clover... But it sounds like you're making progress if he's able to keep something down. Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers your way. Get well soon, sweet boy! hugging
Posted by: arycrest

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:49 AM

How frightening - poor Clover, I hope he's feeling better soon. And I also hope Robin is doing well, can't imagine how stressful this must be for her. I'm mega paranoid when a Hooligan is vomiting, I especially worry about dehydration and the possibilty of some type of blockage.
Posted by: smerry

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:06 PM

Just saw this ... poor clover, we are praying for you here smile get well soon ...
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:20 PM

Maybe sweet potato/yam instead of rice? I am afraid of rice.

There is always intucusseption. www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=307 which is rough because it can telescope in and out.

www.imom.org/fa I don't know if you would qualify for that, but not qualifying for Care Credit is a part of it.

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:36 PM

I have an amazing update that I had hoped to give Molly first, but she is having a bust morning so....

CLOVER HAS MADE A HUGE TURN AROUND SINCE 6:50AM!!!

He is eating and holding it down, he is drinking small amounts of water, he is chasing the cats, and countersurfing and barking at the crockpot bc he is mad I wont give him more food at a time.

He has made an 80-90% improvement in just 5.5 hours or so!!!!

I believe in the power of prayer and well wishes and he is my proof in that.

So far we havent had a bowel movement, but I believe that if it was an obstruction, he would be getting worse, not better.

The vets say rice and chicken, and thats what I am going to use. I have to stop giving him all these rich things for now.

He will stay on chicken and rice for the next 2 weeks, and then he will go back to a grain enriched diet. The vet thinks Clover is one of those GSDs that just cannot handle rich grain free kibble...at least not now at 4 months today.

I am think the Hollistic Select...but for now its chicken and rice and yogurt...and he thinks he is the king getting fed from a spoon this amazing food with pets and love in between bites! wub

It looks like my baby boy is pulling through!!!

Thank you all again! I love you guys! <3
Posted by: Elf Arrow

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:38 PM

Thank goodness!

Sending more healing vibes for Clover.

hugging
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:43 PM

I'm so glad he's feeling better this morning! Just saw this thread and I was scared for you and Clover.

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:44 PM

I kept checking for an update. This is such encouraging news!!! Keep barking Clover!

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 12:53 PM

jenn if you seen him yesterday you would have thought he was going to die over night. Other than parvo I have never seen a puppy as sick as he was.

even sick though, if I moved he would force himself to get up and move closer to me til I finally gave up and layed on the floor and stayed still all night. My husband plugged my phone in closer to me so I could get my emails and calls and texts and he went to the store for food for him and pepto bismol. (approved fror dogs)

I feel like the walking dead right now, but seeing clover barking at the crockpot filled my heart with so much joy, I felt like the grinch when he realizes what christmas is really about! wink

I am so blessed to have such a HUGE suppost chain, and to have such an amazing husband, and friends, and my mom who came from work (she is a cop) to the vets and sat with me and then offered to pay the whole bill til I could pay her back. (we split it to make room for more care if need be over night at the e-vet) and to have so many love Clover so personally on here too and then my friends with southerncross who are there for me 24 hours a day if I need them....I never felt alone. **tears**
Posted by: jarn

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:04 PM

I'm so glad he's doing better!!!!!! What a relief for you!
Posted by: LukesMom

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:07 PM

Good boy Clover, I am so glad to hear you're feeling better. Keep milking Mom for all the special attention you deserve, you'll both feel better.
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:09 PM

That is wonderful news!!!!

We'll still be zooming you positive thoughts that he continues to improve smile
Posted by: Kris

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:14 PM

YAY - way to go Clover!! What a relief...

I had the same thing happen with Max once. Horrible vomiting, then dry heaves, then this horrible choking sound. I called my vet immediately (who of course was not nearly as panicky as I was). He said the choking was from acid reflux after all the vomiting. He told me to wait for a while, feed him a tablespoon of baby food to settle his tummy, wait another half hour, another tablespoon of baby food, etc. It worked! In 12 years, it had never happened before and it never happened again.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:19 PM

Yea for Clover and Robin.

Clover you just keep up the improvement and Raya says milk that home cooking for all it is worth.

Robin, grab a nap if you can, running yourself until you can't go any farther is not good for you.

Val

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:25 PM

thank you so much everyone!

i would nap, but my 3 year old daughter has now spiked a fever with vomitting....

i need a drink!

clover is still doing well and keeps jumping up on the side of the bed to check on his little human girl. wub

i am getting off here to get some rest since both my babies are asleep at the moment and i have to go in an hour and half for my other baby at school.

zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:32 PM

Robin! Can I say you are having a time!?! Hang in, my gosh, what an ordeal! Sick puppy, sick kid... I shudder.

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:40 PM

Whew ... that's really good news!
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 01:58 PM

I hope Clover continues to improve. I feel your pain. I am keeping positive healing vibes for you both (and your daughter too). When it rains, it pours!

Siena went through that when she was 4 months old (same age as Clover) and it ended up being an intussussception (the intesting telescoping inside itself and getting stuck). With the intussussception, it can come and go, so please keep an eye out for symptoms like he experienced. With Siena, no U/S was available, so they did an exploratory, found nothing (as they pull out the intestine to check for blockage it 'opened' the telescoping). But, one full week later, she was still very sick and close to dying. Took her to an E-Vet where they did another surgery and fixed her up good (although she lost about 6 inches of her intestine.)

I had never heard of this condition before, but it can effect young puppies (and children) and isn't too common, but the vet said it is an "unlucky puppy thing" which in her case was partially caused by a severe case of Giardia combined with food sensitivity (chicken) and IBD, causing inflammation in the gut that her body could not handle.

Please, please keep us posted. The pic of clover reminds me so much of Siena... poor guy. Best of luck.
Posted by: Karin

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 02:11 PM

I'm so glad that Clover is doing better. I hope that he is totally back to his old self real soon.
Posted by: Sage's mom

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 02:57 PM

so glad clover is feeling better, continued positive thoughts to him, you, and your daughter
Posted by: GrandJan

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 03:08 PM

Robin, just catching up with this. So glad to hear the baby is doing much better. Hope you and your daughter get the rest you need, and everyone is up to speed soon. hugging
Posted by: gsdlove212

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 04:20 PM

Glad to hear Clover is feeling better! Hopefully your skin kiddo will begin to feel better soon as well! Keeping you and yours in my prayers!
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 05:01 PM

Glad to hear Clover has improved!
Posted by: Koda's Mom

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 06:05 PM

Just got home from work. I'm glad the Clover is feeling better and I hope whatever had him so sick has passed, for good. Hope you baby girl feels better too. And please try and get some rest.
Posted by: butch33611

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 07:23 PM

I just read this thread and Im very happy to hear the outcome. The thing that struck me most was how lucky Clover is to have people who care enough about him that would sacrafice things they really care about to insure his well being. I too have a small gun collection and would gladly give it up if it would mean keeping Sarge with us.

Sounds to me like your husband is a pretty good guy and Clover is a very lucky Dog to have you both.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 08:01 PM

I just saw this - what you have gone through! I am so happy to hear things are on the upswing.

Hugs to you and your husband to be thinking of what you could sell if surgery was needed. True dog lovers. hugging

Clover- keep up sweetie and stay healthy. fetch

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 08:04 PM

Clover:
"What?? everyone was worried about ME???"

"well don't worry...I all better now!"

His vet called me this afternoon to check on him, and he has now passed more poop and its clear from blood and foreighn objects. The vet thinks it was something toxic, maybe fertilizer that the HOA people put down, or some for of poison, or something that he somehow found even though he spent 99% of his day leashed and tethered to me when I got home yesterday.

Looks like for the moment hubby's gun collection is safe!!!

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes today. I have never seen young dog so very very sick before. frown Thankfully my best furry buddy is going to hang around a bit longer! smile He is still eating well (and mad when there is no more in the bowl) and back to being Clover chewing on my feet at the computer and barking at me and killing Mr Chicken! I am the happiest puppy owner in the world right now!!! I slept for almost 3 hours this afternoon when hubby got home from work and ready for a long night again with the skin kid variety. smile

Diana, I am so glad siena was ok after her issue was found as resolved, its crazy how much we love these buggers!!
Posted by: Buoyant Dog

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:10 PM

Oh he is so cute! I am glad you are better, CLOVER! hugging
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:33 PM

So glad he's feeling better!

I've seen signs in front of ppl's houses telling the state to not put down weed killer in front of their house. The spray travels so he could have 'ingested' it as it floated around.

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:38 PM

I am going to look into a sign for fertilizer days for sure, and I have learned a lesson the hard way on how to be even more careful than I already am. We are changing the way we do a few things. He is terrorizing the kids again before bed tonight. LOL

hopefully after some sleep I will be able to type tomorrow.

Thank you all again!
Posted by: Arlene

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 09:45 PM

Thank goodness everything is ok...I am just reading this now & so happy Clover is feeling better smile
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 10:32 PM

glad to hear clover is feeling better
Posted by: Bradyddr

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/24/10 11:35 PM

YEAH!!!!
so glad he is doing better!!
hope your daughter is feeling better
darn you are having a few rough days
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/25/10 02:36 PM

I am so very happy that Clover is better! How scary, but you did the right thing taking him in smile May he continue to thrive!

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/25/10 02:39 PM

thank you all so much! yes he is 100% better today....

but he is being a MONSTER!!!!

Countersurfing in the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom....grabbing the kids juice boxes and running off, he was even mean to the cats when eating his food earlier, he threw a holy fit when he went in his crate earlier while I took my daughter to the doctors (she has strep) and then peed in the crate!!! He is trying to jump on my bed and totally going bizerk! Being spoiled for a few days turned him into a demon dog!!! hammer
Posted by: kaisersmom

Re: Need prayers for Clover - 03/25/10 04:15 PM

Sounds like he's making up for lost time! Glad to hear he's feeling better!! thumbup