Tramadol

Posted by: MaxaLisa

Tramadol - 01/20/14 12:36 AM

Anyone know roughly how long it takes for it to start working?
Posted by: TimberWolf

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 12:46 AM

When Does Tramadol Start Working?

Got this googling it.

In healthy adults, pain relief is felt almost immediately if Tramadol is administered locally via intra-dermal injection (through the skin). And Tramadol absorption is similarly rapid in oral liquid doses.

Tramadol levels in the blood peak 2 hours after taking a 100 mg oral dose. In clinical studies, the onset of pain relief was faster with a combination formula of tramadol hydrochloride and acetaminophen (brand name Ultracet) than Tramadol alone. Onset of analgesia (pain relief) occurred in less than one hour. However, it takes 2 days to reach steady-state concentrations of Tramadol in the blood at a dosing rate of four times per day.

As stated before Tramadol works differently for every person. Some people register no pain relief from Tramadol, even after days of taking it and especially if they are taking other opioid pain pills at the same time. Other people feel immediate local pain relief, especially when Tramadol is injected under the skin before dental surgery.

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 01:15 AM

Thanks Elvi! I was able to use some keywords in your info to narrow this down to dogs:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ob1PAQA...d=0CBEQ6AEwAjgK

IF I read that correctly on my phone screen, it says there is first evidence of it in the blood after 9.5 min???, 1.5 hrs to peak.

Great, thank you!
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 07:58 AM

when I started using tramadol on one of my dogs, years ago, I honestly saw very fast results..It is also noted, if I missed a day, I saw the difference as well..
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 11:21 AM

Chama was on that until she had a bad reaction to it. It worked immediately.
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 12:45 PM

I've taken it @ 50mg. It works well. However, neither my sister and I can take it without having a hangover from hell headache that has to wear off, no advil will touch it.

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone - I'm doing a trial with Jazz, to see if there is a pain component going on with her. We know she has inflammation, so I didn't want to use metacam.

I hope she tolerates it, at least for the short term, and I really hope she doen't have any of those weird symptoms that further make her feel bad frown
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 12:57 PM

Buddy used to get an occasional tramadol when he was still doing therapy work.

He seemed to also get immediate relief.

Hope it helps.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
.... I'm doing a trial with Jazz, to see if there is a pain component going on with her. ...

I don't know whether to wish for a pain component for Jazz or not, so I just hope you get clear results that help her crossedfingers

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 01:38 PM

Thanks MJ, I'm not sure what to hope for either. We have an appt on thursday to try to figure out our next step, so gathering info right now...
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 07:30 PM

I hope she tolerates it, at least for the short term, and I really hope she doen't have any of those weird symptoms that further make her feel bad frown

Me too! crossedfingers

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 09:24 PM

smile paw
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 09:29 PM

what dosage did the vet give her?

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 09:37 PM

I am using her dosage from after her vaginal procedure, which was 1/4 of a 50mg tab, every 8-12 hours (she is just under 20 lbs). I really just need it before meals, which seems to trigger the tremors right now. I'm using that and some sucralfate to see if it makes a difference. She seems to be tolerating it, but she's only had two doses so far, just about to give her another.

LOL, not sure she is getting the full dose, these are Max's pills that expired last March. But it seemed to work very quickly last night when she was tremoring and feeling very bad.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 10:03 PM

I hope it works! I think that was the stuff that Chama got stoned on. laugh

Re: Tramadol - 01/20/14 10:37 PM

Thanks smile Lol, maybe stoned is better than tremoring!! confused2
Posted by: bianca

Re: Tramadol - 01/21/14 02:03 AM

Thanks smile Lol, maybe stoned is better than tremoring!! confused2

laugh Hoping you finally can get some answers on Thursday hugging Coopie had it after his hip surgery but to be honest I didn't notice any dramatic difference with him.
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Tramadol - 01/21/14 07:36 PM

I've taken it too (myself) and it works well. Generally, for me, within 30-60 minutes. Two pills (100mg) made me pretty darn loopy.
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Tramadol - 01/21/14 09:04 PM

Lol, maybe stoned is better than tremoring!! confused2

rofl2
Posted by: Shepherds

Re: Tramadol - 01/21/14 11:38 PM

How's Miss Jazz doing on the tramadol - any discernable difference yet?

For Levi it kicks in fully in about 30 minutes...he is now up to two twice a day (to help his arthritic front cope with his DM rear) and I (he) would not be doing well at all without it...

Re: Tramadol - 01/22/14 11:56 AM

I think it is making her a bit spacey, and maybe more constipated, the latter is definitely not good for her. But overall I think she is feeling better.
Posted by: Shepherds

Re: Tramadol - 01/22/14 03:35 PM

Oh yes, definitely has made Levi constipated..... Might be a bit more difficult for you with Jazz's gut issues, but I have added extra oil to Levi's diet to aide with that.

it's good news that she is happier....but still a puzzle for you as to why...is it because the tramadol is working as a pain reliever for something ....(concerning in itself for you).....or the fact she is a little bit stoned each day...so it's working as a stress/anxiety reliever....