Thoughts and prayers for Kayla

Posted by: Kayla's Dad

Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/06/14 11:44 PM

Have not posted in a long time.

Took Kayla to emergency vet this morning. She was way too lethargic and having trouble getting up.
She was in shock when we got to the hospital and X-rays showed a mass/tumor on her spleen that they suspected was causing internal bleeding. After stabilizing today, she is going into surgery tonight.

Please send her prayers and great thoughts for this journey.

Lisa, thank you again for your support and words today.

Samuel
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/06/14 11:59 PM

Oh Samuel, can I say again how much this sucks?

Do you know when surgery is? I will be up for awhile, so will be holding good thoughts. Please keep us posted how she is doing.

We have some links and information here, but I'm thinking that right now your focus is on the surgery tonight. I am glad that they got her stabilized.

hugging

crossedfingers
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/06/14 11:59 PM

Our best wishes for you and Kayla!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 12:18 AM

She's in surgery now. They stabilized her and did an ultrasound. They did see any evidence that anything had spread but did see a lot of blood in the abdomen. Decided not to wait longer.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 12:22 AM

She's been a healthy dog, that has to work in her favor.

Max's hemangio was pretty much everywhere once it was found. Some tumors are benign, but with the bleed, I don't think that's the case frown

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 12:41 AM

Out of surgery. Still getting blood transfusion and monitoring for irregular heart rate. Removed the spleen and performed a gastropexy while they were in there. Did not see any evidence that there was any spread of anything, but think it's too early to make that determination. Expecting results from tests of the tissues by Thursday.
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 12:51 AM

Sending good thoughts....

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 12:51 AM

If this is cancer, then the bleeding will encourage spread. You might want to talk to the vet about starting on some "anti-spread" drugs while you are waiting for the results? This dog used doxycycline and deramaxx, the latter, being an NSAID: http://www.fightcaninecancer.com/tiny.html

I don't know if any health food store around you might have a good general mushroom product. This is the particular one they are studying for hemangio, but I don't know if that means the others aren't as effective. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120910161556.htm
Posted by: Wolfie

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 02:42 AM

Sending healing thoughts and saying prayers for Kayla.butterflybloomrose

hugging's to you Samuel
Posted by: bianca

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 03:51 AM

Oh no hugging Sending so many positive thoughts and prayers for her recovery and the results hugging
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 04:13 AM

Aw, sending all good thoughts out to Kayla and you and your family, Samuel.

Hemangio is nasty--you definitely want to put her on the mushrooms Lisa is suggesting.
Posted by: Brooklyn

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 06:32 AM

Prayers for Kayla, you and the rest of your family.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 06:40 AM

Send good thoughts to Kayla. I am so sorry you are going through this.

hugging
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 07:59 AM

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you and Kayla.
I hate hemangio and hope you can find something to help combat it.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 08:08 AM

Many more good wishes for Samuel and Kayla. Please stay in touch about her condition and yours, as well.

Mary Jane
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 08:19 AM

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the best for Kayla.
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 08:29 AM

Oh Samuel, how scary - best wishes and positive thoughts for your beautiful Kayla! hugging
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 08:30 AM

Samuel, many good thoughts and prayers are beaming out for your dear Kayla. I am hoping she makes a full recovery and that you have her home very soon.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 09:01 AM

Sanding healing vibes to Kayla. What a great doggie dad for getting her in so she has a fighting chance.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 10:08 AM

Thinking of you guys this morning...
Posted by: Shilohsmom

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 10:27 AM

I'm so very sorry for what you are going through with your sweet Kayla. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. hugging
Posted by: Islandgsds

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 10:39 AM

I'm so sorry, sending good thoughts and prayers for your sweet Kayla. hugging
Posted by: Karin

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 11:16 AM

I'm so sorry that this is happening, Samuel. But it's really good that you took her in so quickly and that they are taking action very quickly too. I was doing a little googling on "splenic hemorrhage" and found that there are other reasons besides hemangiosarcoma for this type of internal bleeding, including something called "hematomas."

"Hematomas are formed by broken blood vessels that cause blood to accumulate in the spleen and are a common cause of splenic hemorrhage. They may be caused by previous trauma, or more commonly nodular regeneration, which is excessive production of splenic tissue. Hematomas may be quite large and are indistinguishable from hemangiosarcomas at surgery."

Many years ago, our last dog (before Heidi) had her spleen removed and it didn't cause her any problems. They also removed it because they saw some masses on it. They really thought it was hemangiosarcoma but it ended up being something else (I forget what), but benign. She didn't have the serious issue of internal bleeding that Kayla did, but I thought I'd just mention it because I'm really hoping that what Kayla has is also something that is not so serious.

Big hugs to you and your family and lots of good thoughts and prayers for Kayla that she will be OK. hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 03:08 PM

Just checking in for an update...many thoughts and prayers are coming your way hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 04:52 PM

First off thanks to everyone for your support, thoughts and prayers for Kayla.

Quick update. Just got back from vet. Kayla's doing fine considering. A little drugged still as they are weaning the pain medication. She walked outside to urinate while we were there, so walking around a little which is an improvement from when she would not get up yesterday morning.

She should be able to come home tomorrow or Wednesday.

Currently back work so will post later with a few pics after Lancer's class. So probably late Calif. time. Sis fortunately is closer to the vet and will stop by to visit later so Kayla has the family contact (and to remind the staff that I am bringing her home before they get too attached!)
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayla's Dad
She should be able to come home tomorrow or Wednesday.

crossedfingers That's great news!

We're rooting for Kayla and sending special thoughts your way.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 06:06 PM

Samuel, I am so happy for the good news. Looking forward to your update.

when Kayla comes home it will be very important for the first 7 - 10 days that she doesn't jump around or jump up on things. It will take a while for things to heal and settle into place.

I had a St.Bernard mix that had a spleen torsion and once he was healed up he was fine. He was such a stoic dog that I didn't know any thing was wrong with him until it was almost to late. The spleen kept doing it's thing and got to be the size of a basketball which bruised all of the intestines. So his recovery time was pretty long.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 06:51 PM

party Great news!!!!! Will look for update later. Take care hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 06:52 PM

I'm thrilled that Kayla will be able to come home. Yes!! thumbup

She will remain in my thoughts and prayers will be spoken as she slowly recovers.
Posted by: Cassidy's Mom

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 08:21 PM

I hadn't seen any recent updates of FB, so I'm checking in here - I'm glad to hear that she came through the surgery well and will be coming home soon. We've had lots of fun times over the years with Kayla and Lancer (and Samuel too!) and Dena, Keefer, and Halo on the beach at Fort Funston and by the bay at Point Isabel. Hoping for the best for a speedy and uneventful recovery. hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 10:03 PM

Must have been so nice to see her able to get up and walk after such a scare.

So glad that she will be home again soon hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/07/14 11:09 PM

Glad to hear Kayla is coming tomorrow or next day!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 12:59 AM

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 01:04 AM

There was only a few minutes between the pics of her laying there and standing. Considering she wouldn't get up at all Sunday morning, that was great to see. She's dragging het back right paw at the moment which is why they're putting the booty on before going out. When my sister saw her later in the afternoon, they had taken the wrap off and she didn't seem bothered when the vet touched and pressed on the sutures. Had an upbeat report tonight. The vet and techs love her, but then who wouldn't? Will see her around noon tomorrow and we'll see when she'll come home. Time to bring the crate and ex-pen back in the house and set up her "room"

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 01:39 AM

Awwww…. she looks so sweet (and in good spirits)--especially in the last two pictures. wub

I can see why everyone has fallen in love with her. I'm so glad to hear that she is coming home soon. Sending more prayers and healing thoughts for Kayla to have a complete and easy recovery.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 03:43 AM

Fantastic news! What a trooper she is wub wub
Posted by: Shepherds

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 05:03 AM

Gorgeous girl and so good to read she is in much better spirits and doing so much better.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 08:03 AM

Samuel,

Thanks very much for the updates and especially for the photos. Looking at her face, all you want is for Kayla to be well. I hope she gets back home where she belongs today, you all will feel much better.

Please do keep us posted,

MJ

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 08:17 AM

She looks pretty good for a gal that just had her middle disected. Hope she comes home later today.

She is lovely. smile wub
Posted by: arycrest

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 09:12 AM

Glad to hear Kayla's doing so well after her surgery ... she looks bright and chipper in the last two pictures!!! wub
Posted by: Harley120R

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 11:13 AM

What a great girl.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 11:34 AM

You're taking such great care of her samuel, even though she probably won't fully appreciate her restrictions during the recovery!

Thanks for the pictures, that's definitely a major surgery, and she's doing so well. I am so glad she will be home with you guys soon wub

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 05:24 PM

She looks wonderful hugging
Posted by: Tarheel

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 06:00 PM

Perhaps some doggie movies and extra dad time might help Kayla deal with recovery. Hope you are as good as new soon, pretty girl

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 07:45 PM

Saw her this afternoon, she's fine. Not dragging the back foot anymore so that's good.

And.....picking her up tonight around 9:30! groovy gsdsit

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 08:03 PM

She is gorgeous!!

I'm so thrilled she will be coming home. happyboogie

party

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 08:57 PM

So glad she is coming home tonight, and GREAT news that the paw is no longer dragging paw

Lancer is probably pretty confused right now, but I know he'll sure be happy to have sis home too!
Posted by: Barb E

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/08/14 09:54 PM

That is great that she gets to go home tonight!!!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 01:38 AM

Kayla's back home where she belongs! And right to her bed to settle in for the night. Do we sleep or keep one eye open? Trying to follow her lead.

Night Night

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 02:53 AM

I somehow expect that you all will have a very good rest tonight. sleep well!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 03:47 AM

Fantastic news!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 10:10 AM

I'm so happy to hear she is home and in your loving care. Your such a good Dad!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 11:32 AM

So glad she's back home! Now, she can relax and recover in the comfort of her own home.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 01:24 PM

I'm pleased your dear girl is back home with you! Wishing you both continued wellness. peacesign
Posted by: aubie

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 08:04 PM

Just read all this...my how terrifying! But so glad she's home! Prayers and hugs!!!

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/09/14 10:55 PM

Kayla back home and in her favorite spot-the nexus. Front door to her left. Kitchen and garage in front of her. Bedrooms, study and stairs to downstairs behind her. No one goes anywhere without the awareness of the lady on charge.

Restful day. She stays in the bedroom with her bed and ex-pen when I can't watch her. She'll go out to the garage and lay in her crate on in the spot in the pictures. First meal and poop since Saturday.

Have to spend some time at work tomorrow so she'll stay in my room with Lancer having the garage to himself. Fortunately work is close enough to make a few trips home as she needs to go out a bit more frequently. Will probably put the e-collar on, though she hasn't been paying any attention to the sutures.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 04:07 AM

She is looking so good!
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 08:27 AM

So good to see her at home. What a relief for you.

And still on sentry duty. Such a good girl. wub

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 08:37 AM

She takes her duties seriously!! Such a good girl, sounds like you have a pretty good routine worked out there.

She looks relieved to be home. If you're into that stuff, homeopathic arnica helps a lot of post-surgery muscle pain.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayla's Dad
Kayla back home and in her favorite spot-the nexus. Front door to her left. Kitchen and garage in front of her. Bedrooms, study and stairs to downstairs behind her. No one goes anywhere without the awareness of the lady on charge.

Love the part about the lady in charge. grin Glad to hear Kayla is home and doing well.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 08:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for the continued support and good support.

Lisa, I have a holistic on the list to talk with. It's the vet that DianaB has been taking Siena to for years. They were on my mind to talk about acupuncture for Kayla's hip dyplasia and hiking. Now add the events of this week to the discussion and your latest suggestion to the discussion. She is actually moving around pretty well at the moment. Thanks.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 08:16 PM

I'm kinda holding my breath for that patholigy report, but I know not nearly as much as you are hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 08:49 PM

Samuel the first few days aren't to bad with the stitches, but just like in humans in a few days when the healing is really working they will start to itch or feel a bit like they are pulling, that is the problem time.

Kayla sounds like my Cheyenne, we call her Cheyenne large and in charge.

More healing thoughts for Kayla.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/10/14 11:44 PM

Yep, kinda anxiously waiting for the results. Like to say it's not on the mind while waiting but who would fooling who? Just a 24/7 brick that we cope with. Have an appt with Lancer and the regular vet in the morning so will discuss some options for Kayla. And try to a phone consult with the holistic vets.

Val, that was what I was suspecting, that we wouldn't see her starting to go after the stitches and incision area until we take her off the antibiotics and pain medications this weekend.

She has now decided to go out to the backyard on her own so the dog door has to get closed which will not make Sir Lancer happy. Though the back is our usual place for the dogs to potty, it's two flights worth of stairs that I don't want Kayla using for the next few weeks until the stitches come. The front is only two steps, so that is where Kayla is restricted to for the next two weeks.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/11/14 02:32 AM

Good luck with Lancer tomorrow, hope that everything is okay with him.

When they start feeling better, like it seems she is now, it starts getting harder! I'm sure she misses her back yard smile

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/11/14 11:20 PM

Lancer's appt was just part of his annual check-ins so no worries there

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/11/14 11:20 PM

Kayla's diagnosis and suspicions confirmed. Hemangiosarcoma. As the surgeon did not find any other evidence of the cancer in her systems at the time they don't know what time we have.

Thus we begin this new journey of discoveries searching for paths and adventures not explored or experienced and to enjoy while we travel this road.
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/11/14 11:48 PM

I don't know if this info will be encouraging or not. The late Barker the Younger came down with hemangio. After her first bleed and operation (spleen removal), we started chemo which she tolerated very well. At this time, there was no other signs of cancer. I got 6 or 7 months before her second bleed. Ultra sound revealed that the cancer had spread to other organs and I had her euthanized. Subsequent information has indicated that's about it. I hope your protocol works for a longer remission.

It's a nasty cancer but I was told it is not painful for the dog.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/11/14 11:56 PM

hugging

We have a hemangio sticky:
http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/33013/Re_Cancer_Hemangiosarcoma#Post33013
Near the top of that thread is general cancer diet stuff.

Whatever you choose to do, or not to do, I am so glad that you get this extra time with her. Maay it outlast expectations hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 03:30 AM

hugging hugging Wishing you both so very much more time together hugging
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 06:32 AM

hugging I'm sorry.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 08:59 AM

Samuel, I am so sorry. We never have enough time with our companions.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 12:22 PM

I'm really sorry, Samuel. I was really hoping and praying that it was going to be something other than this. But you will be able to make the most of this time together and appreciate and cherish every moment. hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 12:58 PM

hugging May the time you have with your wonderful Kayla feel both rich and extended. hugging
Posted by: Brooklyn

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 03:55 PM

I am so sorry to hear this horrible news about Kayla........good thoughts and prayers each day for you and your beloved Kayla.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 05:04 PM

I'm so sorry to read this Samuel. Like so many others, I was hoping for the best. Cancer sucks frown
Posted by: Barb E

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 06:05 PM

I'm so sorry Samuel, I had so hoped for different news.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 08:38 PM

Samuel, I very sorry to hear the news about Kayla. frown

hugging's and comforting support to you both.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 09:04 PM

Samuel,

It is very hard to confront this disease with your dear Kayla. But everything that you have posted says plainly that Kayla will live everyday to the fullest in your loving hands.

MJ

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/12/14 09:31 PM

I have been off for a few days and just checked back in. Very happy to see Kayla is home and resting well. Very sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

I have little experience with this but others have had some success with beating this back. I think Lisa posted the sticky. Hugs to you guys. Kayla is such a beauty. She looks like my Kayos.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/13/14 11:11 AM

We're going to the Morris Animal Foundation K9 Cancer Walk in Los Gatos this morning. There are 800+ people going and so far, they've raised almost $78,000 for canine cancer research. Our German Shepherd meetup group has raised $2500, and 26 dogs and their owners will be participating in the walk.

Our first dog, Sheba, died of leukemia, which is one of the reasons we signed up for the walk. I'll be thinking of Kayla and all of the other dogs on this board who have been stricken with cancer. I hope that one day there will be much better detection and treatment for this terrible disease.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/13/14 02:20 PM

Thank you to everyone for their good wishes for Kayla.

Karin, sounds like a great walk for a great cause. Hope you guys had a great time out there.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/13/14 04:13 PM

I'm terribly sorry to hear the news about Kayla's diagnosis. My thoughts are with you. hug
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/15/14 08:28 AM

Aaaw Samuel, I am sorry to read of Kayla's diagnosis. hugging Wishing you both all the very best for the future. hugging

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/15/14 01:25 PM

Been thinking of you guys. I hope that Kayla"s recovery is uneventful and she is regaining her strength.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/17/14 12:30 AM

Thanks. Been sorting through and dealing with things and emotions as we get back into our routine.

Kayla's doing good, getting back to her energy and attention levels. Has not been bothering the sutures. Have to manage her more to keep her in low key mode which is a good thing. Using a bite-not collar instead of the dreaded e-collar. (Two more weeks before we can go out on a hike? ARRGGHH.)

Sutures come out next Tuesday. I talked with a Holistic Vet Center in Oakland today and will set up an appointment probably for Saturday so I'll gather more info to discuss with our regular vet on Tuesday.

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/17/14 01:31 AM

That stage where they are better, but not completely, is difficult!! I bet you all are going stir crazy with such a disruption in your activities.

Good luck with the vets, I hope that they are able to provide some positive direction. Some cancers, it's pretty clear what you can do in terms of support, either holisticallly, conventially, or otherwise. Hemangio is such a nasty and unpredictable cancer. Max had vitamin C infusions for a very long time, though we didn't know that he had cancer at the time. Between that and the aggressive doxycycline, I think it slowed the growth. But max was very complicated, he had other chronic illness.
Posted by: aubie

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 04/19/14 09:35 AM

So sorry Samuel. I hope the HV can help out and that you two can soon enjoy some hiking and enjoy evey second you have together! hugging
Posted by: FurKids

Re: Thoughts and prayers for Kayla - 07/18/14 07:27 AM

Thank you for this thread, I'm so sorry about Kayla's diagnosis. Lisa pointed me here because Riley will likely have to have his spleen removed very soon. Will find out more later this morning, back to the vet for more ultrasound. Not going to hijack your thread so that's all I'll say other than our best to you, your family and your pretty girl, Kayla.