Shiloh is at the Vet

Posted by: Shilohsmom

Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 12:19 PM

Yesterday I found a huge mass on his behind, it's bigger than a golf ball. I have no idea if this just happened or if I somehow missed it with all the hair. My first thought was it was a huge matt but a closer look showed it was a huge mass.

I took him to the Vet first thing this morning. Of course, the Vet doesn't know yet what it is but they have him now and are going to biopsy it. Unfortunately, it sounds like its going to take awhile to get the results of that biopsy.

I'm really out of it from my chemo but requests lots of thoughts and prayers for my precious boy. The Vet did say he thinks he'll be able to remove it ok.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 01:00 PM

Not our Eeyore! Poor guy frown.

It's awful when there's something wrong with our furries and it's really tough that you are still recovering from your own treatment.

Anyway, lots and lots of these crossedfingers.

Did the vet decide to remove the whole mass now?

take care,
MJ

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 02:33 PM

Thanks Mary Jane. It has been a rough morning. Shiloh is home now (complete with cone of shame). As it turned out there was a second lump next to the first. They are large. They did biopsy's on both and now we have to wait. I'm still in shock. I can't believe there is not only one lump but two and they are huge! I am feeling really, really sick but thankfully I was able to get him taken care of. I apologize if I'm all over the place here but they did full x-rays as well and the doctor said they looked fine. I'll try to get some pictures later.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 02:42 PM

The doctor said he would get the results and then go from there as far as removing them. He wanted to get as much info possible before he goes in to remove them. He did say there was a lot of blood in the first one that indicates its fast growing.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 03:29 PM

Hold on there, Rosa. I know you completely trust your vet-but it is the very devil to wait.

I hope Shoshi and Eli are being sweet to poor Shiloh in his cone.

take care,
MJ

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 03:55 PM

Thank you my dear friend. Of course, I'm worried, but I'm thinking its going to be just fine. I do trust my Vets and dear friend. I'm very happy that he is doing everything beforehand so he will be more prepared when he does go to remove them.

Shiloh is just resting now. Unfortunately, his brother and sister are of little help as they are busy jumping off the walls and barking at everything within site smile
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 04:18 PM

I would start him on some IP6 and inositol. GSDs are at risk for anal gland cancer, and from what I've read they are primarily adenocarcinomas, which IP6 is pretty effective for.

If there is going to be another surgery, it's also a good idea to get him on something to help prevent spread from the surgery. With luck, it's benign, but I would err on the side of caution here.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 04:56 PM

Here's some pictures. The Vet put him on antibiotics and pain pills.

Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 05:50 PM

Sending Shiloh lots of hugs and prayers. I will be thinking of him and you. hugging
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 06:33 PM

Thinking of you and Shoshi. hugging

I'm so sorry you have this worry.
Posted by: Islandgsds

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 07:29 PM

Oh Rosa, I'm so sorry. I know you dote on your precious pups so this must have been mighty fast growing.
Poor sweet Shiloh, many virtual hugs and I'm sending my best healing thoughts for a good report from the vet. hugging hugging hugging hugging hugging hugging x 1,000,000

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 07:38 PM

Thank you all for all your warm thoughts and caring words. I ended up taking the cone off and exchanging it for the donut we had. Shiloh is definitely more comfy now.

It's going to be a long wait but I tend to think its going to be ok. I just wish I felt better so I could feel like I was helping him more.
Posted by: TimberWolf

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 07:44 PM

Rosa, these could just be fatty tumors which are harmless. So, even though it may not looks good, it doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. At least I am hoping it is the version that is quite common in GSD but harmless. Please give your little fluff ball Shiloh a gentle hug and kiss from me. Hang in there. I know this is scary. hopefully, they will hurry up with the test results so you can breathe again. hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: LMS
Rosa, these could just be fatty tumors which are harmless. So, even though it may not looks good, it doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. At least I am hoping it is the version that is quite common in GSD but harmless. Please give your little fluff ball Shiloh a gentle hug and kiss from me. Hang in there. I know this is scary. hopefully, they will hurry up with the test results so you can breathe again. hugging

Honestly, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'll be sure to give him a wee little kiss and hug from you when he's done eating his dinner. Thanks.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 09:59 PM

Rosa, these could just be fatty tumors which are harmless. So, even though it may not looks good, it doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. At least I am hoping it is the version that is quite common in GSD but harmless. ...

I must have missed something - did the vet say that there is something like this that is common in GSDs and harmless?

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 10:18 PM

No Lisa not in this situation. Max has a fatty tumor and that is what my Vet told me regarding it.
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 10:34 PM

hugging hugging hugging I'm voting for benign fatty tumors also, normal, age-related, and seen in plenty of GSDs, Labs, etc. peacesign May you get a good-news phonecall, and sooner than you expect! I'll be sending more healing energy for sweet Shiloh over the weekend. Count on it! grouphug

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/17/14 10:55 PM

Oh, you mean fatty tumors? The vet most likely could have looked at fluid from those in the office and told you what they were? I always had Indy's fatty tumors aspirated and identified there in the office when a new one popped up - the fatty fluid I believe has a pretty characteristic look.

Did the vet say anything at all about what he thought they were? There are things that can be done as a precautionary step....
Posted by: Brooklyn

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 07:06 AM

I'm hoping that you get good news from the vet quickly. Waiting can be such torture in these situations. Prayers to Shiloh and you.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 07:15 AM

Hoping for good news Rosa!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the words of support for my dear Shiloh. He had a good nights rest but honestly, he doesn't act like anything is wrong at all.

I can't say I remember everything the Vet said. I did the best I could to stay focused but I may have missed things. I remember him wanting to have as much information as possible before he went to remove them. I'm sure if he could have told me they were fatty tumors he would have. That's not to say they aren't fatty tumors, it's just that we don't know.

Hopefully, we will get news sooner rather than later.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 12:33 PM

Hoping the best for Shiloh. i think you are doing an awesome job managing the dogs especially with your health issues. Hugs.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
Hoping the best for Shiloh. i think you are doing an awesome job managing the dogs especially with your health issues. Hugs.

Thank you so much. I soooooo needed to hear this! Yesterday was brutal and trying to understand all this while in a fog was so hard. It's times like that that I really had to fight my own desire to crawl under the covers and instead make sure my boy is getting the best care.
Posted by: Karin

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 01:05 PM

I'm so sorry that you're going through this worry for Shiloh, Rosa. And I feel so bad that you're feeling so awful. I hope that these are benign fatty tumors and I hope that you feel better real soon. hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 01:41 PM

I think crawling under the covers for awhile is a natural response - you have more than your hands full here hugging

I continue to hope for positive news from the biopsy!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 02:00 PM

Rosa, you are doing a fantastic job for your dear Shiloh. hugging I hope that you both can enjoy a bit of rest today, you must perhaps feel drained? My wish is that you get a happy news phonecall very soon, and can breathe more easily. You have a great vet you trust, Shiloh is in good health, and you are taking excellent care of him. May this weekend slide smoothly by and hopeful news come sooner than expected. grouphug

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your continued support and words to help keep me going. Shiloh is doing fine, I'm a wreak but he's fine. It just really appears that these lumps are even larger today than they were yesterday. Perhaps its just swelling from the biopsy's?? And now his hair is getting stuck in the sutures. I cut the hair away so it won't pull but its still stuck.

The Vets office called to check on him and I made an appointment to bring him in first thing Monday morning. I just want this monitored by the Vet.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 07:18 PM

I would start anti-cancer supplements now. Anal cancer is fast growing, deeper than appears on the surface, and agressive, and you won't hurt anything by starting them if it's not cancer, except maybe some stomach upset if there is an allergy, and he will let you know.

At minimum, I would have blood chemistry run if it wasn't done at the biopsy. High calcium is often seen in some types of these cancers.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I would start anti-cancer supplements now. Anal cancer is fast growing, deeper than appears on the surface, and agressive, and you won't hurt anything by starting them if it's not cancer, except maybe some stomach upset if there is an allergy, and he will let you know.

At minimum, I would have blood chemistry run if it wasn't done at the biopsy. High calcium is often seen in some types of these cancers.

I just can't go there right now. As hard as it is, I need to believe its not cancer until I'm told otherwise.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 08:40 PM

Very good, Rosa, for remaining as calm as you can, and living in the moment. Tomorrow will take care of itself. You are doing a GREAT job caring for Shiloh. You clearly adore handsome Shiloh, and he is benefiting now from the warm, positive energy and love you are beaming toward him. A good peek by the vet Monday will help you feel better, because it will be being monitored. That's a good thing. Plus, some fuzz stuck to the biopsy sites may not bother Shiloh, but the vet may be able to trim things up better with the sutures so that it won't worry you so much. You are a super Mom, and doing a really great job right now. thumbup Lots of positive, supportive thoughts, energy, and hugs your way, and Shiloh's, too! hugging
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 09:06 PM

Sending all good thoughts your way, Rosa and hoping that your boy Shiloh is just fine. I'm glad that he is feeling well and living in the moment. hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/18/14 09:39 PM

Dear Dear Rosa,

This is some kind of torture, waiting for biopsy results. To be blunt, I am sure that Lisa is completely right about supplements and I guess that your spirit needs to get your vet's report to act.

So I can only suggest that you continue Rosa's dog paradise that you created and maintain. You'll get results Monday (I hope) and work from there.

Nobody on earth loves Shiloh like you do and he thrives in that space. Keep up the good work and take care,

MJ
Posted by: arycrest

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 03:26 AM

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. Sending lots of love and prayers to you, Shiloh and the rest of the pack that the biopsy results will bear good news.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 03:37 AM

Your doing fantastic with Shiloh Rosa. Palla had a fast growing lump on her rear flank and we took her in to get it checked. Turned out to be a benign cyst. She had another lump appear a month ago. Vet took a measurement and a week later the thing had shrunk to almost nothing. It will be what it will be.

Waiting for the results can be agonizing but you will be in Monday. For now it might serve you both better to crawl into bed and spend a lazy Sunday cuddled up together. {Hugs}.
Posted by: Shepherds

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 04:39 AM

So very sorry to read this Rosa....Sending good thoughts to you and Shiloh. Hopefully it is nothing sinister and you can then relax and look after yourself.

hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 09:18 AM

Hi Rosa! Just checking in to let you know that I'm thinking of you and Mr. Dignified Himself! You are doing exactly the right things for him, and he is basking in the soothing glow of your love. May this week's news bring a happy sigh of relief and a good gameplan going forward! cheers More Reiki coming Shiloh's way-- and yours, too! peacesign hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 09:43 AM

Stopping by with more good wishes for Shiloh. I know how agonizing waiting for results can be.

I hope time flies and results are benign. thumbup

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 10:59 AM

This time tomorrow we will be pulling into the parking lot at the vets. I just really hope the results come sooner rather than later. I will be on edge until I hear.

Shiloh is doing fine. The lumps look really sore but he's handling it well. I'm keeping him on the pain meds just in case. I guess I'm just too stressed out to write anymore now. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 11:51 AM

Good luck at the vet's!
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 12:35 PM

Sending good wishes to you and Shiloh.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 03:27 PM

This is hitting me really hard in more ways than one. I'm doing my best not to let this pull me down into a massive depression. Friends, I remind you I have prayed for one thing-to live long enough to raise my dogs. That's all I've asked for (begged for)so this with Shiloh and the possibility of loosing him is much more than loosing him. It will just put me one step closer myself. Please, at this point lets keep the thoughts and prayers going and not mention cancer... We really need to focus and pray for this to just be fatty tumors that will easily be removed.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 03:53 PM

Rosa take a long and deep breath. You are doing the very best for Shiloh. I have viewed the pictures that you have posted on your furry family members. No human could love and care more for your dogs then you do.

I sometimes sing that wonderful song............"If your happy and you know it, wag your tail." I can feel the love you have for your pack through the posts you make. You and your pack are bonded and whatever happens nothing will change that!

Know that I will be praying along with everyone else on this forum.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 06:29 PM

hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 07:20 PM

I'm sending you upbeat, happy, peaceful vibes, dear Rosa. hugging hugging hugging I understand what you mean. hugging Please know that more healing energy and prayers are right now being beamed for Shiloh to have a benign result as soon as possible, and for peace and strength for you during your wait. hugging peacesign hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 08:02 PM

hugging hugging hugging

Thinking of you and your babies.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/19/14 10:02 PM

Sending good thoughts and prayers from NH (& CT, too)
Posted by: bianca

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 04:15 AM

Oh Rosa I am so sorry I hadn't seen this until just now. You are doing so well and I am sending all my prayers for good test results. Please take as good a care of you as you do your babies hugging hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom
This time tomorrow we will be pulling into the parking lot at the vets. .....

crossedfingers

MJ
Posted by: Sylv

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 11:55 AM

Thinking of you and your precious boy grouphug
Posted by: Kris

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 12:08 PM

Rosa, I just had to have a mass removed from Petie the poodle. My vet was concerned when he felt it and rather than do a biopsy, he just took it off. It grew fast too and had blood in it. Turns out it was some sort of foreign body - either a bug bite or a fox tail. She gets those when we walk and even though I check her each time, I might have missed one. It's entirely possible that on your vacation, all the romping in ponds and fields that they did, maybe Shiloh picked up something like that. All fingers crossed for good news. I wish I could take the stress away, but I know how you are with your kids... hugging
Posted by: FurKids

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 01:55 PM

I haven't read every of the many posts but my heart goes out to you. Hopefully, they will turn out to be nothing serious, get'm gone and be done with it. But I do wonder why they didn't just remove the pesky things as long as they were under anesthesia for the biopsy?

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 02:25 PM

Thank you all so very much for all your kind words and encouragement. I'm doing better today. In fact, I cancelled the appointment today with the Vet as there really wasn't a reason to have him look at it today.

I talked to Anne last night and that helped a lot. She said all the lumps and bumps are her dogs (and she's has and has had many, many German Shepherds over the years) have just been benign fatty tissue type things-not cancer. She's had dogs with Cancer but the lumps and bump type things have always been benign.

Perhaps he picked up something on the trip??? I just don't know.

I've called the Vet once today to check for the results. I wasn't expecting anything and that's what I got smile I did apologize ahead of time as I told them I would be calling on a regular basis until I find out.

So for now I just wait. I do feel more hopeful though.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 04:07 PM

Just stopping by to leave you some of these: hugging hugging hugging You are doing a remarkable job of calming yourself in a situation where patience isn't so easy. I'm glad you rang Anne! I am wishing very happy news via phonecall from the vet soon. Until then, I'm waiting right along with you! hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 04:16 PM

Rosa, I think you are taking a good approach. One thing I would do is to provide ways to strengthen the immunity system. I read somewhere (I know, I know...not a scientific approach to say that), that dogs develop those tumors in their older age because of their immune system being weaker. So, I totally am with Lisa about the IP6. I have used IP6 for Lexie and it has done wonders for her.

Hoping that the lab results will be good and there won't be any worries to have. Hugs

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 04:31 PM

Thinking of you and your kids Rosa hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 07:32 PM

Time for a wonderful update!!!!!!!!! The Vet just called and its good news. The second one is just a fatty tumor. The first one is a different kind of tumor but not cancer. He said it was something that sounded like histro something...not sure.. he explained its filled with blood basically. Both will be removed on Wednesday!!!!! OMG I just have sooooo many calls to make but I wanted to come here first.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 07:50 PM

....breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Thank you for the update, Rosa. Now hopefully, you can be at peace and concentrate on getting well yourself. Hugs

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 07:58 PM

Time for a wonderful update!!!!!!!!! The Vet just called and its good news.

Doing the happy dance for sweet Shiloh and you. groovy

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 08:10 PM

happyboogie Happy dancing!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 08:15 PM

I'm just so relieved. I will follow up on that IP6. I was doing some reading about that but need to do some more research on that, its interesting. I'm just so relieved now.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 08:41 PM

I'm just so relieved. ...

and everybody here happyboogie

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 08:49 PM

http://m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/skin/c_dg_histiocytoma ???

This is fantastic news - so happy to hear it groovy

Whew!
Posted by: Karin

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 08:58 PM

Wow! I checked back to this thread with a bit of nervousness, but was SOOO relieved to hear that the growths are benign. What a huge relief, Rosa! happyboogie

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 09:13 PM

And the crowd goes WILD!! happyboogie happyboogie happyboogie happyboogie happyboogie Great news, Rosa! party Time to r-e-l-a-x and HUGE those puppers! grin

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 09:13 PM

partyYAHOO! happyboogie I'm so relieved for you Rosa.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 09:19 PM

happyboogie

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 09:23 PM

I just went down and got a copy of the biopsy report. The second one is Lipoma (a fatty tumor). The microscopic description states 'The examined section is composed of an expansile mass of well-differentiated adipocytes supported by moderate amounts of fibrovascular stroma. Changes indicative of malignancy are not detected.'

The first one is called Cutaneous Hemangioma. That one reads 'The examined cutaneous tissue is characterized by an expansile neoplasm of blood-filled vascular channels lined by well differentiated to slightly plump endothelial cells that are supported by variably thickened walls of collagen. This is a mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis. Mitotic figures average less than 1 per 10 HFP. There are multifocal foci of hemorrhage and secondary inflammation.'

I think I got that right.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 09:40 PM

It feels good to be able to breathe. happyboogie Thanks everyone for all your concern and support. This has been really hard for me and I'm so blessed to be able to get such support here. hugging
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/20/14 11:02 PM

happyboogie
Posted by: bianca

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/21/14 03:27 AM

Thank dog! party hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/21/14 03:57 AM

Best news Rosa hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/21/14 06:34 AM

Awesome! Great news for you and Shiloh.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/21/14 08:01 AM

groovy
Posted by: FurKids

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/21/14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SeanRescueMom
Time for a wonderful update!!!!!!!!! The Vet just called and its good news.

Doing the happy dance for sweet Shiloh and you. groovy

Ditto!
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 08:17 AM

Whew!! party penguin_spin

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 09:07 AM

Well, I'm getting ready to drop Shiloh off at the Vet's for his surgery today. Of course, there's always concern when a pup has surgery but I feel confident that all will go well and I'll soon be bringing home a very sleepy puppy dog.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 09:09 AM

Many, many, MANY positive thoughts and prayers zooming out for Shiloh to do well and recover smoothly and swiftly! crossedfingers peacesign paw Today I am beaming positive energy out for your dear Shiloh. A happy butt is a good butt! thumbup You have a fantastic vet you trust, and he'll take excellent care of your Mr. Handsome. Continuing good thoughts and healing vibes are on the way! bloomrose

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 09:23 AM

hugging May the surgery go smoothly and the recovery time be short and uneventful.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 10:25 AM

hugging May the surgery go smoothly and the recovery time be short and uneventful.

X2

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 03:37 PM

No news yet. I think I'll just stop by down there and see how its going.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 04:53 PM

I just stopped by at the Vets. They had just finished the surgery shortly before my arrival. Shiloh did great!!!! I saw the masses they removed. One was smaller (but still sizeable) and the other was really big. The really big one was the vascular one (the one filled with blood). Dr. even showed me as he cut into the both so I could see how the one was fatty and the other filled with blood.

Of course, I tried to be quiet but someone had opened the door to the recovery room and Shiloh heard by voice. Reluctantly, I went back. It was so good to see him. Oh my, my boy! He was up and so wanted out. Dr. decided to give him something to calm him down some so he could rest and I left.

I didn't see his back area, only that cute little face in the cone. But he looked wonderful. I'm so relieved this part is over. The doctor explained there might be some parts that come open just a little due to how much was removed and the limited amount of skin left but assured me it likely won't happen and its ok if it does. He said he put several layers of sutures and staples so he'll be ok.

I pick him up between 3-4.

After that I swung by the store and picked him up a wee little steak to enjoy with his dinner. Of course, we all need to celebrate some. Don't want to give him too much after surgery but a little will be ok I'm sure.

In the meantime, as I'm waiting through all this, the police show up at my house. It seems someone complained about the pups barking with another dog in the neighborhood (must be the new neighbors). He was pretty cool about it. I guess the neighbors don't realize it but I'm kind of thinking the barking sounded better than my now having to yell 'ELI SHUT UP' all the time. Wonder if they will call the police on me now? Oh well, my only concern right now is with Shiloh and getting him home and healed.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 05:17 PM

I'm sorry I didn't realise today was surgery day. I'm so happy all went well.

Darn new neighbors. frown

Hopefully they'll come around and become more a good part of the neighborhood soon.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 05:43 PM

Healing vibes zooming out for Shiloh! May he be home and all snuggled up in his usual spot soon. What a super boy Shiloh is! Wishing a very comfy rest for everyone in your home tonight! peacesign

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 06:04 PM

I am glad to hear that Shiloh is out of surgery and doing well.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 07:10 PM

Just a really quick update as I need to keep my eyes on Shiloh. He's home groovy I'm really going to have to keep an eye on him at all times right now. Since they had to take off so much, skin the area back there might come open some, I'm not to worry about it. He's got several layers of stitches and staples.

Its just such a relief to have him home. I also got some meds for sedation. I plan (right now) to keep him slightly sedated over the next couple of days. I'm just so glad this is over. Of course, I trust the Vet 100% but in the back of my mind I kept thinking 'but he is 11 years old'...

Better run, Nurse Mama is on duty!!!!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 07:17 PM

Rosa, thank you for the update. I am so glad the surgery went well and Shiloh seems to recover from the surgery quickly. I am not surprised that he heard your voice. Your babies are totally tuned into you. I think they probably could have put 3 steel doors in-between him and you and he still would have known you were there. smile.

May he continue to recover nicely and quickly. Too bad the neighbors decided to add to the stress already. There is always one in the neighborhood. Isn't there? In taking care of Shiloh, please don't forget to take also good care of yourself.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 08:50 PM

Well I gave him his dinner and he is now resting. smile I took a few pictures:

Its really swollen all over down there, but I'm sure that's to be expected. I'm just so happy to have him home and in my arms and care.

Shiloh is so much my rock. He's as solid and dependable as they come.

I'm not the least bit worried about the neighbors complaining to the Police about barking. I likely would have been more upset if I didn't have something more important on my mind. I did go over and visit with the other neighbor that the police went to today. We just don't have a clue as to who would have complained. There's really no one here during the day which is one reason I don't worry about Eli's barking. I was thinking it might be the new neighbor but I don't want to assume anything. Its just not worth it. Again, I'm just not worried about it right now, I have my boy to take care of.

Thanks again for all the support.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 09:20 PM

Oh my goodness, that looks tough. Wow!! Poor Shiloh.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 09:22 PM

Shiloh is so much my rock. He's as solid and dependable as they come.

and you Lady give the same neverending support right back to your beautiful furries. A thousand gentle hugs to the rock of Shiloh and a few gentle, firm hugs to Rosa also smile

Get some rest, everybody-you are all back together.

MJ

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/22/14 10:10 PM

Each day better, each day stronger as Shiloh's incisions heal up in record time! crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers I am so glad your handsome boy is home, and resting comfortably with you. You are doing a fantastic job caring for your sweet Shiloh. May you all sleep well tonight! hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 03:15 AM

Wow, that's a pretty huge area!! So glad that things went well - I hope that he heals up quickly hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 07:08 AM

I'm so happy that Shiloh's home and that the surgery went well. Try and do a little something for yourself after you take care of your furry family. You have been though a lot and I'm sure you could use a little extra rest.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 09:46 AM

Shiloh had a good nights rest and is managing the cone pretty well. The incisions look good, although there is a great deal of swelling which I'm sure is to be expected.

I'm just planning a very quiet day with him. Shoshi and Eli are so cute. They've gone up to him ever so carefully and just kind of give him a sniff with little concerned faces.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 10:01 AM

Rosa, if Shiloh will allow it you might want to try some ice packs to help keep the swelling down. No more than 20 mins.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 05:47 PM

We woke up for a few hours this morning and then all went back to bed. I'll call the Vet and ask about ice. I'm not sure they want me touching the area. But I can ask and thanks for the suggestion!

Shiloh is just resting. I do have him on the sedative and will likely keep him on that one more day. The less he is moving around the more the area has a chance to heal. So far everything is in tack except one wee little bity spot and that's pretty much the way it was yesterday. I think he just didn't have the enough skin there.

So, so far so good. Thanks everyone for all the care, concern and wonderful thoughts and prayers.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 07:46 PM

Glad you are all resting and taking it easy! May the swelling go down day by day, and Shiloh's healing be swift and smooth! crossedfingers Lots of good vibes flowing out to you and your precious three babies. hugging

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/23/14 09:13 PM

.....So, so far so good. ...
smile

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/24/14 01:48 AM

Glad all is still doing well. I think keeping him sleeping and resting is a good idea smile , that's a pretty uncomfortable area for them to have a large wound! As he gets better, you might try MJ's epsom salt soak trick, but too early for that...

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/24/14 10:30 AM

Just a quick update, Shiloh had another restful night. He's doing well with his cone and will be resting today. The wounds look great and I think the swelling is going down some...maybe a wee little bit.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/24/14 01:07 PM

Good news. groovy May it continue that way. Thank you for the update, Rosa.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/24/14 10:18 PM

I hope he continues with a speedy recovery...

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/25/14 06:43 AM

Hoping all is well with the pack and you today. Rest is a wonderful thing and I'm sure it is helping Shiloh get over his surgery. May you all be up and about soon!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/25/14 07:39 PM

At this point, I could not be happier with his healing. The incisions look perfect. He was moving around a bit this am so I gave him another sedative. This should be the last one I give him. He is still able to move around and follow me with the sedative but I think its helping him to sleep more in between. I know that I will feel much better with each passing day as the area heals and the quieter he is the better it will heal. I do feel a bit guilty for sedating him, but at the same time I know I'm doing it for him.

His spirits are good and he's managing that darn cone pretty well.

Thanks for all the support.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/25/14 11:39 PM

I havent been around for the past few days Rosa.
Wow, that was quite the surgery. I wouldn't feel too bad about keeping Shiloh sedated. It keeps him resting, rest is healing.Your such a good mom to your beloved pups, they are so lucky they have you and I'm sure you feel so lucky to have them.

Eli makes me laugh, Larka is the big mouth around here. She sits out back barking at nothing in particular, I think she just likes to tell herself stories and thinks everyone else wants to hear it also.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/26/14 06:26 PM

Just a quick update. I didn't do the sedative today and it sure has made a difference. Shiloh is up and down and busy checking everything out again. Oh, I so hope we have a house left after this cone comes off smile

So far, so good though. The incisions are healing very well and the swelling has gone down quite a bit. I think I'll call the Vet tomorrow and ask if he can go for any types of wee walks and when. I need to ask about flea prevention as well. The other two were just treated so they will be protected while boarding, but I didn't want to do him what with the surgery and all. I'm just not sure when he too can be treated. I'm sure the Vet will let me know.

But his spirits are good and I'm just so very blessed to have my boy!!!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/26/14 06:46 PM

Sweet, handsome Shiloh is doing better every day! I love reading about his swelling going down, and his explorations as he's moving about to do his usual sentry duty. wub I'm sure your vet will have the right guidance for flea preventative. How great that his incision is healing so nicely already! You must be relieved to see it looking better hugging Sending ongoing good vibes out Shiloh's way! butterfly

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/27/14 08:39 PM

Shiloh continues to heal, although I don't think the house will ever be the same... with that cone its like of like having a bull in a china shop rofl I just have to remind myself that its much harder for him than it is for me. smile

I'm thrilled with the healing that's taking place. I'm not sedating him any longer but it did make things a lot easier those first few days. It so helped having him rest and heal without worrying about him here, there and everywhere. He still followed me everywhere but when I was calm so was he.

I'm really proud of my boy. He's such a trooper.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/28/14 06:42 AM

So happy that things are progressing nicely with Shiloh. I'm sure it won't be long before you and the pack are able to enjoy the fall weather. Enjoy your day!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/28/14 05:28 PM

How is Shiloh doing today? I hope his incisions speedily heal right up, and you feel optimistic and happy with his progress! Sending more good vibes Shiloh's way! peacesign

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/29/14 09:48 AM

Shiloh is doing great!!!! We both are really excited about getting that cone off in a week groovy The incisions look great. I'm just thrilled with his recovery.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/29/14 12:46 PM

.... I'm just thrilled with his recovery.

Me, too smile

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/30/14 07:56 PM

Shiloh continues to do just fine. I actually took the cone off today but am watching and he has not made any attempts to mess with the incisions. I'll put it back on tonight just to be on the safe side, but it sure feels good for both of us to catch a break from that cone.

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/30/14 09:49 PM

Every day better and more well, Handsome Shiloh! You've done a great job Rosa, he is healing right on schedule. May everything continue healing smoothly and speedily for your gorgeous sweet boy!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 10/31/14 08:27 PM

Shiloh continues to do just fine.

thumbup

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 11/01/14 06:45 AM

So happy that Shiloh is on the mend!

Re: Shiloh is at the Vet - 11/01/14 09:37 AM

Way to go, Shiloh! Handsome boy, healing rapidly! thumbup Wishing you good things, dear boy!