Tramadol and hypoglycemia

Posted by: MaxaLisa

Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/11/14 04:09 AM

http://www.lef.org/news/lefdailynews?NewsID=23225&Section=Disease
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/11/14 08:25 AM

Very interesting, I sent it to my hubby who takes it. I have noticed his memory is not what it used to be.
Posted by: Charlotte

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/11/14 09:26 AM

Interesting.

I have heard that even thought still popular as a pain medicine for dogs, more and more veterinarians are moving away from it. Apparently not as effective as pain management for dogs as first thought.

On a personal note, Tramadol was prescribed to me when I broke my ankle and it made me sick sick
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/11/14 12:39 PM

Extremely interesting. I wake up with the headache from hell and can only curl up in my chair for the day when it wears off. I wonder if it's dropping my sugar level and causing the headache since I do get migraines when my sugar fluctuates.

And I avoid giving it to my dogs because of the headache I get.
Posted by: Castlemaid

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 10:32 AM

Wonder if it would affect dogs the same way? Keeta is on Tamadol, having a hard time finding a painkiller that works for her.

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 04:38 PM

Would be interesting to know if it does.

Etta was spayed and had some dental work done at the beginning of November and she got sick, probably from the anesthesia, but as a precaution my vet also said to stop giving her the Tramadol since that could also bring on a reaction.

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 06:04 PM

Jazz appears to do well on tramadol, which is good, since I don't think her gut would tolerate nsaids, but I definitely keep a close watch and luckily I don't have to use it regularly right now, just in spurts.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 06:20 PM

Not sure Buddy would be here without tramadol. He is still on a relatively low dose for his size, but it has been increased twice over 6 months.

So far, it seems to be only helping him.

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 06:39 PM

Buddy wub
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 07:41 PM

He says, " Thanks! Here I am! "

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 09:00 PM

He has such a great smile!

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 12/14/14 09:23 PM

Awww Buddy wub

Tramadol is an interesting drug. If it works it seems to work well for what it was intended but in my case and from what I have seen in my dogs, it does not work. Mouse was given Tramadol after his hernia surgery and it made him anxious, so we switched him off that quickly, we tried again after his neuter and we had the same result so no more Tramadol for him. It was also prescribed for D but it did not seem to do anything for him, no relief from pain at all.
Posted by: Skywalker

Re: Tramadol and hypoglycemia - 01/10/15 07:50 PM

I take Tramadol, I have degenerative disc disease in several areas. Ive had one cervical spine fusion surgery. And the bulging disc in lumbar area will have to be addressed next, or cervical area, its an ongoing journey. My Dr. has blood tests run to keep in touch of side affects. Dogs are a different story unless you have that one great Vet who pays attention.
As for me no problems from that to date.