Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy

Posted by: Helios

Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/06/10 08:07 PM

Hello from venezuela! I'm new to this forum and just joined thanks to lisa cool

Im a proud owner of a 7MO GSD!

Back to the topic,I just found out that my puppy has Erhlichia.. frown ATM he's not with me, he's about to finish a 6 week BO training (but that's another story... paranoid2)

My trainer's personal vet had a bloodtest done on my puppy this wednesday and yesterday we were told the results & he came up positive for Ehrlichiosis just one +. Everything else seemed just fine. According to the trainer he hasn't shown any symptons thus far...

But I know that when he started the BO he lost appetite for a few days and also weigh but we didn't think of anything else but only that it was because he was staying in the trainer's house, & he's been running like a maniac there..

He had eczemas, we treated him and everything seemed okay and now this.. Im reading that sensitive skin and rash are one of the symptons..

My trainer did the bloodtest because he's about to finish his BO training and because he has a Bleeding Gum. I've been reading Lisa's Articles and one of them says that spontaneous bleeding is one of the Symptons.I don't really know if that'd be considered as spontaneous bleeding though. I've noticed it when I go there to play/work with him. And I've to add that according to the trainer it's not always bleeding one day it'll bleed & another won't though, I'm not 100% sure because he's not with me & who knows what's he's doing there.. whistling

We were told that we shouldn't worry that it's "very" common in such breeds and rottys.... smirk Although It's only one + she wanted to treat him for "20 days" smirk . She tells me that one of her dogs came up positive for it, also with one + and that the dog is okay.

We'll check him with our vet when he's done with his BO training(this wednesday). Im worry because I don't know how bad it is. He's being treated with doxiciclina, 100 mg per day.. He weighed 29KGS(64LB) when he was 6MO, he's 7MO now & no idea how much he weighs now..

I've been reading that the Dosage should be 3-5MG/LB and He's just getting 100MG. I also read on one of the articles that lisa has in her signature that it should be 5 to 10mg per day per Kg for 6 weeks and He's just being treated for 20 days..

The trainer's personal vet did a Full blood exam I don't have yet the results with me I just know that the results were fine. The trainer will give me the FBE this wednesday. But besides the fact that he has Ehrlichia he's just acting/being a crazy puppy..

- Just FYI He uses frontline and the Preventix Collar

I just can't wait to pick him up this wednesday... hammer
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/06/10 09:28 PM

I wish you a good result with the training, and a good relationship with your vet. I hope your vet will change his doxycycline to 6 weeks. You have a beautiful, handsome puppy! smile Welcome to the boards! May Wednesday come soon, and may your dog and you enjoy a happy reunion! Wishing for good treatment for your dog's ehrlichia.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/06/10 11:07 PM

Thanks Braverhund!.
I have to say that yes, there are good results with the training thus far smile Even when I first didnīt like the idea of the send-away training (I get to spend 1 day a week with him) smirk .... He gets to play with dogs of his size, the dogs have their own pool, lots of fun, etc etc itīs a nice place smile

The trainer is amazed by his BO, the BO with the trainer started when he was 6 MO and before I left him there I did train him by myself since he was 2MO until he started the BO with the trainer. Heīs a pretty smart puppy smile But yea my family sometimes forget that hes just being a PUPPY (Iīve to add that my family were the one that liked the idea of the send-away training smirk )

And Im so going to talk with the vet about changing the doxy to 6 weeks...

I just cant wait for this wednesday headbang
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/06/10 11:26 PM

welcome

Yes, I would treat with a higher dose for longer. Even when I treated my 33-lb'er, I gave her 100 mg twice per day.

I don't know what's available there, but a bit of Milk Thistle will help the liver during treatment. My favorite though is Liver Support Factors by Biochem/Country Life.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find Patti's thread when she treated Grimm.

So glad your trainer caught this early. Oh, by the way, the one + isn't a true and accurate measurement of the severity of the disease, if the Idexx SNAP test was used. But if the other blood panel was all good, that's a great indicator.

I always recommend getting a copy of the blood test, checking if there is anything at the low or high end or the normal ranges, particualy the RBC, platelets, monocytes and other blood counts. I know here, I've seen a lot of vets pronounce blood tests "normal" when they really weren't frown

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/06/10 11:38 PM

Thanks Lisa

I will compare the Liver support product you named to get an idea of what to look for in here.

Supposedly the blood panel was all good, the trainer was the one who called us when she got the results and thatīs what she told us. Weīll get the copy of the bloodtest this wednesday and Ill post it here. And what you said about vets pronouncing blood tests ĻnormalĻ is true.

Ill look into Pattiīs thread.

Thanks again

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/07/10 12:08 AM

I forgot to suggest that you give your dog a big spoonful of yogurt with each meal, or some probiotics (even better!) from the pharmacy. smile This helps a dog when they take antibiotics.

Lisa is a wonderful help for tick-borne diseases! smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/07/10 12:17 AM

Yes, the probiotics or yogurt or kefir are all good! (Best given 2 hours away from food.)

I had to buy Bird Biotic (doxy sold over the counter to treat birds) to treat my boy, I hope your vet (and Mom smile ) help you out with the correct dosage!
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/07/10 11:54 AM

Probiotics need to be give about 2 hours away from the Doxy. If scheduling dictated give Probiotics with food that is better than none at all.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/07/10 11:59 AM

My secret: I gave the probiotics right before bedtime. I think that may even have been Val's idea! smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/07/10 02:39 PM

Val and Patti, thanks for picking up on that - I meant to say at least two hours away from the *antibiotic* - eek!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/10/10 07:23 PM

Just wanted to update. We weren't able to pick him up today but we'll tomorrow morning. It's a 6 weeks BO training (42 days) and he started the BO on Thursday,September 30 but yet We spoke to the trainer the last week about picking him up one day before (today instead of tomorrow) and she said that it'd be okay. But yesterday she called us and told us to wait one more day as we've agreed before, she wanted to spend another day with him. So, tomorrow I'll post the the results of the bloodtest.

And thanks Braver,Val & Lisa for pointing that out hugging

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/12/10 12:25 PM

Ok turns out that the trainer was actually giving him 200mg of doxy 100 mg in the morning & 100mg at night. My bad, seems like I understood it wrong.
I got the results of the bloodtest with me, i'll post the results:

Hemoglobin...14,9 g/dl (12-18 g/dl)
Hematocrit.....45% (37-55%)
HCM.........33.1% (31-36%)
Leukocytes......11.200/mm3 (5.000-15.000/mm3)
Interus index......7.5 (7.5-20)

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis...75% 8.400/mm3 (3.000-11.500/mm3)
Segmental Eosinophil......1% 112/mm3 (100-1.000/mm3)
Segmental Basophils ......0% 0/mm3 (0-100/mm3)
Segmental lymphocytes......24% 2.688/mm3 (1.500-5.000/mm3)
Monocytes...............0% 0/mm3 (less than 2.000/mm3)

Platelets: 180.000/mm3 (150.000-500.000/mm3)

Ok then at the bottom it says 'frotis' which I think would be 'smear test' in english.

Red series: normocromica,normocitica. (I don't know how to translate that to english)
White series:normal
Platelets:presence of macroplatelets & reactive platelets

Ok i don't know if that made any sense..I just can't seem to find how to say it in english..

Thanks

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/12/10 02:21 PM

Great job getting all the information!

With Ehrlichia, what you look for first is abnormalities in the red blood cells and platelets, which is what you have. Often you'll see issues with monocytes, sometimes lymphocytes.I'm not sure I've *ever* seen monocytes at 0 - don't know what that means, might be the way the lab looks at it?

Macroplatelets I think are large platelets - I've been told those represent newer platelets, the body trying to produce new ones.

The stuff about the red blood cells, I always have to look up, but frankly, the bottom line is that they are not normal.

Since you are seeing abnormalities in the bloodwork, I would get to at least 5 mg/*kg* twice a day, preferably 7-ish. The aggressive dose is 10 mg/*kg* if it"s tolerated.

I would treat for 2-3 months, doing bloodwork (CBC and differential, what you have above) at about the 1 month mark.

Now, what I would do, and what a vet will do might be two different things...

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/16/10 03:46 PM

Thanks lisa!
I couldn't log in before thanks to the fact that my computer fried. We'll be leaving to the vet in a while & discuss everything, I also need to weigh him in order to change the dosage. He's about to be 8MO(this friday) . Thus far i haven't had any problems with the dosage he's been getting, in fact he eats the pills without any problem!
He's been gaining weigh perhaps thanks to the doxy or because hes home again.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/16/10 05:28 PM

I was wondering what happened to you!

Glad all is going well, do keep us updated thumbup

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/20/10 09:52 AM

We went to the vet. She checked him & told us that his weigh is okay that he seems to be underweight but that she expects him to be like that being 8MO and that it's better for him to be like that for his hips.
She also told us to give him probiotics and recommended me to not give him yogurt but instead just buy a probiotic (i don't recall why).
I told her that I read that I should inscrease the dosage and She explained me that the anamaplasmosis works in a sistematically way thus the bateria is not active yet & that
We're just treating for prevention and that we need to keep an eye on him, monthly bloodtests.

She recommended me to feed him in the morning before the Doxy at 9 AM & because I was making him wait to much time when feeding him which I never thot about.
I was feeding him at 1-2pm then 8pm and then i was making him wait till the next day at 2PM to eat again.

She also told me just like my trainer's vet that it's common in such breed.. that we shouldn't worry if we keep an eye on him.

And helios....well he seems wayyy more hyper I feel like he'll eat me if I don't tire him out.. fetch

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/20/10 03:06 PM

Yes, give doxy with meals, it is very hard on the stomach. Give probiotics separated by a good 2 hours from the doxy.

I think it took Patti's Grimm about 6 months with no treatment to start seeing the platelets start dropping. At least your vet will be monitoring bloodwork.

It is common in the breed, unfortunately.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/21/10 09:54 PM

Thanks Lisa.

I've one question tho I just noticed a doxy pill under his crate :o:o:o I'm not sure But I think It may be from this morning or who knows It may actually be an older one supposedly given my mom while im at college but that's not the point. I always give him the pill in the crate since it's black I'd notice him dropping the white pill..well seems like I didn't.After giving him the 9PM dosage I found the Pill.
Can be there any cons for not following the treatment every 12 hours?:s I'd look it up myself but my cellphone is being stupidly slow...

Thanks

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/21/10 10:06 PM

I think as a one-time thing, it's okay. In general, of course, not good. But one time shouldn't be a bad thing, just make sure that you give that pill at the end of the treatment too. I dip the pills in yogurt before I feed max to make sure he takes his. It's also important that they don't get stuck in the esophagus - they can cause ulcers if that happens.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 11/22/10 04:51 AM

Thanks Lisa! smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 12:38 PM

Hello! Just wanted to update since It's been a while, we took helios to the vet to do a bloodtest done and a stool sample since he had diarrhea, at first I didn't worry at all because he was eating like a maniac with tons of energy but still the diarrhea was there even though we were treating it (5 days and no changes) and although he was eating normally he wasn't gaining any weight (70pounds since 2 months ago, hes 9mo ATM). I started to read what may cause it and decided to take him to the vet turns out that it came positive with Ancylostoma (++) aka Hookworm.

The vet first prescribed him endogard when the stool sample came back ++ with hookworms and then later we got the bloodtest result:

Hemoglobin...14,6 g g/dl
Hematocrit.....43.8% (37-55%)

Erythrocytes...5.68
MCH............33.5
MCV............77.0
MCHC............25.8
Leukocytes......15.400/mm3
Platelets: 132.000

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis.......52% 8008
Segmental Eosinophil....11% 1694
Segmental lymphocytes......27% 4158
Monocytes............... 8% 1232

After the resuts she also prescribed him:

[*]endogard
[*]vi-sorbits
[*]proderm

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 02:37 PM

I know that severe hookworms can cause anemia and can be difficult to get rid of, I wish you success with them!

With your boy, I would also worry if any of this is a relapse or continuation of the Ehrlichia. That is also *very* likely.

Just for comparison purpose, here were the last blood counts in November:

---

The differential

Red series: normocromica,normocitica. (I don't know how to translate that to english)

---

I know that hookworms can cause anemia - I don't know if they can cause such low platelets?

If this is the ehrlichia, aggressive treatment will be required. After treating for the Hooks, I would run the blood again to see what happens - I sure hope that is all that is going on.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 02:51 PM

Thanks lisa I was about to post if you know any ways to raise platelets? the vet recommended us chicken's legs..i don't know if thats the proper translation to english but we just cannot seem to find it so we're looking forward to buy something else while we keep looking.

I discussed with my mom that It may be a relapse also. We already have a vet appt for January 23 to do another bloodtest and another stoolsample.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:04 PM

Platelets I believe are a bone marrow process - I don't know of any good ways off hand.

I'm glad you have the follow-up appointment. If you see any red spots on the skin of the stomach, or bleeding from the nose, that's a serious sign of low platelets. You probably won't see that unless the platelets drop below 100 or maybe 80. At 132, they aren't scarey low yet.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:05 PM

If I translate it to english it'd be "hen's leg" not chicken's leg..what the vet recommended us to raise the platelets. Im atm reading about low platelets and how to raise the platelets.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:07 PM

If you find a good way to raise them, let us know!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Platelets I believe are a bone marrow process - I don't know of any good ways off hand.

I'm glad you have the follow-up appointment. If you see any red spots on the skin of the stomach, or bleeding from the nose, that's a serious sign of low platelets. You probably won't see that unless the platelets drop below 100 or maybe 80. At 132, they aren't scarey low yet.

Ill keep and eye on him, thanks lisa. A few days ago he had a bleeding gum again but I don't know if that's related? since i was playing tug of war with him

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:12 PM

Sure! I plan on talking with my neighbor, she's a vet and so is her husband to see if they know how to raise them.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:14 PM

Vets here typically give prednisone to raise them. NO steroids until you try doxy again!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:28 PM

Vets here typically give prednisone to raise them. NO steroids until you try doxy again!

Thanks lisa

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/04/11 03:42 PM

A B-12 deficiency can cause low blood counts and platelets from what I've read - I've never seen someone try B-12 to boost the platelets, so I don't know how well it would work.

Low B-12 does occur with SIBO, common in GSDs.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 07:16 PM

Lisa, we were so into Helios and turns out that Our Yorkshire also has Ehrlichiosis, his platelets are really LOW (25). We went there because he was lethargic, we were told it was colitis and then that it may be thanks to a poison, but turns out that He has Ehrlichiosis and the UREA is really high (132) though the creatinine is okay; The ALT is also high and so is the AST...

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 07:39 PM

Oops forgot to add that helios's vet app is on January 24 thumbup

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 08:22 PM

I saw that post briefly this morning, I was thinking either ehrlichia or radiator poisoning. The ehrlichia makes sense.

Do you have your Yorkie on liver support? Is he home or at the hospital? Are the vets using doxy only, or doxy and pred?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 09:03 PM

He's at the hospital, not sure when he'll back home, the vet told us to wait till tomorrow morning. And nope, he's not on liver support (he'll be as soon as we get him), everything happened so fast, he's been at the hospital since this morning. We were told they'd treat with antibiotics, she named penicillin, I told her if they were going to treat him with Doxy and what dose, she told me that They'd first focus on hydrate (sp?) him, treat with antibiotics and vitamins..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 09:16 PM

Egads, Penicillin (as you know!) has absolutely no action against ehrlichia - they are going to kill your dog if they don't get themselves straightened out. IV doxycyline/tetracycline, and/or then send them home with the oral stuff - yes, you know that, why doesn't this vet????

If the platelet count doesn't come up after the doxy is used, you will have to add a different medication, but hopefully they will start using the right antibiotic immediately!!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 10:09 PM

Egads, Penicillin (as you know!) has absolutely no action against ehrlichia - they are going to kill your dog if they don't get themselves straightened out. IV doxycyline/tetracycline, and/or then send them home with the oral stuff - yes, you know that, why doesn't this vet????

If the platelet count doesn't come up after the doxy is used, you will have to add a different medication, but hopefully they will start using the right antibiotic immediately!!

Thanks lisa!! I don't think i can do much right now, tomorrow morning we'll be heading there and if the vet still shows no interest on the doxy I will just take him out of there and start the dose, my yorkshire's weight is 5.5lb so the dose supposedly should be 28g twice a day, right? (not sure)

So.. every sympton/result is thanks to the Erchlichiosis? From what I've read he's in the "chronic stage"..which means he has had it for a while and we didn't even notice...

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 11:24 PM

Ehrlichia is called The Silent Killer for a reason, often you don't know until "this" happens. The good thing is that you got a diagnosis. Often vets won't have tick disease on their radar, and they will start treating for something else. So kudos to your vet for getting the diagnosis.

The aggressive dosage is 10 mg/kg (5 mg/lb roughly), but with increased liver enzymes, you might have to do the reduced dosage of about 6 or 7 mg/kg (3 mg/lb roughly). So for 5.5 lb, I would dose between 16 and 28 mg twice a day. The higher dose in that range, absolutely the better....depends on how his digestive system holds out.

For liver support, Milk Thistle is the standard herb used. This is my favorite product: http://www.iherb.com/country-life-biochem-liver-support-factors-100-tablets/1670?at=0 Looks like it takes a couple weeks to ship to Brazil, and $4 (US dollars) for shipping. Might be worth using the Milk Thistle for now and the other for long term?

So glad that the doxy is easily available over there!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 11:34 PM

Now I understand why they gave it that name.. Ok so 16 and 28 mg twice a day. His tummy is pretty delicate, it's always been so what if I start with 16 and slightly increase it and see how he handles it?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/11/11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Helios
.... His tummy is pretty delicate, it's always been so what if I start with 16 and slightly increase it and see how he handles it?

That would work. If you start high and go low, it's harder for the dog once their stomach is already upset. You might also stay low for a week or two until the liver support kicks in. You'll have to see how the digestive system holds up. With the platelets so low, it's very concerning.

Watch the stomach for red blotches (bleeding) and pale gums.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 08:47 AM

Lisa, they just called me, they told me he died...
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 10:01 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 10:03 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 11:36 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. hugging This must be a horrible shock. I am hoping that the warm memories of your love will help get you through the pain of loss. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your dear dog. I am wishing you strength right now.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 12:54 PM

teary I am so very sorry. The little guy was very very very sick. This dreaded disease has claimed the lives of so many dogs, it is so not fair. hugging
Posted by: Sylv

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 02:08 PM

I am so sorry!
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 02:37 PM

I'm so very sorry.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 06:06 PM

Thanks everyone..We first decided to cremate him and keep the ashes but the vet told me that there would be a slightly chance for us to keep the ashes and that he wouldn't be cremated right away..

We changed our minds and decided to bury him in our breeder's house..It was a quite a day...

When I saw him he seemed like he was sleeping, this is unbelievable, everything happened so fast frown

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 06:19 PM

It is such a mental and emotional shock when it is so sudden frown

How close was helios to your Yorkie?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 06:39 PM

It is such a mental and emotional shock when it is so sudden frown

How close was helios to your Yorkie?

It is, I was the one who got the call, they were asking for my mom, and when they told me that, he had died, I felt nothing for a few seconds I just said "okay, I'll let her know" when I hung up, I was back in the reality, I had to tell my sister and call my parents because they had left to buy something and then they were going to me pick me up to go to the vet to see him..

It was in fact an emotional shock for my sister, she's deaf so yesterday she didn't hear how serious it was but I had hopes and didn't tell her everything..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 06:43 PM

Helios wasn't really close to him, but Jessie was really close to my 9YO pekingese and so was she. When We got jessie this morning we went to pick up helios so that he could come with us to Jessie's breeder and as soon as he got in the car I saw him fetching, looking for that "smell" (Jessie)..

And this morning while I was waiting for the vet I saw this Yorkshire that really looked like him.. frown

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 07:02 PM

It's going to be really difficult for awhile I would predict, shock and grief for both human and canine. Even worse when you consider the vet's stand on this since it shakes your confidence in so many things.

Are you going to have your pekingese tested now? I can see how the little dogs, being together longer and also being more similar, would be so bonded.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 07:17 PM

Yes we're going to have both of them tested, we've 2 9YO pekingese and the male was already treated with doxy 1-2 years ago, we've always kept an eye on him since he went through chemo thanks to Cancer.. He has lived 2-3 years since then smile I remember this vet who said he Wouldn't make it, that he had no chance, and yet he's still here, with us.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/12/11 10:44 PM

Wow, you have your hands full!

Sounds like a strong little guy, what kind of cancer?
Posted by: bianca

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 07:16 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss hugging

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 12:27 PM

Thanks Bianca; Lisa, It was testicular cancer.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 12:51 PM

Thanks Helios. With all the tick disease around, I was a bit curious if it was something like lymphoma, since they seem to be related.

Nice to hear he made it through the chemo. So long ago smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 01:51 PM

Ahh, I see smile. Np smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 06:45 PM

WTH lisa.. My mom is ATM with my dad at the clinic (nothing serious) and she showed jessie's results to my dad's doctor and she sent me a text saying that the doctor told her that basing on the the results, it shows that he had lepto's disease.

Okay, If I Recall, everything started this saturday when he was seriously fetching a Rat under our car ( He only goes nuts fetching when It's a rat), I started the thread in the other forum thinking that perhaps he drank soil BUT what If It was contaminated with urine??

I just read that it may result in chronic liver and kidney disease.

"During the first 4-12 days following infection with Leptospira, the dog may experience sudden symptoms of fever (103-105oF), depression, vomiting, loss of appetite, conjunctivitis, and generalized pain. Within 2 days of the onset of these primary symptoms, body temperature may drop suddenly and there may be a noticeable increase in thirst. A definite change in the color of the dog's urine and/or jaundice (icterus) is often noticed and may be the only indication of disease. Color intensity of the urine may vary from lemon to deep orange. Additionally, frequent urination and subsequent dehydration (uremia) are consistent with invasion of the kidney tubule cells by the Leptospira organism and usually present within a few days of the primary symptoms. In advanced cases of infection, profound depression, difficulty breathing, muscular tremors, bloody vomitus and feces are often observed as the infection progresses to include the liver, gastrointestinal system and other organs. Course and severity of the disease is often dependent upon the serovar responsible for the infection. Serovars associated with liver infection and symptoms of urine discoloration and/or jaundice (icterus), elevation of liver enzymes, and gastrointestinal symptoms include L. icterohaemorrhagiae and grippotyphosa. The serovar grippotyphosa is also associated with symptoms of renal failure as is the serovar pomona."

The past sunday he was fine, kind of OFF that night but didn't think it was something serious because we went for a walk with helios and he seemed to be fine, he even ate that night. Monday he was definitely not okay, he didn't want to walk, he didn't want to eat that's when we took him to the vet and the vet thot it was colitis, that night he vomited a meal (saturday's meal we believed) then tuesday he vomited again when we were about to leave to the clinic to do the bloodtest done, when we got there his body temperature droppred and the vet told us to leave him there to hydrate him..

What If it was Lepto??:S

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/13/11 06:49 PM

and the fact that he also had anaplasmosis?..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/14/11 12:43 AM

A few thoughts....

It certainly is possible that there was lepto from the information that you posted. There isn't a way to rule it out at this point. Lepto is treated with either penicillin or doxycycline, so if it was lepto, the right antibiotic was used.

However, there have been many times on the tick list and the forums that I have seen this exact same thing occur with anaplasmosis/ehrlichia.

I guess a factor that tips it toward lepto is the rat issue. Most of the lepto here will have increased kidney values, but from what you wrote, sometimes it can be only liver values that are the issue.

I also would question whether this doctor has any experience with anaplasmosis/ehrlichia. Many vets don't have much experience and I suspect that doctors much much less.

The rat issue....that complicates things. It sounds like one of those things that you will never know, and that is difficult frown And maybe you're right, having the anaplasmosa, made it impossible for him to fight possible lepto.

I just don't know Helios....

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/14/11 09:43 AM

And yes, like you said many vets don't have much experience and doctors well.. much much less experience. But when the nephrologist saw the results he said that It was lepto,I won't really find out actually and neither will I base a diagnosis thanks to what the doctor said but since everything started this past saturday, when he was fetching that rat, I thot..hey..what if it was actually lepto?.

Thanks Lisa hugging

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/14/11 10:25 AM

Well. You just taught me a bunch of stuff about lepto that I didn't know, that it can present like chronic ehrlichia, including the platelets.

It's nice to have the closure of knowing why they died, but it sure doesn't take away the loneliness that they leave behind frown
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/14/11 11:18 AM

Helios,

I am just now seeing this. So sorry for your loss. hugging

We have a lot of rats in my neighborhood and several dogs have died, very quickly, from lepto. I agree that the combo of the two diseases would have been deadly.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/24/11 08:22 PM

Thanks bow smile

We went to the vet, he's done with the ancylostomas, we got rid of them thumbup

And the results this time were:

Hemoglobin...15.5 g g/dl
Hematocrit.....46.5% (37-55%)
Erythrocytes...6.63
MCH............33.3
MCV............73.2
MCHC............23.3
Leukocytes......20100/mm3
Platelets: 149.000

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis.......54% 10854
Segmental Eosinophil.... 2% 402
Segmental lymphocytes......38% 7638
Monocytes............... 6% 1206

Quote:

Last results:

Hemoglobin...14,6 g g/dl
Erythrocytes...5.68
MCH............33.5
MCV............77.0
MCHC............25.8

The differential

We'll be going again the next month..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/25/11 02:36 AM

Definitely better red blood cell and platelet numbers smile

Still some issues with the white blood cell counts.

Has he been on doxy?

Normal values from before:
Hemoglobin...(12-18 g/dl)
Hematocrit.....(37-55%)
HCM.........(31-36%)
Leukocytes......(5.000-15.000/mm3)

Segmental Neutrophis...(3.000-11.500/mm3)
Segmental Eosinophil......(100-1.000/mm3)
Segmental Basophils ......(0-100/mm3)
Segmental lymphocytes......(1.500-5.000/mm3)
Monocytes...............(less than 2.000/mm3)
Platelets: (150.000-500.000/mm3)

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/26/11 07:56 PM

No since the last time, we were planing on giving him the next month since he's having too many medicines (sp?),5 ATM, maybe I should already start giving him the doxy?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 03:58 AM

Impressive that the platelets are getting better without the doxy, but the neutrophils and lymphocytes are rising, and it looks like one is high.

Which medications is he on?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 10:01 AM

vi-sorbits
promotor (vitamin+amino acids)
proderm
Artrin
Vit C

And he finished another one not too long ago. Though the Vit C and the Arthrin (Before Arthrin I was giving him Gluco+Chondroitin from Spring Valley) is something I plan to give him daily..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 10:06 AM

We are suppose to give him those meds that I mentioned for 1 month and then do another bloodtest, though I believe that the vet isn't planning on giving him Doxy, she actually never mentioned that, I was planning on doing it after he's done with those meds

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 11:09 AM

I don't understand the proderm? Is that to put on top of a sore?

The other supplements are either anti-inflammatory or joint or nutrient. They do seem to be helping his blood marrow create blood cells and platelets. However, the white blood cells are creeping up because there is nothing that is attacking the actual infection.

Is this the same vet that gave penicillin to Jessie in spite of a positive for anaplasmosa? Might be that the vet doesn't understand how serious this infection can be, or maybe you have a new strain around that is more deadly than those she is used to.

You could wait and see what happens on the next test, whether those white blood cell values are going up because the body is fighting it off, since the platelets and RBC are going up. However, if the body isn't fighting it off, then the infection is going deeper.

Is he losing any weight or muscle? Getting a skinny, thin head/skull?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 12:09 PM

Thinking some more here, can't go by lower white blood cells (neutrophils, etc) since they become depressed in the chronic disease state, have to go by the platelets and also elevation only of blood counts.

Because the chronic disease state is so difficult to treat, can completely sneak up on you, and can affect other organs like liver and heart, I would treat aggressively. I would understand maybe wanting to wait and see after the next blood test.

I would like to think that the body can fight this off, but helios is just getting past the acute stage. There is a sub-clinical and then chronic stage that comes after that in many dogs that are left untreated. That's how suddenly dogs seem fine, but then have a platelet count of something like 25 and die suddenly. It's that chronic deadly stage to keep your eye on during all steps of this process. So any dog battling this disease, particularly if not on abx, will have to have regulare lifetime monitoring of those blood counts.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 04:42 PM

I don't understand the proderm? Is that to put on top of a sore?

The other supplements are either anti-inflammatory or joint or nutrient. They do seem to be helping his blood marrow create blood cells and platelets. However, the white blood cells are creeping up because there is nothing that is attacking the actual infection.

Is this the same vet that gave penicillin to Jessie in spite of a positive for anaplasmosa? Might be that the vet doesn't understand how serious this infection can be, or maybe you have a new strain around that is more deadly than those she is used to.

You could wait and see what happens on the next test, whether those white blood cell values are going up because the body is fighting it off, since the platelets and RBC are going up. However, if the body isn't fighting it off, then the infection is going deeper.

Is he losing any weight or muscle? Getting a skinny, thin head/skull?

THANKS Lisa.What you just said makes sense.. I didn't actually notice that,I only saw that the platelets improved. It's not the same vet though and she never mentioned anything related to what you just said so i won't really rely on that vet.

I will start treating him with doxy soon, I have to buy it first tho. I rather treat it and then see how it goes on the next test.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 06:06 PM

And he hasn't lost any weight or muscle tho he's always been "kinda" skinny since we found out he had anaplasmosis, I remember him being 70 pounds when he was 7 MO and this past Monday his weigh was 70.4 pounds (3months later)

Oh and btw the proderm we're giving him is for his skin

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/27/11 10:23 PM

What is wrong with his skin? I wonder if the skin will get better once doxy is started, it's possible.

In 3 months, I would think that a young dog his age would gain some weight? Maybe something someone in the puppy forums could answer?

I notice you have a new picture in your avatar, he's a handsome boy smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/28/11 03:27 PM

LOL i'll "translate" but it says it's for " keeping in perfect condition the skin and hair" it's mostly Lipotropic Polyvitaminic with Omega 6 and 3.

That's what I think too.. 3months and he never gained some weight, NOTHING.. just this past month after being treated thanks to the worms

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 12:08 AM

I wonder if the worm treatment is why his eosinophils went down.

The worms could certainly prevent hi from gaining weight too. Poor boy!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 08:32 PM

Lisa just wanted to update, I've started treating helios with Doxy again, Hoping to see improvements for the next blood test smile. And I don't really know if it was thanks to the worm that he wasn't gaining weight but I do remember the Vet saying that and I also noticed that just after we started treating it he gained .4.

It's not like he's really skinny but yes he needs some weight

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:19 PM

It will be very interested to see how the numbers change after being on doxy. You're doing a great job in caring for him and getting him straightened out!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:32 PM

Thanks lisa, You've really helped me too :)I don't think I'd be on the right track without you.

BTW, have you ever heard about an injection for Anaplasmosis? My mom told me today that our neighbor (the vet) told her that after treating with doxy it'd be good to give him XXXX(it's an injection) my mom doesn't remember the name though... (She believes it's eufa-something)

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:37 PM

Thus far I've only found this drug "Imidocarb (Imizol)" which is an anti-protozoal agent administered by injection either subcutaneously or intramuscularly my mom says that it's not the same name though.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:37 PM

I'm happy I can help. Unfortunately, it seems so many don't understand how insidious this disease can be.

I'd be curious about the injection, I've never heard of it. If you learn more about it, I'd definitely love to hear!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:38 PM

Imizol is used for Babesia and stubborn cases of ehrlichia.

Since the vet wanted to use this *after* doxy, I'm wondering if it's some sort of probiotic?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:40 PM

I read about Imidocab in this site: http://www.vetinfo.com/treating-canine-ehrlichiosis-with-imidocarb-imizol.html

Though My mom says that's not the name of the drug that our neighbor mentioned.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/29/11 09:49 PM

Since the vet wanted to use this *after* doxy, I'm wondering if it's some sort of probiotic?

Don't really know, my mom got tired of me because I was always discussing with her the fact that helios needed to be treated with doxy whistling and that's when she spoke to our neighbor and heard about the injection.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/30/11 09:23 PM

Lisa it was indeed Imizol whistling from eufa-xxx to Imizol, no idea where that came from haha laugh

I started giving him 100mg twice a day since he was fine with that dosage today I increased it to 150mg twice a day, Ill see if he's fine with it smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 01/30/11 09:53 PM

eufa-xxx to Imizol, that's kinda funny! Maybe it loses something in the translation?!?!

I'm glad that he is tolerating the doxy!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/26/11 10:48 AM

Lisa we did a bloodtest yesterday, this were the results (2/24/11):

Quote:
Hemoglobin...16.7 g g/dl
Hematocrit.....52% (37-55%)
MCH............32.1% (33-37%)
Icterus Index...5 (5-15)
Leukocytes......10.400/mm3
Erythrocytes.....5.7

Platelets: 200.000

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis.......71% 7.384 (3000-11.500)
Segmental lymphocytes......23% 2392
Monocytes............... 0%
Segmental Eosinophil.... 6% 624

ETA: The vet mentioned that he's infested with parasites..He's being treated AGAIN.. frown

results were (1/24/2011):

Hemoglobin...15.5 g g/dl
Erythrocytes...6.63
MCH............33.3
MCV............73.2
MCHC............23.3

The differential

Last results (1/4/2011):

Hemoglobin...14,6 g g/dl
Erythrocytes...5.68
MCH............33.5
MCV............77.0
MCHC............25.8

The differential

First Results (11/2010):

The differential

Ok then at the bottom it says 'frotis' which I think would be 'smear test' in english.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/26/11 07:47 PM

I hope you don't mind that I inserted the first blood test in your post, so we have everything together.

The bloodwork looks MUCH better. I think the abnormalities that you keep seeing are a combination of the parasites and also the ehrlichia. It's really nice to see those platelets at such a healthy number, no abnormalities in the red blood cells, and the white blood cells don't seem to be rising any more.

I sure hope you can get those parasites completely eliminated, must be awfully uncomfortable for him too! Do you have a plan for the doxy?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/26/11 10:11 PM

Ah! DW, I don't mind at all smile Plus more organized. And yes, the vet mentioned that the abnormalities are thanks to the parasites, and I was amazed on how the platelets went from 149 to 200.

The vet(Another vet btw, we went with our neighbors this time.. lol) also mentioned that he believes that he's lots of parasites thanks to the field that I take him to (In my block), he says too many animals go there..even our little dogs are infested, the three of them are being treated. The vet wants me to give helios daily pills of B-Complex for a while (same with the two 8YO pekingeses). The vet didn't say anything at all about the doxy though I stopped giving him the doxy day before yesterday because i needed to restock and since I was going to do a bloodtest yesterday I wanted to wait for the results, but now that I know the results, should I keep giving him the doxy for a little longer? I have no plan for the doxy ATM...

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/27/11 06:07 AM

For ehrlichia, I would treat for 2-3 months; I don't think you've done that yet? I think that the platelets went up because of the doxy. The vitamins are a good idea.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/27/11 06:42 AM

Thanks lisa. and I meant that I was amazed by the doxy this time, the platelets went from 149 to 200. I also bought a B-Complex which I'll start giving today.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/27/11 04:33 PM

I wasn't sure, glad you clarified, since I think(?) Your vet seemed to imply it was all the parasites.

Sure hope eventually he won't need the doxy - treat aggressively now to kick the tick stuff completely out of the system. He's lucky to have you!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 03/04/11 09:55 PM

-Thanks lisa..BTW..My mom arrived yesterday with a 2MO yorkshire terrier...I was shocked.... she didn't even mention a thing. I never thot she'd get a puppy, not without mentioning it to me LOL! but she got me..

-Otto (the yorkie) and helios are getting along just fine, helios is always paying attention to otto when he's up to something.. from time to time helios will try to paw Otto to make him play (actually he has only done it once today and I redirected him quickly!). I'm so proud of helios, he has never been with such a small dog ! Though they're always supervised, and I always make sure that helios is tired/exercised before leaving him loose with otto (but yet supervised..you know anything can happen and since otto is really small..better safe than sorry).

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 03/04/11 10:14 PM

That's Otto.. that's supposedly the basket where he was going to sleep in *mom's idea*..yea right..He's climbing it.. so PLAN B, he's sleeping in helios's crate.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 03/05/11 12:25 AM

Oh my goodness, what a surprise! He's very cute smile

I can see how the basket is more fun to play in than to sleep!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 04/15/11 06:33 PM

-Quick Update Lisa, Haven't done any bloodtest yet, plan on doing one next month. Though we went yesterday to the vet to check his weight since I can see that he has filled up and supposedly his weigh is 66pounds now (30kg, I did it twice, and twice he appeared to be 30kg)...He was 70.4 pounds on 1/27/2011 thinking (basing on my post that date)... So No idea what's wrong, either the machine or him..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 04/16/11 05:31 AM

My vet always told me not to trust their scale since there was some variation - maybe there is something similar?

If he is looking good, and feels good as you run your hands along the side, hopefully this is just a minor variation. I think you know how he looks when he starts losing weight from being sick?

Also, I know that Max was also lean when he was young, and just could not keep weight on until he got much older....

I will just hope that all is still good and keep my fingers crossed for the blood test next month!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 04/16/11 10:56 AM

That's what I think too, it has to be the scale, since he's filled up a little more, I can see that. Yes, He's looking good and I know when he looks sick and starts losing weight thanks to it. I'll wait for the next bloodtest to check his weigh again.

And thanks Lisa smile

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 04/16/11 12:22 PM

You're welcome!

Helios is looking pretty handsome in that new avatar - we have to keep him as healthy as possible!

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/07/12 05:00 PM

Okay, It has been a while since I have updated. Heliosīs platelets went down again -127 ATM- Yesterday I did a Bloodtest and today I got the results. I am planning on reading every page of this thread to compare notes/dosages and results. I am starting him on Doxy (200mg every 12 hours). Iīll post in a while the results...
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/07/12 05:38 PM

Sandra, I hate tick diseases:( they are so hard if not impossible to really get rid of, and honestly I don't think they ever really go away:(

My doxy dosage is 5mgs per body weight every 12 hours, (twice a day) Make sure you give with food it can sometimes upset their stomaches..

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/08/12 06:04 AM

Last results (02/08/2011):

Hemoglobin...22.0 g g/dl
Hematocrit.....62% (37-55%)
MCH............35.1% (33-38%)
MCV............70.0 fl (60-75 fl)
Icterus Index...5 (5-15)
Leukocytes......12.400/mm3 (6.0-17)
Erythrocytes.....8.78 (5.50-8.50)

Platelets: 127.000

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis.......62% 7688 (3000-11.000)
Segmental lymphocytes......28% 3472 (1000-4800)
Monocytes............... 4% 496 (150-2000)
Segmental Eosinophil.... 6% 744 (100-1250)

Quote:

results (2/24/2011):
Hemoglobin...16.7 g g/dl
Hematocrit.....52% (37-55%)
MCH............32.1% (33-37%)
Icterus Index...5 (5-15)
Leukocytes......10.400/mm3
Erythrocytes.....5.7

Platelets: 200.000

The differential

Segmental Neutrophis.......71% 7.384 (3000-11.500)
Segmental lymphocytes......23% 2392
Monocytes............... 0%
Segmental Eosinophil.... 6% 624

results were (1/24/2011):

Hemoglobin...15.5 g g/dl
Erythrocytes...6.63
MCH............33.3
MCV............73.2
MCHC............23.3

The differential

results (1/4/2011):

Hemoglobin...14,6 g g/dl
Erythrocytes...5.68
MCH............33.5
MCV............77.0
MCHC............25.8

The differential

First Results (11/2010):

The differential

Red series: normocromica,normocitica.

[/quote][u][/u]

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/08/12 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OA
Sandra, I hate tick diseases:( they are so hard if not impossible to really get rid of, and honestly I don't think they ever really go away:(

My doxy dosage is 5mgs per body weight every 12 hours, (twice a day) Make sure you give with food it can sometimes upset their stomaches..

Thanks frown At the moment I am giving him 200 mg every 12 hours (31 KG) and Yes, I will give it with food.

Another thing I just noticed: He weighed 29KGS(64LB) when he was 6MO, Heīs now 22 MO and he weighed 31 KG.... thinking he stopped gaining weight since the Erchliquia, or thatīs what I have noticed.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/11/12 04:58 PM

Sandra, I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with this beast - I had hoped that Helios wouldn't continue to have problems, though I was afraid that he would. GSDs are so very susceptible to the chronic form of this disease.

There is an "ehrlichia" look to a dog - the head loses muscle mass, it gets a bit sunken, they do not gain weight. However, sometimes you will also see this with EPI, pancreatic insufficiency, so, in a young dog, you might have both, or one of the other. Then, there are always those secondary infections, like SIBO, that might be affecting the weight.

The aggressive dose is 10mg/kg twice a day. So, 300 mg twice a day, for 6-8 weeks. In the chronic form, I don't know what the answers are.

I don't know if you noticed, but I just lost my boy, so I'm not thinking real well - the most frustrating thing is that the blood counts show that there is not a response mounting, as the platelets continue to fall.

Were there any comments on the lab report about the low platelets at all, or the shape or size of the red blood cells? Since you didn't type any, I'm thinking not.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 02/16/12 01:15 PM

How is Helios?

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 06/21/12 11:36 PM

Lisa, I didnīt notice since I havenīt been on very much but I am so sorry for your loss.. cry

imsorry for replying this late, itīs been a while, 4 months actually. And Helios, he is doing fine at the moment... Iīve been so busy lately that I havent had time to log on and check my post.

grouphug hugs for you, how are you doing now? frown

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 06/22/12 02:27 AM

Sandra, good to hear from you, and so relieved to hear that Helios is currently doing well, you've done a good job with him!

Thank you for asking, I am adjusting. I have a new pup now, small breed. Loss is hard.

HOw long has Helios been off the doxy? How much does he weigh now.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 06/27/12 08:20 PM

I imagine hugging

3 months if I remember correctly. How much he weighs I donīt know yet, I have to take him to the vet to check his weigh smile Iīll update then.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 07/09/12 09:40 PM

Update on his weigh: 32kg...

I took him today to the vet to vaccinate him and took the opportunity to weigh him.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 07/10/12 03:07 PM

There is a puppy weight thread around here somewhere, but I think they are too young for you to compare Helios with? That skinny look, also in the head, is pretty common with tick disease frown

What vaccination(s) was given? Be on the alert for a flair up of his disease. Hopefully you won't see it, but it's pretty common for vaccines to trigger relapse.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 01:17 PM

Hey Lisa! It's been a while since I've checked germanshepherds.com's forum; today I did and while I was doing it I remembered the thread I made about Jessie (my yorkshire, it's been almost 3 years since his lost gsdhalo ) and Helio's thread about his Ehrlichiosis on both forums eek I want to thank you again for your support during that time hugging eek

And, I too, wanted to say that Helios is doing fine, he's 3 YO and weighing 35kg. Here are some pics of him that I wanted to share with you:

After bath eek

Mountain! laugh

And this is Otto, I don't know if you remember him, he was brought home after Jessie's lost. I posted pics of him by that time in here and he was just 2mo, he is now 2 YO.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 03:00 PM

Sandra, I'm so glad that you checked in!!! I sometimes think about you and Helios and hope that he is still doing well. I know that you always have to be on guard for relapses, but he I looking great!! I love the pics and how happy and content he looks smile

Otto ure has grown too. I remember losing Jessie frown . Otto looks like he is doing great too!

You guys have bave been through a lot - thanks so much for being such a great advocate for your dogs.

We love pictures, and these are great! Handome Helios and Otto wub

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 03:02 PM

(P.s. One thing that has changed here is that my keyboard often doesn't write the "s", so reading where my s's are supposed to go can be a challenge wink )

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 04:37 PM

I'm glad too! happyboogie I've tho too about you too! A few weeks ago I started thinking about reupdating this account since I forgot my PW and today was finally the day bump

He's doing well and YES! talking about "relapse" I forgot to mention that we're planning on taking them all this week or next week to the vet for a bloodtest eek since it's been a few months since the last one smile

Thanks lisa for your kind words! hugging angel

More pics of Helios!

My Co-pilot! rofl

Sandra, I'm so glad that you checked in!!! I sometimes think about you and Helios and hope that he is still doing well. I know that you always have to be on guard for relapses, but he I looking great!! I love the pics and how happy and content he looks smile

Otto ure has grown too. I remember losing Jessie frown . Otto looks like he is doing great too!

You guys have bave been through a lot - thanks so much for being such a great advocate for your dogs.

We love pictures, and these are great! Handome Helios and Otto wub

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 04:39 PM

Don't worry! rofl2 rofl

(P.s. One thing that has changed here is that my keyboard often doesn't write the "s", so reading where my s's are supposed to go can be a challenge wink )

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/06/13 05:23 PM

I hope that the blood tests show absolutely nothing abnormal crossedfingers

I love the energy of helios, he looks happy, and like he probably has a pretty good ense of humor wub Love all his expressions, but the one in that second pic is pretty priceless.

Re: Ehrlichiosis on my 7mo Puppy - 10/07/13 11:18 PM

I hope that the blood tests show absolutely nothing abnormal crossedfingers

I love the energy of helios, he looks happy, and like he probably has a pretty good ense of humor wub Love all his expressions, but the one in that second pic is pretty priceless.

Thanks Lisa! He def has a good sense of humor eek We took them to the vet today, tomorrow we are getting the results.

OT: ŋDo you have any experience about using acupuncture on dogs? especially anxious dogs that are easily excited or reactive.

It's about Helios, I'm planning on opening a new thread about this to read people's experience.

Helios Jabbers, YAMMERS when he wants or is not allowed to do something; when he sees something that he wants or likes; he has improved a lot with the training but he's still pushy...he has been like that since a puppy. He gets distracted so easily sometimes.

New situations will also trigger that behavior. If he sees dogs playing while on leash I will tell him to sit and he will do so and thats when the yammering starts...... he was a nervous pup and I believe it has something to do with it. My vets practice acupuncture on dogs and people. They've known Helios since he was little and they were telling me that it could really help him get some emotional balance ....that's mainly his problem; for example: the doorbells rings, he starts to bark and thats when I tell him to sit and he obeys and BOOM! The yammering/screaming starts, instead of barking he SCREAMS...Sometimes I feel like people will think that I'm "abusing" him rofl

They also said that we could try on him bach flowers remedies...I'm planning on researching first before making a decision help