what could this be?

Posted by: ozzy

what could this be? - 01/19/11 12:23 PM

This has been on Ozzy's left leg for a few months. At first it looked like a hot spot to me but it's not healing and is swollen. He doesn't act as if it bothers him to walk or run. He does lick it and with all the snow we've had lately the wetness causes it to bleed. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 12:24 PM

Vet...as soon as possible. That could be anything and needs to be removed and biopsied.
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 12:26 PM

Lick granuloma?

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2085&aid=2304

http://www.lbah.com/canine/ald.htm

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 12:44 PM

Thank you. I looked at the links and it looks ecactly like his spot. He has never had issues of licking but he does with this. I will call his vet and make appt. and post the results...Thanks again
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 01:05 PM

I would have it Vet checked but I think Lick granuloma also.

DeeDee had one on her leg and it took forever to heal up even after I got her to stop licking which I had to do by wrapping her leg.

This is one of those cycle things, it itches so they lick it, which makes it itch more, more licking, more itching. The licking brings fluid and blood closer to the surface, so that is the swelling. So the first thing you have to do is to stop ALL licking.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 01:14 PM

I thought it was interesting all the different causes of the granulomas - I did not realize it. So important to find out why and then go from there.

I had a foster who had one - I also had to e-collar and wrap him up because of that cycle. I have eczema on my fingers and totally understand - sometimes I will wake up from itching it in the night, in my sleep.

The thing that worked for him was the steroid creme - you had to put it on with a q-tip so it didn't touch your fingers - so whatever it type it was, it responded to that.

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 01:20 PM

I know that any advice isn't a replacement for vet care but if possible i would rather try stopping the licking by wrapping to see if that is a possibility. Financially im a bit strapped but if vet care is needed i can work that out. Could you tell my what you used to wrap and how to keep him from getting the wrap off?

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 01:34 PM

You're better off putting an e-collar on him than a wrap. Wraps can be to tight and cause problems. The dog bite them off, they slip down.

It probably is a lick granuloma but I don't screw around with lumps and bumps.

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 02:45 PM

Are you talking about an elizabethan collar? I know what it is but i've never used one so im not sure what to look for. Advice on the collar would be helpful. Thanks

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:06 PM

I looked up different types of collars and saw one called the comfy cone. Anyone have experience with that type of elizabethan collar? I almost think it may be too bendable...I just don't know
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:08 PM

Do you have a regular vet you see?

If not, I can send this to a couple of rescue people to see if they know anyone (need more specific location) in your area who might be able to see your dog.

The size of it, it won't go away without meds, is my guess.

You need a hard plastic one that he can't get around.

let me know! You can PM if you want!

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:12 PM

this is the comfy cone

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:27 PM

I do have a vet but i've been out of work for 8 months due to a foot surgery so i really can't afford a huge expense now. I feel horrible for letting it go this long and that's basically the reason I joined the forum to try and get some advice. It seems everyone agrees that he needs to be seen so if help is a possibility that would be extremely appreciated.
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:35 PM

One low cost option to keep in mind is that if you see a vet and they decide a med like antibiotics is needed you can get a script and check to see if it is on the free antibiotic list at publix or walmart. A lot of the common ones are and I have done this for one of my dogs before. Can't beat free.

I think the comfy cone would work- it just need to keep access away from the wound which in the pics it appears to do. Or a see through plastic one would be a good option.

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 04:56 PM

This may not be a big expense. Should just be an Office call and maybe a script for antibiotics. Good idea Natalie on the Walmart or Publix for the antibiotics.

You could try the comfy cone and some Antibacterial over the counter cream.

It takes a long time for these things to go away, so be prepared for a long haul.

Doing a wrap for DeeDee worked really well. At first I used some Antibacterial cream and two 4 x 4 gauze pads and some Vet wrap. The gauze pads kept it from getting wrapped too tight. After a week or two I stopped the cream and just dry wrapped it. I would leave it open for a while as long as I could watch her like a hawk. She never bothered the bandaged leg.
Posted by: Chicago Canine

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 05:54 PM

I have a Comfy Cone. It works well but I'm not sure if it would prevent a dog from lickinga front paw. Most of the soft e-collar alternatives won't work for front leg issues.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 07:20 PM

My late gsdx used to lick - I think related to when her arthritis acted up.

It seemed if I could break the cycle for even a few hours she would then stop and it would heal. She hated the smell and taste of tea tree oil (pet strength, not human) so I would just put a few drops near it, not on it.

That usually kept her away from it and it healed quickly when left alone.

Good luck to the OP.
Posted by: dano

Re: what could this be? - 01/19/11 07:26 PM

Vet wrap is available at most feed stores, or horse supply stores.
Been there done that, worked. Like for Val's DeeDee, mine left it
mostly alone long enough to heel.

Re: what could this be? - 01/21/11 10:29 PM

I've never had good luck with wrapping to stop a dog from licking/chewing on a foot or leg (a wound or skin problem)... My pets always would just tear the vet wrap off.

Re: what could this be? - 01/21/11 11:33 PM

Chicago Canine, next time if you want to wrap some thing up on a dog, wrap it and then swab the bandage with a little Tea Tree Oil. Most dogs do not like the smell of TTO and will leave the bandage alone. There are times when you have to bandage so just a little trick that has worked for me.

Re: what could this be? - 01/21/11 11:48 PM

I tried the tea tree oil, Val. The dog still chewed it off.

Re: what could this be? - 01/22/11 12:03 AM

Thanks, I'll try the Tea Tree oil next time! I did try using Bitter Apple but they always seems to ignore that stuff.
I've been trying to wrap my cat's leg recently too and having the same problem with him pulling the vetwrap off. He has a lesion on his foot and it's not healing well because he keeps licking it. Too bad you can't use tea tree oil with cats (it's bad for them.)

Re: what could this be? - 01/22/11 12:05 AM

I would swab a little on the bandage and see what the cat does. If he still chews then I would change the bandage.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: what could this be? - 01/22/11 12:26 AM

Tea tree oil is TOXIC to cats. I would not put it on a bandage on a cat.

Re: what could this be? - 01/24/11 12:59 AM

Well I figured out how to get my cat to stop pulling the vet wrap off.

Yes, that is a kitty-sized legwarmer. I put it over the bandage/vetwrap, and he hasn't pulled it off since! I guess it's because he can't unwrap it like the vet wrap, and the vet wrap is keeping it from being able to slide off since it's rubbery.
Posted by: bianca

Re: what could this be? - 01/24/11 06:15 AM

A kitty legwarmer! Such a good idea smile I hope kitty feels better soon.