cr*p, max got bit

Posted by: MaxaLisa

cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 04:49 PM

Took max for a quick walk before leaving for work today. As we passed this house, the owner came out the door to do something and is busy petting and saying hi to max. Seems his dog (who does not like Max) was able to open the door and he came out rushing towards Max. Knocked him over and went straight for the abdominal area.

I don't know if this is minor or not. I am worried about some kind of internal bruising?

Max was on the ground curled up and crying out, while the owner was trying to pull the other dog's head back and I had grabbed onto the skin on the back and was pulling as hard as I could. The owner kept saying he had the dog, but he didn't, I was getting reading to kick him, but the owner finally got the dog. The dog probably has at least 30 lbs on max - some kind of Malamute-ish dog. For all of Max's reactiveness, he's a lover, not a fighter.

I am very worried about area right below the ribs - no puncture mark at all, but yelping.

There are a bunch of nick marks on his belly and - I saw one small bruise so far.

There is one puncture mark that I can find. It is on the shaft of his penis. All sorts of dark blood was coming through the penal shaft, it is starting to swell. I was thinking that this was just the skin around there, ouch, I so hope his penis isn't punctured???

He is trying to get comfortable, but it's hard it seems.

We have a vet appt at 2:20. I am going to the vet that also does ultrasounds - she will have a better understanding of the internal workings. Otherwise I would have taken a sooner appointment.

The owner is one of the few that really likes Max and always gives him attention and snuzzles, he felt bad. Of course, this is the first time the other dog has ever done anything like this (why is that always the case)?

I feel bad that I wasn't able to protect max. I was on the wrong side to block or interfere. The dog ran out at full speed, and both Max and the owner were closer to the dog than I.

He is clearly not comfortable frown
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 04:57 PM

Aww Lisa I'm sorry for you and Max. Hopefully it is nothing much to worry over. Let us know how the appt goes. Hug Max from all of us!
Posted by: LukesMom

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:02 PM

Lots of hugs to Max, I hope he is okay.
Posted by: Jason L

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:07 PM

That's terrible! Poor guy! I hope it is nothing major and Max heals quickly.
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:08 PM

Yikes! Poor Max! I'm so sorry.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:11 PM

Oh poor Max. I hope he will be OK.
Posted by: Vinnie

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:11 PM

Oh my, how traumatic. shocked Poor Max. Give him lots of hugs from us.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:13 PM

Oh that sounds awful, poor Max and poor Lisa. It's good you were able to get an appointment with the right vet so quickly.

I really hope he's fine.

MJ
Posted by: aubie

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:17 PM

OMG that sounds horrible!! Zooming healing thoughts your way! Poor fella! hugging
Posted by: Good_Karma

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:21 PM

Oh no that is so awful! I totally understand how you must feel, that you couldn't prevent what happened. hugging

Please do let us know how it goes with the vet, I hope Max is just going to be a little sore for a while.

At least you are on good terms with your neighbor, hopefully he will help out with the vet bill.
Posted by: Karin

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:27 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your and Max's awful experience today! It's good that you're able to get him to the vet so soon.

I hope that it is minor and that he heals quickly (physically AND mentally). Poor little guy! hugging
Posted by: unloader

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:40 PM

Oh no! Sending good thoughts to you and Max! Please update us when you can.
Posted by: Zisso

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 05:40 PM

Oh no! Poor Max, and Poor you! Fingers and paws crossed that all goes well at the vet and only minor bruising for Max so he can get comfy and heal quickly! You have always been here for all of us, and hope we can can do the same for you and for Max too.
Posted by: Kris

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 06:04 PM

Awww Max - I'm so so sorry this had to happen to you... hugging

Will look for updates from your vet visit. Hope it's nothing serious...
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 06:15 PM

So sorry that this happened today. Give Max a big hug hugging from us. Hoping that his injuries are only minor and that he will be feeling more comfortable soon.
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 06:48 PM

Oh my, what a nasty, scary, and painful attack! An attack on the soft parts is particularly nasty. I hope the injuries are not serious, and that he will be pain free soon.
I've felt the upset of not having been able to protect them from an attack, too. When an attack happens so fast and is so unpredictable, we cannot prevent them...
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 06:51 PM

poor max and you must've been shocked!! Hope he is feeling better tonite..
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 06:55 PM

Oh no, no updates yet. I hope Max is OK. How horrible for both of you, Lisa. We try to protect them from everything but sometimes it is impossible.

Will be watching for news. crossedfingers

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:05 PM

Bonnie it is only a little after 3 in California, Max's appointment was 2:20.
Posted by: Emjworks05

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:06 PM

Oh no! Poor guy. I hope that nothing serious is wrong with Max, I hope he's able to get a little comfortable until he can see the vet. hugging Let us know how it goes at the vet.
Posted by: katieliz

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:12 PM

omgosh that's terrible. i'm SO sorry to hear that. will watch for updates. be careful...
Posted by: DancingCavy

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:22 PM

Oh no!! Poor Max. I would feel much like you, upset that I couldn't prevent it. But sometimes things happen so fast that, even if we had seen it coming, there was nothing that could be done. Don't beat yourself up. Max knows you tried!

Hoping everything went well and that Max is on his way to a speedy recovery. Thinking of you both.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:23 PM

Thank you so much for all the support! I was able to read while I was waiting for the vet. Waiting to pay the bill probably took longer than the appt!

Max will be fine *whew*

The vet said that Max is very lucky - his larger size probably kept the other dog from getting a good grip and spared him more puncture marks and internal damage.

She did find a line of abrasions from the teeth marks, which was causing the yelping. I couldn't find them through all that hair.

The puncture wound is on the forskin, and the penis is fine. I was sooooo relieved that he marked as soon as we got there and lots of pee came out smile

There are more abrasions on the other side of the shaft, the dog apparently was able to get his teeth around that (ouch! My poor boy frown )

I have a few pictures I will have to post later.

She expects he will be VERY sore the next couple days. Even told me I could give him twice the normal metacam dose today and tomorrow. Not inclined to go that high, but will given him Metacam for the next several days, Clavamox for the puncture wound.

He had another dog bark at him there, he turned his head as a calming signal and didn't react. I thought good. Then he worked really hard to peek around the corner and went ballistic. This will be interesting, we had been making such progress...

Thank you again for being concerned about Maxwell!

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:40 PM

Great news, sorry Max is hurting but glad it's not going to need further medical attention, and also very sorry about how this will set back his training. I feel your pain there for sure.

I thought it was odd that the attacking dog went for that area. Is that common? wow
Posted by: AvaLaRue

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:41 PM

Wow Lisa. So glad everything ended up being okay for Max. Hopefully he will feel better soon!!

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:42 PM

I am glad the big guy is going to be OK and didn't react to another dog barking at him.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:44 PM

So glad he is alright! Whew, what a relief. Hopefully this won't set you back too much.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:49 PM

Very relieved that Maxwell will be fine!

On lighter note, I thought of a job for the dog that bit Max... grin
Posted by: Jason L

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:50 PM

Really really glad to hear that he is alright! Get a good night rest, Max and Lisa!
Posted by: Cassidy's Mom

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:51 PM

Oh no, poor guy. frown Hope he's feeling better soon.
Posted by: Lorelei

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 07:56 PM

Glad to hear that he is going to be okay!
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:04 PM

i hate when dogs attack. i am glad it wasnt a bit bull....and am glad max will be ok. i hope you are sending the bill to the malamutish dogs owner.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:24 PM

So glad to hear he's okay. I send you and Max lots of hugs. I can only imagine how that will affect his feelings about other dogs. frown

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:29 PM

Glad to hear that Max will be fine. Wishing you both a quiet, restful evening.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:37 PM

We stopped and picked up a pizza on the way hone, yummmy, we both wanted a treat!

He really is uncomfortable, I can tell his breathing is off, still after the shock has mostly worn off. I bet his ribs hurt.

The vet also said warm compress in the region of the puncture wound, forgot about that!

I will give the owner the chance to do the right thing, but won't push it. $113, mostly for the clavamox, and didn't have to buy the metacam. Just so glad that it wasn't worse.

Leah, I know you've been through this before too frown

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:43 PM

Leah, about dogs going for that area...

We had a couple of Rotts on the street that went after a wobbly geriatric Golden. They knocked her down and went for the same region. It was the first time I had ever seen that. Guess if they can't get at the neck, they go for other vulnerable areas of the body.

Jamie, I bet you can only imagine how Max will react, with all the hard work you have done with Risa.
Sigh, so he is in a very deep sleep right now, I hate to wake him for an early dinner to get some metacam in him, but I will.

Pictures later after I get him drugged smile They aren't terrible, but a bit painful looking.
Posted by: cassadee7

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:48 PM

Oh poor Max! How scary. I am glad he is going to be okay.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 08:52 PM

Glad to hear that Max will be OK and the injuries aren't as bad as they could have been.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 09:17 PM

Lisa, if I can be of any long-distance help with Max and his feelings about other dogs, please let me know. You've been such a help with Risa and I. We'd be honored to try and return the favor. smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 09:29 PM

I can't provide dog knowledge/experience-just relief that Max is not badly injured.

It still sounds awful, though.

Max can relax, though, in Lisa's hands.
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 09:31 PM

Glad he will be ok!
Posted by: Kayos

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 10:06 PM

Wow I just saw this! Glad dear Max is going to be okay. I think a dog that goes for the underbelly means business. I hope there is never another encounter like it. I also hope the owner takes responsibility for your bill and keeps her door latched.
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 10:16 PM

Oh poor Max! When I first started reading this I was really scared for him - and you. I am so very glad there's nothing serious.
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 10:18 PM

So glad Max is going to be ok! I agree with Kathy that a dog going for the underbelly wasn't just reacting. I hope the owner does a better job keeping his dog contained. How terrifying that must have been for you both.
Posted by: Qyn

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 10:21 PM

Only just read this Lisa, I'm so glad his injuries are not worse (of course they are still not minor).

Hugs to Max and I hope the other owner does do the right thing and as well as fixing his @#$?!*& door!!
Posted by: SLEACHY

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/20/11 10:21 PM

I am so glad Max is ok. It sounds like you have a decent relationship with this neighbor but I would be royally p.o.-ed if this happened to my dog. If Max were smaller, he would probably still be in the ER right now if not worse.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 10:55 PM

Yes, the dog meant business. When he came out, he had one thing in mind and was very determined.

The owner told me that the dog knows how to open the front door. While the owner did close the front door (screen door maybe, I was a bit confused on this), he didn't make it so he couldn't open the door and come out. Max and I walked up after the guy was already out front. Maybe the dog didn't like that we walked up to his owner and he couldn't see what was going on, I dunno. But with my full force, grabbing the skin and pulling, it did not faze the dog. Thank goodness the other owner was strong. This dog was after Max.

Jamie, we will probably have to take you up on that offer...

When I was making his dinner, he didn't even move, so he got to eat his dinner on the couch wub Keeps waking up and panting frown

These pictures were taken as soon as we got home.

Just a nick, thankfully:

These may show some bruising tomorrow, all the little red nicks are from the teeth, they kinda look like a rash:

Just a little nick, thinking this isn't bad:

Um, more blood than I expected??

Opening up the foreskin area, there was actually a good amount of blood coming out:

Here's the line that made him yelp. The vet used the term crushed tissue frown I'm thinking that his ribs are sore, and for the next couple days he will feel like he's been in a bar fight frown frown

I took this about 5 minutes ago, seems the bruising is starting. I have started the Arnica, actually started right when we got home:

It could have been a lot worse....

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 10:58 PM

Poor Max. frown
Posted by: kelso

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:18 PM

So sorry Max frown That all looks very very uncomfortable.
Hope he can get some good rest and feels better soon

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:21 PM

You're right sleachy, a smaller dog would have been in the ER.

Thank you everyone, Max appreciates the good thoughts, and so do I, it was pretty scary, and it's terrible when your dog hurts!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:22 PM

Poor Max - I was glad to read 'arnica.' That should help a lot. Didn't even think about the time difference when I posted earlier. (Must have been that hour drive home from that usually takes 20 minutes had me rattled - snow!)

I am glad he is doing better than we all feared!

I am sorry for all you are going through.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:28 PM

Oh no! Just got home from teaching and saw this. Poor Max! frown How incredibly traumatic for both of you. Glad he is going to be ok and sending you both lots of healing energy and hugs!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:36 PM

Bonnie, glad you made it home safely!! Thank you for checking up on us!

I am regretting giving him the Metacam, all he is doing is panting now. I gave him the full dose for his weight, I usually only give him about a 2/3's maximum dose. Ugh, I can't imagine how a double dose would affect him. I just gave him a bunch of charcoal, trying to figure out how to make him feel better.

Ruth, looks like you guys are a week ahead of us, thank you!

He's very wobbly, having trouble holding his weight up. I had to hold his hind end so he could move from the couch. I am a bit worried about that leg/back that we did all the physical therapy and hydrotherapy - he's not putting any weight on it. It's also the side that got attacked, so I hope that's just part of the tenderness. My poor sensitive, unstable boy!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:43 PM

After looking at the photos I felt like I had to send Max another hug hugging
I hope he can sleep well tonight.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:45 PM

The pictures, they look so painful. Poor Max. He does have a beautiful coat!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:50 PM

That looks very painful - and I'm sure it is. I'm so sorry he had to go through that...but grateful that he'll heal and there's no serious damage. Hugs to Max... hugging
Posted by: Selzer

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/20/11 11:59 PM

I am sorry you both had to go through that.

I hope Max feels better soon.

Dog fights are horrible, talk about raising the heartrate.

It sounds like your dog did not try to fight back? I would be ticked, but accidents do happen. It was not like the guy just lets his dog roam the neighborhood. Hope he offers to do the right thing.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 12:25 AM

Good heavens that is scary as heck. I hope Max is feeling better very soon and that you both can ramp down - just reading it...oof. And people wonder why people with small dogs pull them away from bigger ones when they have a chance. Here you didn't have a chance. frown Malamutes do tend to have same sex aggression when they hit maturity. I am sorry this happened.
Posted by: Vinnie

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:26 AM

Happy to hear he's going to be ok. Still sending you guys more hugs. It's been a long day for you two.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:27 AM

I am surprised and relieved that there is not more damage. I wasn't sure if the pictures are able to show how sore he is.

I gave Max a bunch of charcoal capsules and he is able to sleep again. I will pass along the hugs to him, gladly smile

selzer, Max did try to fight initially, but he didn't even see the dog coming until it was too late. Initially their little dog (20 pounds?) came out first and was a distraction. The nick on Max's muzzle is from the initial attempt to protect himself, but once the dog knocked him over, Max didn't stand a chance. I was going to initially say that the dog had 50 pounds more on him, but that sounded excessive, so I went with 30 lbs. Come to think of it, now that I had my hands on the dog, that dog was easily twice as wide as Max and probably a couple inches taller.

Dog attacks/fights are always so noisy, just that part of the experience is haunting actually, the sheer power and force of the vocalizations and thrashing about.

This was an accident. The guy and I sat on the lawn with Max afterward just to see how Max was doing and to look for blood. The guy kept petting and trying to comfort Max (moreso than I was at that time!), he felt really bad. I think the guy might be a lawyer, so I'm pretty sure he will make sure that the dog doesn't do that again.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:31 AM

Jean, it seems that this Malamute was fulfilling that tendency! I don't know how old he is, no clue.

Thanks Vinnie, it has been a long day, and I'm even more behind now!

We are ramping down for the night, getting ready to get a bit of work done before we're done.
Posted by: DianaB

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:48 AM

How scary. I hope that guy keeps a better hold on his own dog. Is this something you should report? Or is that not necessary when it is dog on dog? Poor max. Give him a gentle hug from Siena and me.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 01:03 AM

The vet didn't saying anything about reporting. I'm glad that this is a known dog, so I don't have to worry about things like rabies shots, etc. I bet the vet didn't pursue the reporting angle precisely because it's dog on dog.

Gentle hugs, will do!
Posted by: Kayla's Dad

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 01:18 AM

OMG. So sorry Max (and you) had to go through this. What a awful experience for you two to go through.

Hoping Max heals quickly and without any lingering effects.
Posted by: Northern GSDs

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 01:35 AM

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear this happened - I hope Max's recovery is quick - poor boy frown
Posted by: Emjworks05

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 03:04 AM

It does look a bit scary with those pictures. The blood was scary, Poor, poor boy. I REALLY hope he feels better soon. Heres a hug for him hugging and heres one for you Lisa hugging I hope you guys both are able to get some rest. Hopefully after he feels better there wont be any set backs in his training.
Posted by: bianca

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 06:55 AM

Oh my goodness poor Max frown I am so releieved he should heal up quickly(ish)

Will you need to wait a few days before you could get him into the chiro for any adjustments?

Sending you both so many hugging and that by the time you read this you will both have had a decent nights sleep.

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 07:48 AM

Those pictures (oh, the bruising!) looked quite painful. You know what you are doing though, and if anyone can make him more comfortable, its you.

I imagine last night was pretty depressing for you. I hope a night's sleep helps and that you can focus on what Max needs to get back to health. Please give him a kiss for me, and let us know how he's doing today. I wouldn't be surprised if he's more uncomfortable today (those types of injuries tend to get a little worse before they get better, in my experience).

Thanks for the explanation of what the malamute did. I will keep that in mind for the future. I just figured a dog would go for the throat, but the soft underbelly makes sense.

I'd also be interested to know if your neighbor inquires as to Max's well-being. He sounds like a decent person.
Posted by: DnP

Re: cr*p, max got bit - 01/21/11 08:02 AM

Oh my, I just saw this. I'm hoping Max isn't too uncomfortable today, However I suspect he is quite sore from the attck. I know you didn't get much sleep last night, but I hope Max was able to rest.

Your neighbor sounds like he's concerned about Max, I cannot imagine him not doing the right thing. But one never knows.

Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs! hugging
Posted by: Sylv

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 08:13 AM

Poor Max. How is he doing today?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 09:17 AM

Hope today is a better day and Max's is not so sore. Those little bite marks look ugly. A small dog might have been killed.
Posted by: Lynn P

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 10:00 AM

Sending positive energy and thoughts Max's way.. that does look awful painful. Glad he's okay and that it wasn't worse. Looking foward to hearing how he's doing today.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 11:04 AM

I hope that both of you got some good sleep last night. Boiron makes a product called Arnicalm Trauma that works really well. Rafi and I both used it with our back episodes.

I am glad you don't start until next week and hope you're able to get some work done today!
Posted by: aubie

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 11:07 AM

Poor poor Max! I'm glad the vet visit went well, but even Duncan is a little squeamish about the "Mr. Happy Area" injuries and pictures!! sick

Hope you guys had a good night!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 11:08 AM

I know it is still early Lisa, but I hope you and Max both were able to get some rest.

Poor Max.

Dogs can be down right mean and know all the soft spots on other dogs. They also know (instinct) how to disable their foe so they can't fight or get away.

Hugs Max.
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 11:31 AM

What a horrible thing to happen! It looks so painful, I hope that Max feels better soon. hug
Posted by: Recon

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 11:55 AM

I just saw this .. I hope Max is feeling better soon! And I hope you got some rest smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:19 PM

Hope today is a much better day and that things are going okay with him.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 12:36 PM

Poor Max. frown I hope he's not too sore today. Give him some pets from me.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 01:35 PM

G'morning everyone, here's hoping that today is a better day than yesterday for Maxwell??

We went for a short walk before bed last night, went past the house where this took place, and Max stopped and smelled for a really long time at the spot where he was laying on the grass after the incident. I wonder what he was smelling? It was late and dark, but other than that no reaction to the house, other than to pee on the lawn, which he always has. He was looking around on the walk more with purpose it seemed, more over the shoulder looking back.

We slept downstairs last night, he got the couch, I think there's something backwards about that wink

He's having trouble holding his eyes open and hoisting himself up on the couch - probably his neck is really messed up, maybe his bad shoulder too (not to mention the back!). Chiro is only here on Tuesday, will have to wait for his scheduled appointment on the 1st. Wish I had the time to get him in next Tues, but busy with parental duties.

That bruising from last night spread a bit more by the time we went to bed, but it's not worse this morning - that must mean that we've seen the worst of it, I think. Found sporadic deeper red marks on the abdomen, thigh, and rib area, but luckily I think that one area is the only one with deep icky bruising.

The neighbor is actually several blocks down, I don't even think he knows exactly where I live. I will have to contact him, probably tonight.

The foreskin area is pretty swollen. She said to use a warm compress? Is warm right? I suspect he might not tolerate cold for the swelling?

He's still very reluctant to move, sure hope that today is the worst of it for him!

Max sends big sloppy kisses to you all!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 02:22 PM

Wouldn't you alternate heat and cold? I put an icepack wrapped in a towel on a foster after his neuter and he didn't seem to mind it. Happily laid there gnawing on his peanut butter kong.
Posted by: Tri-Shepherd

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 02:24 PM

Wow so sorry to see Max got attacked. Glad it wasn't worse although my ribs hurt from looking at the pictures. I imagine it is like any injury or fight and he is probably pretty stiff today. Thankfully that usually only lasts 24 hours or so. Give Max lots of hugs and I hope he feels better soon.

And yes when my two males bicker they go straight for the throat but if one being started with turns and body blocks they go for the stomach area. Thankfully they don't injure each other just slobber, snarl, and try to intimidate the other.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 05:30 PM

Glad to hear Max is taking it easy and that he has such a good nurse on hand to cater to all his needs. smile Tell him thanks for the sloppy kiss!
Posted by: Lin

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 05:45 PM

Poor Max! Glad he seems to be alright though after all that. And I hope the swelling goes down and he starts feeling better quickly!
Posted by: Diana

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/21/11 07:05 PM

Oh poor Max! I just saw this. So sorry he was involved in a dog fight. Those are horrible. I certainly hope the man is much more careful about keeping his dog inside. Have you thought of carrying bear spray? If it happens again, you can dump the whole can on the dog's face. Either that or a paintball gun filled with frozen paintballs.....

I hope Max heals up quick and that this does not aggravate his existing health problems. hugging
Posted by: Sage's mom

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 12:10 AM

hugging Max, Hope you feel better soon handsome
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 12:21 AM

Oh poor Max! I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier!

I am so sorry that poor Max is not feeling his greatest and what a scary ordeal for the both of you!

Give him a kiss and tell him that Stark sends a chest bump his way for a speedy recovery!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 03:47 AM

Just checking in on how Max is feeling today? hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 08:45 AM

Me too.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 09:02 AM

How is dear Max today, Lisa? Brings back memories of my little Solo when she was attacked - but she came home two days later with over 50 stitches and three drain tubes. Happily it did not change her sweet personality.

Max's tummy shots reminded me of that - sorry for getting sidetracked.

I'll be watching for updates.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 09:48 AM

Checking in on the most handsome Maxwell...

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 10:53 AM

Checking in, hoping Max is feeling a little better today.
Posted by: Barb E

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 11:24 AM

*Looking for a morning update knowing it really is probably too early, leaving a bunch of hugging as I head to the other room to work*

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 11:26 AM

Morning Lisa and Max. Checking in on both of you this AM.
Posted by: Cassidy's Mom

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 01:53 PM

I totally missed the pictures you posted - OW!!! You really are lucky it wasn't worse, poor old guy didn't stand a chance of fighting that dog off.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 04:11 PM

Bonnie, so sorry to bring back those memories hugging

Elisabeth, I told Max about the chest bumps, and he said that even though he's a bit leery of dogs right now, he will happily accept it since it comes from a forum dog smile thank you Stark!

It's hard to tell how much he hurts. The good thing is that I only had to feed him on the couch that one meal, he does a bit of happy dance for his meals, which is a good sign. I can tell he had no metacam yesterday, even with the arnica. He even allowed me to cut his walk short last night without his usual protest.

The bruise is deeper and a touch bigger, but I think it's at it's worst. The swelling around Mr. Happy smile is down. Still pants a lot on movement.

Fell asleep last night for about 5 hrs on the couch, I am flat exhausted with no reserves left - woke up too late to call. I need to do that.

I hope his leg will get better after the chiro on the first - he can walk on it, but no trotting and no serious weight bearing. Sure hope it's his usual sacroilliac joint.

Overall, doing well. I'm worried about taking him for a walk and seeing a dog, will continue to be cautious for a few days.

Thank you all for the well wishes and checking on us. What a pain, both literally and figuratively!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 04:56 PM

Hope you get some rest Lisa. It's hard to function when you are overtired. You guys take it easy. hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 05:34 PM

Poor guy!!! Hope he continues to heal and his pain level decreases.
Hope you can get a nap in too today!
Posted by: LauraHolder

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 06:21 PM

Hugs and belly rubs to you and Max! I hope he heals quickly and feels better soon!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 06:43 PM

I am trying to be productive today so that I can get to bed early. I think I need the chiro too!

Called the owner and he was cool. I told him I did end up taking Max to the vet and he right away offered to pay the bill. He appreciated that I was not going to pursue this in other ways. He is a long time Malamute owner, used to show them, we talked about how this was just a Perfert Storm of events.

The Malamute is about the same age as Max, never done something like this, but is very protective of the owner. Turns out the dog is about 40-45 pounds heavier than Max.

I am hoping for no more spreading of the bruise, otherwise I might think continued bleeding. As long as it is only a bruise, we're all good and he should feel great after he's all adjusted and should also be healed up by then smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 07:25 PM

The owner sounds like a good guy. Glad Mr. Happy is ok!
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I am trying to be productive today so that I can get to bed early. I think I need the chiro too!

Sorry Lisa but I just saw this today and was worried about Max. Maybe Max and you can get a twofer at the chiro. Sending healing thoughts and best wishes to both of you. hug

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 09:36 PM

Please do go to bed early!! You need your rest to take care of Max. Glad the Mal owner has offered to pay the bill, he does sound like a pretty decent guy.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 10:35 PM

Thank you SRM, I am worried about the boy too. Luckily I have some "stuff" here that seems to have helped some - an electric adjusting tool (I use it as a muscle relaxer) and a magnetic thingee, and they seemed to have helped enough until I can get him in. I pulled out my adjuster thing and he walked right over and told me he was ready for it. He must be ouchy!

Joanne and Kathy, I had to run into work, and by the time I got home, the owner had already dropped off the check!

I am so glad that the puncture wound wasn't more serious, and also REALLY glad that the dog never got a really good hold of Max's "parts" - that would not have ended well frown

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 10:40 PM

How scary is that thought.

I hope that you can relax and that his soreness goes away but thinking of times I've gotten caught in a dog's mouth by mistake - not even on purpose - it hurt for a while.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/22/11 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
.... his soreness goes away but thinking of times I've gotten caught in a dog's mouth by mistake - not even on purpose - it hurt for a while.

That's what I'm thinking. I think he thinks it's not so bad, but then it really starts hurting. After exertion, he is very very tired.

Here's the progression of the bruise....hoping it's just a bruise?

Thursday Evening:

About 8 hours later:

This afternoon:

The dark little spot on the left is his puncture wound.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 04:20 AM

Ouch blinkin heck with a bruise that big no wonder he didn't mind cutting his walk a bit short frown Sending him lots of gentle hugging and Molly sends a kiss. I hope you managed to get some rest in too hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 08:37 AM

Wow, that makes my skin hurt just looking at it. Poor Max frown Heal as fast as you can sweet boy!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 09:47 AM

Poor Max!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 10:34 AM

That area has a large blood supply so yes it will bruise heavily. Hopefully the bruise has gotten as bad as it is going to get and will start subsiding today. I imagine he is pretty sore!

Many years ago I was out walking my 2 bridge GSD's Lucky and Wolf. 2 cattle dogs came after us and one of them got Wolf like that. The other tore up Lucky's face. It was not pretty. It took Wolf a good week to start to feel better. Lucky ended up with 4 stitches on her face. The cattle dogs belonged to of all people my husband's boss. He never paid the bill. A slightly humorous ending to that- the wife told me if I would just call before I went out to walk they would put the dogs up. NO PROBLEM!!! At 3 AM for a month straight I called to tell her I was walking my dogs. They finally told me they had built a pen and please stop calling! I was happy too, I was getting tired of getting up!

What is scary is when a dog attacks that way they are going for the unprotected area of the dog's body and they mean to kill. I hope you never encounter this dog again.
Posted by: kaisersmom

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 10:57 AM

I missed this whole thread! So glad Max is doing ok! gsdsit

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 11:10 AM

To get that deep of bruising, there had to be a pretty good amount of trauma. So it is understandable that he is sore. I don't think he gets tired as much as there is more pain with activity so he wears out from that. But I wouldn't cut back the walking too much, Max needs to keep moving or it will take longer for it to heal up.

When I was young we had this wonderful Doxie and he would fight off the collie from down the road when it came on our property. Yes he went under the dog and went for the bits and the soft under belly. As much as we love our dogs some of them in a dog/dog situation can be down right ruthless.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 05:16 PM

Max so appreciates the empathy, thank you!

Kathy, terrible about the cattle dogs AND the owners. Very creative solution though smile I've been thinking about how safe Max is when we walk past that house, and the dog sees us, AND he's able to open the front the door. Usually the dog doesn't see us, but it only takes once. If I am by myself, Max is a dead dog. I need to talk to the owner about this I guess. Oh my, this is just terrible.

Val, that makes sense about the pain and not moving. When I hurt a lot, I don't want to move much either. He loves the walking, wanted to go further yesterday, so that is a very good sign.

I can visualize your Doxie. The Dog Thing. It can be a rough and stressful world that they live in.

I don't think the bruise is bigger today, so, yes, hopefully that's the worst of it. I"m thinking I will know for sure by tonight. 9 days until the chiropractor.....

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 07:57 PM

Glad to hear that Max is healing and wanting to walk, etc. I've been bitten by dogs a few times and got that kind of bruising too. Are you giving hypericum? I think Ledum in the remedy for puncture wounds and I would think that hypericum and calendula would also be helpful.

I hope he continues to improve!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 08:22 PM

Thank you Ruth smile

I've been debating today whether to re-dose with the Arnica, or switch to hypericum. Since you are the second person to suggest the hypericum, I think I will go with that. The puncture wound seems to be the least of his worries frown

Calendula, useful for bruises?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 09:53 PM

Calendula is excellent for bruises!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 10:27 PM

Just checking in on Max - and you too Lisa! Such a traumatic thing for you both... Glad the bruising hasn't gotten any worse. Hugs to Max that tomorrow is even better!! hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 10:47 PM

Thank you Kris. I had him out for a bit this afternoon, barked his fool head off - scared all the neighbors shocked Hope that's just a frustration thing, and not something I'll be posting about in the behavior section after he is healed!

Thanks Ruth, I have some calendula/hypericum lotion here!
Posted by: Lexi

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/23/11 11:16 PM

Oh no!!! Poor baby! ust now catching up on this. That bruising looks soooo painful. frown frown frown I hope that he's feeling better soon and recovery is quicker than expected. hugging to you both!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 01:05 AM

Thank you Cheryl - he is going a bit stir crazy, starting to nibble at his sore side, and hopefully that bruise will disappear quickly! Me, just hope to get past this next week!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 06:13 AM

Just checking in on you both. I'm pleased the bruising doesn't look worse. Lots of gentle hugging for you both.
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 10:17 AM

Glad Max is improving!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 11:47 AM

More pets for sweet Max.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 02:45 PM

Glad to hear Max is healing, stay well and rest up (both of you)!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/24/11 10:11 PM

Hope there was some improvement today! thumbup

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/25/11 02:23 AM

Thank you, he's feeling the healing vibes smile

The bruise today shows a lot of improvement - less coloration.

Somewhere he still hurts, and I haven't yet figured it out, but hopefully that will also start resolving.

But the good news of the day is that for sure he is no longer getting worse!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/25/11 06:02 AM

Oh Max hopefully you just need a few more days of rest and then you will feel as good as new hugging and a kiss from Molly

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/25/11 07:09 AM

Hopefully after Max sees the chiro, he'll get all the kinks worked out. If I can pinch a nerve just getting out of bed, I can only imagine how getting attacked could aggravate an old injury. More hugging for Max.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 06:49 AM

Checking in and hoping Max had a good day today hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 11:29 AM

Thank you bianca smile

Leah, you're right about the chiro. He now has a hot spot over that SI joint. I have afeeling that it's not going to heal until he sees the chiro.

I think he's reacting to the antibiotics too.

My poor boy.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 01:05 PM

frown Aw, poor Max.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 01:11 PM

Ugh, poor Max! If it's not one thing, it's another. The best stuff I've found for hot spots is Rejuva Spray or Rejuva gel. It works great for Kailor.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 02:31 PM

Hope he gets less sore with each day. Hot spots are not fun! I have started using a product called Coat Calm for Havoc.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 03:41 PM

I just hope Max feels better from nose to tail very soon.

MJ

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
I just hope Max feels better from nose to tail very soon.

MJ

Ditto and very much agree!!!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 07:07 PM

Poor Max. I hope he can hold out until his adjustment!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/26/11 10:42 PM

Awww, poor Max... Feel better soon, sweet boy! hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 03:31 AM

Max says he's tired of feeling crummy!

He won't heal that hotspot until he gets adjusted, unfortunately, this is a chronic spot for him because of hid back issues frown I dosed him up with Scullcap and put Zymox on it, so he didn't go too crazy when I was at work. I realized all his boxers to cover the area while I'm at work are cotton (allergic!), so I found the sole pair of satiny shorts around here to use today. Thank goodness they have Peanuts characters on them so they didn't *completely* insult his manly sensibilities wub though I guess Superman shorts would have been his preference rofl

I ended his abx today too - no more hyperventilating - he's been waking up with increased respiratory rate every night and extreme panting.

What an ordeal! His spirits are good though, and we have managed to deal with the few dogs we've seen out and about so far, with careful management. He reacts quickly, but is easier to calm and seems to be more thoughtful after he settles. It will be interesting if this has a long term effect in terms of a learning lesson.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 06:01 AM

Oh no isn't Max allergic to peanuts?!!! Not really funny but trying to get a wee smile smile

Sending more gentle hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 07:41 AM

Oh, I'm sorry. I hope you can't hear me giggling about picturing Max in a pair of sexy Peanuts boxers (please tell me they are boxers and not panties).

Feel better soon, Max. When is his appointment? It's got to be coming up in another day or so right?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 11:19 AM

spitcoffee I completely forgot about the peanut allergy rofl good one bianca, and yes Leah, they are shorts!

Tuesday is tha appt, seems so far away...he's chewing his paws now too, don't know if that's allergies, since everything is greeing up, or sensations from the neck.

I need some bubble wrap to wrap this boy in!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 11:42 AM

Poor Max.

Lisa it is hard to figure out if he is paw chewing from needing an adjustment or the allergies.

Hug Max. You are going to be really stylish not being able to wear cotton.

Lisa, this just popped into my head. What type of collar or harness are you using on Max? A lot of the webbed stuff I believe has a certain amount of cotton in it. Is he ok with just short term use of cotton?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/27/11 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Hug Max. You are going to be really stylish not being able to wear cotton.

I know, he is now the Polyester King. Ugh, and so much of what I have is cotton.

Quote:
Lisa, this just popped into my head. What type of collar or harness are you using on Max? A lot of the webbed stuff I believe has a certain amount of cotton in it. Is he ok with just short term use of cotton?

I use primarily an Easy Walk Harness. I don't think it bothers him short term, and maybe because it mostly makes contact with his fur?

We were walking today around the park, we made sure to keep a good distance from all of the other dogs. Next thing we know, some dog (Goldendoodle-ish), had broken away from its owner and rushed up to Max. THANK GOODNESS the dog was friendly. Max wasn't friendly, but he wasn't terrible. With some careful handling, everyone walked away okay. The owner was freaked out though. At one point she asked if I could pull Max away from her dog, and I told her I couldn't - her dog wasn't on a leash, and that dog would continue to come toward Max, and I know Max, that would have triggered an outburst. I was very proud of him overall, he did good wub

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 07:07 AM

What a good boy Max! Thank goodness the outcome was OK *phew*

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 10:36 AM

OH Max, I"m glad you're keeping your spirits up through this ordeal! LOL peanuts shorts and offleash golden doobies, Morgan wouldn't have been so patient with either of those things!

Quote:
At one point she asked if I could pull Max away from her dog, and I told her I couldn't - her dog wasn't on a leash

Sigh. Lets hope you had an each one teach one moment with that particular goldendoobie person...

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 12:26 PM

Yikes. A moment like that will NEVER go well. I would have probably wanted to say something snarky like "Well I could if you had your dog under control." Geez.

Poor Max and you. Just what you needed. . .

Hope he's feeling better at least.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 12:41 PM

I was very proud of him overall, he did good wub

And with all he's had to go through-gold stars all around!

I hope things clear up for Max.

MJ

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 01:00 PM

Geez, sometimes it seems like you have to dodge all these land mines and booby traps just to walk your dog. Ugh, well glad that Max handled it okay (and you too!).

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 01:04 PM

Glad that Max did not eat the golden doodle! I hope your weekend is less uneventful, on the health front and on the strange dog encounter front!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 04:21 PM

I bet Max looks adorable in his satin Peanuts boxers! Yikes, glad the Goldendoodle incident ended well.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/28/11 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Good_Karma
Geez, sometimes it seems like you have to dodge all these land mines and booby traps just to walk your dog.

Exactly, you never know what to expect. Hope Max continues to rally and avoid goldendoodles.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 12:15 AM

Tonight it was some strange Yorkie. Ran out of her garage, 3 houses down to us. We had never seen this dog, I stayed away from the park today, and went a route where I almost never see dogs. Ugh. Thank goodness Max is pretty good with small dogs. The dog ran up, stopp right under his head, stood up on her hind legs and put her paws up on Max's neck wow

Max had a lot of head tilts and a bit of "what the heck" expression, but I was pretty sure it would be okay. BUT the owner had no idea that would be the case!!

I'm glad I'll be home the next couple days - only Monday will be unsupervised. His boxers where all wet where he was try to get at his hotspot.

What an ordeal!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 12:32 AM

I read the silky boxer part to my husband...he says if he ever comes home and the dogs are wearing underwear of any kind he is having me committed! LMAO! Got to admit he may have to commit me the next time my female goes into heat then. Give Max a hug for me I hope his back feels better once he sees the chiro.

Can't believe he didn't just step on that little dog though. I know all 3 of mine would have whacked it away with a paw like it was a fly.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 12:58 AM

It is pretty funny - I guess we do what we have to do!

I think little dogs are the kind Max feels best with - I think that's related to stuff that happened before he came to live here.

This was in 2009 at Ft. Funston:

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 05:21 AM

Well surely that's the last of the three episodes now crossedfingers

That photo is lovely, Max is such a handsome boy wub

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 08:52 AM

Someone needs to invent a force field or something that you can attach to your dog's collar to keep other dogs away. Thank goodness this unexpected meeting was okay.

I can understand where I live out in the country, why dog owners let their dogs run loose (although I don't agree with it), but I cannot wrap my head around why so many people in the suburbs would do this.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 03:09 PM

Aww what a sweet picture! My mom has two min pins and the female is so sweet my dogs would never hurt her. However her male is a yapping little mouthy thing. My female ignores him the best she can. I have never introduced my males to him. I can say it would not be a good situation. I am in envy of a male GSD being so sweet to a small male dog. LOL!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Tri-Shepherd
I am in envy of a male GSD being so sweet to a small male dog. LOL!

Me too! That picture is just precious. Max looks so pleased to be nose to nose making friends with that little dog.

Maybe it's just luck of the draw with my neighbor's little dogs - very aggressive and if they're loose they're coming in to bite. We have a HUGE rottie, a yellow lab and a giant mastiff mix (call name: Yeti!) on the block that I'm far less concerned with them running up to my dogs than the chis, the minpin or those italien greyhounds.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 03:57 PM

I still think Max is trying to figure out what those little things are smile

Out in the 'burbs, folks just let their guard down. When indy was younger, she did her share of stupid things before I got her trained. She was trained very well most folks don't do that. With Max, I know I can't give him the opportunity to screw up, the stakes are higher for him

Leah, hope you are right about the "three" - didn't even think of that!!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Good_Karma
Someone needs to invent a force field or something that you can attach to your dog's collar to keep other dogs away. Thank goodness this unexpected meeting was okay.

If you ever hear of something like this, let me know. I want one!

Part of the problem, imho, is that other dogs don't know how to communicate. Seriously. There are times when Risa has been extremely clear to another dog that she didn't want them to come close. . .and the dog just trots right on up to her like she wants to be friends. AGH!

Glad Max is doing well, though I'm sorry to hear he's still trying to lick his hotspot. Poor boy. Is it Tuesday yet?!?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/29/11 11:06 PM

Humans don't know how to communicate. It's hard to expect dogs too. smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/30/11 06:09 AM

I hope there were no more close encounters of the canine kind today!

hugging for Max.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/30/11 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DancingCavy
Is it Tuesday yet?!?

Tuesday is taking FOREVER to get here impatient His hotspot is bigger - he is trying not to bite at it, but movement bothers him and that area frown

I think we interfere with many dogs learning how to communicate with each other. Max and his "so called" training (before he got here) pretty much messed him up with other dogs. I wonder if dogs that are good at communicating are kinda like humans that have the same skill - I mean, if it's a similar percentage of the population.

We've had no more incidents because we've been a shut-in for the last couple of days. Max has really been sore, and I've felt tired and crummy. He's so BORED, but too sore to make any noise about it!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/30/11 11:41 PM

Max has really been sore, and I've felt tired and crummy.

It sounds like you both need a hug. hugging I hope Tuesday hurries up for poor Max.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 12:34 AM

I was hoping for some improvement on Max. Lisa you don't have to get sick because Max is feeling crummy. Sending you both healing vibes.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 02:24 AM

Thank you guys, I will work on not getting sick too. LOL, it rained for about a day before I even realized it was raining...talk about shut-in! It was really just a drizzle though.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 04:28 AM

Sending you both hugging Take care Lisa.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 10:22 AM

Awww feel better both of you.

As far as inter-canine communication, I think it's due to a lack of proper socialization as a whole. Too many dogs are not learning how to communicate with their own species because they're never given the chance to acquire that knowledge. Not enough well-run puppy classes, dogs spending too much time in back yards, ignorant owners, etc. Whatever the cause, a lot of dogs have no idea how to read each other.

Like I said before, Risa has barked/snarked at dogs and the dogs keep coming right for her. They just trot on up and try and greet. Like they have no idea that she might not like it. And, granted, Risa is not exactly the best example of a great doggy communicator. She is actually quite good when she's calm but dogs, in general, stress her out and scare her. She tends to take a small slight and blow it out of proportion.

JMHO, anyway. Hopefully Max will get over his major incident without being too worse for wear. smile And chiro tomorrow!!! laugh
Posted by: Barb E

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 10:29 AM

*Zooming more good thoughts south for both of you* and of course a bunch of huggings
Posted by: Helios

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 10:53 AM

Lisa just read the whole thread, didn't even notice before. frown
Sending hug to max and you hug hug

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 12:31 PM

Thank you guys!

Poor Max, I have to put his pants on beofre I leave so he doesn't chew too much. Have to put his bootie on because he's chewing his paw (neck?), and when we walk by the house, he wants to turn around, so I compromise and either walk in the middle of the street or all the way on the other side. Then on the way back, he wants to stop in the middle of that lawn, right in front of the window where the dog can watch if he's around. Sigh.

Jamie, I agree with you - I had those issues with Indy - she wanted nothing to do with most other dogs, and they were clueless. She disliked Goldens, and I think it was because they mostly tend to just come up and expect everyone to like that attention.

As long as the dog is no bigger than, say Risa or Indy, I think I can work with him. Very worried about long term issues with larger dogs as he starts feeling better.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, hurray laugh

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 12:49 PM

I'm starting to really want to see a picture of Max in his shorts, am I the only one? whistling

Glad to hear he is still on the mend, and hopefully that adjustment will fix everything else. It's too bad we can't just sit down with our dogs and have a real conversation about other dogs and why reacting to them is not always the best choice. frown
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 01/31/11 01:40 PM

Yeah - a picture would be great.

I can see the doggy communication thing even between my two. When Aodhán's had enough of Caleb's rough housing, she gives him a little lip curl. Until recently it never seemed to phase him. He would keep coming until she had to get more forceful with him. He's almost two and just starting to get the that little lip curl means "leave me alone".

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 12:16 PM

Picture, hmmm, when I get home, I have to get him out of that contraption asap, or he gets in weird situations doing his happy dance (stepping on a leg, etc). I will try to get a pic when I put him in it, with luck, after today, I won't need it!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 05:44 PM

We are both very tired, it was a chiropractic morning for both of us laugh

Max had to wait in the car while I saw my chiro, and by the time I was out, Max had worked himself into a bit of a frenzy, panting and such. I think he wanted to be first shrug

Max was a bit frantic when we got to the chiro. He LOVES getting adjusted, I have to think he was so anxious to have this appointment.

The SI joint and low back were a mess. His hock and some digits on that side were also adjusted. He had some issues mid-back, around the middle of the ribcage, and also the mid and high neck area. Within 5 minutes of the adjustment, he was lying on the floor, ready to go asleep. Right now he is completely zonked out on the floor wub

I'm kinda glad the chiro found a number of things, because I know he's been feeling very bad. We both go back in two weeks. The nice thing about Max, is that he usually doesn't physically "hold on" to these things the way that Indy's body used to, so hopefully that appointment in a couple of weeks will find very little out of wack.

crossedfingers that this does the trick and that spot heals up right away now!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 05:58 PM

I am so glad the chiro helped both of you. Now - take a page out of Max's book and take a nap while you can.

Maybe this is the start of better days ahead. crossedfingers

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 06:00 PM

I think the nap sounds good.

I hope so too Bonnie!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 06:06 PM

Whew, that was a loooooong wait! Hope Max is back on track and feeling much better. crossedfingers

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 06:53 PM

Woo hoo! Sounds like Max is back on track.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 06:57 PM

Nap after an adjustment is a good thing. Nothing I am really good at though, unless I am a real mess.

Glad to hear you both had good adjustments.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 07:15 PM

It feels good to be less crooked, I have to imagine for Max it feels *really* good smile

Max keeps waking up and barking at noises that I certainly can't hear, so I'm going to try that nap just one more time. What are the odds that the phone will ring?!??

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 07:28 PM

Yay! So happy Max was finally able to get his adjustment and feels better. smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 08:43 PM

That's good to hear! Sounds like that chiro visit was just what Max needed. smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 10:34 PM

yes, I'm surprised you couldn't hear his big sigh of relief across the country! Toes and hock too, the poor boy was a mess!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 10:54 PM

So glad that the appointment was what he needed. Now that he's adjusted, I'm sure you'll he'll feel much, much better!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/01/11 11:55 PM

I'm glad to hear that Max's appt. went well. I hope he continues to improve!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/02/11 12:02 AM

crossedfingers that this does the trick and that spot heals up right away now!

Fingers, toes and paws crossed too! paw

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/02/11 07:24 AM

Thank goodness Tuesday finally arrived. I'm so happy to hear it went well today. I hope his hotspot can heal up now hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/03/11 04:18 PM

Checking in to see how both of you are doing. I hope both of you are progressing after the adjustment.
Posted by: LauraHolder

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/03/11 06:48 PM

Glad to hear things are on the mend. smile

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/11/11 09:07 AM

How is Max doing now?

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 01:31 AM

Thanks for checking in on Max smile

I've been trying to get this pic of the boxers uploaded, but just now had time. This was to keep him from biting at that hotspot. It didn't bother him after the adjustment, but flaired up again a day or say after that. Luckily, it only flaired for a very short time.

His back end is still a bit wonky, but part of that is the continual problems that he has. He has a follow-up appt Tuesday, and we'll see if the chiro finds anything significant. Overall though, his spirits are very good.

I talked to the other owner at length the other day. They are ensuring that the door is dead bolted when the owner is outside now, and they have always done that when they are inside.

During Xmas, that house had a very cool Husky and sled decorations:

Max kept wanting to bark at them, but would smell them, and they never smelled right I guess. Max always looked a bit puzzled by them.

He seems to take his boxers in stride. The design is the Peanuts characters leaning against a brick wall:

I wondered what he was doing the other night, as he went out for awhile while the sun was setting. I realized he wasn't here. Went out in the yard and found this:

He's having some lingering emotional effects, having trouble going near that house (who can blame him????), and when I talked with the owner, I was walking Max and the other owner stopped to talk as he was driving by. Max tentatively went to say hello, but as soon as Max smelled the owner's hand, Max did a 180 and put his back to the guy. We couldn't get him to alter that, so I moved him away.

It will take him awhile to get his confidence back.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 05:59 AM

I bet it was a bad wabbit that dug that dirt and Max chased it off!!!

He does look comfy in his boxers! What a dude wub

Hoping his chiro appointment goes well, nothing major.

I don't blame him for being unsure hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 11:42 AM

Thank you for the pictures, and especially the boxers one! He's such a handsome boy. I think Bianca's right, Max could not have done that, look at how sweet he looks! I think you will find little bunny footprints in the dirt if you look carefully enough.

Poor Max, I hope you start feeling a bit less nervous soon. hugging

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 03:56 PM

rofl those darn bunnies!

Thanks, I will keep working with him, our entire walk routine is kinda messed up now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 08:00 PM

Max looks SO handsome in his boxers! I love it!!

It will take time but hopefully he'll feel better about the 'scary spot' soon. I can imagine I would be pretty upset walking past that place too.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 08:02 PM

Ha--love the boxers picture. wub

You need to post more pictures of Max, Lisa! I think we all forgot how handsome he is! laugh

I hope he'll get over the place of the attack. I think you should bring along the most yummy food in the world for him and give it to him right there.

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 09:09 PM

I bet the original owner of those boxers didn't look nearly as handsome as Max in them!

The dirt - I'd blame a cat!

Re: cr*p, max got bit/pics - 02/12/11 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: LJsMom
I bet the original owner of those boxers didn't look nearly as handsome as Max in them!

rofl Maybe you're right, they were mine spitcoffee (I know who you were thinking of though rofl )

Max thanks you all for the complements, sometimes I forget how good lookin' he is until I see a picture. He is a most handsome boy wub

Ruth, I think you are right about the most yummy treats - I will definitely be working on this. Just reaction to the guy, and he LOVES people and is very forgiving, was very telling.