Tick Repellent?

Posted by: marylou

Tick Repellent? - 05/20/15 05:35 PM

Anyone know if this would work, be safe?

Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/20/15 07:23 PM

might work, for sure safe with dogs, not cats... I've use homemade repellent essential oil spray for a few yrs, there are many oils that repel insects. But they dissipate fairly quick and/ or may be overwhelming to a working dogs olfactory senses, if you are tracking.

This is what I used last year they also make a repellent;

http://synergylabs.com/?product=richards-organics-new-incredible-skin-spray-12-oz-3/

http://synergylabs.com/?product=richards-organics-new-flea-tick-spray-12-fl-oz-3/
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/24/15 03:29 AM

I dabble in therapeutic essential oils and I have that mix. We tend to get lots of hitchhikers in the hills by our house. Spraying her before a hike has helped. Otherwise they catch a ride on Siena then fall off and crawl on the humans. Yuck! So, yes, I believe it would work just fine. The only thing I do different is the water. I would use a base of coconut or similar oil and put it all in a spray bottle.
Posted by: Tally

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/24/15 09:57 PM

Thanks for posting, I may have to give this a try! I love sticking with natural ingredients when I can. thanks
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/25/15 02:29 PM

I think different areas have ticks that are sensitive to different things. I hope it works for you smile I made up a great essential oil mix one time, worked the best ever, but had no clue what I put in it so have never duplicated my success. Sigh.

Good point too about having to apply it often.

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/25/15 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DianaB
I dabble in therapeutic essential oils and I have that mix. We tend to get lots of hitchhikers in the hills by our house. Spraying her before a hike has helped. Otherwise they catch a ride on Siena then fall off and crawl on the humans. Yuck! So, yes, I believe it would work just fine. The only thing I do different is the water. I would use a base of coconut or similar oil and put it all in a spray bottle.

I actually use avocado oil, only because it was in a shampoo that used to use regularly for Indy, that worked better than any tick repellant I've ever used. I think it had chamomile, oat, vit E and avocado, but i'm sure it had some undisclosed ingredients too.
Posted by: marylou

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/26/15 07:45 PM

Oil instead of water is a good idea! Where can I find avocado oil? In with other essential oils?

Re: Tick Repellent? - 05/27/15 01:43 AM

I just put some in with the water, to hopefully also help it stay on. I have a NOW brand, sold with the essential oils (probably got it online), but I also saw a bottle of it with the edible oils @ Whole Foods.