Late heat?

Posted by: Alexis

Late heat? - 12/20/16 09:32 PM

Hello, I'm new here and I'm not really sure where to ask this question but I though here was fitting. I have an intact female gsd and she's 8 months old but hasn't gone into heat yet, is that abnormal? She is an emotional support dog so I'm with her 24/7 and have not seen any signs of her going into heat. I do not plan on breeding her, as I am not a breeder, nor do I plan on spaying her. I was just wondering if I should be worried or just keep an eye out. Is there any way of me knowing whether or not she has silent heats?
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Late heat? - 12/20/16 11:26 PM

For years I was under the impression that a bitch's first heat was at 6 mos. That was true with the first puppy I had which I discovered after postponing her surgery. However, my current 7 yo had her first heat at 15 or 18 months old, the 3 yo at 12 months.

One clue would be a massive shedding but that can vary with different dogs, too. This is as they shed their top coat or guard hairs as well as undercoat. Basically, splot splot will tell you.

Re: Late heat? - 12/21/16 12:10 AM

That's very reassuring, I was under the impression that the first heat was a 6 or7 month thing as well, I'm glad it varies. Haven't seen any shedding yet, she's got a medium length hair and she hasn't really started shedding too much yet, ill definitly look for that as a hint. But I definitly will keep the diapers on deck haha Thank you for the help!! Also, did your girls were diaper? I'm afraid mine will chew them off!!
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: Late heat? - 12/21/16 12:52 AM

Not late at all. My adult female didn't come in until 14 months. My puppy is 6 mos and I'm not expecting anything soon.

Re: Late heat? - 12/21/16 01:21 AM

I feel better now, thought I had a dud haha. I don't plan on breeding her, I was just worried she may be missing something important, thank you for reassuring me all is well, I will keep my eye out.
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Late heat? - 12/21/16 03:59 PM

The 7 yo was always good with her britches. The youngster, not as much but OK. Hardwood floors here and she doesn't bleed great gobs so it's not bad overall. Also she comes in every six months which is way better than the ones that cycle every four.
Posted by: Selzer

Re: Late heat? - 02/22/17 09:57 PM

I usually see a first heat around 10 months, but it can be later. Or earlier.