Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix?

Posted by: ALDawn

Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 09:52 PM

OK got another one for you. Is this pattern possible, as in is he a very diluted b/t gsd or a gsd/husky or whatever mix. Unfortunately this boy has crossed the rainbow bridge, the result of an owner who never socialized him with people or other dogs. We worked with him some while trying to find a rescue (HW pos). We had someone wanting to adopt but I refused to take the easy way out and let them adopt. they have a 1 yr old wild female GSD with no manners, and Smokey didn't take too kindly to her lunging at him. I told them they had three major obstacles: First, socialize their dog with other dogs and teach her some manners. Second, socialize Smokey with lots of people and other dogs on a daily basis, and third, socialize the two dogs with each other. Smokey was fine with calm dogs and calm people. He was somewhat territorial when inside a fence and we bought him a slight reprieve but because he was agitated in the run in the back kennel whenever another dog walked by, he was labeled cage aggressive. He just wanted attention, he would not attack the cage. Anyway, just for my own curiosity, I'd like your opinions:
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 09:56 PM

GSD with poor pigment. I don't see any husky in him at all.
Posted by: Grakira

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 10:00 PM

I'd say GSD/Husky is right on...the ears are husky to me.

RIP Smokey
Posted by: proudshepmom

I think I see husky in the shape of the head (rounder than the usual GSD head), and the length of the muzzle.
Posted by: proudshepmom

ears a little small for GSD too.
Posted by: Chicago Canine

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 10:13 PM

That coloration should be possible in GSDs, assuming that is a pale tan(cream or silver) rather than white.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 10:15 PM

Could he be a poorly bred WL/ SL mix? Ears are smaller than a show line but I have seen some WL with smaller ears. If not I would say high mix GSD.

Poor guy, poor socialization claims another life. frown
Posted by: kaelara

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 10:25 PM

definitely husky ears and muzzle. my husky test is if you ask them to come in for dinner and they dart away down the trail anyway, it's a positive identification. rofl2

or maybe that's just my furbaby.
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 10:34 PM

I see akita in the shape of his head and ears.
Posted by: DancingCavy

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/13/11 11:13 PM

Looks GSD/Husky to me too. Yes, GSDs can have that color/pattern. Really washed out tan with no mask but a saddle. But he definitely has a husky-type head.

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/14/11 12:12 AM

The color is lighter than any black and cream I've seen. I thought maybe WGSD with a black and white or gray and white husky. A rep from a GSD rescue thought all GSD, but I think there's a little something else in the mix. He was a sweet dog, he was coming around a lot, but we just couldn't find anyone to take him that would give him what he needed. We had one other inquiry, (I had him posted on my petfinder site, shelter won't post rescue only dogs on theirs) and they even agreed to make arrangements for this person to come and stay late to spend time with Smokey because of his work schedule, and he never called back. At least he got some good attention in the end.
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/14/11 12:13 AM

gsd/husky x would be my guess
Posted by: Andaka

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/14/11 12:11 PM

I think he is all GSD.
Posted by: Wolfie

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/14/11 08:21 PM

I would say GSD/Husky as well.

He actually looks similar to a dog that use to live to next door to me. He was a Shepherd/Husky with the same coat color.

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 04/16/11 08:42 AM

I saw an all white one thursday that looked alot like Smokey (except the blanket) and he was a GSD/Husky mix. We have two white Huskies at the shelter now. I think Smokey got alot of GSD looks but I always thought there was something else there.
Posted by: Rachel&Shep

Re: Diluted GSD or GSD/husky mix? - 06/18/15 10:44 AM

Hello, my name is Rachel. I don't know if this discussion is still open, but. I couldn't help but to reply to this, this pretty fellow here in the picture looks EXACTLY like my dog Shep, its unbelievable how much they look alike, the only difference I see is that my doggie's nose is fully black and his left eye is blue. I know exactly, or at least how to get a dog like this. My dogs mother was a white GSD, and his father was a Husky. Idk if this helped you guys out, but I wanted to help out the best I could. smile