What breed would you recommend...

Posted by: Virginia

What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 09:25 PM

For a family with older children who want a GSD but are not really ready or committed to go through all the necessary training, socialization and exercise for the dog?

These are their requirements - medium to large size (40 lbs +), social as opposed to aloof, moderate exercise needs, and "easier." By easier I think they mean they don't plan on doing obedience classes, don't want to spend a lot of time and energy on socialization (at least not what's necessary for a GSD), and don't want to spend 2+ hours on exercise/training a day. I think they are in love with the looks and temperament of a GSD, but when I told them how much dedication and interaction raising a GSD requires, they started looking kind of worried and asked me if there was another breed that might be better.

I know a lot of people are going to say, if you don't want to put in work then you shouldn't get a dog at all, and I agree. But I think this family is willing to put in time and energy for exercise, just not what is necessary for a GSD.

I can think of some small breed dogs that might be a good match (like a pug) but I'm drawing a blank for larger breed dogs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Posted by: Liesje

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 09:41 PM

Is going to a rescue or shelter an option? I have a dog that meets all their criteria, but he's a mutt from a rescue. 65lbs (though in profile is bigger than my GSDs), social, easy going, loves kids, zero drive, needs very little exercise (a short walk a few times a week and some yard time during the day).
Posted by: Vinnie

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 09:42 PM

How about a life size stuffed GSD from Toy'R Us? rofl

I'm kidding. smile Let me think about this one.
Posted by: zyp

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 09:48 PM

get 'em a Lab or Golden Retriever.

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 09:56 PM

Top 10 Dogs for Lazy Owners
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:17 PM

If they want a social family dog, I would recommend a Siberian Husky. As long as they don't want a dog with protective instincts, because a Sibe would open the door to an intruder. On average, they're wonderful with kids and dogs and they don't tend to have many health problems. And they're very clean dogs and easy to maintain, despite the appearance of all that fur. Of course, they do have some faults, like their desire to run, so owners must be careful about fencing and not leaving them to their own devices. Here's the good and the bad from the Siberian Husky Club of America:

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2a.htm

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:25 PM

Quote:

Seriously?? rofl

I don't know any retrievers that were born laid back. High energy until at 3 years old in most cases and they like to work.
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:33 PM

ugliest stuffed gsd i have ever seen!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the REAL mutt, though!!
Posted by: Chris Wild

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:38 PM

Some of the hunting breeds, sighthounds and setters mainly, can be pretty laid back. With most sighthounds they need a few minutes a day running like crazy full bore, and they're on the couch the rest of the time. Retired racing greyhounds can be great pets for lazy owners so long as they have a fenced yard or nearby park where the dog can run for a few minutes.

Bulldogs are about as lazy as it gets, but loads of health problems.

Getting into the really big breeds, Danes and most of the mastiffs are very laid back and lazy too. Most American line Dobermans I've met are as well.
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Wild
Some of the hunting breeds, sighthounds and setters mainly, can be pretty laid back.

As long as it's not a Gordon Setter. Mine is almost 4 years old and still bouncing off the walls. And she's all showlines. Had a field Gordon before and he didn't start settling down until he was 8!
Posted by: GrandJan

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:49 PM

Retired racing greyhounds can be great pets for lazy owners so long as they have a fenced yard or nearby park where the dog can run for a few minutes.

Beat me to it!
Posted by: Chris Wild

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: AgilePaws

As long as it's not a Gordon Setter. Mine is almost 4 years old and still bouncing off the walls. And she's all showlines. Had a field Gordon before and he didn't start settling down until he was 8!

True, I haven't met any calm Gordons that I can think of. But several really laid back Irish and English. English especially.

Vin, are they wanting a puppy or young dog, or would they consider an older dog? A middle aged dog of most any breed could fit the bill, including GSDs. Though there are some serious couch potato GSDs and breeders of that type that produce the perfect dog for them in a GSD looking package if they are dead set on a GSD.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 11:01 PM

What about Sparkle Monkey? Am I reading that right? Sparkle Monkey?
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21300049
What's up with that one paw?

Beagles? They are great family dogs but different - they may not listen. I just saw a bajillion of them on Petfinder.

Look at Sally's paws crossed!
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21350135

Okay, so I need to step away from the Petfinder.

I think if you are just looking for a pet to love, and to love you, you cannot beat a nice mix that has the qualities that you are looking for, whatever those are. There are plenty of PBs on that list too of course.
Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: GrandJan
Retired racing greyhounds can be great pets for lazy owners so long as they have a fenced yard or nearby park where the dog can run for a few minutes.

Beat me to it!

I 3rd that! I work at a house with 2 GH's and they are couch potato, sun spot seekers. They live on a lake, so the house takes up all the property, the dogs get on leash exercise only. They could care less and are fairly stable nerve-wise.
One is crate anxious/drools when crated(possibly due to her past,possible crate stacking?) but she is fine, not destructive if left out.
GH's rescues are eval'd very well too, so that is a bonus, you know what you are getting for the most part.
One of the GH's has a SLO immune problem(which is managed), but otherwise they are really healthy.

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/15/11 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jane Jean
Originally Posted By: GrandJan

Beat me to it!

I 3rd that!

Actually, I think your's is the 4th vote. wink

Originally Posted By: Vinnie

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:04 AM

Good suggestions everyone! I'll pass them along. All I could think of off the top of my head when they asked me was "uhh...lab?" and most labs I've met are pretty energetic.

This is actually for a family involved with the GSD rescue that I volunteer with. I think this family is going to go for a rescue dog either way, not a breeder dog, but based on their criteria, willingness to work with the dog and a few other things, I wasn't sure that a GSD would be the best fit. I actually recommended that they look into an all- or mixed-breed rescue, so that they could find their perfect dog without giving too much consideration to breed. A mixed breed like Lies' Coke would be perfect for them.

Like most novice dog owners, they originally wanted a (GSD) puppy, but after some chatting, they decided that an older, more mature dog would probably be best. These are great suggestions, never would've thought of them myself since I work almost exclusively with working breeds. I'll send them over, along with the Petfinder links. Thanks all!
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:10 AM

I vote for Sparkle Monkey! He looks like a lion!

Seriously, I recommend finding an breed rescue that has dogs in foster homes and giving a home to a great mutt.

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
ugliest stuffed gsd i have ever seen!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the REAL mutt, though!!

Yeah, agree, that is definitely the ugliest stuffed dog I've ever seen lol!!
Posted by: SophieGSD

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:49 AM

They could also look into the Leonbergers ("Leos" for short). I considered a Leo, but they were too laid back for me. They're big, fuzzy, floppy-eared couch potatoes. They're exceptionally cute and very social too. The draw back on Leos is that they have a short life span, only about 7 years do to their size. Also, they're a bit rare (= expensive).
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:55 AM

I would suggest a sweet, middle-aged Golden. smile
Posted by: bianca

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 04:58 AM

Another vote for a retired Greyhound. Molly's boyfriend is a rescued Grey and I would love one! He is so laid back and only needs a good half an hour a day of exercise. Couch potato!
Posted by: FurKids

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Quote:

Seriously?? rofl

I don't know any retrievers that were born laid back. High energy until at 3 years old in most cases and they like to work.

It's my understanding, too, that labs & retrievers are most often high energy dogs that need to work, some even more than gsd's.

Huskies, too ... they were born to pull ... thinking walks may not be so pleasant.

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: bianca
Another vote for a retired Greyhound. Molly's boyfriend is a rescued Grey and I would love one! He is so laid back and only needs a good half an hour a day of exercise. Couch potato!

Wow, that surprises me, I thought they'd still want to run ... and run ... and runnnnn until they drop at an old age smile

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 05:25 AM

Cocker Spaniels come to mind. There are I think the English and the American and I heard one is high energy the other not but don't remember which is which.

A bloodhound? Aren't they really lazy'ish and laid back?
Posted by: GSDElsa

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 07:22 AM

Another greyhound here. Our neighbor rescues them a well as a family friend. Our neighbor is retired and takesnice leisurely walks around the neighborhood with their dogs...nothing more. Sometimes I am jealous! Lol

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: FurKids
Originally Posted By: bianca

Wow, that surprises me, I thought they'd still want to run ... and run ... and runnnnn until they drop at an old age smile

Ditto, I was surprised about the greyhounds too. I do lure coursing with my dog so all the greyhounds/sight hounds that I've met are super energetic and raring to go. But I have heard from various people (in addition to everyone in this thread) that retired greyhounds are a great, laid back pet.

Did anyone see 50/50? I never thought of greyhounds as cute dogs until I saw that movie, lol.
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 11:32 AM

Actually, when I lived in Madison, WI a lot of people had retired greyhounds (there is a racetrack near there) and would bring them to the dog park. Occasionally they would zoom around the park but they'd usually just walk. I was surprised when I heard how mellow they were!
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:38 PM

My problem with sight hounds and huskies is that they should never be trusted off lead- for me that would never work.

I think a lot of which dog is the right dog will come down to individual temperament. Going with an older dog should allow some personality traits to be known and they can decide accordingly.
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 12:41 PM

Just reread original post, the children are older- you didn't say they wanted an older dog- what age dog are they looking for? I would think all puppies are going to have higher requirements in regards to exercise, socialization and training.

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/16/11 01:00 PM

All the kids are teenaged or older. They were originally looking for a puppy (less than 1 year) but after we talked I think they agreed that an older dog might be better - more mature and calmed down a bit. I don't think they were looking forward to all the necessary training, housebreaking, socialization, etc. that came with a baby.

With an older dog, I think they could look at pretty much any breed or mixed breed rescue that has their dogs in foster homes and find a dog that has the right personality and energy level for them. That's what I suggested to them actually, and I hope they take that to heart - we have lots of reputable rescues in the MD/DC/VA area.
Posted by: ozzyandsandi

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 01/30/12 10:15 AM

Would they be open to a very large dog? The reason I ask is with the economy and such alot of people are giving up mastiffs, Saints and extra large mixes because of cost. I mean the food bill makes my eyes bug out of my head, the drool is like OMG I just polished the dining room table, but I really love Dolly. Take her for a walk, let her play with Oz in the yard, she tires before him and he's an old man smile Other than that, she would sit beside you all day for ear rubs. The training is slower, but she's super smart. One incidence of counter surfing since she's been here and hey it was a nice roast, I would have done it too. Yesterday she was a bit sulky, but in the morning I gave her a treat and she was excited and grazed my hand with her teeth, it shocked me, I didn't yell, but she acted like she had done bad all day after. Soft, sweet personality, really wants to work for me.
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 01/30/12 10:52 AM

Collie. Smooth Coat if they don't want to deal with all the hair. Next time I have a collie it will be a smooth coat white or blue merle. They are beautiful!

Tell them to look up Collie rescues. I know there are some in the MD area.
Posted by: Krystie

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 05/02/12 07:49 AM

I would suggest a hound....a bloodhound is a laid back dog, good with kids, great temperment, just need to watch the nose....they follow their nose so a fence is manditory. They can also look into a GSD but a senior one that doesn't have much of a chance in a shelter....I'm all for the rescuing out of shelters b/c there is no sense in buying a dog from a breeder and let a shelter dog die. and there are TONS of purebreds in shelters. and honestly APBT's are good dogs despite their rap they have. I've had Pits and they are awesome dogs for families
Posted by: Krystie

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 05/02/12 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: FurKids
Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Quote:

Seriously?? rofl

It's my understanding, too, that labs & retrievers are most often high energy dogs that need to work, some even more than gsd's.

Huskies, too ... they were born to pull ... thinking walks may not be so pleasant.

Huskies are pullers and they are diggers if they don't have any mental stimulation, they can become destructive, as any dog can but my neighbor has a huskey and he doesn't have alot of stimulation so he's highly destructive.....digs like crazy...eats plants....lol just all around he's a hot mess...adorable....but a hot mess
Posted by: ladyfreckles

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 05/15/12 05:06 AM

+1 on the mutt suggestion.
Posted by: Destiny

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 07/18/12 05:45 AM

You should think about getting a Basset Hound. Basset Hounds are around 40-60 pounds, medium sized dogs, their exercise level is low, energy can be decent, good watch dogs, and can be easy to train. Although, I suggest you do MORE research on any breed that others may give you as well. You just don't go off getting a certain dog breed without researching the breed and being around them. To me getting a dog breed without research or being around them is like getting a Border Collie and expecting it to act like, or be like a German Shepherd.
Posted by: callmemaybe

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/24/12 11:52 AM

not hounds other than greyhound no and no husky these kids want a easy dog to live with so they can do what they like

shar pai

chow chow

yes greyhound

you dont really train any of these dogs are all very cat like

chow chow from a proper breeder will be VERY lazy and very cat like not a dog you train. I use to help a breeder out with them.

English bulldog is another.

Bernese mountain dog also but they are big with big hair and knock things over.
Posted by: GSDElsa

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/25/12 06:38 PM

OMG people, look at the date of the thread! I was reading through this thinking "This thread sounds SO familiar....................."

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 11/25/12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GSDElsa
OMG people, look at the date of the thread! I was reading through this thinking "This thread sounds SO familiar....................."

rofl I thought the same thing.
Posted by: Glenda

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 01/27/13 07:37 PM

what about a beagle ? I had one growing up they are wonderful pets likes to play and a good companion also, some energy just enough for small children. We had two, Buddy and Mary Jane love them both.
Posted by: WustenbergerLand

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/27/13 09:36 AM

**comment deleted by Moderator**
Posted by: 3K9Mom

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 04:10 PM

Beagles, Jean? rofl

These folks don't want to do training. Most folks say they're willing to do a lot of training then end up doing little. So when folks say they're only willing to do a little, I expect that they'll actually do almost none.

There's a reason why so many beagle are on Petfinder. They're adorable, and untrained, they dig (and therefore escape), bark,bay, and howl when they're lonely (more so than most breeds), go to heroic lengths to get into anything that might be even vaguely considered foodish. and often don't respond to more traditional training. So they're called stubborn and stupid (thanks, Stanley Coren), when in fact most beagles are bright and lively. But they have to have engaged owners willing to m anage them 24 hours a day until they (the beagles, not the owners) about 8years old.

So shelters and beagle rescues are bursting at the seams for a reason. Adorable and sweet isn't enough for the average lazy owner when the dog does not obey the simplest commands, is hard to housebreak and gets into the garbage regularly.

I cringed when Uno won Westminster. That yowling he did when he won was pretty intentional by his handler, though. I'm sure there were a lot of people thinking, "oh, I'd love a cute little dog like that," until they saw how a beagle can just howl, and howl, and howl.....

I think Leonbergers are a good suggestion. I've never met any but a nice very mellow ones. An older well-screened retriever could work, as could an adult (well screened) large dog like a Dane. The problem with Danes is that they're guard dogs and can become very guardy and territorial if owners don't manage that from puppyhood.

I would recommend they not bother looking for a breed but a "type" of dog and then work with their local humane society or shelter to find a dog that suits their needs. There ARE dogs that suit them. But if they have a certain breed or two in mind, they may skip a dog that really is perfect for them.

My newest dog is a mix of two breeds I'd never get, but she's a nice blend of smart, energetic and willing to please: just gentle enough to play easily with my small dog and just feisty enoough to push back when my GSD gets pushy. I didn't plan to get this blend (I wanted a beagle or beagle/mix). But I was
open to getting a dog that could blend into my family. So I ended up with a JRT/Cattle Dog (possibly Aussie) mix.

And she's a lovely addition to our family. wub

She is also a mix I would never recommend for a novice or lazy owner. It's best when we match individual dogs to their prospective families, instead of looking for a breed type and hoping that it will work.
Posted by: Zeeva

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 04:16 PM

Have you all heard of a Native American Indian dog? They've got the longest life span (that I know of) for being a breed that's on the larger side. Plus the standard seems to have a wonderful temperament and they're hypoallergenic! I might be dogless if my two ever leave me simply because I know my own personality but that's the one dog I might consider getting!
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Zeeva
.... I might be dogless if my two ever leave me...

I have been there somewhat recently, and it's a very lonely place to be....
Posted by: Zeeva

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Originally Posted By: Zeeva
.... I might be dogless if my two ever leave me...

I have been there somewhat recently, and it's a very lonely place to be....

I just pray I've a long way to go right now with Smokey being 4ish and Zeeva being 3 c:.

I'm sorry. I don't know how it feels to lose a dog (or a cat). I've only lost birds. I never really felt the void from that (maybe because I was young?). Only time will tell. I know if (big if) I ever have kids, and they go through the loss of our pets, I might have to cave and get them another...But man it's been a tough road with my two.
Posted by: 3K9Mom

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 05:08 PM

I can't imagine being dogless. I just can't.

It's why I maintain a herd of dogs, and not just individuals, but dogs of different sizes and different ages, so that if life goes as planned, I always have at least two at a time.

Of course, life doesn't always go as planned. The 16 year old who bloated outlived the 2 year old undergoing routine surgery. But we manage to go on, and I've learned that those who leave do so to make room for others who need us too. Life happens. We open our home and hearts again and again because that's who were are and part of the reason we were put on this earth. I know that our furry ones who left would not be happy knowing that no one was lying on our feet as we watch TV, encouraging us to hike up that steep trail or guarding the house from squirrels.

And honestly, I don't think we have any idea how to spend money if we didn't have dogs. rofl
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/29/13 05:19 PM

They can be challenges, particularly if you are bonded with them and care for them properly. But they are our teachers, and we also can learn a lot from them.
Posted by: Krissy

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 04/15/13 04:11 PM

Maybe a Bernese Mountain dog? Family dogs that don't need much, except nap time
Posted by: WustenbergerLand

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 05/30/13 06:33 AM

I will recommend vom GSD for protection better protection dog.
Posted by: Catnip

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 06/12/13 09:38 AM

I know I'm late to the party here but what about retired military working dogs? The husband and I had planned to go that direction but we had a 12 lb little alpha boy to worry about so we went with a puppy. Our next GSD will be a retired MWD though and many of them are ready for a slower pace so do not need all the exercise of younger dogs of any breed and they are very well trained well before you get them.
Posted by: Harley120R

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 03/31/14 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Catnip
I know I'm late to the party here but what about retired military working dogs? The husband and I had planned to go that direction but we had a 12 lb little alpha boy to worry about so we went with a puppy. Our next GSD will be a retired MWD though and many of them are ready for a slower pace so do not need all the exercise of younger dogs of any breed and they are very well trained well before you get them.

Maybe I misread, I didn't read all the posts. If they can't handle a GSD and asked about another breed, why could they handle a retired military dog.

My friend trains Malinois for the military. You think a family could handle a military dog if they can't handle a pet GSD? They are crazy animals.
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 09/17/17 11:02 PM

might depend a bit on what they were trained for in the military - I.E. difference between a patrol dog and drug detection or S&R dogs, perhaps.
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 09/17/17 11:02 PM

A couple of national level IPO dogs I know are really great pets, kids and all; others not so much!
Posted by: PaddyD

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 09/22/17 10:35 AM

OP was 4.5 years ago. Wonder what the outcome was.
popcorndrink
Posted by: Wolfie

Re: What breed would you recommend... - 09/22/17 07:21 PM

Haha, good question. It would be nice to know.