Aodhán's Vet Visit Today

Posted by: Woodreb

Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 05:37 PM

Aodhán went in to the vet today for a routine checkup and to have some x-rays done because she was knuckling under on her left rear leg over the weekend. I knew that she was showing a little weakness in the leg from her senior wellness exam last March when she turned 8, but last weekend was the first time I actually saw her knuckle under and it took a couple of steps before she corrected herself. This happened after some heavy running around at the park in the morning.

I spoke with the vet around lunch time and he said that there were at least 9 spots of spondylosis on her spine that he found. He thinks that one of the sites (but we don't know which one yet) may be causing a pinched nerve.

But there are 3 possiblities for her problem.
1. Temporary injury that may clear up from Caleb body slamming her. (DH told me he hit her hard enough one day last week to make them both yelp and it's not the first time he's slammed her.)
2. Pinched nerve from the spondylosis
3. DM (which honestly I don't want to think about too much just yet - but I can't ignore it as a possibility)

We're going to look into some chiropratic treatment and/or acupuncture for her, but what else could we do to help if it's a pinched nerve?
Posted by: Kayos

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 05:58 PM

Oh boy! I hope it is nothing serious and it clears up. But if I had to pick one I would rather deal with Spondylosis other than DM.
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 06:11 PM

Johanna, acupuncture is FANTASTIC for a pinched nerve, or for most anything, in fact. Don't be surprised if she snoozes during her treatments, my last dog did that! Paws are crossed here for your sweet girl Aodhan that this is less worrysome than you expect, and that you can get a treatment plan that you can feel good about. Grimmi and I are sending good vibes for Aodhan!
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 06:45 PM

Hoping that you find some treatment for your girl. I am hoping with you that it isn't DM.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 09:39 PM

Thanks for the responses. On top of this she also tested positive for Lyme's during her exam today. So I've got both dogs on antibiotics.

(Caleb broke a tooth off at the gum line and had to have it extracted today.)
Posted by: DianaB

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 10:35 PM

I would also suggest the acupuncture and maybe chiropractic for the nerve. Did they check the hips? I only say that because Siena knuckled for the longest time (also assumed spinal and/or dm) and when she got her new hip in March, all the sudden there's no nuckle-ing.

As a human with spondolysis and several pinched nerves along her spine, the acupuncture didn't work for me but the adjustments (i.e. chiro) did more help. I am also on Neurontin (Gabapentin?) for the nerve spasms and that seems to help my overall pain. I believe they may be starting to use this in the vet world too.

Best of luck, please keep us posted.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/21/10 10:52 PM

I would absolutely see a chiro first for the pinched nerve - hopefully that will take care of it. Acupuncture can help the muscles, but usually you need someone to nudge the spine in the right direction.

What antibiotic did the vet give for the lyme? I would seriously consider have a C6 run, it gives a measurement of the antibiody response and is one of the few tests we have to monitor treatment.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 12:10 AM

The vet did check her hips and they are OK and no signs of arthritis. That;s good news.

I have my vet checking into who around our area is good for chiropractic treatments. The closest one I was finding is a vet that I used to go to and I don't really want to use again for various reasons. He's also going to see if the vet he's suggesting for acupuncture also does chiro, so we'll see what our options are.

Aodhán's on doxycycline for the Lyme, which seems pretty standard. I'll ask about the C6.

Does anyone have a opinion about using a human chiro that also treats dogs?
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 02:31 AM

Sending good thoughts your way.
Posted by: bianca

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 08:54 AM

I am also sending healing thoughts your way.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 10:33 AM

By the way - what exactly is a "C6".

In my world it's a hexane hydrocarbon rofl2
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 02:27 PM

It's from Idexx Labs: Lyme Quantitative C6 Antibody Test

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/sm...rsationId=39167

It monitors response to treatment.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 03:12 PM

For lyme, I would treat any positive on a SNAP, and one guideline is to treat until the C6 has halved in value, another guideline is to get it under 30.

You want to kick the infection in the butt the first time. The aggressive dose of doxy is about 5 mg per lb, but I wouldn't go less than about 2.5 or 3 mg per pound. I would also give some liver support.

About the chiro, I actually prefer using a chiro that is for humans but also treats animals, since they are working on spines every day, all day.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 05:00 PM

Thanks, Joanne,

That link was helpful.

It's funny how we all use abbreviations and such that can end up meaning very different things to different people. One of my old bosses was fond of telling us he wanted to be sure we were all on the same page, I always thought that needed to be qualified to be sure we were also in the same book. laugh

Lisa,

I'll have to check and see what the dosage we're using is when I get home from work.

Do we have a link to things for liver support?

We're still looking at options for the chiro and acupuncture. I found a clinic a couple towns over from us that looks like they have a good service and do both chiro and acupuncture.Want to see if my vet knows anything about them.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 05:47 PM

It's nice to have a personal recommendation for any of these practitioners. I have to say though, I've been lucky whenever I just picked a person of the list, most all times.

This is the liver support factor that we recommend on the tick list, and I use here: http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Biochem-Liver-Support-Factors I either get it there, or at www.iherb.com

Forgot to ask, how long was the vet planning on treating? I'll be curious to see if you see any changes in her after awhile on the doxy.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 09:51 PM

I checked the dose she's on of the doxy and she's slightly over the 5 mg/lb (~5.3 mg/lb) per day and we've got a 21 day supply.

Thanks for the liver support suggestion. Looks like I may be able to get that at the Vitamin Shoppe, which I go by on my way home from work.

Since I had talked about the chiro and acupuncture with my vet on Monday and he said he would do a little checking for me, I want to give him the courtsey of waiting to talk to him again before I go to someone. We've got a good relationship and I want to keep it that way.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
I checked the dose she's on of the doxy and she's slightly over the 5 mg/lb (~5.3 mg/lb) per day and we've got a 21 day supply.

Oops, the aggressive dosage I meant to quote was 5 mg/lb *twice* a day. I'm not sure if that would change your answer. For some dogs, 21 days isn't enough, which is where the C6 test helps come into play. I would treat for 6 weeks, only because I've seen the more chronic cases on the tick list.

I hear ya on waiting on the vet to check, cool that the vet is looking into it for you!

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/22/10 10:56 PM

I wondered about that when I was checking the bottle. What I quoted was her total dose for the day which would put her at about 2.6 - 2.7 mg/lb twice a day.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 01:35 AM

That's the low dose of doxy. Some vets don't even dose at that level, so it's always important to check!

It's a bit difficult to say too much without a C6 value, though, if it were my dog, I would treat for 4-6 weeks, and that might get modified depending on response to treatment.

She didn't have a blood count run, right?

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 09:38 AM

No blood count this time. It was her annual physical and we had just done a full senior panel in March. She did have a draw to check her thyroid levels because the results were low in March and we were doing this as a followup. They weren't low enough for him to want to start treatment, so we decided to do a follow up in 3-6 months and see where she was. And it's not the full thyroid panel that he was doing. We did not discuss that.

I'm going to talk to him about the C6.

My DH, who is home with them all day, thinks that she's showing a bit more energy and alertness since Monday, when we started the doxy. But I think it's too early to tell for sure.
And I don't have the thyroid results yet. Should be getting that today or tomorrow.
With what could be 3 different things going one with her - possible pinched nerve, Lyme, and low thyroid it's going to be a little difficult to evaluate how she's doing just by observation.

ETA: And it's hot here, so she's a bit less active from the heat, too. Both dogs are content right now to hide out in the basement and rest.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 02:39 PM

Response to doxy can be fairly fast, or more gradual. If you see any kind of response, I would encourage 4-6 weeks of treatment.

That blood test is fairly recent, wondering if you have a copy there. I would want to double check the RBC and platelets to see if they are at the lower end of the normal range (just checking for coinfections). Sometimes some of the absolute counts on the white blood cells (often monocytes) can be a bit skewed on the blood too.

In an older dog, I bet the T4 is fairly accurate.

The doxy can also act as an anti-inflammatory, possible helping that pinched nerve. Maybe that pinched nerve is compromised from the lyme too. All sorts of things that we will probably have no real ansers to!

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 05:13 PM

I know what you mean about never knowing for sure about everything. I've been wondering if the reaction I saw on Saturday afternoon with the knuckling may have been a combination of a pinched nerve and the Lyme. I haven't seen her knuckling since Saturday and she hasn't been doing a lot of running like she was Saturday morning.

I don't have a copy of her blood work from March. I don't usually ask for a copy since I have enough trouble keeping track of paperwork blush. But the vet and I went over the whole report one day when I had Caleb in for a quick check up. I really don't recall him pointing out anything as being at a high or low end except for the T4 on the thyroid. But, again, that was a couple of months ago and I may not be remembering correctly. My vet is pretty good at pointing out everything he thinks we should keep an eye on.

I have to admit - both my DH and I have been commenting on the fact that she has been somewhat lethargic for a month or so. And someitmes you just can't be sure it's because they're getting older and slowing down or if something is wrong. I try to do the best I can to be observant and get her checked if anything is out of the ordinary. But when it kind of sneaks up slowly, it can be missed.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 05:49 PM

Johanna, so glad that you are keeping such a close eye on Aodhan. It seems a good sign that she really hasn't knuckled over since Saturday. Will you re-do the thyroid panel, perhaps? It isn't easy to know if things are just a dog gently aging or the slow onset of something new. Aodhan and Caleb have the best love and care with you and your DH. Grimmi and I are sending you all positive, healing vibes! Especially to dear Aodhan!

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 06:16 PM

It sounds though like you're on your way to figuring *something* out though! I hate the "being patient" part smile

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 10:47 PM

Yes, one of the things when she was in Monday was to re-check thyroid.
In fact, I talked to her vet this afternoon and he had results, but apparently when they sent the request in they sent it for a "post pill thyroid". Someone in the office got confused and thought she was on medication for it. He's going to check and see if they sent it in with the right request but it showed up on my bill wrong.
Don't know if it's going to make a difference in the results. The T4 was 1.1 back in March and the result they got from Monday was 1.4. If this result is correct, it seems that thyroid is OK and maybe she's been feeling lousy because of the Lyme.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/23/10 11:05 PM

The post-pill thyroid will only affect what they charge you, it's the same test with the same reading.

Certainly is moving in the wrong direction if it's low thyroid! If you added any supplements with Kelp in it, that can also mask a thyroid problem. BUT, if it's not the thyroid, good to eliminate one thing!

I'm really glad that the test caught the lyme. Now the tricky part is determining adequate treatment!

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 12:37 AM

She gets a maintenance dose of Springtime Longevity, which does have kelp in it. But she's been on that for well over a year now and we haven't changed the dose. Given the time she's been on it, would that be a concern?

If it really is a correct value, I glad we've eliminated one thing and can really focus on the other things.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 01:16 AM

I don't worry about the kelp if it's low in the ingredient list. Some of these supplements have kelp in the first couple of spots on the list, and that always concerns me a bit. I think the Longevity has it in the middle of the list?

There are lots of anecdotal reports on the tick list of thyroid problems along with the tick disease. Sometimes the thyroid resolves with tick treatment, sometimes it doesn't. I think I would just plan on keeping an eye on the thyroid for awhile. It's very likely it's winding down, but just not there yet. I had to wait and watch with Indy's thyroid - it took a couple years (I knew it was dying!) and I think I tested every 6 months. But I have had to run regular blood tests on her all her life.

If you can swing the cost, I would pursue the C6. With lyme, we are fortunate to have that measure of treatment. I think LJsMom would probably agree that it's been beneficial?

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 09:00 AM

We probably will pursue the C6. Being an chemist, I like the fact that there's something that actually can be monitored instead od treating and then just guessing as to whether it was an effective treatment. The cost can't be worse than her x-rays and Caleb's tooth extraction.

ETA: If my math is right, I think she gets roughly 32 mg of kelp in the maintenance dose of Longevity. It's actually almost at the bottom of the list.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 02:42 PM

I don't know about the dosage of kelp, of course some of that would depend on how much is in her food. It doesn't sound like a whole lot for a big dog though. In a younger dog I would be more concerned about autoimmune stuff and kelp masking, etc. In a senior, the kelp would be more supportive of a thyroid that is just getting old.

When indy was going hypo, I added kelp and it did keep her levels up higher, and they dropped when I stopped the supplement. But she is a smaller dog (35 lbs) and was getting a capsule a day, whatever that amounted to.

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
With lyme, we are fortunate to have that measure of treatment. I think LJsMom would probably agree that it's been beneficial?

Most definitely would LJsMom agree!

Re: Aodhán's Vet Visit Today - 06/24/10 05:25 PM

Thanks for chiming in Joanne!

I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/24/10 09:41 PM

Still have to talk to the vet, but Aodhán was a bit livelier when I got home from work today. I think she's feeling a little better.

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/24/10 10:12 PM

That is great news!

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/24/10 10:29 PM

Yay!! Johanna, this is great to hear! We love you, Aodhan! wub

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/24/10 11:08 PM

Response to doxy is pretty rapid. Resolution of the symptoms though is different than from the bugs, if that makes sense.

I'm so glad that she is feeling better, it's such a relief to see them get back to their norm!

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 11:18 AM

I understand what you're saying about recovery from the bugs.

I remember years back when I had a bad case of pneumonia. Doctor put me on anitbiotics that made me feel better in a day. Still had to take them for a week to insure recovery.

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 11:26 AM

Continuing to send good thoughts to your sweet girl Aodhan. Grimmi and I are wishing her a good response to the meds, and real improvements in how she is feeling. crossedfingers gsdsit

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 11:34 AM

Thanks to all.

Aodhán says she appreciates all the well wishes. smile gsdsit

I don't think that the leg weakness is all from the Lyme - although it may be contributing to the problem. But I don't want to overwhelm her right now either. I think I'm going to wait on pursuing the chiro and acupuncture until after we're sure she's over the Lyme disease.

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 02:46 PM

These bugs can affect the nervous system. With both mine, chiro treatment went well with the abx treatment, but of course every dog is an individual case. I'm just so glad that she is responding well smile

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 05:11 PM

That's an interesting point, Lisa.

I was thinking that if the leg weakness is a pinched nerve (which I do think it is) with the Lyme disease contributing that it might be easier to develop an appropriate treatment for the pinched nerve if the Lyme isn't confounding the problem. It's the analytical part of me not wanting to change too many parameters at once. grin

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 05:18 PM

You'll know by the response to the chiropractic adjustment if it made a significant difference or not. The lyme could have done something to how the joint is working (inflammation), which made it go wonky (out of alignment), so it could even be both!

BUT, you have to treat in a way that makes sense to you, I get that!

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 05:22 PM

You'll know by the response to the chiropractic adjustment if it made a significant difference or not. The lyme could have done something to how the joint is working (inflammation), which made it go wonky (out of alignment), so it could even be both!

BUT, you have to treat in a way that makes sense to you, I get that!

True that you should do things that make sense. But it's helpful to get other points of view. And we're getting big into "matrix type" experiments to gather information quickly with less testing so sometimes you have to let go of the "change one thing at a time" thought process.

Re: I Think Aodhán's feeling a Bit Better - 06/25/10 05:31 PM

smile

I try to attack each piece from several different directions at the same time (say body work with supplements). Often, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole (if I got that saying right!). With my dogs at least, I gave up on the completely logical thinking - it didn't work with them wink

Aodhán is On the Mend - 06/26/10 10:55 PM

Well, I am seeing quite an improvement in Aodhán's energy levels over the past week. She and Caleb were out for a little Chuck-it session this afternoon and she was much livelier than she was a week ago. And no signs of favoring the rear leg or knuckling. thumbup However, I had to stop the play session because Caleb started bleeding where his tooth was extracted. No Chuck-it for him for another week or so, I think. We'll have to concentrate on obedience work to wear him out. Aodhán looked quite put out that we were going in and not going to play any more. fetch

We're still going to get the C6 checked so we can be sure we've got the Lyme under control.

And I'm going to arrange for a consult with a clinic in a nearby town that does chiro and acunpunture after the 4th of July. Would do it sooner, but I'm going to have a house full of company for the 4th and need the time before to get ready. And I want to be able to go the consultation, not just send DH. That pretty much limits the time to a Saturday.

Boy, I wish I could retire and not have to go to work every day. laugh

Re: Aodhán is On the Mend - 06/26/10 11:04 PM

Aodhan's Massachusetts fanclub is cheering her on!! Chuck-it for Caleb and Aodhan sounds like a great way to celebrate her feeling better. Good for you for following up on the C6 and Lyme's. Grimmi and I are sending continued positive thoughts sweet Aodhan's way! smile

Re: Aodhán is On the Mend - 06/27/10 12:37 AM

Fantastic report on how well she is responded to the doxy!

Ideally the C6 is run near the beginning of treatment, and then again later. It is part of what determines on how long to treat.

I hear you about being able to retire just to keep up with the dog stuff, etal smile

Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 06/30/10 11:23 PM

DH told me that Aodhán was very active today. The weather was pretty mild (wish I wasn't stuck at work) and she and Caleb spent a good part of the day playing in their yard.

This evening, I took Caleb out for a walk and some obedience work. He needed the mental exercise to calm him down a bit. When I got back, DH told me that Aodhán was obviously mad that I took Caleb out and not her. So I had to get her glow in the dark Chuck It ball and take her out for a short session. Rather funny watching the ball coming back, because it was dark enough that I could only see the ball but not her. She's snoozing now with a little grin on her face. Probably because she got to go play ball and Caleb had to stay inside.

We have a consultation set up for 2 weeks from Friday at a chir/acupuncture clinic. I was trying for a bit sooner, but they're not open every day of the week and this time fit best into my work schedule.

Hope that with the Lyme treatment and some treatment to help a possible pinched nerve that she'll really be back to her old self again.

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 06/30/10 11:48 PM

crossedfingers Everything that I have is crossed that the combo of Lyme treatment and the Friday appointment will really set Miss Saucy back to feeling spunky again. Glow in the dark Chuck It sounds fun for her and Caleb! fetch Johanna, Grimm and I are sending good thoughts and vibes for Aodhan's specialist visit on Friday!

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/01/10 12:15 AM

The ball moving without seeing the dog sounds really bizarre and must have been cool to watch! I am so happy she is feeling so much better. I am of the mindset that it is often better to wean off of doxy a bit than to stop cold turkey, since it can also be an antiinflammatory, but I think that is certainly not a common thought.

Very exciting to hear about the upcoming appointment too - excellent news, hope it goes well! I have started Max with a new chiro that is closer, since he doesn't handle car rides so well anymore, and he's lovin' it. Need to work the acupuncture in there too!

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/01/10 10:42 AM

The glow in the dark ball is pretty cool. And it's easy to find when Aodhán decides she'd rather go check out a new smell or the latest chipmunk trail. But last night she was much more interested in playing and was running back almost every time for another toss.
Was it the treats or the fact that she had my undivided attention and Caleb was complaining from inside that he wasn't out there, too thinking It was great to see that much energy from her.

I'm looking forward to the chiro consultation. If she's this much improved just from treating the Lyme, it may make a big difference in her overall well being.

Still haven't talked to my vet about the C6 test. He's on vacation right now and we generally don't go in unless it's an emergency or something really routine. His partner usually only works one day a week and we're not as comfortable with him. And the relief vet - there's just no history or time to develop rapport.

Anyway, if we do the C6 it's going to almost be at the end of the current round of the doxy. MAybe not ideal since I didn't even know about the test when she was diagnosed, but I would think is still a worthwhile guide as to effectives of the treatment and if we should continue the antibiotics.

Lisa, I did get her on the liver support supplement. Should that be continued after the treatment is done?

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/02/10 01:29 PM

Always depending on what the pocket book will allow, I like to get baseline bloodwork and urinalysis on these tick dogs (including lipase values). Lyme dogs can later go on to have kidney or even pancreas problems down the road. For lyme, we are fortunate to have the C6.

I am big into liver support - I think I would give it for about a week after treatment. Before I upped the dose when the dogs here were put on drugs, I always gave it 2-3 times a week as a general rule, and in their younger years I would just give it around heartworm time.

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/03/10 12:38 AM

Hoping the best for her!

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/13/10 12:29 AM

We just finished up the last of the doxy that the vet put Aodhán for the Lyme disease. Got to get a hold of him before her chiro appointment on Friday so I can make sure we have all the reocrds we need for the visit.

She's gotten up once or twice with a little limp since this all started, but no more knuckling. I'm hopeful that with a little more TLC, we'll get a handle on what's going on with her.

In spite of the occasional limp, I almost think I've got 2 puppies in the house. crazy DH was out of town this past weekend and the 2 of them decided that it was time for puppy zoomies - in the bedroom, on my bed, at 6:30 in the morning on Sunday. hammer I was not amused, as I usually sleep in a little on the weekend. eyeroll

But she's been playing hard with Caleb the past week - puppy zoomies at least twice a day. It sounds like there's a whole herd of wild beasts running through the house. Even with the waking me up at 6:30 in the morning - I'm glad that she's feeling so much better. groovy

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/13/10 12:42 AM

YAAAYYY yay yay for Aodhan feeling so much better! Puppy zoomies and no knuckling is super! How did she tolerate the doxy? I am hoping the chiro agrees with her. May any worries soon be in the past, and your dear Aodhan be racing Caleb for glow in the dark chuck-it sessions!

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/13/10 01:22 AM

With only 3 weeks of abx treatment, I would watch for any relapse like a hawk.

If you run any bloodwork in the future, good idea to keep an eye on the kidney values, and for some dogs the lipase for the pancreas too.

I am so glad she is feeling so much better, what a huge relief! Can't wait to see how the chiropractor goes!

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/13/10 01:33 PM

Patti - I'm hoping the chiro (and possibly acunpuncture as well, this clinic does both) will make some more difference as well.

She generally tolerated the doxy OK. She was certainly not fond of it. We had to resort to stuffing it in to hot dog pieces for her to take it. That was easier than fighting her clenched jaw when I would give it to her. She had a bit of soft stool off and on while on it, but no horrible runs or anything.

Lisa - Believe me, I have every intention of keeping an eagle eye on her. Given how much more active she is right now - I'm guessing that she was feeling crappy for quite a while before we caught this.

Re: Aodhán is Feeling Very Saucy Tonight - 07/13/10 02:06 PM

That is good news!!!! Hope the improvement continues for her.

First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/16/10 10:45 PM

We went to see the new vet today and have our chiro/acunpuncture consultation. Naturally when she did the perioperception (sp?) test on the rear leg that I saw knuckling a few weeks ago, Aodhán was having no problems today. But the vet did note that 1) she was pretty excited about being in a new place that may well account for her reaction to the exam and 2) there is evidence of pain/discomfort around L4-L6 in the back.

So Aodhán had her first treatment today and she did a little adjusting and followed it with some acupuncture as well. We go back next week for another treatment.

I don't really know if it has made much of a difference, since she's already more energetic since we treated the Lyme disease. We didn't do much of anything after getting home since it's hot and humid here today and I didn't want to really run either dog in this weather.

Caleb was quite upset when I left with Aodhán and was strongly voicing his objection to being left at home (in his crate). However, I think Aodhán enjoyed her outing and personal time with me. It'll be interesting to see how she looks when she's moving after a treatment or two. I was telling DH that I have noticed that her gait seemed a little off when we're playing ball. So that's one of the things I'll be watching as we go forward from here.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/17/10 12:45 AM

Yay for a good chiro appointment for Aodhan! I'm sorry Caleb felt left out. Maybe some time with you will soothe him? Here is hoping that with the Lyme treatment behind her and regular adjustments, that Aodhan begins to improve and feel much better. With chiro, it takes time for the body to heal, so keeping up with her adjustment appointments will be a good thing. Grimm and I are sending positive, healing vibes for your special sweet Aodhan girl!

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/17/10 03:29 PM

It's nice to have separate time with the dogs, even if it is for medical stuff. Even though I took Indy to Max's treadmill last time, I try not too - I really think he enjoys "his" time.

That L4-L6 is one of the really bad areas on Max too frown

How is she feeling today?

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/17/10 08:09 PM

She seemed a little tired earlier this afternoon. DH is going to take her in to her regular vet for a recheck (for the Lyme) during the week. It's hot hereand it could just be the weather, but I want to be sure.

We just came in from a short Chuck-it session. She was happy to be out playing. And seemed a little disappointed when I said it was time to go in. (It's in the 90's here and humid so I didn't want to overdo it with either one of them.) I'm not entirely sure, but I think I see a little difference in her gait when she's running after the ball. Before, it seemed a little more cramped and slow. Tonight it seemed a little more fluid and normal.

She's got another appointment for next Friday. Should be interesting to see if there are more changes as we continue the treatment.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/17/10 08:57 PM

Some dogs will crash to some degree when taken off doxy - mine do. The ongoing debate is how much of that is continued infection, versus inflammation from the infection. So coming off of doxy may cloud things.

Instead of looking at activity level for the chiro and/or acu, you may want to key off of some other things too, how the legs or shoulders move a certain way, for example.

I hope the heat is just getting to her. Max went to a new acu vet and has been pretty low key since then - with some of these treatments, there is always the possibility that there is a slight decline after the first couple of visits. I guess it will take a few more days to see what is going on crossedfingers.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/17/10 09:55 PM

Actually, I'm more concerned that the activity level is related to the Lyme problem. It's been almost a week that she's been off of the doxy. How long have your dogs been down after coming off doxy?

One thing I know I'll be looking at with respect to the chiro/acupuncture is her gait. As I said earlier, it has seemed a little off to me and today seemed a little more normal. The other thing we'll be watching is the limping or anything signs of knuckling. The vet has recommended trying to find 3-5 areas that we can monitor to evaluate how she is doing with the treatments.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/18/10 03:34 AM

Actually, I'm more concerned that the activity level is related to the Lyme problem.

Me too.

I've had Indy crash within 2 days being off of antibiotics. Max was never that quick.

Sounds like a good plan with the chiro.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/18/10 11:57 AM

Right now the plan is for DH to get her in to see our regular vet Monday if he can get an appointment. That way we can get her checked and see if we should continue the treatment for the Lyme.

She perks up quickly enough if you mention going outside or going for a walk. But I have the feeling we need to treat for longer to get her over the Lyme. She still seems a little off to me.

Well, we're off to spend some time in the basement. It's a bit cooler down there and I'm in the middle of a woodworking project.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/18/10 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure you know my feelings on length of treatment, there are so many layers to infection. I hope your vet doesn't take your concerns lightly - so many of them do with tick diseases, even many of the better vets.

There is of course the issue that tick diseases need to be hit hard and for a sufficient amount of time even after symptoms are gone. One of the other problems is that pretty quickly after doxy hits the lyme spirochete, it can turn into a cyst form and hide from the abx. This is where I got into trouble with Indy - I treated her with flagyl for awhile to get at that, and, in her body, it had severe consequences. I have often wondered if panacur, which is an "azole" also, could get at these, but I don't know. For indy, I follow every treatment with a round of panacur. I completely made that up though, there is no proof that panacur helps.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/18/10 10:15 PM

Steel and I are believers in using the panacur to get at the Lyme cysts!

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/23/10 10:06 PM

DH took Aodhán in to our regular vet for a followup check on the Lyme and she tested negative. We'll just be keeping a close eye on her for a while.

Then she went with him up to the holistic vet for her chiro and acupuncture treatment. He said that the vet told him she actually has less muscle mass in her right hip/leg than the left, so she's concentrating a little more on that side with the acupuncture treatment.

I hope we can get out for a walk tomorrow, so I can see how she's walking. It's supposed to be another hot day in CT and we all plan on hiding in the basement for the worse part of the day. I'll be glad when it cools down a little. sunburn

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/24/10 03:43 PM

DH took Aodhán in to our regular vet for a followup check on the Lyme and she tested negative. We'll just be keeping a close eye on her for a while.....

I read this the other night, and was thinking about it for a bit. In all the years on the tick list, I don't recall a SNAP test going negative in such a short time. There may have been cases where that I wasn't paying attention to, but typically antibodies to the lyme spirochete persist for a VERY long time, which quickly renders the SNAP useless after the initial test.

I'm not sure what it means at this point!! I guess the good thing is that now you know what signs to look for if there is a relapse. And if you do bloodwork down the road, I might throw a urinalysis on, just to check in on the kidneys, during any wellness visit.

Hope it's not too scathing hot there!

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/24/10 07:39 PM

I think I need to talk to the vet directly. DH was relaying what they talked about and he's usually pretty good about getting his information right, but the bill says there is still a positive for anaplasma, but he told Randy the results were OK. And the vet did do a draw for CBC. I don't have the results of that yet - will have to call on Monday.

It's hot and we've been staying in the basement most of the afternoon. The predicted high was 96, with a heat index of 106. I know other parts of the country get worse weather than this, but in New England, that's just not comfortable and I prefer cooler weather.

Aodhán seems to be feeling OK from what I can see. Her behavior is about what I would expect, considering the heat and all. I still plan on keeping a pretty close eye on her.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/24/10 09:57 PM

..... but the bill says there is still a positive for anaplasma, but he told Randy the results were OK. And the vet did do a draw for CBC. I don't have the results of that yet - will have to call on Monday.....

If that is the case, you are in a whole 'nuther ballgame, one which can be more fatal if not treated aggressively. I hope that the bill is wrong. If it's not wrong, and your vet didn't jump on this, I would be concerned.

If you can get a copy of the bloodwork when it gets it, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/24/10 10:08 PM

If Aodhan were still positive for anaplasma, wouldn't the vet just keep her on the Doxy a few more weeks to knock it out of the ballpark? Or? Maybe it's okay, since the vet said the results were OK? I am sending good thoughts to you, Randy, Aodhan and Caleb! Grimmi sends wags. Hopefully, Aodhan wub of The Glowing Chuck-It will be feeling better soon with her treatments. Good for you for staying cooler in the cellar. We also can hardly wait for fall!

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/24/10 10:20 PM

Titers can rise when antibiotic treatment starts - it often wakes up the immune system. It's possible that the anaplamosa titer was not high enough to register on the first SNAP, but once treatment began, it rose enough to be picked up on the second SNAP. The SNAP picks up lyme at a lower titer than anaplasmosa...

I wonder if there was any "operator error?"

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/25/10 02:36 PM

Lisa,

I spoke with my husband a little more on exactly what the vet said and according to the test the C6 for Lyme was clearly negative. He thinks that the other result is a false positive based on this:

"Whole-cell antigens of the Borrelia
burgdorferi spirochete are assumed to be
rapidly sequestered by the follicular dendritic
cells (FDCs), resulting in long-lived B cell
memory."

from http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pdf...white-paper.pdf
(I understand that this particular statement is specific to the Lyme, but apparently the concept can apply to the others as well.)

And we're doing the CBC and he'd like to recheck the CBC in a month or two, depending on the results of this check.

In any event, we'll be keeping a close eye on her and continuing to monitor. While she didn't have liquid poop on the doxy, it was rather soft and sometimes not well formed. I hate to keep medicating unless there's a good reason for it.

She's energetic and there have been no signs of limping for the past couple of weeks.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/25/10 02:58 PM

On the C6 antibody in the SNAP, it's that long-lived memory which means that the SNAP takes a long time to go negative, typically.
That statement wouldn't explain why there would be a positive for anaplasmosa though?? The two tests do not cross-react.

It is not uncommon for dogs to have more than one tick disease at a time. I would consider sending blood off to Protatek for a tick panel to check titers. The SNAP is a pretty limited test.

It will be interesting to see the CBC.

Re: First Chiropractic/Acupuncture Visit - 07/25/10 03:02 PM

Energetic and no sign of limping, groovy and you and your vet seem to really be keeping on top of this. thumbup Yeah! happyboogie I'm glad that Aodhan tolerated the Doxy well with just slightly soft poop. Did you have to give pepcid with it? Doxy makes Grimm vomit. Everything here is crossed crossedfingersthat with her treatments and the chiro that Aodhan will continue to be her bouncin' an' behavin' self! penguin I remember the pics of her and Caleb on vacation, at, I think, a cabin? Those were adorable! Looking forward to seeing more of happy, healthy Aodhan and sidekick Caleb. wub

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/03/11 11:00 PM

Then she went with him up to the holistic vet for her chiro and acupuncture treatment. He said that the vet told him she actually has less muscle mass in her right hip/leg than the left, so she's concentrating a little more on that side with the acupuncture treatment. (from last July)

DH took Aodhán for her treatment on Monday and I had him ask how the muscle mass in her right hip is now that we've been working on her since last June/July. In addition to her chiro and acupuncture I've been making sure that she gets a couple of miles of walking in every day. (Except for during the worst of the winter - way too much snow and ice for either one of us.) Well the vet said there was almost no difference in the muscle mass between the two legs and she is very pleased with Aodhán's progress. So am I! I think maybe we're doing something right here and my girl is feeling way better and often behaves more like a puppy, especially when it's walk time or time to go play ball.

crossedfingers that she keeps on doing good and improving.

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/04/11 03:09 AM

That's just huge! So great when we find a way for our seniors to just keep getting better. I too hope she keeps improving laugh

eta: Just noticed the time frame - sometimes it takes some time, doesn't it? What great dedication smile

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/04/11 04:59 AM

That is wonderful news smile

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/04/11 10:01 AM

That's just huge! So great when we find a way for our seniors to just keep getting better. I too hope she keeps improving laugh

eta: Just noticed the time frame - sometimes it takes some time, doesn't it? What great dedication smile

This was the first time I thought to ask what the vet thought about the condition of the muscles in her hips. I think we've been seeing steady improvement over the last ten months. And when we started the treatments there was noticeable improvement in her gait. I'm really glad that we decided to do this for her.

(It makes me regret that I didn't do this for Rica when she was alive. But I can't go back and change that.)

I'm sure that the regular walks are making quite a difference as well - which is good for the both of us. Our neighborhood (like a lot of CT) is hilly so she gets a pretty good mix of terrain to walk over. And the subdivision above us is still largely undeveloped lots, so sometimes I take her up and we walk on the hills instead of the road. That can be a bit more of a challenge. She has pretty good leash manners, but get her on the grass and her nose goes in to overdrive and she starts pulling to get to the next neat smell. If I've got both her and Caleb with me, it's fun trying to keep them from pulling me up the hill!

And we've been trying to get some longer hikes in on the weekend with DH as well. Those are on some of the local hiking trails or on a farm road that he found a few years back. It's lightly traveled and a really quiet and peaceful kind of walk, but still has the hilly terrain to get the leg muscles working.

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/04/11 10:39 AM

Gosh, sweet Ms. Aodhan! This is great to hear! Our seniors so deserve such dedicated owners! Years ago, we didn't have such options for our beloved older dogs. And, modalities such as acupuncture are cumulative, take time to take effect. How wonderful to see such a loving, devoted, dedicated owner and a dog responding so well! YAY for Aodhan and Johanna!!

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/05/11 06:31 AM

I am hoping that Max and I follow in you guys's footsteps. He is much better than he was a year ago. We are starting a more regular program of acupuncture now, so you two can be our role models, something to aspire to. It's so much nicer when you and your dog can go out and do "stuff".

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/05/11 10:07 AM

crossedfingers That Max does well with his new program.

Aodhán is going about once every 5-6 weeks right now. DH is so impressed that he wants to look into it for himself to control a couple of issues he has.

Re: After about 10 Months of Chiro and Acupuncture - 05/05/11 04:24 PM

I love how helping the dogs can often help us to.

I'm every 3 weeks with Max. I wish I could afford to go more often, maybe every other week, but I guess this will have to do for now. Way back when, we were at the point of every 6 weeks, so I'm hoping, although he is older and more messed up, that we can get there again.

I guess thinking about my experience with Max, I would just say try not to slip and lose any ground, it's hard to get back to that spot where you were at!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/26/11 11:48 PM

Aodhán had her latest chiro and acupuncture visit yesterday and since it was a Saturday, I went up with her and DH. Even Caleb (sans conehead) got to go for the ride. DH took him for a walk while Aodhán had her treatment.

The vet said she is really pleased with her progress and feels that she is a different dog than when we started - roughly 11 months ago now. Her rear legs are much stronger than they were when we started and her back is doing really well.

Don't know if it was because I was there - or that she knew DH and Caleb had gone for a walk - but she was full of it during the treatment. Talking and a little antsy like she would have rather been out walking instead of sitting in the room. And she was yodeling as we went out the door to go meet DH and Caleb.

DH and I made appointments to go to the chiro doctor down the street from her vet yesterday, too. We told him we were so impressed with how she's doing that we thought we'd give it a try, too.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/27/11 04:48 AM

DH and I made appointments to go to the chiro doctor down the street from her vet yesterday, too. We told him we were so impressed with how she's doing that we thought we'd give it a try, too.

That's exactly how I started. After Indy's first appointment, she had such a dramatic response, that I called the chiro and scheduled the next appointment for the both of us smile

I was lucky that the chiro treats both canine and human!

That was in 2001 - chiro was such a lifesaver for Indy. I am so happy that you have also seen good results - I always feel better when they feel better thumbup

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/27/11 08:55 AM

Have you been or you are going? That is so cool smile

I always used to pooh-pooh the idea but when I had whiplash I tried EVERYTHING and was in constant pain for months so gave it a shot and a couple hours after the first appointment I was pain free!

How often does Aodhan need to go now?

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/27/11 09:21 AM

Aodhán goes to her chiro about every 6 weeks now.

We also try to plan around if we anticipate heavy exercise - like when we go on vacation we make sure she has a visit in the week before we leave. Or if Caleb has been body slamming her a lot, we might try to get her in earlier when that happens.

We haven't been yet - first visit for the consult, etc is in a couple of weeks. Since I've been getting up often with a stiff back and really feel it when I've been doing a lot of woodworking or cooking in the kitchen - on my feet for 4-5 hours on concrete or tile - I'm really looking forward to this to see if it will help.

I'm really pleased with how well Aodhán is doing. We've even got her doing some sit-ups for treats (just a second of two) to build up her core muscles. She hadn't been willing to do those for a while before we started her treatments.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/28/11 02:30 AM

You will have to let us know how you're appointment goes smile

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 06/28/11 05:49 AM

Sit-ups! wub

I do hope your appointment helps you.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/09/11 10:00 PM

Not about Aodhán - she's not due for another appointment 'til next month. But DH and I went to the chiropractor today for a first consultation and treatment.

He did some major adjustments on my neck and back and - wow - what a difference. Did a range of motion evaluation before we started and I had about 35% in my neck - where you tilt your head forward and touch your chin to your chest. After he did the adjustment - I can touch chin to chest and only feel a little pull in the neck muscles.

Adjusted my back as well and I was able to spend the afternoon in the workshop without a bad backache when I was done. It's a little sore, but he said it may feel like I had been to the gym afterwards.

DH had a few adjustments, but they're going to concentrate on acupuncture for him because it will do more good for his particular issues. He'll get a first acupuncture treatment next week as we kind of ran out of time at the appointments and there was another patient waiting.

I'm impressed.

No wonder Aodhán feels so much better since we've been doing this for her.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/10/11 04:19 AM

Johanna, I'm so glad that you had such a positive experience. It can make such a huge difference, and it sounds like you and DH found just the right person for the both of you. Great news!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 10:04 AM

Again - not about Aodhán - she's doing great as far as her back and not due for an adsjustment for another couple of weeks.

DH had his first acupunture visit last Thursday and is already seeing some differences with just the one treatment. He has some gastric issues that he hopes this will help. The doctor thinks he might even be able to get him off the meds he is on right now. And that would really please my DH, who hates having to take pills and really prefers more homeopathic medicine when its a viable option
We'll see if things continue to improve, but right now it looks encouraging.

Aodhán says hi and she'd be feeling really great if not for the sore she's developed on a rear foot due to excessive licking after I took a tick out from between two toes. Talk about a nasty place for the tick to hide. I never would have found it if I hadn't seen her licking her foot so much. She's not too happy with me right now because I'm making her wear a cone for a few days so her foot can heal. And I've been making her take Bug Off with her meals because I've found 3-4 on her inspite of preventative stuff. She doesn't like it, but will eat it as long as it's mixed in with some Primal grind.

I hate ticks. It's funny, until the last year or so I never found ticks on her but would find them on Rica. And I don't find any on Caleb. Wonder if the nasty buggers find it easier to get on her because she's a bit more sedentary than Caleb, who is on the go all the time. She's content to find a shady spot and chill out for part of the day - especially when it's hot.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 02:25 PM

Wonderful DH news! When Indy was getting acupuncture many many moons ago, it helped her digestion the most. I hope the same thing happens for your DH!

And those darn ticks. You know how I feel about them mad your sedentary theory makes sense to me.

I hope that the Bug Off works - ticks, worse than cockroaches it seems frown

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 03:53 PM

I hope the Bug Off works, too.

Aodhán came up to me yesterday morning after she had her breakfast and gave me a good dose of garlic breath sick (and I like garlic - just not that much all at once)- so this needs to be worhtwhile. rofl

We had been using Advantix and last year it seemed to work fairly well. This year not so much, although as I said, I'm not finding much of anything on Caleb. I think I found one walking on his leg after we had walked through grass on the side of the road that hadn't been cut in a while. We might try Frontline and see if it does any better, but I already had plenty of Bug Off here so figured it was worth a try.

The vet wanted me to try a new product - I don't remember what - but it was really expensive just for one dog, let alone 2.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 04:06 PM

I have been experimenting with a spray here. I didn't like using Advantix (okay, only used it once), but now with Advantix II, I'm even more leery. Garlic and sulphur makes max pee, so that's out for us. Very frustrating!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 04:33 PM

I don't think the Bug Off is bothering Aodhán in that way. She just doesn't like the taste. First time DH gave it to her, he said she gave him a look like "What the heck is this in my food?" She ate it, but it wasn't really with gusto.

Caleb doesn't care - he eats anything you give him

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/18/11 04:41 PM

Glad that they will both eat it, and can, even if she isn't exactly exuberant about it!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/28/11 10:53 PM

Aodhan says hi and she's out of the cone. She's not bothering her toes anymore.
She's due for a visit to the chiropractor next week, then to her regular vet for her annual exam. We'll probably do a thyroid check then, too, since her levels have been a little up and down this past year.

It was actually pleasant out yesterday when I got home from work, so we went out to play a little Chuck-it - a very welcome change after last weekend when it was 100+ °F. Not a weekend to spend much time outside.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/28/11 11:25 PM

Yay, she can get back to normal smile Maybe the chiro will adjust her toes too!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/29/11 05:24 AM

Hi Aodhan! smile

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/29/11 09:15 AM

I forgot to mention that the attachment is a video clip. She was having a grand time and leaping for her ball. One shot I wish I had gotten, but didn't have the camera at the time, was all four feet off the ground, with her body horizontal to the ground. Pretty good for a gal who was knuckling under on the one back foot this time last year.

DH told me that our grandson was playing with Caleb earlier that day and Aodhán wasn't too interested at the time. It may have been a little too hot for her earlier in the day because she was yodeling when I picked up the launcher to take them out and play. She actually did more fetching than Caleb. He was content to stand around chewing on his ball most of the time we were out. But he was one tired puppy later that night. Tyler wore him out during the day.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/29/11 05:10 PM

Wow, pretty great news about how well she is doing! I think she wins the award for most improved senior laugh

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 07/29/11 08:37 PM

That's great!Yay Aodhán!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/03/11 09:50 PM

Aodhán had her latest treatment on Monday of this week. She's still doing really well and the vet is pleased. She was down to 73-74 pounds from about 77 the last visit. The vet thinks this is a good weight for her, but she fluctuates a little from month to month depending on what we may be feeding at the time
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/04/11 12:18 AM

So glad to hear that Aodhán is doing so well!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/09/11 02:34 PM

DH took Caleb and Aodhán for a hike yesterday morning. It started out as a planned 5 miles or so. He told me last night that he just decided to keep going and it ended up as a 10 mile walk. Aodhán was dragging a bit for the last couple of miles, but perked up at the thought of seeing cows (they walk along a farm road).
But she was one tired puppy last night. She was looking at me and the couch - like "Can I please come up and relax with you. The couch looks so nice and soft."
She was a bit stiff it seemed when she got up off the floor. So naturally I let her come up and keep me company. I told DH that if he was going to do another 10 today to take Caleb and let her stay home. I'll give her a walk tonight after I get home from work.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/09/11 02:57 PM

I would probably be tired and want the couch too!

Good job Aodhán!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/09/11 05:05 PM

I know I would have been tired after 10 miles, too. It's not that we don't do hikes that long, but it has been a while and it's been hot and humid here. He's good about taking breaks and such, but sometimes he just gets in the mood to keep walking. I think it was a little much for her all at once. But all you have to do is say the word "walk" and she's still up and ready to go.

DH is going to a civil war event in a couple of weeks and a couple of his buddies and he are going to hike a 17 mile trail one day while he's down there - so part of this is "training" for the hike. The buddies want to do this hike in full gear, so of course DH has to do it, too. Even though he thinks they are nuts. It's not part of the event and it's likely to be hot and humid. Not a fun 17 miles in wool and a full kit - at least I don't think so.

The dogs and I are staying home and keeping cool.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/10/11 01:34 PM

The dogs and I are staying home and keeping cool.

Yes, DH is not allowed to dress up Aodhan in full gear for trainig either!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/10/11 05:01 PM

I agree.

But it would be a interesting look for her. rofl

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/25/11 10:07 AM

She's due for a visit to the chiropractor next week, then to her regular vet for her annual exam. We'll probably do a thyroid check then, too, since her levels have been a little up and down this past year.

Just a brief Aodhán update.

Aodhán went in for her annual exam a couple of weeks back and had her thyroid check. Vet says it looks good and no need to check again until next year. Course, he spoke with my DH and I didn't get specifics on the numbers. Have to follow up on that when we get a chance.
She wasn't due for rabies and I told DH to tell the vet no other shots. At 9 years old, I think she's OK. My vet doesn't quite agree with the decision, but at least he doesn't get super pushy about my choice.

And (KW) I haven't found any more ticks on her since we started the Bug-Off. Going to keep that up for now.

To anyone who looks at this and uses the Bug-Off - do you keep it up year round or stop in the winter months (especially here in the North-East)? The bottle recommends to keep them on year round, but I wonder if giving her a break for the winter is OK. She eats it, but doesn't really like the taste too much. And I could do with out the extreme garlic breathe for a couple of months. smile

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 08/25/11 09:08 PM

Good news on the update...have no clue about the Bug-Off!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 09/13/11 12:40 PM

Well, Aodhán was in yesterday for her chiro adjustment and acupuncture. Everyone continues to be very happy with how she is doing.

DH said that her vet said "She's my favorite GSD that is treated here." They really like how mellow and co-operative she is when they have her on the table for her treatment.

I don't think they've seen my bouncy yodeling girl when I get her ball out to play or get the leash out to take her for a walk fetch penguin_spin . You'd think she had never been taken for a walk before or had a chance to play ball eyeroll

But she's all adjusted and ready for vacation. We're going on a trip with the two dogs soon and timed this treatment for vacation. Oh, that's another thing deserving of yodels and bouncing around like a fool - car rides. You ought to see her if DH says they're going for a "ride-walk". hammer rofl2

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 09/13/11 03:10 PM

Thank goodness Aodhan keeps her spunky side under wraps while she's at the vet's! fetch She's such a wonderful girl, no wonder they adore her there. I'm glad she's responding so very well to her treatments. groovy Johanna, you and DH are amazing owners toget her the chiro and acupuncture. It sounds like the vet clinic is really good, too. Aodhan wub is one fortunate girl! May she totally have her groove on for your vacation! penguin_spin

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 09/14/11 01:33 AM

I love the continued great news groovy

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 09/15/11 04:02 PM

Lisa,

I think we've been very lucky that things are working out so well for her. Wish I could take some of that luck and send it to you and Max.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 09/15/11 10:01 PM

Sigh, I wish that too!! But so glad that one of us has good news!

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 03/07/12 04:34 PM

I've looked back at this thread a couple of times since Aodhán died from hermangiosarcoma. I felt that I wanted to give this a little closure.

I am so glad that we decided to get the chiropractic and acupuncture treatments for her. All in all, it wasn't that expensive after the first couple of months and it did her so much good. She was a happy, fun loving girl in her last year - not that she wasn't happy and fun loving during her life. But in the time before we started treament, she had definitly slowed down and the toe knuckling that I saw that started this all was scary to me. It was amazing to me how much difference this made for her and how much more active she became after we started the treatments.

It's something I would definitely do again for any of my dogs if they need it down the road. And I would recommend at least trying with any dog that was having back or rear end problems.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 03/07/12 05:44 PM

Just want to chime in with my total agreement with this. Max suffered from back problems and dragged one foot. I honestly believe that the acupuncture treatments are what kept him mobile for the last 18 months of his life. He also had a couple of chiro treatments. We had gone to a few hydrotherapy sessions when he passed. I wish I had started them sooner.

Re: Aodhán's Latest Chiro Visit - 03/09/12 08:20 AM

Thanks for sharing this. hugging