Commerce, GA Senior large male

Posted by: matsired

Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:16 PM

This ol' boy needs help FAST! I'm sure the petfinder pictures don't do him justice. Look at that big red head! Wish I were closer.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/12185617

Sherman is a wonderful dog who needs your help!!! As you can see from his pictures, Sherman is very thin. He has been living on the streets for some time. He is eating well now, and we're hoping he will put on weight soon. If you have ever wanted to save the life of an animal, Sherman is the dog for you! To help save him, please call the Commerce vet at 706-335-5111 and give them ID #JC8-333. Please Hurry!!!

Humane Society of Jackson County
Commerce, GA
706-367-1111

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:18 PM

Wait a minute....something's not right here....be right back...
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:44 PM

I want more Shermie updates. Stamping my feet.

Val
Posted by: georgiapeachGSD

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:55 PM

while i am slightly confused about this who thread bc of its location, I would also like to know more about this sweet old boy.
Posted by: myamom

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:57 PM

Shermie was saved a long time ago by Matsired and is living the life of a King...he is quite famous...that's why us old timers aren't confused. I'm sure Matsired is just compiling her gazillion pics to post...lol
Posted by: LifeAsMe

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 02:59 PM

LOL...I saw it and thought "geez...that looks just like Shermie. what are the odds?"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:00 PM

oh ok! well then, thats WONDERFUL news!!! I am much happier now...I was thinking I was going to have to get a bed made up at my house! wink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:15 PM

"Sorry, I think my mom was a little CONFUSED when
she posted that old petfinder link above."

"Yup, just another SENIOR moment, Sherm. You see, this guy is SAFE, and adopted by ME."

"And I'm supposedly the OLD one around here?"

"Anyway, if you check back periodically, we'll fill you in on how
I transformed from a skinny southern wormie bear, to a burly northern grizzly bear."

"And with lots of pictures, of course."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:26 PM

omg he is gorgeous!!! He has this face that just makes me smile. Like a wise old man with some snappy comebacks to say or something. Thank you for everything you did for him! How very lucky he is! wub <tears>

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
I want more Shermie updates. Stamping my feet.

Val

It's not all good news, Val and all, but not all bad either. I'm going to start with the very latest update on our Shermie Bear, with the most recent photos to follow later.

Sherman was having some difficulty last week. He could no longer rise from a reclining position, and staggering (with recent history of limping on left side) when he walked. I took him to my vet, and she decided to put him on a trial of Rimadyl.

Then, an email to foster mom, Amy, a few days later:

On Apr 10, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Donna Joseph wrote:

Came home from work to find Sherman lying in poop and urine this am. Walked him with sling, very painful for him. Tried to settle him on bed, restless. Tried snuggling with him on bed, felt him shivering, whimpering.

SO, took him over to Angel Memorial Animal Hospital. They admitted him. They feel he has neurological thing going on. Workup will include xrays, bloodwork, neurological evaluation and then we go from there. Should know more later today.

He walks with ataxia, and then legs splayed when he lies down. Unable to tolerate his left side. They are thinking along the lines of spinal tumor/clot/herniated disc? Something very acute.

Kills me because we got every single problem he arrived with under control. Heartworm free and no more itchies, off all medications. We were cruising.

I've got to think realistically. I don't think I'll take him through an MRI, because I don't think I'd treat any of the associated problems. I'm hoping they will be able to help me manage his pain and take him home.

Well, been awake since yesterday and heading back to work tonight, so off to bed I go. Will keep you posted. Sorry I don't have better news. frown

And then latest update:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Donna Joseph wrote:

I picked Sherman up yesterday am after work. Paul (and Star) met me at the house, thankfully, because I couldn't get him out of the car by myself.

Thankfully, he's not a dog that requires much exercise, so for the past 24 hours, he's been happily glued to his bed other than short trips outside to go potty.

He can weight-bear on all fours, but is ataxic. Even with coaxing, he cannot get up by himself nor can he use the stairs, and so that is where most of the workload is on my end. He is resting comfortably in front of me on his bed. I've ordered a high indoor/outdoor orthopedic bed so it will be easier to get him up and off the bed. I wish someone made something on wheels so I could wheel the bed to the door, but I'll probably create something. Right now I drag the bed over to doorway, as he becomes incontinent of urine as soon as he's in an upright position. He's also incontinent of stool, but I think that's because he can't use his legs to bear down when he's walking. I do NOT think he's got sphincter involvement.

I could go on forever maintaining him like this, but only as long as he's comfortable. So far, he's not showing any signs of pain while he's at rest. Last night at bedtime, I gave him pain meds to help him rest just in case.

I'm hoping for a 'Charly' outcome. Although I'm a realist, this story is at the forefront of my mind now, thanks Sinclair, and to all for your support.

I don't want to bog down anyone's email with Sherman as I know all of you are incredibly busy with rescue work, so I'll get him posted on the forum again. It's been very helpful to be able to vent, especially during acute (shocking) phase of all this.

*Quoted from his paperwork that Angel Memorial sent home with me (along with a bill for $747.28):

Summary: Sherman presented to Angel Memorial Animal Medical Center for evaluation of difficulty walking acutely since Wednesday. Sherman was admitted to the hospital for further diagnostics to include bloodwork (CBC/Chem/thyroid panel/UA and urine culture) and a consultation with our neurology service. Results of bloodwork show evidence of chronic inflammation likely related to Sherman's chronic skin issues. Urinalysis was unremarkable and results of thryroid panel and urine culture are still pending.

Sherman has dry eye and does not produce enough tears in his eyes...

The consultation with our neurology service was suggestive of a neck related spinal disease process, likely a disc or blood clot, with no evidence of pain. At this time, you have decided not to pursue additional diagnostics (MRI or CT scan) and wish to keep Sherman comfortable at home with a good quality of life. Please do the following at home for Sherman:

1. Rest. Please rest Sherman over the next 2-3 weeks. He can be allowed on leash walks for elimination purposes, but should not be allowed to run, jump, or rough house.

2. Prednisone: Please give Sherman 1 tablet (20mg) by mouth every 12 hours for 7 days, then give him 1 tablet by mouth once daily for 7 days and then every other day for 7 doses. This is a steroid medication and side effects include increased urination and drinking. His next dose is due tonight.

3. Tramadol: At this time Sherman does not appear painful. If you feel that he is uncomfortable at home, please give him 2 tablets by mouth up to every 8 hours. This is an opoid type pain medication and the side effects include sedation.

4. Triple antibiotic ointment. Please apply 1/4 inch strip of triple antibiotic eye ointment to Sherman's left eye every 12 hours to help treat any conjunctivitis that he may have. His next dose is due tonight.

Sherman is a very sweet boy and I have enjoyed working with him. If you have any questions, please call 617-522-7282.

Danielle Berube DVM

"Just another curve ball in ol' Shermie boy's life."
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:56 PM

Oh Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about Shermie's most recent problems. I sincerely hope he pulls through this somehow but if he doesn't I know you will take the absolute best care of him possible. Big hugs to you and your pack!
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 03:58 PM

handsome!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 04:00 PM

i am sorry to read all his health problems. It makes me sad. Really should help wake some people up to know that cute fuzzy puppies get old eventually and those old dogs will need some extra help and love...lots of strength for his continued life with you. ((hugs))

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 04:03 PM

Well Shoot. Donna you are right not the update I wanted on Shermie Bear, but no matter what is going on or how long he has he will always have you to be thankful for.

This picture speaks Volumes for the love that you have for each other.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 04:47 PM

I'm a little broken up about all this but, young or old, there are going to be good times and hard times.

When I initially adopted Sherm, sight unseen, I expected a dog who would need hospice care. So we've been blessed, truly.

Should he have permanent loss of function, on any level, as long as he is comfortable and happy, we will push on.

I prayed I would not have to make any on-the-spot decisions at Angel Memorial the other day. He was shaking so much from the pain that I initially wondered if I might be missing something and maybe he was going into shock. Being able to take him home was pure joy and relief.

What we have now is more time. Priceless.

"Ok, I admit it, life is a beach right now (ah, the good old days)."

"Mom says it's easiest when you endure your struggles together, as a TEAM."

"If we're such a great TEAM, how come I'm the ONLY one who is sent out to get the ball for us?"
Posted by: Charlotte

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 05:48 PM

Shermie bear wub

Happy for an update but sad to hear is not doing great. frown

hugging
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 06:01 PM

Aw, Sherm. You are such a gallant old soul. hugging I love to see your pictures. Feel better, baby boy.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 09:45 PM

Awww...sorry to hear what you and Shermie are going through. I know you will keep him happy and comfortable...as you always have...he's in great hands and very loved...and has been given the best mom ever. Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers for much health, comfort and happiness.

hugging
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/12/10 09:59 PM

Shermie wub is truly a miracle dog. (the only dog to instantly give Grimm what he needed to calm and settle when meeting another dog) Sherman is my hero! wub Sherm is a miracle dog for other reasons, too- he is wise, understanding, patient, and so in love with his Mom. In his eyes you can read that he knows that he has the best life possible for a senior dog in need of loving care. Donna pulls out all the stops for wonderful Sherman, and he returns her love with all of his great heart.

May this current setback be something that will resolve, settle down with the prednisone and house rest. Donna, positive healing energy flowing out to Shermie now. Wishing for him to rally and improve and gradually begin to see return of function. Such a loved dog, soulful eyes, golden-buttered-toasty coat, graceful long legs...can I say that I'm in love?

We love you, Shermie Bear. Positive healing energy is on the way! Wishing you strength, Donna! hugging
Posted by: Kris

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/13/10 11:28 AM

I too hope this is just a small setback. He's a tough 'ole guy and I won't be a bit surprised if he rallies. The pictures are priceless as is this very special boy. Gosh I've missed your pictures - hope you can keep posting more of our dear Shermie Bear!

Donna, I have my Chewbacca shirt on today. It's so faded you can hardly tell what the picture is, but I know - and that's all that matters...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 01:40 AM

Thank-you all. He has not shown any changes in his physical abilities, good or bad, but he does seem much more comfortable. I've been using the Tramadol liberally, especially at night, so he can rest better. With all the water he drinks and being back on Prednisone, we are changing wet linens frequently.

I forgot to mention that he lost 12 pounds over the past month or so. We've treated for parasites. Now we wait to see if he can put the weight back on, and luckily, still has a great appetite.

"Meet my new set of legs."

"If I sit here long enough, somebody is sure to stop and tell me how cute I am."

"Oh, my gosh, you are incredibly adorable."

"See? A man's cool set of wheels, great chic magnet."

"Dad, come quick, you've got to see this."

"Just my luck, married with children."

"Excuse me, I've been very sick, and mom says TREATS are high on the priority list now."

"GREAT. There goes the rest of his steak and cheese sub,
into my favorite trash can waaaaay over there."

To be continued...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 01:54 AM

wub Shermie wub in the ultimate high-class senior permabulation conveyance! Oh Donna, these photos are precious! Your captions as always are perfect! The photos really draw me in, I just fall deeper in love with him! The surf and sand, kiddies, fresh air, and his royal Southern Charm enjoying his boardwalk audience! *swooooon THUD!* The wisdom in those far-seeing eyes, the adorable big head and giant paws-- even his toenails are butterscotch-colored! wub His expression says that he is cherished and knows it.

Here is wishing Shermie begins to respond to the prednisone and house rest, and begin to regain a bit of function in time. Hoping he enjoys the offered snacks and puts on weight well. Grimm suggests the drive-thru! gsdbeggin popcorndrink

Wishing you a sense of strength and peace Donna, I understand how stressful can be changing linens and caring for a convalescing large senior. Shermie has the best caretaker in you and he knows it!

Beaming positive thoughts to you and Shermie Bear. Glad the tramadol is helping, now c'mon pred and house rest, do your stuff! Sending healing vibes for the much-adored Shermie Bear!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 08:47 AM

I can't say anything more perfect than Patty...

so..I'll just say that Shermie looks so happy and content...he has a beautiful life...and just adding a hug and more thoughts and prayers hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 09:05 AM

wow...these pics just helped the pure sorrow i am wracked with this morning after looking through the "urgent" section.

that is some stroller, wow!!! And I thought my sit and stand XLT was big! haha!!!

i am so glad i get to know him now, i can see why you are so in love with him.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 11:04 AM

Yes, Robin, Shermie does have a way of lifting spirits.

Patti, you look at Shermie same way I do, admiring every single aspect of his total being. Guess it also helps that you've been around him and can appreciate his wonderful temperament.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, Mary Ann. We are prepared for whichever way this goes. But I've learned through the years, it's really what you DON'T see coming that will knock you off your feet, hehe.

"Melissa, how did you get down THERE?"

"All you have to do, Sherm, is JUMP down, like this."

"She's still so young and innocent, and had NO idea all the help I'd need getting down here."

"Sherm, want me to find you a special beach treasure?"

"Ah, Mr. Sandman strikes again!"

"Abrakadabra, make my Shermie Bear feel all better."

"Ready, Sherm, watch this."

"Perfect cartwheel, just for you gramps."

"Look, Sherm, a new friend."

"Sorry, you're cute, but I'm really not up for company today."

"I'm sorry, my grampy and I are not up for company today."

"Pssst. Low tide=big mud bath. Bet THEIR mom's gonna' be happy tonight."

"Hey, I smell hot dogs."

"Bet you're going to love riding in your new carriage from now on, Sherm."

Old dog. Young student. Great teacher. Adopt a senior.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 11:19 AM

" it's really what you DON'T see coming that will knock you off your feet"

Agree totally Donna...we accepted Cheyenne prepared for what may be down the road...so every stride, smile, the small things, the beautiful moments....are a bonus...a blessing. You learn to make the most of every day.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 11:36 AM

I can't quit looking at this picture... wub

Donna - thank you for these pictures and the always clever captions. I can not believe how big Melissa has gotten! Always protecting and caring for "her" dogs - what a special little girl...

Hoping for better days and that Shermie will rally. But we all know that no matter what happens he absolutely could not be in a better place than with you... hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 12:04 PM

The wisdom, patience, and calm understanding in those diamond-shaped eyes. wub Shermie is still teaching, still spreading his magic. If ever there was a dog to make people crave adopting a senior, Sherman is it!

Adorable is his grace and Zen in accepting my petting of his golden-toasty-furred body: "Yes... yes.. I am pretty wonderful, aren't I..." wub He knows it!

I agree Donna, that Sherm has a wonderful temperament, but there's something more to him. He has a way of somehow accepting the foibles of others as if he simply understands and knows that we'll mature in our own time, on our own paths, too. Elegant and dignified, Shermie is also the dog who understands that sometimes a quiet strength helps calm a situation.

More positive healing energy streaming out for Shermie today. These pictures and captions have given me so much joy and gladdened my heart! The french fry picture is perfect-- what a happy fellow! Beaming warmth and support to you Donna, and healing energy to sweet Shermie Bear.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 12:38 PM

"Ho-hum, I'm tired of spending so much time on my sick bed."

"NOT that we don't love our quality family time, mom, but we're just sooooo BORED."

"After all she does for them, HOW RUDE."

"Oh, my gosh, now THIS is what I call, QUALITY TIME."

"Aren't you glad I SPOKE UP for us, Matsi?"

"Hopefully, that bone will keep him from speaking AT ALL for awhile."

"Cool, ONE for now, ONE for later."

"TWO bones, GOOD, that should keep the whining down to a minimum today."

"Shoot, but what if someone snatches my BACKUP bone while I'm sleeping?!"

"Hmmmm, maybe best to stick with living in the present, and CHEW QUICK."

"Yuk, are his GUMS bleeding?"

"Maybe we can do this EVERY DAY while I'm in recovery, huh mom?"

"Quick, somebody get me an emesis basin."

"I just love how quality family time brings us all so much closer together."

"Let him tell that to his DENTIST."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 04/15/10 06:35 PM

rofl These are fantastic, Donna! Your photos are always such a treat! Shermie has the best life any recovering senior could ever have! His deep contentment as he hits his Zen space while noshin' on his bone, hogging the other one under his elegant yet massive golden paw for later! Glossy chatty adorable Matsi, sweet dear Dukie, and Charlie Brown kitty with his happy, smug, contentedly sarcastic commentary! wub Your fur crew truly have the life, Donna! thumbup I love these pictures, the rich tones and colors just pop in Charlie's markings and his knowing fe-lion celadon green eyes. The warmth and contentment of the family scene is as if we were there! Your photos always draw us in. The emesis basisn comment is priceless! rofl

Continuing to send healing thoughts for a steady recovery for beloved Shermie Bear, wub king of comfy dog mattresses, purple deluxe carriages at the seaside, french fry treats, and gracious genteel Southern host of tasty bone-chewing parties!
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/01/10 09:43 PM

Just wondering how Shermie is doing.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/01/10 10:27 PM

Shermie's loyal devoted fanclub is pulling for him. wub wub wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/03/10 03:04 PM

I'll have photo update later, but Sherman is doing as well as can be expected.

Last Saturday, he was in so much pain in his neck and foreleg and with new deficits that I considered euthanizing him at the vets, but couldn't follow through with it. Instead, we upped his meds to maximum dosages, and he has been having better days, definitely more comfortable. But we are titrating his Prednisone back down again, so we'll see how things go from here.

He's been on 80mg of Prednisone per day and 200mg of Tramadol every 8 hours as well as Doxcycline, and now 40mg of Prednisone and 150mg of Tramadol every 8 hours.

Some nice photos of Shermie Bear later.
Posted by: Strana1

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/13/10 09:35 PM

Hi Donna,

Just stopping by to see how Shermie Bear is doing. Hugs to you and your pack.

Dawn
Posted by: katieliz

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/14/10 12:13 AM

i have been thinking about shermie all day long. is everything okay donna? hugs to him and you too. update when you can please...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 02:42 PM

"Hello all, just wanted to stop by and let you know things are improving now,
although I still have a right foreleg deficit with the injury being high in my neck."

"Initially, I hurt all over and mom was very worried about me."

"Eventually, I became more comfortable BUT, can someone help me get up?"

"SO humiliating, not being able to get up to do my business during my recovery!"

"With my right foreleg being so painful and numb, I often favored my left foreleg."

"Even though I could still move the right one when I really wanted to."

"Ooops, I think I'm due for a bed change."

"Did I mention my mat was a great way to keep me safe during my mini-baths in case I fell?"

"Don't you wish you had a comfy bed mat like this?"

"One day, mom came home to find I had been trapped on the hard floor, and bled into my left callous, OUCH!"

"Compare to my right leg callous. Both photos taken five days after incident."

"But I am feeling SO much better now, thanks to medication and lots of rest."

"AH, the comforts of home, and being part of a loving family, in sickness and in health."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 03:20 PM

wub wub wub wub wub wub wub Donna, thank you so very much for this gift of a sweet SHERMIE update!! (not that I'm wildly, insanely in love with him or anything..) wub wub wub wub wub

Donna, these compelling, beautiful photos show the warmth, care and expert spoiling that Sherman is drinking in. Love, family, and being cared for, he knows that he's got it made. These photos show an incredibly sweet family tableau as much as the superior knowledgeable care for a senior dog in recovery. Matsi, Dukie, and-- is that Ginger's head resting in the kitty cube up there?-- they all look so very deeply loved. Especially the King of The Castle Himself!

It's so much work to care for an ill senior, and you are doing phenomenally. I love these pictures. I love you and Shermie, too! hugging Thank you for the update on our favorite Southern charmer!

PS-- I love his happy, smug, content expression in the pic with his red ball in his mouth! grin

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 03:35 PM

Cheyenne says she's in LOVE! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:01 PM

"On Sunday, mom took me for my first adventure in many weeks."

"While relaxing along the river, something caught my attention."

"So I sat up to investigate (yes, all by myself)."

"Then, I belched out a most ferocious bark."

"Not getting the response I had hoped for, I decided to walk over (yes, all by myself) to investigate."

"Is he bothering you, Star?"

"He's cute."

"I think I chased him away."

"Yup, GONE, old dog and cute man, too."

"Don't worry, Tara, ol' Sherm is on the lookout for more intruders."

"Looks like the coast is clear."

"Luckily, my legs are working pretty good today."

"And I can walk myself back..."

"To my treasured seat of serenity."

"I'm glad you are feeling well enough to go on adventures again, Shermie Bear."

"I'm just glad I can WALK again, comfortably."

"Coming mom? I'll still need your assistance to get back into the car."

"Don't worry, I'm still with ya, my friends."

"OH, and I'm still with YOU, my friends!"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: myamom
Cheyenne says she's in LOVE! wub

"Ooops, I hope Matsi didn't overhear, that ANOTHER WOMAN is chasing me."

"RUN, Cheyenne, RUN!!!"

"Pssst, Cheyenne, I'm definitely interested, but we may need to meet secretly. I'm open to suggestions."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Donna, thank you so very much for this gift of a sweet SHERMIE update!! not that I'm wildly, insanely in love with him or anything..

"I wuv wu woo, watti."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:34 PM

wub happyboogie rofl rofl

The Ladies' Man is doing so much better-- thanks to ideal nursing and his amazing strong spirit! Look at him moving about on his own-- this is amazing, inspiring. Wow! More good days ahead for ShermieBear. We love Shermie adventures. WE LOVE SHERMIE!! Look at tara smiling at him. wink He knows he's The Man!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:35 PM

ROFL!! rofl Funny sweet dear precious Shermie HUNKster!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 04:51 PM

"So happy you find me amusing, auntie Patti."

"And Dawn, Katherine, Johanna, thanks for asking about me and I'll try to come back soon with hopefully, more good updates."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 05:52 PM

ya always make me cry donna (not an easy thing to do). when you have a minute (IF you ever have a minute), check out my caesar-boy's surgery story. you're pictures have ben the inspiration for me to tell things from his point of view.

i love sherman. thanks so much for the update.

http://caesar-the-road-pirate.blogspot.com

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 05:53 PM

There is the Bear. Hey friend we missed you. I am so glad you are doing better. Distinguished gents like you need to be out enjoying the sunshine and chasing away other dogs from your dog friends.

Thanks Donna for a look into Shermie's life.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 06:32 PM

Whew...such a relief to see Shermie up and walking and talking again. Thanks for taking such good care of him Donna!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 08:05 PM

So happy to see him smile and move again!

If his ellbow callus is getting sore from lying down most of the time and also lying unevenly from favoring the left front leg:
http://www.dogleggs.com/files/adjustable.cfm
I'll post this under Senior Health Care, too.

Feli would be very proud of you and him!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 08:29 PM

Glad to see that Shermie is doing so much better. happyboogie

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 09:11 PM

Shermie bear wub so glad to see he is doing better. happyboogie
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 11:10 PM

What a transformation!!!

I swear, if people could just see what a little love, care and compassion will do for these babies..

What a wonderful job you are doing with him!

From one senior's mommy to another - THANK YOU!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/15/10 11:43 PM

Donna, I too never fail to shed a tear when I'm looking at your pictures and reading the captions. I can't tell you how happy I am that Shermie is feeling better. You are a wonderful and loving caregiver, and for that reason Shermie is still with us. What a great update...

That big lug is one handsome boy!! Just look at this face... wub wub wub wub wub wub

Posted by: Hatterasser

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/16/10 02:40 AM

I've been gone from perusing the internet and especially here for some time so I've missed this thread until tonight...and what news not to have known until now.

Shermie, the wise and wonderful, has always been right from the first picture you gave us, Donna, one of my all-time favorite dogs. I've read the entire thread and was so happy to see him walking in the latest pics that I realized tears were running down my face. Bless his heart, for whatever time is given him, he will live it to the fullest, Shermie-style. I just love him so much, especially that sage look of his, as though he has the wisdom of the world inside his head and heart.

And the care you give him is so unconditional, and I'm sure he knows it, too. Just a side thought...I'm stocked up on Tramadol too. I think it's a hoot that Shermie and I take the same meds. Just a pair of ancient old souls trying to live a reasonably comfortable life. *grins*

Give him a gentle hug from me, please. And thanks for keeping us updated on his state of being.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/16/10 03:40 AM

Wow, just found this thread, what an amazing journey, and what a wonderful boy wub

Wondering if you would ever consider a certified chiropractor? An incident much like Shermie's is what caused her to spend over $10,000 necessary for her to get the K9 training for chiropractors. She's a chiro for humans, but one day her dog had a similar experience as Sherman, but he laid there, unable to move anything. I don't remember what caused her to think neck, but she debated about it awhile, knowing that she hadn't ever adjusted a K9 neck like that before, but also knowing that there really weren't many options at that point. She adjusted her dog, who then lay there for several hours, and then got up and walked and recovered fine. After that she then got her K9 certification. The drugs that Shermie has had certainly helped with that inflammation, but getting at the sublexation would help even furthre.

In any event, he is a regal boy, and so glad that he is doing much better - what a testimony to love and care!
Posted by: Lexi

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/16/10 02:17 PM

Great job, on Shermie, the pictures, the captions, and this thread! I may be new, but I had to comment. Shermie made me laugh, cry, laugh, cry, cry, and laugh again. What a sweet and dignified beautiful old soul he is. I LOVE him!!! wub Thank you for sharing your love and life together (and inspiring ME to love him, too)!
Posted by: galadybug

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/27/10 10:18 AM

Glad you are feeling better Shermie! We all love you and your adventures! wub
Posted by: Diana H.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 05/27/10 01:52 PM

Awesome job!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/01/10 04:34 AM

donna, shermie's been on my mind lately...how's he doing?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/12/10 03:33 AM

has anyone heard from donna? sherman is still on my mind.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/12/10 12:36 PM

Ooops, sorry for the worry. Just got home from work and spotted an email from Sarah pushing for an update. I've been telling myself every day to update, trying for more pictures, but too busy with family stuff, so here's a non-pictorial update.

He's doing FABULOUS, living his dream life again. I missed the GSRNE picnic this year to drive to Cape Cod to help out my dad, and brought all three dogs with me. I thought it would be a long boring day for them, but that day I took my dad out and we explored together, and discovered a dog-friendly sand dune that we drove out on. They had a blast in the water, and Sherman seemed revitalized by the sandy playground.

Awhile later, we stopped for errands, and I stepped outside the store to find my dad had finished his errands ahead of me, now waiting impatiently for me at the passenger door. I had always described my dogs to my dad as one being shy, one being stubborn, and one being bossy. Well, there was Sherman, who had crawled into the passenger front seat while we were gone, and wasn't responding to my dad's demands to 'MOVE'. Then my dad sarcastically remarked, he must be the stubborn one. Of course, the front seats were soaked with sloppy fur now, and all that swallowed sea water can be very gassy to their poor tummies. The whole scene was pretty amusing, if only to me.

Anyway, the dogs and I ventured out for another beautiful day yesterday, and Sherman walked about 1/4 mile down to the beach. He's getting so much stronger, some days still better than others. He really continues to amaze me.

By the way, we are left with Prednisone 20mg every other day now, and Tramadol for pain as needed, which he gets a few times a week. He also continues to wear his harness, even while swimming, and especially around stairs, to assist him when he shows signs of fatigue.

I don't think there's a more relaxing image than to watch my three dogs frolicking at the shoreline. I look forward to sharing those pictures with all of you as soon as I can. This coming week is looking pretty good so far, once I'm past work, a christening, and a graduation party, ugh. Off to my crib now.

"We'll be BACK."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/12/10 06:24 PM

We love you, Shermie!! wub You too, Donna! hugging Thank you for the update on Mr Proud n Stubborn! rofl I am delighted to hear that sweet, precious, handsome adorable Shermie is doing better! Of course, he has the best rehab nurse ever! Sherman's devoted loyal fanclub goes wild at the updated news! party Donna, please know that your pictures and words touch so many hearts. Sherman, and all of your wonderful, loving dear seniors, are inspirations! gsdsit

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/12/10 06:25 PM

Glad to hear Shermie Bear is doing well.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/12/10 06:43 PM

Thanks for updating us, so happy to hear how well he is doing!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/13/10 02:25 PM

Lovin' that Shermie-Bear. So glad to hear he is doing better. Give him a gentle hug for me.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/13/10 09:17 PM

It's always good to hear how Shermie is doing and that he's doing so well. wub
Posted by: SouthernThistle

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/14/10 04:19 PM

Ah, there's the Herculean Hunk! smile

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/14/10 04:30 PM

Patti always says it so well...

Quote:
Donna, please know that your pictures and words touch so many hearts. Sherman, and all of your wonderful, loving dear seniors, are inspirations! gsdsit

SUCH GTREAT NEWS THAT SHERMIE IS DOING SO WELL!!! party

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/17/10 08:13 PM

Great to hear everyone, especially Sherman is doing well!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading updates on this big old guy! smile

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: katieliz
ya always make me cry donna (not an easy thing to do). when you have a minute (IF you ever have a minute), check out my caesar-boy's surgery story. you're pictures have ben the inspiration for me to tell things from his point of view.

i love sherman. thanks so much for the update.

http://caesar-the-road-pirate.blogspot.com

Katherine,

I just got onto your blog and read about Ceaser, so glad is doing better, and also about Shepster, who passed with Hemangiosarcoma recently. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was quite handsome, big head and gorgeous coloring.

Sherman also passes on his condolences, and says thank-you for all your kind words. BTW, I love Michigan, with relatives in Jackson, and lived in Wisconsin for a few years. Best thunder storms I've ever experienced when I lived along the lake, and best winter wonderland scenes, too!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 05:12 PM

The Shermie Bear Fanclub, Massachusetts Chapter, is cheering Sherman on! party Donna, each update means so very much. You've given of your heart to such a wonderful caring wise dog, then you share his magic with us... and we're all the better for it! Thank you, dear friend! hugging Grimmi sends Sherman a very subdued, amazingly polite lick! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 05:32 PM

"Thank-you guys, for caring so much about me."

"Let me ask you something, do you believe in miracles?"

"Oh no, do we have to listen to the 'I was blessed with a miracle' story again for the umteenth time?"

"Anyway, you guys know I was really sick, right? And mom had almost given up hope?"

"I was in SO much pain, that mom pleaded for more help from the vet."

"Yeah, yeah, the same vet that was supposed to come to the house to put him to sleep,
but obviously, THAT never happened."

"Because my little guardian angel arrived just on time to save me."

"You have been SUFFERING tremendously and can't WALK so well anymore, Sherm?"

"How the heck did she know that?!"

"Pssst. Angels know EVERYTHING, Duke!"

"You shall be HEALED, grampa Shermie Bear."

"Now for the REAL test. Here comes papa, little red ball."

"Look, I'm CURED!"

"Hmmm, is that an EDIBLE rabbit in your cage, my angel?"

"Sorry guys, she said she doesn't cure HUNGER pains."

"But for you Matsi, I shall send lots of red balls from heaven."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 07:10 PM

"Hey, Matsi, what's up with Sherman, I thought he was so much stronger now?"

"WHO are you calling WEAK, Duke?"

"I played for hours on end today, wouldn't you guys agree I have a right to feel a little fatigued?"

"Earlier today, we visited our favorite peninsula at low tide for the first time in a long time."

"It felt really good to be able to swim with my friends again."

"Looks like we have some company."

"We all ran down to see who infiltrated our turf."

"Just a bunch of hungry fishermen."

"Who decided to move on to more prosperous pastures."

"It's really hard to predict the weather today, huh guys?"

"On one side of the peninsula, the clouds are rolling in."

"But on the other side, lots of overcast lighting!"

"C'mon Mr. Sunshine, let's check the place out some more."

"Hey, where did everbody go?"

"C'mon, Duke, let's go see if Sherman remembers how to play Hide'N Seek."

"Oooops, he found us already."

"RUN, he'll NEVER catch us!"

"Quickly, he's a lot faster than we gave him credit for, RUN!"

"Um, don't look back, he's right behind us."

"Stay tuned for more adventures of Shermie Bear after the weekend."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 07:55 PM

We're hanging eagerly on every word-- and glorious picture! Yay Shermie and Matsi and Dukie! My goodness, Shermie has my heart in his paws. What a miracle dog he is! He has the best caregiver ever, and with so much love, he is thriving in his happy pack on fantastic outings! The peninsula, the sand, fresh air, free running with his pals-- Sherman deserves these lovely adventures! Donna, you rock! Thank you for such an engaging, compelling update. Nobody does it like you! Shermie Bear Fanclub, Massachusetts Chapter, continues to cheer Shermie on! party Grimmi continues to send the gentlest, softest of licks to you, Shermie, Matsi and Dukie. wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 08:03 PM

Wow, awesome and inspiring wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 08:55 PM

Donna, I think you are the angel. Great pictures and captions, I fel like I am right there watching your crew.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 10:05 PM

What a man! Call me my love!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/18/10 10:53 PM

Quote:

Oh Mary Ann...how sweet and funny! rofl

Donna - just amazing what you've done for Shermie - and I know it took a lot of will on his part too. He's got too much juice left in him - places to go and people to see. What a wonderful update!

And just look at Duke! Another amazing story.

And Matsi...so beautiful... wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/20/10 08:27 PM

donna your pictures are just BREATHTAKING and your captions are truly wonderful! i have been having a bit more trouble than i expected with the loss of the shepster, and these pictures brought not only a smile to my face but several laughs right out loud. thank you so much for sharing your gifts (both artistic and animal), with us!
Posted by: VJT

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/21/10 08:31 PM

Great to see Shermie again! Vanessa

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/22/10 08:48 PM

I have tears in my eyes!!!

I can't believe the transformation and seeing him so happy and playful!!! WOW!!!

There are some miracle workers on this board that's for sure..

I think a blind date between Shermie and Chey is in order... wink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/24/10 09:56 PM

Shermie, How can you resist that face?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/25/10 11:48 AM

"Gosh golly gee, she's absolutely lovely."

"Wait, maybe I'm just having a white dream."

"Hmmm, but if she IS real, wonder if she's pure, or tainted?"

"IN FACT, I wonder if she's busy this weekend."

"Wait, what if she doesn't like REDheads."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/25/10 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: matsired
[quote=myamom]

rofl2 LOVE IT!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/25/10 04:16 PM

wub wub wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/25/10 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlotte
[quote=matsired][quote=myamom]

Shermie, No one can resist a REDhead.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/25/10 10:42 PM

wub wub wub wub wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 02:18 AM

omgosh donna you are just so, so wonderful with these pictures and captions. another night when you made me laugh right out loud (and once again i needed that laugh pretty badly)...white dream...hysterical...the expressions are priceless, the headshots isolated against the blue sky divine. just simply beautiful and touching once again!

dear dear shermie bear, bless your heart you sweet boy.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 03:00 AM

I just love the photo's and captions!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 05:14 AM

Ha ha ha!!!!!! rofl Awesome! wub Shermie!!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 03:33 PM

Cheyenne and Shermie wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 04:08 PM

sitting in a tree...

K.I.S.S.I.N.G.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 06/28/10 08:09 PM

First comes love.....

No baby carriage for these two.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/05/10 03:37 AM

long time with no shermie updates. how's he doing?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/17/10 09:57 PM

been watching for an update, hope everyone's just busy with end-of-summer stuff and that everything's okay...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/17/10 10:17 PM

Shermie Groupies unite! smile I am hoping that Donna is just busy as you suggest, Katieliz, and wishing all is well with both Donna and dear Shermie, our beloved Mr. Southern Charm.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/21/10 12:06 AM

Sher...mie! Sher...mie! Sher...mie!

Come on, big boy, show your face. We miss you.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/22/10 09:43 AM

All is well in the world of Shermie Bear, and there will be quite a few updates in next few days as his mom is on v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n and finally has some time. So stay tuned. grin

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/22/10 10:44 AM

The Shermie Fanclub goes wild! party Thank you for updating, Donna. We love and miss you, too! hugging Grimmi sends his overenthusiastic greetings to The Sherm! penguin

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/23/10 02:23 AM

yay, all's well in shermie-land. waitin' for the updates!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 09/23/10 12:59 PM

WOW I am glad all is well in Shermie World. You know us Donna we are such a demanding group we want our updates. Sorry you have been working so much.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/09/10 01:40 AM

popcorndrink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/15/10 11:48 AM

I'm sorry, just can't keep up, even on vacation, lol. Now I'm back to work. I've got so many updates and some great photos, but still no time yet to pull everything together.

But I would like to share some news with the Shermie Bear fans.

First, he has a new sister. He will introduce her after the weekend.

Also, Duke, Matsi, Sherman, and Star all played a very small role in an upcoming movie called Footprints.

“Footprints” is the true story of a man who finds the healing power of love only after he’s lost everything he valued and given up. It is a true story of a dog who learned to trust and serve only after she’d been discarded as worthless. It is the true story of a journey the two of them took that neither knew would bring them together."

The star of the movie is a GSRNE dog. Website: http://www.footprintsmovie.com/

Lots more news and some great photos hopefully after the weekend...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/15/10 04:27 PM

popcorndrink

Waiting on Shermie and his new sister...can't wait to see her.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/17/10 01:31 AM

what a cool looking movie. shermie has a new sister??? our weekend weather has been wonderful, hope your's was too! not many more of these left. always look forward to your updates! you and your crew take care...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/17/10 01:38 AM

A new sister? How exciting! Can't wait for updates and pictures!

I hope stardom doesn't go to your dogs heads! Chama, Basu and Rafi have all been in films. Fun, fun, fun!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/17/10 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow

I hope stardom doesn't go to your dogs heads! Chama, Basu and Rafi have all been in films. Fun, fun, fun!

Jim Huggins, the producer of 'Footprints', is also a member of GSRNE. This is going to be a movie we can all relate to, a true story of love between a broken down human and his rescued German Shepherd. My dogs became a very small part of the movie by sheer coincidence.

Ruth, which films were your dogs in and how did things transpire? That must have been very exciting for all of you.

My weekend is flying here at work. Can't wait to introduce little Sophie to all of you.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/17/10 09:57 PM

i had a flying weekend too! little sophie...i can hardly wait!!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/18/10 11:35 PM

Updates on Shermie????? Oooo yum, I can't wait. And a new sister, too. Too good to be true. Congrats on Shermie's debut in a film, even if all he plays is an extra. He'll still steal the show.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 10/21/10 01:54 AM

Well, I ran into problems with my photo software this week, so still working on pulling photos together...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/03/10 12:42 AM

popcorndrink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/03/10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: katieliz
popcorndrink

You are so funny, Kat. I'm glad people still love Shermie Bear so much.

smashcomputer I spent all day yesterday resolving some problems I ran into between software programs, but all the photos are now uploaded to their new destiny and ready to be displayed!

I need to run a few errands, then I'll start posting and updating this evening-Sherman made me promise as he is dying to reconnect with all of you.

BTW, you may want to put on a pot of coffee. It's going to be a long night. spitcoffee

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/03/10 05:26 PM

party..... And the crowd goes WILD happyboogie with Shermie-photo anticipation!! party

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post about The Sherm wub for his devoted, swooning fanclub! greet
We adore Shermie Bear!! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 01:00 PM

My doorbell rang last night, unexpected visitor. My heart sank, diverted again.

However, back on track now...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 04:09 PM

"Last time we corresponded, I was still wearing my harness while I recovered from a spinal issue."

"And btw, I don't miss those sicky days AT ALL. March...April...May...nearly killed me!"

"But I finally recovered back to my distinguished old handsome self."

"Not to mention, quite comfortable now, and happy as heck to meet up with all of YOU again."

"BTW, I'm not only able-bodied now, but my physique looks better than ever, wouldn't you agree?"

"Pssst. Can we move this along, Sherm? You've got a lot of catching up to do, for ALL OF US."

"OK then, follow me and I'll show you what I've, I mean WE'VE, been up to lately..."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 04:48 PM

Shermie!! wub

popcorndrink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 06:08 PM

GAAAAAAAAA!! There he is!! Handsome, dignified, able-bodied, and suave! wub wub wub These photos of golden-toasty handsomeness, Shermie Bear all hunkified and stunning just melt my heart! Duke and Matsi nearby, all enjoying the lovely scenic outdoors! Nothing makes me happier than seeing Sherman's recovery. Donna, you are AMAZING! hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 07:00 PM

Donna thanks for posting pics of Shermie Gent. I have a feeling with the last picture there is more to come I hope so.

What a great recovery there Shermie, you have a great guardian in Donna.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 08:45 PM

greet Hellooooo, Shermie! Finally. More, please?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 10:00 PM

"Hello, everyone, my name is Sophie, and I am safe and happy now."

"She's our GSRNE foster sister, and we truly love her!"

"Sadly, her former family thought she wandered off into the woods to die so never looked for her."

"And the poor ol' gal had live fleas, multiple infections, could barely walk, and had the curliest nails ever!"

"Hungry, sick, and confused, she then ended up in a homeless shelter for a &*$%# month."

"As a 14yo reject, she was certain she would die there, and nobody would care. Heartbreaking."

"Oh, boo hoo hoo. Yea, my heart is all broken up now, into a gazillion pieces. I might end up with heart failure!"

"Ya know, you can be a real jerk sometimes, Duke."

"Hey, look, what's Sophie up to?"

"Stay tuned for the adventures of Sherman, Matsi, Duke, & now Sophie, too!"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 10:15 PM

Looking forward to the next installment. Sophie is lovely.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 11:18 PM

Yaaaaayyy!! Sophie is looking absolutely wonderful! wub These pictures of dapper, gentelmanly handsome Shermie, Sophie, Matsi and Duke are gorgeous! Such a happy life now for Sophie. She looks relaxed, happy, and truly content and at peace among her new family. The warm soft bed, good food, and so much love... trips to the great outdoors and plenty of attention must all feel like a magickal dream for Sophie. Such incredibly LUCKY seniors to end up in Donna's care! gsdsit

Grimmi sends them all licks and snuggles-- even Sophie, who he's never met yet! wub
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 11:31 PM

YAY! Fun! Amazing and so glad that whole bad thing is done with Uncle Shermie (he reminds me of a sweet uncle). And what a beautiful new girl - what a sad, sad story (glad it is in the past).

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/04/10 11:40 PM

Donna you must have some gently healing magic to you. Sophie doesn't look like the same rejected gal. The god's and goddess have smiled on you and gave you a caring gift. OK enough mushy stuff from me, all I know is there will be a herd of dogs waiting for you.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 12:22 AM

"Life is GOOD, here in my new foster home."

"I have two new sisters-one human and one canine."

"Hey, sis, how about sharing that bone?"

"Pack life is brand new to me. Sorry, boys, this bed is taken."

"Mmmmm, I love my yummy new home."

"Look, I can speak and catch at the same time. Satisfied?"

"Oh, great, another smarty cat dog in the house."

"Excuse me, would you like to practice my new tricks with me?"

"Hopefully, she'll just go to sleep."

"Best rest ever."

"She'll need it too, after expending all that BRAIN energy."

"We're a family that likes to REST a lot in between our adventures."

"My new porch allows plenty of fresh air and protection during daytime siestas."

"And always plenty of fresh water at our paw-tips."

"And the BEST part of all, I get to watch all the neighbors."

"You guessed it. I'm one of those GOSSIPY old ladies."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 12:37 AM

What a magickal new life Sophie now leads along with Shermie, Matsi and Dukie! Such phenomenal photographs just pull me right in. I can feel the warmth, comfort, love, and cameraderie. Bones to chew, beds to lounge upon, a pack to hang with, and a deluxe sunny porch with a VIEW! A loving human family to spoil these fortunate seniors must make them each feel so very deeply cherished. My heart is warmed by your sharing of Shermie and friends! bloomrose

PS-- That last photograph just melts me, she looks so very well and optimistic and LOVED! wub (Hi, handsome Charlie Brown kitty! greet wub )

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Donna you must have some gently healing magic to you. Sophie doesn't look like the same rejected gal. The god's and goddess have smiled on you and gave you a caring gift. OK enough mushy stuff from me, all I know is there will be a herd of dogs waiting for you.

Thanks, Val. Honestly, I do very little, other than high quality food, supplements, minimal health care, fresh air exercise with rest in between, and lots and lots of love. I also think I've probably developed some good instincts along the way since I've had so many seniors pass through my hands.

On the flip side, I watch people in other areas demonstrate their dogs, such as someone like Patti with Grimm, and I'm aghast at what she can accomplish as well. I have no instincts or expertise or coping skills to get me through young dog issues, and I don't think I'd be good at it. I'm a caretaker by nature and it passes over to the senior dogs, I think.

In terms of the shelter photos, they were taken by Chris from GSRNE. When I was first asked if I could take her, my answer was N-0. Three is company, four is overkill. Later I was asked if I could drive her to her new foster home in CT, which I eagerly agreed to. Then I was asked if I could temporarily foster her for a week until her new foster home was ready for her. I said sure, for one week. THEN, the shelter discovered and confirmed that Sophie was actually 14yo, and I was sent photos. That last piece of information won me over, and it was a great decision because she fits in perfectly here. And of course, GSRNE takes care of all her needs-food, vet care, supplements, etc.

In the shelter, she had flea dermatitis and infections. She also had pain and couldn't walk. My vet feels her right back leg has dysplasia so bad that her hip formed a new joint, hence her slight deformity. Her left knee has arthritis. Her spine seems ok. Bloodwork all normal. She's on Desaquin and the occasional Rimadyl and she now hikes a few slow miles every few days with me and the rest of the crew. It may be the first time in a long time, or maybe even ever, that she had this kind of lifestyle and she seems to be taking full advantage of it. I'm trying to find a balance between protecting her and allowing her some freedom with her mobility, such as the rocky climbs we do at the beach. It's been a month, and she seems to be getting a lot stronger with the exercise. I find her incredible.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
YAY! Fun! Amazing and so glad that whole bad thing is done with Uncle Shermie (he reminds me of a sweet uncle). And what a beautiful new girl - what a sad, sad story (glad it is in the past).

Thanks, Jean. Sherman. Truly amazing. I came steps away from euthanizing him. And now...so full of life, not to mention full of himself, too. I feel more driven than ever to buy a video camera just to capture his personality. He has the most adorable stride since his recovery, and few move past him at the park without commenting on his bear like face. He's definitely a heart stopper.

BTW, he can be your Uncle Shermie if you'd like, hehe.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Bones to chew, beds to lounge upon, a pack to hang with, and a deluxe sunny porch with a VIEW! A loving human family to spoil these fortunate seniors must make them each feel so very deeply cherished.

PS-- That last photograph just melts me, she looks so very well and optimistic and LOVED! wub (Hi, handsome Charlie Brown kitty! greet wub )

Yea, Patti, I'm kinda known as the geriatric ward of rescue now, lol. I was walking out of the park after a long day of hiking yesterday, with my foursome brood alongside me, hoping I was the only one with a camera in the area. We were all limping our way toward the car, and then all the windows steamed up as we took a short nap before starting the ignition. In other words, I'm starting to feel my age, too.

Each one is cherished for different reasons. My 8yo niece can explain that one in depth, lol. Glad you love the last photograph. That one was taken the first week she was here. She's gained a lot of confidence. Nothing like her shelter picture. Definitely no more tail tucking. If anything, she's gotten a little pushy. Probably because she can. blush

Charlie Brown kitty is loving all the excitement, and he eats and sleeps with the dogs. He says hello back.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 01:38 AM

"More fun ahead, so stay tuned through the weekend..."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 01:40 AM

WOW! Shermie looks great and I am awe of Sophie. wub Thanks so much for taking her in. She looks really happy.

I found that outings brightened Chama's spirit so much that it was worth it in the end. Yes she overdid it sometimes but it sure beat sitting around the house or just walking around the block 3 times a day.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
WOW! Shermie looks great and I am awe of Sophie. wub Thanks so much for taking her in. She looks really happy.

I found that outings brightened Chama's spirit so much that it was worth it in the end. Yes she overdid it sometimes but it sure beat sitting around the house or just walking around the block 3 times a day.

Thanks, Ruth. As you mentioned about Chama, her spirits are high when we are out and about, and small walks wouldn't cut it with her either. I have been a bit nervous about letting her do too much, but she seems to recognize her own limits. For instance, if she thinks she can jump(into the sand), she will, otherwise, she'll find another route(so smart). I've heard their perception can be off at this age also, so I've been avoiding very high cliffs except at high tide, but she seems to do ok in that area, as well. And even her hearing and eye sight seem better than most seniors I've been around at this age, and I can already tell her muscle tone is far better than when she arrived a month ago.

I want her to feel a little discomfort when we are on our outings, for self-protection, so I give her Rimadyl AFTER the walks. I also keep the sling in the car, just in case, but so far, haven't used it. But winter is upon us, with icy stairs and pathways. So it may be a whole new ballgame coming up.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 02:56 AM

OMG... How did I miss this?!

I get teary eyed every time I come and read this thread. I love your home and think that what you are doing is truely amazing.... thank you.

Wow.. what a safe haven these pups have.... wow.. you are an angel, really.

Beautiful.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 12:41 PM

I have missed the adventures of Shermie and Company! What a comeback kid he is!! These are terrific pictures and captions Donna, and just look at Ms. Sophie all settled in. Gosh, her eyes sure are clear and bright for her age. She's a doll! And of course Melissa right in the middle of everything... wub

I love the Nannie Millie book Donna. I can't tell you how many times I've read through it and it's just as enjoyable and moving each time. Congrats on being a published author!!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 03:39 PM

Shermie and Sophie warm my heart to the point of tears. Can anything compare to those faces, now feeling so cherished and cared for.

I am currently trying to help this old guy find his home - and feeling more and more like he may have been dumped.

Posters, newspaper ads, fliers in vets offices and craigs list have still not brought his family into the open. Hopefully they will show up soon - otherwise I will probably be starting my 'one at a time old dog rescue' much sooner than intended. He is not at my house, but it is getting cold and I may have to bring him 'home' and inside where he should be.

Not trying to hijack your awesome thread - just finding support that I can do this if needed.

Looking forward to more of Shermie and Sophie. wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:14 PM

Bonnie and all, please never feel like you are hijacking 'my' thread. I welcome posts of other dogs, especially seniors. That's the purpose of inviting people into the lives of these old dogs after they come to me, to portray the realm of possibilities.

In terms of the old guy you are trying to help, I don't know anything about your situation or his situation. How old would you say he is? Is he at a shelter? Living on the streets? Vacant property? The older ones can't regulate their body temperature so well anymore, so I really hope you or someone else can get him to safety for the winter.

Not sure about rescues in your area, but the one I am fostering for provides for all the dogs needs. There would be no way I could have taken on the expenses of a fourth dog without them. Is there any chance a rescue can take him?

BTW, have you named him? grin

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: elisabeth
OMG... How did I miss this?!

I get teary eyed every time I come and read this thread. I love your home and think that what you are doing is truely amazing.... thank you.

Wow.. what a safe haven these pups have.... wow.. you are an angel, really.

Beautiful.

Thank-you, Elisabeth. No angel here, though. Very human with lots of flaws. But not these guys. They truly ARE angels, and I have been blessed.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Kris
I have missed the adventures of Shermie and Company! What a comeback kid he is!! These are terrific pictures and captions Donna, and just look at Ms. Sophie all settled in. Gosh, her eyes sure are clear and bright for her age. She's a doll! And of course Melissa right in the middle of everything... wub

Thanks, Kris. We hiked again today. No camera, battery dead. But I've got the mental pictures. Gorgeous blue sky, fluffy white clouds, crisp air, and a pack of old dogs frolicking on the hillside. And now, four sleeping angels at my feet...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:28 PM

I really love this thread. It renews my faith in humanity, to see what you have done for these wonderful dogs, once broken and discarded, but now loving members of your family.

Sophie is just beautiful (that last picture is WOW!)...they are all beautiful, really. There is something so noble about them and they look like they know they are home. wub

Thank you so much for what you do for them AND for sharing them with us!!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Charlotte
Shermie!! wub

popcorndrink

Charlotte! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
Looking forward to the next installment. Sophie is lovely.

Hi Johanna, thank-you!

Shermie and Sophie send their love, and I'll catch up with your pm very soon. smile

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Lexi
I really love this thread. It renews my faith in humanity, to see what you have done for these wonderful dogs, once broken and discarded, but now loving members of your family.

Sophie is just beautiful (that last picture is WOW!)...they are all beautiful, really. There is something so noble about them and they look like they know they are home. wub

Thank you so much for what you do for them AND for sharing them with us!!!

Thanks, Lexi. I do love to hear which photos grab people, so I appreciate the feedback.

Broken and discarded, so true. Now they are new and improved, fixed and loved, potential being recognized and maximized.

Come to think of it, not sure why my plan never worked for a few boyfriends along the way. wink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 07:46 PM

Lots of catching up since June. I have tons more pictures to start posting after supper.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 08:05 PM

popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 08:24 PM

Broken and discarded, so true. Now they are new and improved, fixed and loved, potential being recognized and maximized.

Come to think of it, not sure why my plan never worked for a few boyfriends along the way. wink

rofl I can tell you why! Not to bash on men....but GSDs are SOOOOO much more loyal than most any man could ever aspire to be! grin (well, there ARE exceptions, but they're few and far between wink )

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/05/10 10:27 PM

Donna;

I would guess is at least 10 or 11 years old. He has both vision and hearing problems. teary

He is not at my house but he is safe. He is being cared for by the two neighbors that found him. They both have fenced back yards, but - he is outside - he has a very warm house but it will not be enough soon and I know he is also lonely. One family (my friends) have three dogs, including a senior with chronic medical problems that takes a lot of energy and funds to care for. I don't know the other family.

I have made a point of NOT naming him - he is referred to as Rover.

It would be very tight for me financially to take him in. My other dogs are 7 and 10 and have needs also. Where do you draw the line?

But - I am talking to one of the families tomorrow to see what the plans are at this time. If they are ready to send him to a shelter, or leave him out as temps continue to drop I cannot allow that to happen.

I am in Ohio and there are really no rescues here that would take him. Our shelters are full and he would not last long in one of them. It breaks my heart, because he is just what I had in mind for my senior rescue - later. I have been crunching numbers today to help me decide if this would be a mistake. I keep hoping for a miracle. frown

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/06/10 06:19 PM

Well helloo there! Allow me to introduce myself..

My name is Maxwell Brown, but you can call me Max. I am 11 years old, and I have been in my forever home for 6+ years now. I was found wandering a neighborhood in Charlotte, NC - but I now live in the nations capital.

I like long slow walks (emphasis on slow, my rear end is not all that strong anymore), candle lit dinners and early bed times. Call me... wink

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/06/10 07:31 PM

Well, I never posted photos after supper last night. More computer issues. Drove to Mac store today and problem solved. But it was a good reminder why I need to spend more time backing up all my files.

I'm going to shoot again for posting tonight.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/06/10 07:38 PM

My, my Maxwell. AR you flirting with Miss Sophie? I love these great pictures.

Looking forward to the latest for Sophie and Shermie.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/06/10 11:30 PM

My name is Maxwell Brown, but you can call me Max. I am 11 years old, and I have been in my forever home for 6+ years now. I was found wandering a neighborhood in Charlotte, NC - but I now live in the nations capital.

I like long slow walks (emphasis on slow, my rear end is not all that strong anymore), candle lit dinners and early bed times. Call me...

"Oh, Max, I'm so very flattered."

"Quick. How do I tell him I'm not interested, 'cuz I've had bad luck with long distance relationships?"

"Wait, I hate to hurt his feelings, so maybe I'll just find him someone far more exciting & adventurous."

"Excuse me. All dressed up with no place to go? I may be able to fix that."

"Let us know how it all works out fur ya, Maxie boy."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/07/10 01:12 AM

Bear Cove Park, a 484 acre wildlife sanctuary located along the banks of the Weymouth Back River.

It's our favorite off-leash dogpark.

"And it's legit."

"And now I'm a BCP diehard as well."

"Anyone ready for a hike?"

"I hope Sophie can keep up with us today."

"Matsi, somehow we lost Sophie."

"I found her. Nose glued to the ground as usual."

"That's why they call me NOSY old Sophie, hehe."

"OK, can we all please stick together now?"

"Buddy UP."

"WAIT up!"

"SHUT up. And keep moving. There's so much more to see ahead."

"Honestly, I could hike circles around these guys."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/07/10 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Donna;

I would guess is at least 10 or 11 years old. He has both vision and hearing problems. teary

He is not at my house but he is safe. He is being cared for by the two neighbors that found him. They both have fenced back yards, but - he is outside - he has a very warm house but it will not be enough soon and I know he is also lonely. One family (my friends) have three dogs, including a senior with chronic medical problems that takes a lot of energy and funds to care for. I don't know the other family.

I have made a point of NOT naming him - he is referred to as Rover.

It would be very tight for me financially to take him in. My other dogs are 7 and 10 and have needs also. Where do you draw the line?

But - I am talking to one of the families tomorrow to see what the plans are at this time. If they are ready to send him to a shelter, or leave him out as temps continue to drop I cannot allow that to happen.

I am in Ohio and there are really no rescues here that would take him. Our shelters are full and he would not last long in one of them. It breaks my heart, because he is just what I had in mind for my senior rescue - later. I have been crunching numbers today to help me decide if this would be a mistake. I keep hoping for a miracle. frown

Bonnie,

The hardest part of saying N-O, is knowing the alternative. Especially when it hits you so close to home. I don't envy your position.

Expense is always a consideration. And I can totally identify with needing to draw a line.

But Rover is a good name for a homeless dog.

If you do decide to bring him home, Sherman says he is welcome to pop into his thread anytime. They could be 'penpals', not to mention, we love pictures! grin

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/07/10 08:20 AM

Bear Cove Park, a 484 acre wildlife sanctuary located along the banks of the Weymouth Back River.

"Anyone ready for a hike?"

wow what an incredible place, and your pictures are absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see more about Shermie wub and his crew.
Thank you for giving sweet Sophie a second chance a lift at 14. Wish more people could see how wonderful these seniors are.
Posted by: Crooked Creek

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/07/10 08:22 AM

These are fantastic, gorgeous and heartwarming photos. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/07/10 11:58 AM

YAY!! More fabulous, richly hued, vibrant photos to warm our hearts of Shermie, Sophie, Matsi and Duke! These absolutely stunning, polychrome autumnal nature scenes falltreewith relaxed, happy seniors enjoying freedom, fresh air, and so many scents as they stretch their legs are balsam to enjoy. My gosh Donna, your photos are breathtakingly gorgeous. They make the concept of adopting a senior such a richer proposal, as the dogs are past the crazy penguin stage (...ummm... not that I'd know what THAT is... hammer... Grimmi... silly ) and they can relax and be trusted offlead in such tranquil, restorative nature settings around strangers, other dogs, and remain calm. They have a mellow, happy life with you Donna, full of joys and outdoor off lead nature explorations.

Sophie landed in pure senior doggy heaven in being with you Donna! thumbup

I fall in love with Shermie wubmore every day. I can't help it!! Thank you for the captivating, compelling, heartwarming photo essays of your beloved crew! I get such a thrill enjoying them when you take the time to so generously share them with us! cheers thanks hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/08/10 01:41 AM

It's so nice to meet Shermie's new housemate Sophie. She does look like a completely different dog from the original shelter pictures and sooooooo at home where she is now.

But Shermie, dear blessed grandfatherly sage Shermie. I have never seen a dog, no matter what age, with a face like his; those droopy eyelids, that wrinkly neck. He's just entrancing.

I don't know where I've been the past week or so but I missed these last few updates and so glad I've caught up now. Thank you for updating us. And give Shermie a huge (gentle) hug from me. I've never been so in love with a dog before.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior SHERMAN - 11/08/10 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Hatterasser

But Shermie, dear blessed grandfatherly sage Shermie. I have never seen a dog, no matter what age, with a face like his; those droopy eyelids, that wrinkly neck. He's just entrancing.

"Why, thank-you kindly, Ms. Hatterasser. But the pleasure is all mine."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/08/10 10:29 PM

I love the Nannie Millie book Donna. I can't tell you how many times I've read through it and it's just as enjoyable and moving each time. Congrats on being a published author!!!

Hi Kris,

I wanted to make a point of saying thank-you. (Was going to try and say it with an endearing photo, but falling too far behind again). There are many newbies who probably won't know who Nannie Millie was, so trying to put her story together along with some of the other seniors from the former forum...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/09/10 09:32 AM

Hi Kris,

I wanted to make a point of saying thank-you. (Was going to try and say it with an endearing photo, but falling too far behind again). There are many newbies who probably won't know who Nannie Millie was, so trying to put her story together along with some of the other seniors from the former forum...

I didn't know the book had been published. We followed Millie's journey. Where can I get the book?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/11/10 02:16 AM

And thank you, Shermie, just for being you...alive and wonderful.

P.S. Though I don't think pink is really your color....you are an 'autumn leaves' color. You remind me of Rivendell, in the autumn of your life.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 11/11/10 10:34 AM

And thank you, Shermie, just for being you...alive and wonderful.

P.S. Though I don't think pink is really your color....you are an 'autumn leaves' color. You remind me of Rivendell, in the autumn of your life.

"You guys here that? Diane loves me just as I am."

"But I love to dress my dogs to match ME sometimes."

"Oh, no, here comes some old friends of mine."

"I hope they don't recognize me."

"They just told me to pass along that you look real perty in pink, Shermie girl."

"Up yours, Duke."

"Can we try autumn colors next time, Melissa?"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/07/10 09:55 PM

Ah, Shermie, we all love you just as you are. But we like the different styles you try on as well!

I just read that there could be a whole group of new people who do not know Nannie Millie - I can't imagine that. One of the wonders on this board (and the 'other' one) are the pictorials of these amazing seniors.

And Donna, you said you didn't mind Moses stopping in now and then. This is his picture with his new mom just before going to her farm with her. Just got word tonight that he is fitting right in with the dogs, chickens and horses. Live long and happy, Moses:

Momma Mandy, are you really taking me home with you?

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/08/10 08:49 AM

Oh my gosh!! How did I miss this wonderful new development??

Sophie is just beautiful!! What a heartwarming story...thank you so much Donna...you are one awesome lady!! I look forward to hearing about Sophie's wonderful adventures with your beautiful pack smile

Cheyenne sends smooches to that hunk Shermie!! And...wow!! Duke has really matured into a distinguished gentleman!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/09/10 12:47 PM

Oh my gosh!! How did I miss this wonderful new development??

That's ok, Mary Ann, I miss a lot, too."

"Although, I still have eyes for Cheyenne."

"Wowza, beautiful bleached blond BABE has arrived."

"Uh, looks more like tie a yellow ribbon round an old CROAK tree."

"Oh, Shermie, I got all dolled up for you but then heard you got hooked up with that honey colored girl."

"You heard wrong dear, now come to papa bear, my little snowy bear."

"Cheater."

"Looks like ol' papa bear left ol' honey bear for little snowy bear."

"That's right, but never dating ol' black bear, who is way too dominating."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/09/10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog

I just read that there could be a whole group of new people who do not know Nannie Millie - I can't imagine that. One of the wonders on this board (and the 'other' one) are the pictorials of these amazing seniors.

And Donna, you said you didn't mind Moses stopping in now and then. This is his picture with his new mom just before going to her farm with her. Just got word tonight that he is fitting right in with the dogs, chickens and horses. Live long and happy, Moses:

"Good luck, Moses! Drop back anytime to say hello and let us know how you are doing."

"Dogs, chickens, horses...no mention of balls, poor fella."

"Mama Mandy and Moses look real happy together. Best of luck, old man, and don't forget to write."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/09/10 11:57 PM

There is Shermie Bear. Poor fella with the bevy of grand dams to choose from.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/12/10 03:00 AM

omgosh, omgosh...that "cheater" picture...i am sitting here at 2 o'clock in the morning laughing my tush off with tears rolling down my face. i LOVE these pictures and the captions are priceless.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 12:56 PM

Not so great news to report. Sherman is sick again. Took him to the vet yesterday morning, where he had a fever of 103.6, heart rate 160 with a new murmur, lethargic, drooling, vomitting, not eating or drinking, odd positioning, and trembling in pain. Similar symptoms to last spring. So we are back on Prednisone 80mg/day, Tramadol up to 200mg/day, and Doxycycline 400mg/day. (He and Duke also both have ear infections being treated again). His bloodwork was all normal except for a white blood count elevation to 19k (up to 17k normal), but he does have allergies.

I got him comfortable enough to eat last night, and he slept like a charm, but woke in pain again. He refused to go over the stairs and simply peed as he walked onto the porch. Then returned inside and slid onto the floor. He's medicated and asleep on the best orthopedic bed in the house again, and I was able to get his meds into him with food and no vomitting this am.

We dodged the last bullet. I hope we can do this again.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 02:09 PM

Thank you to all the great dogs with best wishes for Moses. That was so sweet. hugging

Oh Shermie, please feel better soon. I must say that you may using up way to much energy keeping all your stories straight with the ladies! nono

Listen to mama Donna and take your meds and try to eat every day. Snug up on your comfy bed and get some rest. We all love you, Shermie! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 02:21 PM

Oh Shermie I hope you bounce back again. Zooming you some strength vibes.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 02:42 PM

Sending healing thoughts out to Shermie and comfort to Donna!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 02:51 PM

First I'm laughing myself silly at the pics of Shermie and his 'harem' and the next post I'm almost in tears. Oh, poor Shermie. I know with age comes ailments here and there but please, dear boy, do take your meds and sleep a lot (sleep is good) so you can back to handling your 'ladies'.

Donna, thanks for taking care of the old man. I don't know what any of us will do when his time comes to take that walk to the bridge. I know I'll miss him more than any other dog on any of these sites. I'm glad you have tons of pictures so you can keep posting them just to give us a Shermie 'fix' now and then.

Give him a gentle hug from me and a sloppy lick-kiss from Thor and Freya.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 02:57 PM

i am so sorry to read this donna. bless your heart dear shermie-bear. take care, many blessings to you and all your kidz.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 03:04 PM

Sending positive vibes and strength to Shermie bear (and Donna). We wub you, Shermie! Rest up and get better soon sweet boy.
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 03:34 PM

Donna, if anybody can dodge another bullet it's you and Shermie.

all possible good wishes,
MJ

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 03:39 PM

Oh, I like to save these threads up to read in big installments, but saw the active topics and wanted to stop in to say feel better soon Shermie. wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 06:28 PM

The ShermieBear FanClub (Southeastern MA chapter) is beaming Shermie tons of healing vibes and positive energy. May shermie truly rebound again with the protocol and expert care you give him Donna. He has such a charmed life, he's got to heal and become well again so that he can enjoy more trips to loveley settings, enjoy more snacks, more snuggles and pets, and sustain the overwhelming LOVE and DEVOTION of his staggeringly HUGE fanbase!

More healing thoughts flowing out to Shermie from Grimm and me.......

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 11:31 PM

Sending healing thoughts for Shermie and Donna from CT

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/14/10 11:33 PM

Sending lots of love and prayers!! Cheyenne sends special healing kisses and hugs for her man!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 01:03 AM

Thank-you to all from Sherm. I've got photos, will try to post tomorrow. We're struggling but definitely not getting any worse. I tried to go with just the steroids and Doxy this evening, but he was staggering while walking, did not seem to want to put one paw in front of the other. I gave him the Tramadol after I evaluated him, and finally knocked him out.

He's sleeping now, and soon I will be too. sleep

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 09:43 AM

BIG hugging to you and Shermie bear.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 03:42 PM

We're not doing well here today:

http://www.germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/115062.html#Post115062

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 03:49 PM

teary Big hugs, Shermie-bear. Hope that you can pull through. frown

hugging to you, Donna.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 06:13 PM

hugging Donna, I am so sorry.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 06:27 PM

I am so saddened by this news.... I am so very sorry.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 09:40 PM

I know all or at least most of you have been here, and I thank-you for your well wishes, here and in the health section.

It was a very hard and confusing day, and I'm very relieved that Sherman is at peace now.

To back up, as you know, Sherman had been sick back in the spring with spinal disease, and recovered about 95% to his baseline, and we had good quality of life, with many outings, since then. Unfortunately, this past weekend he showed signs of disc disease again, so I brought him back to the vet and we left on the same regime of meds that fixed him last time. But this time around, his symptoms ALSO included a fever, new murmur, heart rate of 160, vomiting, stopped eating and drinking, and he was sluggish. His blood work showed an almost normal hematocrit, so we assumed that bleeding was not on the list of possibilities (thinking sarcoma), and an elevated white blood count. We elected to treat for disc disease, knowing it was a long shot, because I just wanted the pain put to rest more than trying to fix any other unknowns.

Recovering at home, he continued to have trouble getting up, but could still walk to his water bowl and we walked outside for potty runs together.

Then this am, he was almost all dead weight. We made it to the porch once to pee, then he collapsed just inside the door. I force fed a few teaspoons of canned food with his meds, then settled him on his bed. There was some very heavy panting. He also had a few strange episodes where he would stretch his neck straight up and limbs straight out. I thought these episodes were the precursor to his death, but he kept on breathing, picking his head up and looking at me. I didn't know if I was seeing medication side effects or intense pain.

THEN, he did that stretching thing again, and as I tried to console him, I was welcomed by a mound of black tarry poop. His limbs were also gradually becoming more rigid. He gradually started to use his accessory muscles for breathing, which was becoming more rapid. Some drooling then foaming at the mouth. Still eyes opened and able to hold his head up at times. Now I realized I was watching signs and symptoms of shock taking place.

Vet finally called me back, and said if this was bleeding ulcer, then it's very painful. Said she was swamped, asked me to bring him in, but I was alone and he was all dead weight at this point. Then she called back and asked if I wanted the techs to come pick him up with stretcher, and I said my first choice would be to die at home, but that was definitely a good alternative. THEN, she called back again and said techs had rescheduled appts and so she was on her way over.

I quickly ran up to the daycare where my 8yo niece was and picked her up. She, me, and the rest of the furry pet clan rallied about Sherman's sick bed. We took pictures. She gave him goodbye presents. We all snuggled.

I then answered the doorbell to find vet and the two techs who know Sherman well. I was so glad to see them. We got right down to business. A few soothing words, a sedative, then one final goodbye, then the fatal injection, then he was gone. BUT, not without a second listen by two of us with the stethoscope. Pulse-less and breathless for one minute. Gone...FOR SURE.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 09:51 PM

You are your niece were with him at his death just as you were with his life - all the way. Shermie was so very fortunate to have found his way to your home.

butterfly Fly free, Sherman.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 10:28 PM

Donna,

I'm so glad that Shermie left this world surrounded by beings that loved him. His life with you was nothing short of wonderful and I am deeply grateful to have shared it, in some small way, through your pictures and commentary. Please take good care...and know that we're here for you. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 10:44 PM

rip Shermie Bear. You are now pain free and a handsome gent, WOW all the girls.

Donna you are an angel. Thank you for giving Shermie the best of the time that he had.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/15/10 10:59 PM

Donna,

Thank you so much for being Shermie's champion, even in the last moments of his life. He was surrounded by peace and love in his last moments, and that is all that anyone could ask for.

He was lucky to find his way to your home and your heart. And we were lucky that you shared him with all of us. Thank you for that. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 01:14 AM

I am very sorry - to you and your family. I am very glad that Shermie got a second chance at life and was able to be a friend to dogs and people and get that in return. hugging
Posted by: Qyn

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 06:27 AM

Aww Shermie Bear teary. As another bounce back was not possible I am so glad your family was there to help you through. Hugs to Donna and family hugging. Shermie had the best new chance (as do all Donna's seniors) and I am grateful that we got to share in what that chance really meant to him. Each dog's experience is unique and all are wonderful in that difference.

Thank you Donna.
Posted by: bianca

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 08:23 AM

teary Just read through all 20 pages and used half a box of tissues. Donna thank you so much for being you and bringing love and joy to these beautiful seniors. I am so very sorry for the passing of sweet Shermie. I can't find the right words but thank you for sharing him with us hugging You must be such a strong lady to do this and I thank you for caring so much hugging teary

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 12:29 PM

I'm sitting here in tears....sadness that he is gone...joy when I think of the beautiful life he shared with you...the happiness and love you gave him. This is not the end...Shermie is at peace...loved and ok...and he will live forever in our hearts. Thank you for giving him a beautiful life here on earth.
m.a.

Shermie..we will meet and romp and play together someday...until then....I will hold you in my heart forever...gentle kisses my love.

Chey
Posted by: Poohbearsdad

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 01:58 PM

This is quite a shock. Donna, thank you for taking the old boy in. I know he left the earth loved as he deserved. I really enjoyed the pix that you've shared with us.

Shermie, hopefully you found Poohbear when you got to the bridge. Take care of her and the others.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 06:22 PM

Wonderful angel and miracle-maker Sherman lives on forever in your words, pictures, and in the many hearts he continues to touch. butterfly Donna, Grimm and I continue to send you heartfelt wishes for strength and healing. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 06:44 PM

Donna, I just read the description of his final time here. I am so glad that he was with you when he became ill and was sent to the next phase of his journey. Thank you both for sharing his time these last couple of years with us.

butterfly rip Shermie, you are an inspiration

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 06:57 PM

Thank-you all so much for your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. The members on this forum are incredible!

I spent the night filtering through his photos. There will be another senior in my life eventually, but he is going to be a hard act to follow.

Angel Shermie Bear, and friends, will be back to visit, once the work stretch is over, Sunday or Monday....

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/16/10 07:23 PM

I spent the night filtering through his photos. There will be another senior in my life eventually, but he is going to be a hard act to follow.

wub wub wub
Posted by: SaraD

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 12/20/10 12:35 AM

Donna I am so sorry for your loss of Sherman. His expressive face and soulful eyes made him such a special senior shepherd in your rescue pictorials (and quite the Casanova with all the ladies!) I remember when you rescued him from that shelter down South with the intent to offer him a comfortable bed and hospice care. Shermie Bear had other plans and lived the best 2 years of his life with zest and joy. One of my favorite pics is of him trick or treating with Melissa in his Red Sox shirt - a good old handsome Southern boy living it up in the Northeast. I learn so much about living life to the fullest from you and your senior dogs Donna - thank you for sharing Sherman with us. Hugs from Sara

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SaraD
Donna I am so sorry for your loss of Sherman. His expressive face and soulful eyes made him such a special senior shepherd in your rescue pictorials (and quite the Casanova with all the ladies!) I remember when you rescued him from that shelter down South with the intent to offer him a comfortable bed and hospice care. Shermie Bear had other plans and lived the best 2 years of his life with zest and joy.

One of my favorite pics is of him trick or treating with Melissa in his Red Sox shirt - a good old handsome Southern boy living it up in the Northeast. I learn so much about living life to the fullest from you and your senior dogs Donna - thank you for sharing Sherman with us. Hugs from Sara

Thanks, Sara. He did have an awesome retirement, didn't he?

How is miss sweet Sonia Sunshine doing?

"In 2009, Melissa was a cheerleader and I was her handsome football player chaperon."

"Pssst, this is a big CHOCOLATE house."

"Sorry, Sherm, she didn't know I was bringing a hungry football player tonight."

"Hey Melissa, don't forget ol' Shermie boy."

"Auntie, quick, tell him, we're not trick or treating for DOG treats."

"Excuse me, but are you a REAL kitty, or is that just a costume?"

"Maybe next year, I'll carry my own pumpkin."

"I may have struck out on Halloween cookies, but at least I got a soft bed and this, um, interesting tee shirt."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 06:15 PM

The Shermie Bear Halloween photo story!! happyboogie My fave is of Sherm all comfy on his bed in his football player T-shirt. Toasty-golden glowing cherished senior man!! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 06:25 PM

They were so precious together... wub Love that last picture...

Patti, how can you be so thin??? Everything you write makes me want to eat something sweet!! rofl Perfect description of Shermie - "Toasty-golden glowing"...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 06:58 PM

Aww - sweet Shermie-Bear! What a handsome boy you were, lighting all ours lives. You are so missed by so many, wonder boy.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 10:05 PM

On October 25, 2008, an old debilitated shepherd sat in a shelter on the euthanasia list, with about a zero chance of being adopted. He was 18 hrs, or 1,083 miles, away from me in Commerce, Georgia. As fate would have it, he won my senior-loving heart.

Today, his petfinder link still works:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/12185617

Sherman
German Shepherd
Large • Senior • Male

Sherman is a wonderful dog who needs your help!!! As you can see from his pictures, Sherman is very thin. He has been living on the streets for some time. He is eating well now, and we're hoping he will put on weight soon. If you have ever wanted to save the life of an animal, Sherman is the dog for you! To help save him, please call the Commerce vet at 706-335-5111 and give them ID# JC8-333. Please Hurry!!!

"Anybody out there in Petfinderland searching for a grampa with lots of potential?"

"This is NOT how I envisioned the end of my life."

Fast forward two years later to November 14, 2010:

"Recognize me?"

"Pssst. It's ME, Shermie Bear. I was saved."

"The transformation was incredible, wouldn't you say?"

"Can you believe that up until recently, I was still tearing up the hill with 14yo Sophie?"

"BUT THEN SADLY, Sherman became very ill."

"Yeah, he couldn't walk anymore and the vet tried to fix him again."

"But the medicine didn't work this time around and our honey bear just got sicker and sicker."

"And it was just heart wrenching to watch him in so much pain."

"Darn leg acting up all over again. This REALLY s*cks."

"Hey, Sherm, wake up, your ice cubes are melting."

"Oh, Shermie, you look SO miserable. I wish something more could be done."

"Why is HE getting all the attention?"

"Have you all forgotten about my painful ear infection?"

"I hope your ear feels better, Duke."

"And on that note, I think it's time to bid you all farewell now."

"WHAT? Noooooooo."

"We are going to miss our red headed boyfriend."

"But, but, WHERE are you going?!"

"I guess we wait and watch and then we find out, little one."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 10:30 PM

The chronicles of an angel. angel hugging gsdhalo I think that for many of us, the richness of Shermie's tales means so very much. grouphug Charlie Brown and Lucy (with her wide-eyed wonder at this event), Matsi's practical commentary, Shermie's kindhearted wisdom in letting his friends know... is so very touching. Dukie's wisecracking lends a lightness and feeling of cameraderie and of safety even during Shermie's transition time. These photo journal stories get me so cought up and intrigued, that I forget my worries and feel the joy of the dogpark runs, the comfort of friends surrounding even as Shermie had his transition approaching. There's such a feeling of warmth and family. Thank you Donna, for bringing us into a world with loving characters, wisdom, good sense, poignancy, and even humor. The wonderful characters have so much courage--- as do you. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/06/11 11:05 PM

On December 15th, 2010, two years and one month after arriving to his loving new home, Sherman was unable to dodge the final bullet.

"I felt so ill that day that I could barely move. I knew my time had come."

"Hey, can someone go get Melissa at daycare? She needs to be here for him."

"Yes, please, quickly, and I hope I can stay awake long enough to say goodbye to her."

"Wow, Sherman, I didn't expect you to look so sick."

"I brought you a teddy bear to keep you company on your new journey."

"That's very thoughtful, Melissa."

"Oh, Sherman, I already miss you terribly."

"One final photo of our family with Sherman, auntie?"

From there, our vet and two techs arrived to turn Sherman into an angel. Melissa and I comforted him at his head until his hurting body went limp. Then, we all listened with a stethoscope to be sure he no longer had a pulse. It was a relief to both of us to see him finally at peace. Then we moved to a different room while they took Sherman away. Melissa sobbed, and wanted to know where they were taking him.

"Psssst, Matsi, I want to know, too. Where did Sherman actually GO?"

"Gosh, where in the world is Sherman now?"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 03:00 AM

I have been sitting here with tears in my eyes, unsure of what to write..

I am so very greatful to you and Melissa for caring for Sherman. I felt like you invited us along for the journey with yous and for that, I am very thankful.

He had the most wonderful home with you and what an amazing life he had with his loving Melissa by his side. His doggy friends to play with and explore the beach with..

I will always remember Sherman and your story.

Sherman... you were such a grand old chap, you really were. It is because of you that I want to welcome a senior into my home when I am able to love and cherish in their final days. You truley are an angel now and I wish you the most peace in your new journey.. gsdhalo

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 05:41 AM

Another box of tissues used here teary Thank you so much Donna for your love and care of your very special seniors. I am the same as Elisabeth, I have applied to foster older dogs and it is because of Sherman and Nannie Millie hugging Shermie, you will be so very missed butterfly

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 09:33 AM

At the end of our lives, will anyone care for us like Donna did for Shermie?

We can only hope so.

Donna,

Thank you for your ongoing lesson in humanity.

MJ

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 01:05 PM

And his legacy lives on... Just look Shermie - TWO of your fans right here who want a senior - and many, many more out there. I was doing okay until I saw that picture of Melissa hugging him. That about did me in. What a brave and loving little girl she is.

As Mary Jane said, thank you for your ongoing lesson in humanity.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 03:05 PM

Sherman... you were such a grand old chap, you really were. It is because of you that I want to welcome a senior into my home when I am able to love and cherish in their final days. You truley are an angel now and I wish you the most peace in your new journey.

I have applied to foster older dogs and it is because of Sherman and Nannie Millie.

Elisabeth and Mary Jane, and all other compassionate senior-loving people, new and old:

"You make Shermie, very proud grampy."

"Wait..a..minute. I thought you were...dead already."

"I think Sherman has some explaining to do."

"Maybe it's time for master Matsi to get involved here."

"And I know just where to start."

"Bingo."

"Ok, where have you been? We're all listening, Sherm."

"Not ALL of us."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 05:45 PM

"Remember the day recently when we all hung out in Squantum?"

"At first, it seemed like a very typical day at the beach."

"Not for me, Sherm. I knew SOMETHING didn't feel right that day."

"Especially when you lay motionless on your back, eyes locked on the sky."

"Sophie has good instincts, as that was the day I learned about my latest calling."

"C'mon guys, if we climb high enough, maybe we'll figure out who was calling me."

"I swear, Matsi, someone hollered my name up here."

"Maybe Matsi wants to buy into your ludicrous hallucinations oh crazy one, but I'm taking a break."

"I believe you Sherm. Don't worry, I'll figure this one out. I always do."

"Listen, Matsi, now I hear strange chattering."

"You go one way, and I'll go the other. One of us is bound to meet up with THE VOICE."

"THERE you are...So when am I leaving and how will I know it's time?"

"Who are you talking to, Sherm?"

"That was THE VOICE...the angels...they're making my new wings and flying me home soon!"

"So now I've only got a little more LEG time here on earth."

"There he goes Matsi. Still believe him?"

"I think I'll plead the fifth on this one, and wait and see."
Posted by: Sylv

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 06:10 PM

I was doing okay until I saw that picture of Melissa hugging him. That about did me in. What a brave and loving little girl she is.

That did me in too. I am on a packed train right now, rapidly blinking and swallowing the tears away.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 06:48 PM

I'm on the edge of my seat, all wrapped up in the story, the characters, the feelings. Time stands still when we're taken into the world of your animals, Donna, through these magnificent, captivating photo journals.

I want to cry... I want to cheer. These stories have so much wonder and mystery, but always with the loving support of friends. Thank you for sharing these, Donna!

Oh Shermie, you continue to make such a powerful, healing impact. More seniors will be rescued, taken from cold shelter cells to warm and loving homes because of your story. More adopters bringing seniors in means so much more warmth and richness in the lives of their adopters. Everyone wins. bloomrose
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 06:51 PM

love this

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 07:13 PM

"Ah, finally, time for a nice nap."

"Uh-oh. I recognize those voices."

"I'll be right there, dear friends."

"Time to go."

"SO, I heard today was the big day, when Sherman surrenders himself. We'll see."

"And....there he IS."

"Dear earth friends. Another angel is needed to watch over homeless seniors & I've been chosen."

"Helloooooo?"

"I am ready for my wings now."

"Where did he go?"

"He just disappeared into the clouds. I don't know what to make of this."

"I am an ANGEL now, silly, here to watch over my earthly charges."

"Hey, wait a second, that's MY ball you disappeared with!!!"

"Chalk one up to the gramps!"

"Quick, someone ask him if he's seen Nannie Millie yet."

"Not seen her yet, sweet little Lucy."

"She may be somewhere on earth right now, as I will be, watching over my protégés."

"SO dear friends, have no fear, Shermie's still here, albeit angel, and feel certain, I'LL BE BAACK."

"Looking forward to it. YEA, RIGHT."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 07:19 PM

Stay tuned for more adventures with Shermie and friends, after the weekend.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 07:55 PM

Quote:
I am ready for my wings now

That one just did me in. You've got them, Shermie. You've got them.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 08:33 PM

That was beautiful

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 09:54 PM

I also cried at the perfectly beautiful, touchingly sweet, "Ready for my wings" comment and photo. Oh sweet Shermie, you're one amazing angel. gsdhalo wub wub wub wub wub wub wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/07/11 10:51 PM

Wow, I thought Nannie's story moved me (and it does every time I read it), but this is even more so.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/08/11 05:58 AM

I need shares in a tissue factory after coming back to Shermie's story teary I am so pleased he stole the ball, that made me laugh. That "Bingo" photo is breathtaking. I am going to chase up the rescue on Monday.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/08/11 09:45 AM

So beautiful.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/08/11 10:49 AM

Maybe a movie this time Donna, based on your evocative stills.

something like

How Shermie got his Wings.

Truly, though, your pictures and text are inspiring and comforting at the same time.

thank you,
Mary Jane

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 01:25 PM

I'm glad so many have enjoyed the adventures of Shermie Bear, and Mary Jane and Elisabeth are considering a senior. Fortunately, we have many senior rescues on this forum to help pave the way for other homeless seniors, helping anyone on the fence envision the possibilities.

Bianca, Matsi is still stewing over that ball. Shermie really pulled a fast one this time!

Mary Jane, no movie on the horizon, but if I thought it would help save more seniors...

Johanna, so far, every senior I've ever brought here has moved me as well. I'm very grateful to have a platform to show their true characters and capabilities.

Patti, I'm certain he is using his new wings to watch over his good friend, Grimm, and as always, love your colorful responses. When you gonna' write your book?

Mary Ann, you can bet Angel Sherm will be flying close to his girlfriend, Cheyenne, on her day of surgery. I truly admire the way you have stepped up for Cheyenne, and so many others along the way.

Kris, my seniors have been blessed with your input and support over the years. You have been a consistent figure in their lives, and have done remarkable work with your own, Max and Murphy, rip.

And also, I just read through the entire thread again, and want to also thank Sara D, Sarah J, Sylvie, Schnickle, Charlotte & Maxwell, Qyn, Poohbearsdad, LisaT, Val, Cheryl, Elisabeth, Ruth, Jean & remarkable pakistan, DianeD, Katherine, Bonnie & Moses, Karen B, Robin, LAM, Ashley, Dawn S, Karen, Diana H, Shelby, Vanessa...so many with great advice, funny input, comforting words, similar tales...

I want to especially thank Val for offering such a comfortable, (and very creative) place to profile homeless shepherds and their rescue stories.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 03:12 PM

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Sherman sat on the euthanasia list in Commerce, Georgia. After being posted on the previous forum, many Good Samaritins quickly stepped up to help get him to safety.

Some (like Dawn S, Brigiette, & not sure if the others have signed up here) helped with the financial burden of initial vet care, because he was heartworm positive, and loaded with intenstinal parasites. In fact, his initial nickname was 'Wormie Bear', and then once he got 'cleaned out', he became Shermie Bear, hehe. He also had skin infections from severe allergies, severe ear infections, and his shelter weight was only 73 pounds.

Many others helped with advice for his medical issues, and despite having a heavy heartworm burden with abnormal chest xrays, he converted to negative within a year (Doxycyline & monthly heartguard). He was supposed to come to me as a hospice case, but thanks to so many with excellent medical advice, he ended up living like a king for two incredible years.

And of course, the most important piece of Sherman's rescue was owed to Amy Bryant from German Shepherd Rescue of East Tennessee.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TN602.html

One of her volunteers, Kristin, drove all the way from TN to Georgia to save him, then he stayed at Amy's house until all his vet work was completed. Several weeks later, Amy carefully put him onto Peterson's transport (P.E.T.S. Animal Rescue Road Trips), traveling from TN to NH, where I eagerly picked up my newest senior.

The photo story of his rescue is to follow...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 04:21 PM

I just never know what to say... Each time I read this thread, it moves me to tears - sometimes happy tears and most of the time tears for the loss of this remarkable boy and those who have gone before him. I do appreciate the kitty humor though -- that always makes me laugh!

I always thought of you and Shermie when I watched Last Chance Highway on Animal Planet. I remember the pics you posted when you picked him up. It is such an emotional thing when Kyle's truck pulls in and the new families are there. Don't think I made it through one of those episodes without getting goosebumps and using a kleenex.

Beautiful pictures and wonderful captions!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 05:25 PM

"This was my home off the streets. Nice people, but without an adopter, the inevitable would happen..."

"Luckily, volunteer Kristin bailed me outta that death chamber."

"Can you believe she drove 364 roundtrip miles from Knoxville, Tennessee to Athens, GA to save me?!"

"And then several weeks later, Amy safely turned me over to Peterson's transport...Aw, don't cry Amy."

"And THEN, I traveled 1,050 miles to start the next journey of my new life."

"In Londonderry, NH, many people stood in the rain, waiting for the big truck."

"Yay, here she comes!!!"

"Huge trailer=lots of lives saved! Wonder who will be on board this time."

"Thanks, Kyle, for getting our southern rescues here safely."

"Lots of people gathered with great enthusiasm to collect their new family members."

"OK, we're ready for the first dog."

STAY TUNED THIS EVENING TO SEE ALL THE DOGS THAT CAME OFF THE TRAILER THAT DAY, INCLUDING SHERMAN...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 05:46 PM

popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink popcorndrink
The crowd is on the very edge of their seats as we await the new beginnings for each dog waiting eagerly, anxiously in the trailer. Oh, what a story! Thank you so very much Donna-- and thank you Shermie, 'cos I know you're reading over Donna's shoulder. gsdhalo
paw

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 09:14 PM

Peterson's Transport: http://www.petsllc.net/

From their website today:
Over 29,197 pets transported since 2004!

That's over 29,197 lives saved, including Sherman & friends, seen here on November 15, 2008.

"He's going to have a wonderful life now, thank-you."

"Don't worry, you won't be afraid of me after you taste my home cooked chicken."

"I think this one belongs to you, m'am."

"He's here, FINALLY here!"

"You're perfect."

"AND, you're coming home with me."

"Or if she doesn't want you, I've got a nice comfy bed waiting for you as well."

"How did I jump from NOBODY wants me to now EVERYBODY wants me?"

"I take it these are your labs?"

"And this one?

"Anyone up for some puppy breath?"

"You are the picture of cuteness."

"And now the picture of safety as well."

"I only have eyes for you."

"Golden Huggs, to the rescue."

"Anybody waiting for ME?"

"Your new mommy is right here, dear."

"Pssst, I got myself a new mommy and daddy, too!"

"This guy belongs to me."

"You will never regret saving me, new mommy."

"Anyone waiting for this little guy?"

"Thanks for the lift, dude."

"This new guy is either terrified, or thinks he's dreaming and just doesn't want to wake up yet."

To be continued in next post...

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 11:02 PM

Sherman's transport friends being united with new families continues to move along.

Ooooo, finally, a shepherd!

And another shepherd?

"Can we go someplace a little more quiet?"

"You're much cuter than your petfinder photo."

"You smell perty."

"Smart little fellow, ain't he?"

"I hope I meet all your expectations."

"Southern dogs sure are cute."

"Um, just give me a second here to figure this all out."

"I wonder if this is what post-partum euphoria feels like."

Getting acquainted.

Down to the wire.

"Do you have a dog for us?"

"I think I see him!"

"I think those children belong to me."

Not sure who was more afraid, dog or child.

"Obviously, she doesn't have black dog syndrome."

"This is a present for our new dog, you can't have it."

"We brought you a welcome home present."

"This is all kind of scary for me."

"Trust me, you don't want to go back in there."

"You don't realize this yet, but today is your lucky day."

"Looks like I might be the last one off the truck."

"HEY, did everybody forget about ol' Shermie bear?"

"No Sherman, Amy asked uncle Kyle to let you ride up front where it's nice and quiet."

"Thanks, Amy. You're one of those aunts I could once only dream about."

"I really hope this isn't just another potty break."

"Supposedly, I've reached my destination."

"Wait. This this my new home? A parking lot?!"

TO BE CONTINUED NEXT POST.
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 11:33 PM

That whole series makes me so happy. Can't wait for the rest!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/11/11 11:43 PM

"Excuse me, who's in charge here?"

"Please tell me you didn't drive me all this way to live the rest of my life in a parking lot, sir."

"Kyle straightened me all out. NH is the closest he could get me to my new mom's house in MA."

"Gosh, I hope she can cook. I'm starving."

"Meet my new friend, Star, once a starving Alabama gal. Maybe she'll ask me out to her favorite restaurant."

"Hey look, Mcdonald's! I'll take it."

"Never underestimate ol' Shermie Bear, I learn fast."

This family sent for the biological sibling of a southern puppy they adopted the year prior. Family complete now.

Everybody is off to a good start.

And the trailer is empty and ready to head home, load up, and carry many more southern dogs to safety.

http://www.petsllc.net/about.php

P.E.T.S. LLC has become the premier rescue transport organization in the Southeast servicing the New England area. In the past few years, we have helped transport thousands of animals that would otherwise have been euthanized. We are very proud of this accomplishment and have been recognized by the American Humane Association.

http://www.petsllc.net/aha_award.php

DENVER, Nov. 21, 2006 – The American Humane Association recently honored nine outstanding organizations as national leaders in the animal welfare field for their innovative programs that effectively reduce euthanasia of companion animals. Each organization has an exceptional program that has made a measurable impact on euthanasia in their communities by reducing pet overpopulation and/or increasing the number of animals adopted.
Posted by: Crooked Creek

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/12/11 12:34 AM

happyboogie

New Homes....New Lives....

Thanks for sharing....this is heartwarming hugging grouphug

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/12/11 12:52 AM

I had tears streaming down from seeing all those dogs find their forever homes wub

And the grand finale, wonderful Shermie Bear wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/12/11 04:29 AM

This restores my faith in humanity a bit...that HUGE crowd of people anxiously awaiting their new best friends wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/12/11 11:44 AM

What a joy to see each hopeful owner and family eagerly waiting and welcoming each new little furry family member. Lives beginning anew, fresh with the promise of warm beds, ball playing, fur stroking, secrets shared, cookies noshed, car rides, and of course, safety and stability. But the most wonderful thing here is the LOVE. Little, big, floofy, smooth or bristly, each frightened, unsure shelter dog now is wrapped up in hugs, smiles, warmth. The icing on the cake, of course-- our beloved Shermie Bear! Donna, you are glowing in these pics. Paul and Star are Shermie's new family, too. And, it all starts with McDonalds.... rough life! groovy

Thank you Donna, for something so amazingly inspiring! Adopting a senior can bring so much joy, warmth, love and humor into someone's life. Shermie Bear shows the way! gsdsit

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/12/11 03:44 PM

Back to the beginning...of my love affair with Shermie Bear. I wish I wasn't dropping tears all over the computer every time I see that sweet old boy. But, in truth, I think they're tears of joy, knowing that his life was the best it had ever been the last few years. Love you, Shermie..and thanks, Donna.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 12:29 AM

I'm glad you all enjoyed Shermie's little adventure North, along with all his southern pals who were also off to a great new start in life. I am missing him very much these days, especially during our outings to the park, and find it very therapeutic to look back at all his photos.

Anyway, Shermie Bear will be back to share his pastime adventures periodically, for those who wish to revisit him with me.

**************************************************************************************
In the meantime:

Remember Sherman's new foster sister? Fourteen yo Sophie roamed from home, heading into the woods to die (according to her former owner), and then ended up in a shelter for a month while waiting for no one to come. The shelter contacted GSRNE for help, and as a result, Sophie became my new foster companion in October, 2010.

"Homelessness is not something I'd wish upon my worse enemy."

"Lots of lookers, but no takers, so here I wither away."

"Not even my teddy bear could make me feel better."

"But THEN, a nice volunteer took me out for some fresh air and sunshine."

"And next thing I knew, Chris whispered softly that GSRNE decided to make me part of their family."

"Wow, I guess there IS hope for unwanted seniors. What a miracle."

"Not a miracle. Just our devoted dog angels, paying it forward, all over again."

From GSRNE Newsletter December 1, 2010

Dear Sophie,

You don't know me, but I am an old friend of your foster mom. She suggested I write to you because we have so much in common. What she doesn't realize, is that I already know you.

You see, I was there when you were lost and hungry, roaming the hard streets of Maine. I watched as you drank from muddy puddles and rummaged through garbage pails. Then a big truck snuck up and hauled you away.

Then I was there while you wept in your kennel. Eventually, I over-heard the staff talking about your former owner, how he didn't search for you because you were old, and how he assumed you ran off into the woods to die. Then, I watched as you battled infections and struggled with pain, alone and terrified.

I was also there when the caring staff called GSRNE for help because a month at the shelter proved too much for you. Without hesitation, GSRNE scrambled to find a foster home who could manage a 14 year old dog, because yes, they DID want you.

Your vacant life and painful journey would soon end, and you would finally be embraced with respect, love, and dignity, forever safe with your new GSRNE family.

And, I am here with you, still. Behold, I am your special angel, as my job is to watch over homeless seniors. And since I once lived in the same foster home as you do now, I'd like to pass on a little advice.

First of all, keep in mind that your foster siblings can be pushy at times. I'm sure by now you've figured out that your GSRNE buddy, Nancy, will send you anything you need. So if a new bed or a new toy or a new bag of treats shows up, no doubt they are meant for you, so tell Matsi, Duke, and Sherman to bug off.

Next, don't bother chasing your new foster kitties, because they are very dog savvy and don't appreciate all the drama. If you try to push them around, that tender steak you encountered last night will seem gristly compared to your newly cooked nose.

And finally, although you have a very nice human family who will love you unconditionally: your human foster sister, Melissa, is only eight, so be patient with her; but your foster mom, Donna, is a total pushover, so make sure you take full advantage of that. Oh, and by the way, the best treats are kept in a hidden cookie jar over the refrigerator. But, you'll probably have to do mindless tricks to earn one. Duh. Human nature, I guess.

Anyway, Sophie, your wandering days are over for good now. I have led you to an incredible retirement, where you are now considered a valuable family member, and time-honored friend. As you go about your new life, remember to hold your head high to remind everyone that you didn't run away to die. Rather, you were pushed out and then struggled to live. Now LIVE!

With love and devotion,
Your special earth angel,
Nannie Millie

"Thanks, Millie! Especially for the inside scoop on the cookies, you were right, YUM!"

"Stay tuned for the adventures of Sophie, & follow her amazing transformation from lifeless throwaway, to amazing A-OK."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 01:28 PM

OK, Donna,

I can't read these posts when I'm at work. It's hard to explain why I'm crying.

Love the letter from Nannie Millie to Sophie and looking forward to learning more about her.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
OK, Donna,

I can't read these posts when I'm at work. It's hard to explain why I'm crying.

Love the letter from Nannie Millie to Sophie and looking forward to learning more about her.

Ah, Johanna, I wish I could promise you no more tears, but tears are good, means your heart is alive with love. But laughter is good, too, so hope we can provide a bit of humor along the way as well.

***************************************************************************************

"Give us a minute and we'll figure out where to go from here."

"Listen up, guys, remember the time...pspspspsps?"

"OK, we think we have a funny story to tell you now, Johanna and friends."

"One day recently, we visited Bear Cove Park."

"To say the scenery was spectacular would be an understatement."

"To say it was FREEZZZZING that day would be another understatement."

"Melissa even enjoyed taunting Matsi with pieces of her traveling glacier."

"We learned quickly that our job was to protect the girls from getting too close to the water's edge."

"In the meantime, panicky Sophie quickly decided she was too scared of river ice."

"And abruptly headed back to her comfort zone."

"But then after one final push up the footpath..."

"STUCK."

"Oh, SHOOT, this is going to get all over town, I just know it."

"Psssst. Looks like you're in a bit of a predicament."

"You tell one soul and I will have to kick your pearly white butt."

"How the heck do I FIX this before anyone else notices?"

"Maybe I should just start over again."

"Hey, granny, there's a BABY passageway at the end of the beach."

"Oh, NOOOOO, I really hope nobody's around to hear that."

"CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP GRANNY SOPHIE UP THE BABY FOOTPATH?"

"Am I allowed to eat my foster brother for desert?"

"Thank goodness for grandchildren."

"And it works both ways, as I sit and protect our greatest commodity."

"Now, on to my next journey."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 09:00 PM

wub wow paw rofl angel thumbup

It's like therapy-- we NEED these photojournal installments! I laugh and cry and feel better. But also, seing homeless seniors being taken in, made warm and safe and LOVED.... this is an amazing ministry, Donna. Duke's loudmouthed wisecracks are perfect! Sophie enjoying her warm jacket, friends, family, and a day's outing in a lovely scening spot. The storyline has me so caught up! popcorndrink I love Sophie and friends! Old dogs have so very much to teach, and so very much to give. wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 09:06 PM

Nobody says it better than Patti! Ditto!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/26/11 09:09 PM

Yes, I agree. And I enjoyed Matsi, Duke, and Sophie's outing.

I'd liked reading about her history as well, even though it tugs really hard at the heart strings.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/27/11 02:03 AM

These are terrific!!!!

I needed a smile tonight.. thanks!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/27/11 06:29 AM

Patti does say it the best! You two should join forces to write a book!

I didn't cry with this installment so that's a start! smile
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/27/11 01:16 PM

We love Granny Sophie! And miss Gramps Shermie Bear.
Thank you so much, Donna, for yet another amazing photo essay.
Chippy promises to be very discreet in case Granny Sophie needs assistance: "It's an honor!"

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 01/31/11 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: shepnterrier
We love Granny Sophie! And miss Gramps Shermie Bear.
Thank you so much, Donna, for yet another amazing photo essay.
thumbup

Thank you Donna hugging
Posted by: SaraD

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/01/11 12:34 AM

Granny Sophie looks beautiful on the baby footpath (didn't realize brother Duke was such a big mouth thought he was the quiet and shy guy hee hee) Can't wait for the next outing thanks Donna!!

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/01/11 12:52 AM

Oh! I didn't realize that Grannie Sophie had joined Shermie's thread! wub

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/01/11 06:53 AM

And the story goes on...............

I love these stories and promise I will not tell anyone Grannie Sophie was stuck.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/03/11 02:59 PM

Thanks, all, for checking in.

Bonnie, Sophie appreciates your promise. smile

Ruth, yes, she's a happy princess now.

Sara, yes, this quiet dude has many sides to him. Unlike your shy burst of sunshine, Duke can be quite sarcastic.

Charlotte, you're welcome, glad to show her off, of course.

Elisabeth, we love to put smiles on faces here, hehe.

Sarah, until Chippy and Sophie meet again.

Johanna, I agree, reading the history is important despite emotions, because it demonstrates all the possibilities for dogs like Sophie.

Bianca, I've told Patti the same thing. There is a book in her somewhere.

Kris, I agree. Patti has an amazing talent for writing, and soon I hope it will be put to good use. wink

Patti, you couldn't have said it better. And I LOVE to watch these seniors flourish in their new homes.

Posted by: Qyn

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/03/11 07:00 PM

I missed this latest instalment - wonderful and heart warming as usual. The shot of the water with Melissa, Matsi and the travelling glacier makes me expect to see polar bears.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/03/11 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Qyn
I missed this latest instalment - wonderful and heart warming as usual. The shot of the water with Melissa, Matsi and the travelling glacier makes me expect to see polar bears.

Hehe. Alison, to BE there, in the frigid air, icicles in my hair, stinging cold on my nose, fingers too numb to press the shutter anymore...I did watch for bears.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/03/11 08:57 PM

The look on Sophie's face that goes with caption "Am I allowed to eat my foster brother for desert?" is sooooooo funny. She looks like she means exactly what the caption says. *giggling*

I've been too miserable this past week to spend time going through posts so just stumbled across this latest series. Priceless. Soph seems to be enjoying herself (even though getting stuck can be sooooooooooo humiliating..LOL) and it was great to see the pics. I miss seeing Shermie .. kept looking at the pics expecting him to pop up on the edge of one or another of them but it was still fun to see them.

Love the captions...keep them coming.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/03/11 09:56 PM

"Are you guys enjoying your winter so far?"

"Didn't someone once say winter was more for the young?"

"But I'm 14, and I love it, too!"

"Hey, dude, you better start moving that body if you want to survive this bitter cold."

"Make him put on his coat!"

"Waaaa, I'm freezing mom."

"Pssst. Did you just whine to your mother?"

"OK, then, GO HOME TO YOUR CRIB!"

"Hey, where did everybody go?"

"Just checking out the weather from higher ground, Sophie."

"Brrrrrrrrrrrr."

"Duke, we need to get Nannie Sophie out of here, storm's moving in."

"I don't know, sis, I kinda' like it here."

"Haaay, Mr. Weatherman. This is no longer the winter blast to enjoy!"

"Sophie, need to round up Duke, be right back!"

"I guess I'm on my own here...or AM I?"

"Excuse me,sir, the blast you experience here can be reproduced tenfold in the warmth of my home."

"Did I just witness our grandmother pick up that young Rottie guy?"

"Oooo, I can't wait to see what kind of car he drives..."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/04/11 03:13 AM

I miss seeing Shermie .. kept looking at the pics expecting him to pop up on the edge of one or another of them but it was still fun to see them.

December 6th, 2010, 9 days before Sherman passed, and what would turn out to be his final dogpark adventure. Foster dad Danny and I gathered up our six shepherds between us, with the goal to do a photoshoot of his new foster dog named Sable.

"Yep, that's me, Sable. I was the star of the day."

"I'm Rocky, his foster brother, and I'm trying to find out exactly WHO dug this hole."

"It was NOT me, honest!"

"Don't look THIS way for the answer."

"YOU didn't do it, did you pal?"

"DON'T go there."

"Hey foster bro, cover me, will ya?"

"Pssst, I really think Rocky is in denial about his digging obsession."

"We all have SOMETHING, don't we?"

"Not me, I gave MINE up awhile ago."

"Up until about 5 minutes ago, that is."

"I personally don't have ANY obsessions."

"Although some are obsessed with ME. Easy girl."

"Let me at 'em."

"Hey Sable, can you help me out, please?"

"Next time, keep your paws off my packmates."

"I know you're busy foster dad, so I'll just help myself, thank-you."

"Wooaa, Sophie, where's the fire?"

"No fire, just a little TRINKET to calm my nerves."

"Hey, Matsi, I'm having a really good time today."

"But every good day must come to an end, I suppose."

"And now look, it's closing time."

"Everybody come together now."

"OK, we need to stay as a group on this path."

"There goes one straggler, attempting an unpalatable drink."

"We're such a fun little family, aren't we?"

"This might be the end of the road, darn it."

"So, exactly how many shepherds CAN you fit into one vehicle?"

"Just ONE in the front, but shhhh, don't tell anyone, it's against the rules."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/05/11 01:22 AM

Donna,

I find it remarkable that one dog can have such an amazingly recognizable face. I saw the first pic with Shermie and a smile immediately lit up my face. I knew it was him at once. "And now look, it's closing time" is such a 'premonition', isn't it. I now understand how wonderful it was for him to be at home amongst his best friends/family when his time came.

When Thor's vet said it was much better that Thor was home with Freya and me and not on some cold steel table in a vet's office with none of his loved ones around when it came time for him to take his first step towards the bridge, I thought of Shermie at once. I'm sure that Shermie is showing Thor around out there in the great meadow and it makes me smile to think that, even through the tears.

I miss them both.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/05/11 06:06 PM

Ah, Shermie! How nice of you stop in for a cameo appearance. Yes - your face is immediately recognizable and makes me smile to see it.

When I looked at the 14 year old in the shelter in California, I thought of you. I wish all seniors could have had the twilight years you did.

Nannie Millie and Shermie - thank you for helping us all see our seniors in the proper light.

Puppy bows to you!

Sophie, you got it girl! Keep bringing your stories to us. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/05/11 06:21 PM

Ah, Shermie! How nice of you stop in for a cameo appearance. Yes - your face is immediately recognizable and makes me smile to see it.

When I looked at the 14 year old in the shelter in California, I thought of you. I wish all seniors could have had the twilight years you did.

Nannie Millie and Shermie - thank you for helping us all see our seniors in the proper light.

Puppy bows to you!

Sophie, you got it girl! Keep bringing your stories to us. hugging

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/07/11 11:20 AM

Donna,

I find it remarkable that one dog can have such an amazingly recognizable face...When Thor's vet said it was much better that Thor was home with Freya and me and not on some cold steel table in a vet's office with none of his loved ones around when it came time for him to take his first step towards the bridge, I thought of Shermie at once. I'm sure that Shermie is showing Thor around out there in the great meadow and it makes me smile to think that, even through the tears.

"We're all in this meadow together, Diane. And Thor sends his love."

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/07/11 01:20 PM

Shermie,

Why don't you look up Rica in the meadow? I'm sure she'd love to hang out with a handsome guy like you.

PS - The fastest way into her heart is to offer her a ball.

Re: Commerce, GA Senior large male - 02/07/11 08:06 PM

Thanks, ShermieBear (she says through her tears of love). I knew I could count on you.

And Johanna, I'm sure Thor will be searching out Rica (he was always a ladies man..LOL). If she has a squeaky toy, he'll be happy to trade a ball for it.

*from Thor* Just contemplating my new life and friendships........Sherm looks to become my BFF. Oh, and I'm okay, Mom, really I am.