When you can't help...

Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

When you can't help... - 11/22/10 01:31 PM

Which happens ALL the time - I mean, impossible to help all the dogs. And I get and accept that (well, not accept-you know what I mean).

But then sometimes one comes through that hits you hard...I just got a forward of a local dog, and I would bet money that she is Bella's sister. Seriously. She's 8, is getting eye drops, and well...looks just like her. She sounds a little skitchy temperament wise (also like Bella has been in the past) just needs a strong leader - so a difficult to place dog overall. I am switching employers at the New Year and need to be distraction free (as much as possible) for that transition time so have decided not to foster.

I am offering pictures and a more comprehensive "eval" and BDBH will courtesy post her if she's spayed...but don't know if the people who have her will take me up on this.

They said she has until Wednesday and I don't know what that means. Her person went into a nursing home and the picture they sent was of her with Santa. So heartbreaking to think of this dog who was loved enough to see Santa...and now what?
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: When you can't help... - 11/22/10 01:45 PM

Oh no! That is heartbreaking. teary I hope that she can get spayed and someone will step up to foster her. I hate it when there is a date on the dog's life. mad

I think it's hardest when they look or sound like your own dogs. And there is so much guilt for those of us who have fostered in the past but can't do it when a dog that really pulls at our heartstrings comes up. But then I think of all the other people who have never fostered and I think, "Why can't they take just one dog?" Because if everyone were willing to foster (and/or adopt) just one dog it would go a long way towards saving these dogs.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/22/10 04:54 PM

Good-ish update - the dog has til at least after Thanksgiving now - she has someone to watch her while they are gone. Whew. And she seemed interested in the pics and eval. So that's good. I just don't want her to fall off the radar like they sometimes do.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/22/10 05:17 PM

Oh, thank goodness. Maybe you can help them keep her or at least come up with a plan to make it easier for them to continue to foster her until she finds a home.

Probably between the pannus and life change she feels the need to take charge and is making some bad decisions about appropriate behavior. Hopefully some advice from Jean and Bella will be just the thing they need. crossedfingers

Re: When you can't help... - 11/23/10 11:12 PM

So! Their person fell through and Mindy is at my vet office right now after picking her up this afternoon. It was that or a shelter. Not the place for an 8 yo GSD.

She currently looks NOTHING like Bella! rofl She could have been her in the picture! I do think they could be related though - I see a similarity in their heads. Not sure if you can have huge differences in structure in a litter - her body type is shorter, with the more downed pasterns. The BYB breeder lines Bella is from were I guess used quite a bit so they could be cousins or whatever it's called. She is a rough 8 though. Like Courtney Love rough (though I am guessing not for the same reasons)!

She will stay at the vet until the people get back from vacation on Monday and we will go from there. She did really well when I dropped her off. They are going to check her eyes and stuff and I will go visit her on Friday and Saturday.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/23/10 11:15 PM

Oh dear...I hope the writing on the wall that I see is just a figment of my imagination... poke
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: When you can't help... - 11/23/10 11:18 PM

I was thinking the same thing wink

Re: When you can't help... - 11/24/10 09:59 AM

la la la I can't hear you.
Posted by: myamom

Re: When you can't help... - 11/24/10 12:20 PM

Make sure you visit her lots and lots...take pie for the vet
wink
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: When you can't help... - 11/24/10 09:07 PM

Ah - selective hearing. So good of you to help her. The santa picture gets me too. A good reminder for all of us to be sure who would take and care for our dogs if something happened to us.

Kudos to you for all you do!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 09:42 AM

I brought fruits - pie seemed too heavy after Thanksgiving. wink

Selective hearing - just like my dogs!

So - this dog has the same birth month as Bella, I saw that in her records. Indulge me if you will in this photo question below.

Here is Bella:

Here is this other dog whenever the Santa pic was taken:

Here is the poor thing now:

REALLY bad picture of Bella with her in the kennel:

First, what happened? frown Her eight and Bella's eight...oof.
Second, I still think they resemble each other - am I just trying to see that?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 12:15 PM

I think she and Bella DID look exactly alike!!! I think her circumstances have taken a dramatic toll on this poor girl.....

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 12:49 PM

They do look alike, Jean. You are not imagining it! poke smile

How is she doing at the kennel? Did Bella like her and vise-versa?
Posted by: LJsMom

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 04:16 PM

She looks so sad. I hope someone (cough, Jean, cough) can take her in.
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 05:20 PM

Oh, Jean, she so looks like your dear Bella! So much love and potential. What a fall she has had from her Santa picture days. She just needs someone to offer her safety and warmth and some love for a while, gsdhalo until her life can settle into a permanent home. She's as beautiful and as soulful-eyed as Bella, but she has been through so much.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 07:22 PM

How sad to see how she has aged. The difference between a loved dog and one that has no real home. I hope she finds one soon.

Or a really good foster home. (Jean) whistling
Posted by: katieliz

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/10 08:03 PM

when i saw the post "lalala i can't hear you", i laughed. then when i got to the picture after the one with santa, i cried.

beautiful old soul.
Posted by: matsired

Re: When you can't help... - 11/28/10 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: katieliz

beautiful old soul.

Ditto. I love her. I'd take her in a heartbeat if I wasn't already over my limit.

Jean, what is her status? Where is she?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/10 01:46 PM

Is she back with her people now? The people who don't want her longterm?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/10 02:14 PM

She is still at my vet office - the whole Mariele wub thing kind of threw me off. She and Mariele met through the kennel while I was there without any issues, and the staff at the vet office said she's doing really well. She's had a bath, which...was more than needed. The problem, in addition to her age, for a rescue with a number of special needs dogs already is that she has eye issues and unknown (front legs) and known (HD) ortho issues. Blah.

I know, katieliz, can you believe she's only 8.5?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/10 02:17 PM

The people won't take her back?

She sounds like a nice dog with some typical (and atypical?) health issues. The people probably didn't know how to handle her. frown

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/10 02:20 PM

She's living outside in a kennel by herself there...so....

frown

And I don't think she does have those issues - like you said - I think she may have not THE best temperament, but she's been wonderful at the vet office with the receptionists (who brought her up front on Saturday to hang out) and the kennel ladies - they have done everything to her and she's been great.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/10 03:44 PM

Oh that's ridiculous. An outside kennel? No wonder she looks so old and worried. That just stinks. frown

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/10 11:10 PM

I know. frown

She's a chatterer - both talky and that choppa choppa thing with the teeth. A lot of personality!

Those are her legs. The one vet looked at them and said that her ligaments are loose - and if he had to guess why it could be because she was overweight (she's down to 66# now so that's good but was at least 20# heavier as recently as April), even though we don't think she lived in a kennel, we don't know...and don't know how active she was, and he also thought possibly poor nutrition - well fed, but not fed well. Also the propensity for this to happen has to figure in there.

One toe actually sticks up like she's drinking tea. Like no ligament connection...

Interesting right? Any thoughts? I googled and must not be using the right words.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/10 11:29 PM

Jean if you Goggle weak pasterns I found this

http://www.grunfeldshepherds.com/article...conditions.html
Posted by: Selzer

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/10 11:52 PM

Wow, thanks for the link Val, that was interesting.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 10:47 AM

VERY interesting - thanks Val!

So I wonder, has the low protein ship sailed for an 8.5 yo dog?

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 03:42 PM

Anyone got any name suggestions...
paranoid
I think it's going to be Chloe...
Posted by: Kris

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 04:21 PM

Reba, Miranda, Martina (can you tell I watched the Country Music Christmas special this week!!)
Celine
Rachel
Kelly
Josie
Dena
Sarah
Natalie
Posted by: Tri-Shepherd

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 04:29 PM

Lacy
Lady
Lexi
Angel

I can't quite put my finger on what name would fit her well. I think something wise and majestic needs to be considered though. She seems to be an old very wise and deep soul. If there is one thing I am bad at it is naming female dogs. The boys are always so much easier :p

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 04:57 PM

Deedra, Melancholy. A variant of the older name Deirdre In Celtic legend Deirdre died of a broken heart.

Kathline, Pure at heart

Re: When you can't help... - 12/02/10 05:14 PM

Sonia (means beautiful girl)

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 11:27 AM

THANK YOU for the name suggestions. I tried some and she wasn't responding to different sounds at all so I went with a name that means gracious, dear (I think) and is kind of Serbian like Luka's name, and also sounds a little like her current name, Mindy (Bella was Brandy), so her new name is...Mila.

This will be her website write up:
Mila FKA Mindy

Hi Everyone! Whew - I am new and pretty confused. My mom got me as a baby puppy and we lived together all my life - we were all that each other had in the whole world and we were so devoted to each other (and our two kitties). Things were great but then my mom got sick - we thought she would get better. I went to stay at a relative's house and lived outside in a kennel - a nice kennel - but I am a beautiful German Shepherd girl and like to be with people more than anything else. Then we found out my mom would not get better and would have to live in a nursing home forever. I know she would never leave me if she could help it - and I keep looking for her.

The people at BDBH felt really bad for me - I was going to have to go to something called a shelter before Thanksgiving. Something tells me that would not have been good because I kept hearing them say I would not do well in a shelter. So I got to stay at a vet office for the holidays. I know what you're thinking, that doesn't sound like much fun, but it was! I had my very own kennel ladies - I am pretty sure they were there just for me - and so many other nice people paying attention to me all the time. I would call for them when they weren't talking to me - they called it barking - I was just reminding them I needed some love. I got to go up front with the nice ladies there, and met a couple of vets too. I was a very good girl during my exams even though they were kind of rude, touching me all over like that! I even got a bath from another new friend. It was like visiting a fancy spa.

Now I am in something called a foster home and there are kitties here too! That makes me wag my tail to see them. I am still not sure what is going on - this is all so new to me, but I have a nice soft bed, and am even starting to eat again. There are other dogs and one looks JUST like me. In fact, she might be my sister, for real! We hung out a little yesterday and I have to say, I am jealous because she is not as gray as I am. But then again, she's never had to worry like I have. I hope someday soon I have a new forever home with people who will love me as much as I love them - and that will be a lot!

Mila is spayed, up to date on her shots, and heartworm negative. Mila is a local girl. She is only 8.5 but looks older right now. We are working on helping her to feel happier and know that she will look her age soon!

New pics - checking the place out:

This tired her out! Look at the wobbly front leg:

She is SUPER sweet, with a teeny bit of sass because she's a girl:

So I guess I'll have to move this thread...

hammer
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 11:37 AM

I swear that there must be an underground railroad to Jeanspackistan. How long, one week-two weeks after Luka finds his forever family, sweet Mila gets another chance a the home she had and lost.

Some of you (and you know who I mean) really work wonders day by day.

thanks,
MJ

PS
she already looks better

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 12:02 PM

Mila is in the best place she could ever be. She has such a sweet face, eyes yet still filled with worry as she tries to understand that she is now in a warm, safe place filled with love. A healing place. bloomrose Jean, she will blossom under your care! cheers Sending good thoughts to you, Mila, and The Packistanies! butterfly

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 01:56 PM

Oh...I'm missing a lot by limiting my forum time!

I see that Mila is in her new foster home now! And she looks so happy! Thanks Jean, from the bottom of my heart, for making room for this dog. She deserves a loving retirement home and I'm sure she will blossom under the care of you and your pack and will find a wonderful home.
Posted by: Good_Karma

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 02:11 PM

Wow!!! Sometimes it does seem as though everything happens for a reason. Best of luck to you Jean in performing yet another miracle, I know you can do it!

ETA: Love the new name.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 02:17 PM

Awww Jean, bless your huge, gigantic, loving heart for fostering Mila (love the name!). She looks a little rough around the edges, but I'm betting within a couple of weeks, we'll see a brand new girl! She sure does resemble Bella... How sweet that she was happy to see your kitties. Do you know what happened to her kitties? I hope they ended up in a loving home together. There's a little spark in her eye in the picture where she's running. She probably just hasn't figured out yet that everything is going to be okay, but she will!

Many thanks to you and BDBH... hugging
Posted by: Tara

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 05:57 PM

I guess you got to help after all! smile Thanks for taking her in!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 06:33 PM

Mila is beautiful = she already looks less sad. I'm so happy you could do this for her.

thanks, Jean!
Posted by: Lexi

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 07:15 PM

Oh, this is wonderful....I missed this update. Thank you for taking her in!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 10:42 PM

So happy to see this thread in this forum - Jean, you are a star. I hope that this doesn't mess you up to much with the job stuff.

Has she had her thyroid checked?

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/10 11:44 PM

If I am a dog in need I want to be taken to Jean's house where I will get really good care and started on my way to find a furevery home.
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 01:39 AM

Wow Jean... you are such an amazing person.

I am honoured to "know" you, really. It makes me teary eyed to know that these loving sweet furry babies have someone in the corner helping them as you do.

What a wonderful person you are!
Posted by: bianca

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 06:27 AM

There is beautiful Mila wub I love her new name it suits her. Thank you so much for doing what you do Jean, you are an inspiration smile
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 09:23 AM

awwww what a beautiful girl:),,Jean you are amazing,,I love the 'selective hearing' you have LOL...hey there's this male aussie that I know of, (just kidding!) LOL

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 04:38 PM

I'm so happy for Mila! Jean, you ROCK!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 08:49 PM

lalalala, you heard the call after all! and yet another lucky dog lands in your care for a while!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/10 11:09 PM

Yeah...I did hear it. I tried! Foster failure takes on another definition here right, I fail at not fostering. Trying to plug the underground railroad entrance! wink

And you all are too kind - I mean, everyone does so much. There are fosters with dogs that are just...so needy, and people do do the transport stuff, and home check coordinating, all sorts of people, plus people who help by donating, there's a lot. Thank you.

I do not know what happened to the kitties - I really hope they got a home.

Mila is eating - she is liking her meals now - I give her some Merrick canned (old reliable for fussy fosters) and some kibble with Nupro water and she's liking that. She weighed 20# more as of April 2010 - so not that long ago. I definitely want to help her keep it off. Her thyroid has not been checked - she has to go to the eye doctor so that's her first cost. Well, her third, because boarding was one, then her eye meds came!

And wow, forgot that fostering a dog who is a senior in rough shape is so low key. We are slowly increasing her walks in the yard and that's about it!

Her pastern doesn't look so downed at this angle, but the interesting thing (to me anyway!) is her pinky toe sticking straight up like a proper girl drinking tea...

She and Bella met - no good pictures of that, so here is one of the bad ones! grin Bella's pasterns actually looked down there...weird! They are not that bad.

I ended up getting one of each of them actually looking at me...

Sweet old (a little bossy) lady...

Looking forward to some happier times...

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/10 04:25 AM

Oh Mila you are such a sweet looking girl wub great news she is enjoying her yumyums now smile I love her tea drinking pinky! Would that be from an old break?

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/10 07:42 AM

Mila hugging I hope you get to feeling happier soon! You're in a great place sweet girl.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/10 11:24 AM

What a sweet girl! I had a feeling as soon as I read the first post that she would end up in your pack.

I hope she finds a wonderful forever home.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/10 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
What a sweet girl! I had a feeling as soon as I read the first post that she would end up in your pack.

I hope she finds a wonderful forever home.

Ditto!!! I can't wait to see the installments in her journey to her forever home...as she blossoms under your care. smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/10 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Lexi
I can't wait to see the installments in her journey to her forever home...as she blossoms under your care. smile

Ditto!!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/07/10 09:19 AM

Jean!! You are one awesome lady!! I am soooo happy this girl is safe under your loving care...I'm sure she's in heaven!!

I too can't wait to watch her wonderful journey.

Maybe she and Cheyenne can have tea together...LOL
Posted by: Qyn

Re: When you can't help... - 12/07/10 08:39 PM

She does already look better than that sad picture. Again, like others, thank you Jean for taking her in and giving her this opportunity. She does have very similar face marking to Bella.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/10 11:38 PM

I could stare at this one photo all day long. Her eyes speak volumes here.

I'm in love with sweet old lady Mila. Wish I knew what she were thinking.

Her colors are very interesting to look at. She's really different. Jean, you are very lucky to be BOTH foster mommy and photographer to beautiful Mila.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/10/10 12:20 AM

Thanks all! She would love to have tea with Cheyenne. They could gossip!

The pinky toe is from loose ligaments just totally kind of giving up on the job!

I am wondering if her coat is going to start coming in darker? I don't know, it is different. I hope to get some more pics tomorrow if it's nice. Thank you Donna.

I've been giving her the double doses of Springtime joint, Fresh Factors, and their gel caps. I have already seen a difference - she can hop now - when she comes in from potties, she does a little jump and it is adorable. The cats are her favorite things. We do yard laps for exercise - not a lot, because it's cold and her legs are not great, but I am seeing a little youth coming back.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/10/10 03:43 AM

Looking forward to more pictures. She looks very pleased to be in a real home again. The gray is probably from a lot of worrying...I know that's where Rafi gets it! crazy

How are she and the pack adjusting to each other? I bet Dylan is ticked that you replaced his buddy with an old lady. wink

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/10 11:01 AM

Is Rafi a worrier? Poor dogs!

She is doing well with the other dogs - she is very appropriate and very polite, not that interested - the cats are her wub . We went to meet/greet for a short time yesterday (riding in the car in her makes me really think she's related to Bella - both prove the Theory of Relativity confused2 with the noises and whining) and she was excellent there with the other dogs and everyone she met. The information we got on her indicated that might not be the case with all people, but she has loved everyone she's met at the vet office and with me. Way more than I am used to with my own dogs who are indifferent at best. smile

We also had the groomer at the store finish brushing her out from her vet office grooming, and do another nail trim.

As you can see, she enjoyed this!

Is everyone looking at ME?!?

As well they should. smile

Thanks for looking!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/10 11:26 AM

Wow, she looks like she handled the grooming very well! Better than I would bet either of mine would.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/10 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Mila had a good hair day!

She's remembering that life can be good in the right home.

thanks,
MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/10 04:09 PM

She's soaking up all that great attention - yay for Mila!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/13/10 12:15 PM

rofl Yeah - mine go to a special place where it's quiet and it's just us and there's Mila up in the window looking around like the belle of the ball!

She did have a good hair day - and I do think she's getting happier and happier.

She's the social sister, Bella the more reserved. Both have a silliness and are sweet. Mila is going to make someone very happy because she's already given me a fair share of laughs and smiles.

Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/13/10 02:35 PM

I changed her header info.

She looks great! So happy to be out and about. I'm so thankful you took her in.

Rafi is a huge worrier! That's why he carries the ball or a toy all of the time. He spends his time worrying about when his next walk will be or when I'm coming home...or when I'm going to pay more attention to Cleo than to him. Silly boy!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/13/10 06:42 PM

That's it, Mila. Work it! Yes, we are all looking at you.

What a charmer, Jean. What a gift! christmastree

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/14/10 02:24 PM

WOW look at the change in her. I hope she can find a furever home.
Posted by: shepnterrier

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 12:17 AM

She is SUPER sweet, with a teeny bit of sass because she's a girl:

wub wub wub

Donna said to look, Mila's expression and penciled eyebrows reminded her of Feli. Yep, it does. Love that picture. Love deep dogs with sass. Chippy's tail would go propeller if he'd meet her!

Thank you so much for scooping her up and saving her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 12:01 PM

Mila the Grand Old Dame

Before Jean and the Packastan

After a short time with Jean and the Packastan

What a great change.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 02:20 PM

You know, I thought there was a resemblance to Feli, but wasn't sure because I did not "know" her. Chip would certainly be pleased to meet her.

She does look happier, doesn't she? I saw this and thought I needed to get some more pics today. I also have been holding off on introducing her to my dogs so much because there has been a stomach bug going around. Ugh.

But Mario hasn't had it so I thought maybe start with him - he has always charmed older women. wink

Inspiration point?

Life's too short to be subtle cutie!

Oh yeah, it's on!

Show this to Theravet! (or send to Springtime!)

Keep up sonny!

Okay, maybe slow down, sonny!

Yes, better - chase me, chase me!

You don't scare me, Mila, I was raised by Ilsa and Kramer!

Mario has an Ear-Ection! (can I say that here - is that too bad? He's so darned cute with his ears up)

Hey Romeo, come back down and play (excuse all the pooper scooper tools):

What fun - thank you Mario.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 02:24 PM

Your dogs are SO good with other dogs, Jean. It's just amazing how they can get these dogs to play. wub

I wonder if Mila is interested in moving to Massachusetts? She's good with cats...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 02:30 PM

Mila would love Massachusetts I am sure! wink

This really reminded me of watching Nina play - Mario wasn't around yet, but she was so happy to learn. Mario is just about the sweetest thing in the world so I figured he'd be a good one to start her with. He loved it too.

And she has already gotten 2 inquiries - isn't that amazing - 3 weeks - it took Luka 5 months to get 2 inquiries and that was before he was dx with EPI!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 02:34 PM

Yike Mario is adorable, but with his ears-- erect he is stunning.

Mila looks like she had a good time playing with Mario. She looks so much younger and happier. Jean and the Packastan is great medicine.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 02:41 PM

What do you call a therapy dog for other dogs?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 06:55 PM

Canine canine therapist

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/27/10 08:47 PM

If those pictures don't make yo smile, nothing can. Mila IS a grand Old Dame. hugging

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/28/10 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
If those pictures don't make yo smile, nothing can. Mila IS a grand Old Dame. hugging

thumbup

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 12/28/10 05:40 PM

Canine canine therapist. Very nice! And can you believe Mario looks like that with ears - I think there was a reason his ears had to stay down - girl dogs would be flinging their collars at him like he was some kind of Tom Jones!

Mila is a smile girl - I can't help but smile - even when she's making me go all the way into the yard with her at midnight in the cold so she can potty. I just love her.

And I am amazed to say I just got her 3rd adoption inquiry - in 3 weeks - for a senior! That makes me so happy for seniors in general, that there are people out there looking for them.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 12:55 PM

Mila went to Thera-Vet for an eval of her ortho issues. Very interesting! They are looking at carpal splints to help her wrists from breaking down further - I think one of my IMOM friends might sponsor that for her too, which would be great. They also listed 6 modalities (plus the splints) that they would like to use on her in therapy (multiple visits) because her hips are also not great - so that's a discussion for the rescue! There's a company called TheraPaws and then the Dog Leg ones. But her back is good - which is huge - her back is shorter and she has a nice level topline (according to the vet).

I told them she was like a marionette trying to mountain climb in her movement - you can see she guts it out!

I think the many things all these vets have listed prior have caused her body to move in ways it shouldn't, and hopefully it can move back somewhat!

She did really well there - but she sings, pants, and drools in the car like her sister. It was a looooong ride and made me think of Einstein/relativity!

Oh boy, more people groping me!

And groping me!

But I was such a good girl with it all!

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Are you all listening?

I played with a toy yesterday. smile

This toy right here...

Not always easy to grab it!

Just push myself a little lower and get it...

Get back here toy!

Yep, I did it!

Thanks for looking.

Next week is her eye appointment and I need them to give me some holding hints to do her drops. She is way smarter than I am.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 01:02 PM

wub wub wub

she played with a toy! happyboogie i love it when they do that...you and your pack are the best, jean!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 01:10 PM

These pics made me grin ear to ear!!!! wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 01:14 PM

Jean, your photos and captions are great. Funny person=funny dog, hehe.

How did you you end up with a solid black background for that gorgeous portrait of Mila? Also love the 'are you listening' shot. Very dignified woman.

Did I say how much I love her coloring? Gorgeous senior! All that gray makes her age that much more gracefully. Keep the pictures coming.

Anyway, good luck at the eye doctor's.
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 01:48 PM

What a terrific update!

I am so thrilled and so is she.. look how happy and proud she looks in those photo's!

Jean's at it again.. giving another miracle to another well deserved pupster!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 02:02 PM

Jean you are so great for bringing dogs out of their defeated protective shell. Mila looks so happy now. Bless you, the rescue and the pack.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 03:30 PM

Great captions just drew me in - she is a grand girl and you and your support team (your pack included!) are doing such an outstanding job!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 03:41 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember Jean having some conflict about fostering Mila-maybe her career? It again proves that some hearts are always big enough for one more.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 04:51 PM

Mila is sure in a good place right now. Lucky, lucky dog.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 05:49 PM

As much as I love fostering puppies (more likely forget the pain, kind of like childbirth) you can bond so easily and quickly with an adult. Especially one who acts like your dog, with just a little difference.

She looks big in that side shot - she's 60# right now. She's lost almost 30# since leaving her mom - which is great, but bad in how she probably lost it - stress and sadness. "defeated protective shell" is exactly it, isn't it? Now she runs up and gives kisses - she is just a sweet, sweet girl. It seems like these dogs are all just waiting for the chance - and a person to give it to them - not just me!

Donna - I zoomed so she was framed with a dark background behind her on the right - almost totally black - there was a window and a nice light and a nice shadow, but didn't realize I had gotten it til I looked at the pictures. Then I just made the black true black, and cloned black on the left the corner that was the floor. I over did the eyes - she has the cloudy haze and I wanted to take it out. I also missed a spot on the right that I need to fix!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 06:09 PM

Mila played with a toy! party Such gorgeous pictures of her, Jean. She has hope in her eyes now and a spring in her step. goodjob We love you, Mila! wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 06:11 PM

She loves the love! Thank you Patti!

AND she has (one confirmed, one said they were coming last week did not hear lately) 2 people coming to see her on Saturday at Meet/Greet. Isn't that so cool for a girl that I would say was older if I didn't have her sister who is definitely not older, nope, she is not. paranoid2

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/06/11 06:20 PM

She played with a toy - wow...I'll bet that was quite a moment for you, Jean. Makes my eyes tear up to know that she's discovered something new and fun. I'm sure she learned it from Mario 'cause he's the best! wub Keeping my fingers crossed that one of the families is a perfect match for her!! goodluck

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/07/11 08:35 PM

Wonderful...can't wait to hear how her weekend meet and greet's go smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/07/11 09:52 PM

Good luck with the meet and greet Mila! Has she been to one before? I can't remember. I hope she has fun!
Posted by: Sage's mom

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 01:06 AM

I won't be on again until Monday so I wanted to say good luck at the meet and greet Mila! hugging

Jean thank you for taking this wonderful girl in. Her smile brings tears to my eyes. It's wonderful to see her be a dog again and know that she doesn't have to worry anymore.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 09:28 PM

Dying to know how the meet and greets went
popcorndrink
Posted by: SunCzarina

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 09:55 PM

Mila looks beautiful and happy now. I love to see that sparkle in an old girl's eyes!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 10:08 PM

I love watching that popcorn icon! I just sat here forgetting I was supposed to be posting.

Meet and Greet went well - Mila had been one other time, for a short period of time - today we were there a couple of hours. She was great with all people and dogs - she tried to steal a couple of purses (either to help another mature lady, her long distance friend Cheyenne - or to cover her therapy at Theravet!). Seriously - she tries to grab purses. I love that!

She also punched me - hard - in the stomach twice. A punch! One of the two people interested came to visit her and I walked a couple of feet away - Mila was not happy and jumped up on me, but with her floopy floppy legs sometimes she doesn't have control and both times she nailed me with a paw/fist! rofl She is such a character.

Mila also did well with the woman who visited with her. This woman got to see Mila's legs - and gait - and we talked about things related to that, so everyone has lots to think about (and a home invasion* yet - but her application has been processed). We are going to keep in touch - she didn't run out of the store or anything so that's great! They got along very well.

*sometimes known as home check, but the one for Luka there were four of us...

I am just so happy that Miss Mila can go out, have a good time, has a person interested in adopting her in only a month. I am amazed at how she is so social and appropriate. And NOSY. She watched everything happening in that store - so much like Nina - Gladys Kravitz, the second!

Yes, I like to know what's going on.

Oh, this is the best!

Hanging with two of the girls, gossiping about the people...

Thanks for looking, caring and checking on Mila!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 10:32 PM

goodjob

You go girl!!

Love,
Cheyenne

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/08/11 11:00 PM

Wow, great job Mila!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 01:07 AM

How cool! cool I like that lady Mila! Even if she's a wanna-be felon! laugh

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 06:06 AM

rofl at the stealing of the purses! What a character she is wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 08:59 AM

Mila knows what old ladies can get away with! "What? This is MY purse! Oh it isn't? Well, my mistake, heavens!"

Loved the picture of her enjoying a rub down! Glad she had a nice time at the meet and greet.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 09:42 AM

LOL...TRUE LEAH!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Good_Karma
Mila knows what old ladies can get away with! "What? This is MY purse! Oh it isn't? Well, my mistake, heavens!"

spitcoffee

Little felon dog! She also got pushy when we were outside taking pictures of other dogs - another volunteer was holding her. Mila has really gotten to like getting her picture taken so when I was making noises trying to get the other dog's attention she was hitting me with her nose - like - look at me, I am ready for a picture - and at one point even jumped on my back while I was crouched down - "ME! I want MY picture - I know how to pose. These guys are amateurs. Sheesh!"

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 12:29 PM

I'm loving Mila! That first picture is devine.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 12:58 PM

Mila hasn't just broken out of her shell she has come bursting out. I wonder if in her previous life she stole goodies from the owners or families purse. But you know a fashionable dame can't have too many purses.
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/09/11 07:33 PM

But it's nice of her to be thinking of Cheyenne.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/10/11 12:58 PM

I remain impressed to my bones that this sad creature

harbors this diva

I

only waiting for the curse of the shelter to be lifted by the kiss of Jeanspackistan-or the warm hearts and hearths of you other gifted, generous rescuers.

Regular people who want dogs should know the potential gems they can find in rescue. Maybe when George Clooney has finished helping out in Sudan he can turn to this issue.

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/10/11 02:14 PM

'...harbors this diva' rofl

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/10/11 05:24 PM

Mila has blossomed!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/11/11 01:11 PM

Had not checked back on this for awhile and I am so happy to hear that Mila is doing so well. Can't wait to hear about her continuing journey to a new and happy life. (Not that life with the pack would be less happy but that leaves another spot for another hapless dog.):)

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 01/11/11 01:19 PM

"Gladys Kravitz"... rofl Gives me the perfect take on her personality. It is amazing how she has blossomed. I didn't realize how much she had changed until MJ posted those two pics above. Definitely a diva at this point - and she deserves to be!!!

Nice job, Jean and Jeanspackistan... hugging

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/03/11 05:56 PM

What's diva Mila been up to lately?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/16/11 12:17 AM

yes, please, do tell...(that would be "show and tell", with more fabulous pictures please)!

ps...ear-ection...you are too, too funny!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/18/11 09:48 PM

rofl Harbors this diva!

Yes - she did come busting out. She's even been being bad to the kitties (chasing, batting, nosing - we are working on it).

She's really kind of a wackadoo. grin I truly enjoy that. Doing a home check in March I believe for an interested applicant - not sure it's a match yet, but we will see.

Will try to make up for lost time with pics! I need to get the brushes on her. blush

Cute little stance...

Just some head shots...

Awwww...soft...

Assertive...

The ice queen...

Mi-la and my shadow...

(obvious photoshop!)

Got the toy again!

So fast she's a blur!

Enjoying the warmth today...

Everything's going to be okay...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/19/11 02:05 AM

I like my girls on the wackadoo side. grin Great pics! wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Lexi
I like my girls on the wackadoo side. grin Great pics! wub

Definitely!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 08:42 PM

Look at her smile in the first picture! I am so glad she is smiling. And playing with toys! But kitties aren't toys, not even a diva's, Mila!

Great pics, thank you for posting. I just love her expression. Yes, everything's gonna be alright...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 08:58 PM

She's looking great~!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 09:36 PM

Wow - this is awesome news! Mila looks great!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 09:53 PM

OH Mila you re looking GRAND.

Jean Thanks for the update.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 02/20/11 11:19 PM

Mila's looking beautiful and yeah, I'd definitely say it's going to be alright for her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 03/28/11 11:44 PM

Thanks all! Mila continues to bounce and dance around like a pup. She and Bella will be nine next month so they will probably celebrate their birthdays together. smile The home check we did wasn't a match - gone too long (10 or more hours 5 days a week with no one able to let her out midday) which was too bad - the applicant and I have emailed since and we both thought beyond that there might not have been a connection there - great applicant - we get to meet some really wonderful people.

Mila has had other inquiries though, and I am pleased that a senior has this much interest. It helps that she is so social, good with dogs, cats, and hilarious. She's big personality wise. She stayed with Darcy's pack while my mom was having her heart taken care of and did really well with all - people and dogs.

She's not messing around!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS!

Look at dem teef!

Comin' to get ya!

Mario, Mario, wherefore art thou, Mario?

Ummm...I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this...

That's okay, I'm patient!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 03/29/11 01:19 AM

rofl love the Romeo and Juliet pic!!

Glad to see an update - looks like she is doing great. Kinda neat about the birthdays wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 03/29/11 08:23 AM

What a feisty girl wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 03/29/11 11:57 AM

She looks great! Sparkly beautiful lady!
Posted by: Momma

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 04/01/11 10:36 PM

what great pics, what a WONDERFUL thing u've done Jean smile she looks like a totally different girl!
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 04/01/11 10:42 PM

she looks good!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 04/01/11 11:32 PM

Great update and super new pictures. Thanks! thanks

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 04/02/11 10:40 PM

What a stately lady! Hope another adopter comes through for her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/14/11 10:27 AM

Mila continues to do well. We are getting ready to go to Theravet for her leg brace fitting. I got that WDJ in March with the braces they thought were good. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_3/features/Orthopedic-Devices-For-Dogs_20211-1.html I'm going to bring that with me.

No new interest of late. I will have to update her write up - I included that she has eye and leg issues and no one has written since! Meanwhile I've taken her with me to all sorts of things and she is exemplary in her behavior. Flyball - wonderful. Food distribution - wonderful and really got a lot of attention from people who were so happy to see a German Shepherd. Today she is going to another thing with me and I am hoping that she charms there too (KW). She's also gotten to stay at Darcy's with their pack and does so well there. She's a character and I am glad to have another couple set of eyes affirming that she is pretty willful! rofl Which is great because she was just tired when she came here.

She's quite svelte and has so much energy now. It is hard to believe she's 9. She and Bella are about the same now - when she got here, she was so much older.

I tried to get her to pose with tulips, but she's not used to working with props like the other dogs!

Whaddya want from me!

They loved the long spring grass in the grazing area. eyeroll

She doesn't so much want to play with toys - they seem to make her nervous like they need to be hidden...you can almost hear the cartoon plinka plinka piano noise as she tip toes off...

Where can I put this thing!

It's heavy...

No one will find it...I covered it with dirt.

Just some picture pictures. smile

Thanks for looking!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/14/11 10:26 PM

Oh, hi there Mila! Aren't you looking good?!

I hope this next vet visit is a good one. Which of the braces are thinking of getting for her?

You know, I look at Mila and realize she is just two years older than Skye's 7 1/2. I was telling a friend earlier today that I see signs of aging in Skye's face already. She is getting the brow wrinkles and her face is changing. It doesn't help that her muzzle began to whiten at only 3 years old. It makes me sad to realize she is no longer a young dog.

But - she is happy and healthy and sweeter every day.

I hope by following the adventures of Mila, Shermie, Nannie Millie and other past and present seniors on this site I will have a good back ground on how to help her navigate growing older.

Hugs to you, Mila. hugging wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/14/11 10:34 PM

She is such a beautiful girl and I am so glad that I have gotten the chance to meet her! Couldn't agree with Jean more, she has an awesome temperment! smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/15/11 10:32 PM

She's just wonderful, and so expressive!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 08:13 PM

GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

frown

Mila is HW positive.

It could be worse, and when the vet (wellness check) came in with the bloodwork sheet I got really nervous - but poor Mila. They did the test twice and both came up positive for adult worms.

Mila was outside last year from probably May to November, not on HW prevention.

Tested negative in December. frown Positive today.

Gathering our thoughts and thinking things through on details - Darcy had me get the Doxy today so she's starting on that tonight, probiotics start tmw. I need to look at the MDR1 stuff again, and review stuff I had read during Luka's HW tx and the new stuff Darcy sent today. I am much more worried about her because of her age and her activity level. Luka was so calm, Mila is not!

We'll still go to Theravet this week - the braces are to help keep her wrists straight and from breaking down further. I am definitely going to see if we could get the less expensive ones, because of this new issue.

Thank you Bonnie, Ashley and Lisa.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 08:53 PM

Oh, Mila. This is so unfair. HW+ Grrrr.

But Jean will take very good are of you, I know.

Jean - hugging

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 09:10 PM

Awww...that is so unfair! Poor Mila frown

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 10:06 PM

I'm so sorry Jean!!

BUT!!!!!!

No symptoms...caught early....you guys will be just fine...I know it...I feel it!

Cheyenne says...hey girlfriend...you can do it...we're tough!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 11:51 PM

man i am gettin' old too jean, i came here to read about what i thought was a "new" foster you had, and now realize WHO mila is. duh. forgive me for forgetting, my life has not been my own as of late. dogs are good tho, knock on wood.

as always, mila and all your pictures are totally beautiful! take care, good thoughts are with you!
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/27/11 11:51 PM

The slow kill method is supposed to be easier on them. Maybe talk to your vet about that rather than the HD route.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/28/11 12:47 PM

Mila continues to do well. ....
She's quite svelte and has so much energy now. It is hard to believe she's 9.

So even to your exacting standards you've built her up. If she would ever have a chance to take treatment it's now..in your hands with your supervision.

She'll do it for you and for her newly found pride.

take care,
MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/28/11 06:01 PM

Jean I wish when I get old I could come and live with you for great care. Mila, will be able to handle treatment because of the great care you have given her, she looks years younger than she did when she first came by you.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/28/11 06:36 PM

Aaargh, I'm so sorry!

So glad that you've got her in such good shape. Hate to say, but with your experience in treating HW+, I'm sure she will bebfine, if ya'll don"t go a bit stir crazy first.

No fair frown

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/28/11 06:39 PM

(Hate to say about the experience, not that she will be fine crazy !)

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 05/28/11 08:39 PM

Wow, sorry to hear this about Mila, but if anyone can get her through this, it's you Jean.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 06/27/11 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone - I stayed in denial all month and liked that, but realize that she does need to have her treatment. I have been trying to work on her being crated and quiet. The quiet part is not easy because she is bossy and likes to tell me and the other dogs what to do. We may try a little Xanax with her because the Rescue Remedy and Benadryl (enough that I would be totaled for the day!) did not work. I am going to try to get one this week to try it out and hope to start her tx next week.

She had her x-ray and that looks good. She is probably stage 1 so that's awesome. She's such a good friend kind of dog. Like that's what motivates her - being someone's best friend.

http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/
I am going to blog her treatment. I have 2 objectives, described in the blog. In with blogs about Mila I'll put info in on prevention, costs, etc. Links and things. I know the font is a little different, but I was looking for something more fun. I hope people won't get turned off by it. Feel free to share it with people. We are hoping to get some followers. smile

I am going to blog about Mila's treatment on a week delay to be safe. KW. I will try to update here though.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 06/27/11 09:27 PM

I like the font. Shared it on Facebook. What a great idea!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 06/30/11 11:36 PM

Thanks Leah!

We are trying xanax now. It is making her slightly goofy relaxed, but still bossy. And it's the bossy that's making me nervous because she's trying to get things done from in her crate. Like getting everyone fed, and pottied - she literally has taken this on as her job. I have to say she is one of the most loveable but frustrating because I am not problem solving correctly (so yes, she is smarter than me) fosters in a long time! I just LOVE her and normally it wouldn't matter, but with the treatment we want her stoned. Hmmm?

I am going to try her in a bedroom too. We shall see!

Kinda cool - there is someone from the Bark following the blog. smile (and a sweet little senior lady GSD too I see - who we are a HUGE fan of!)

I think I'm gonna wanna see this show! http://www.thebark.com/content/%E2%80%9Cwilfred%E2%80%9D%E2%80%94if-dogs-could-talk

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/01/11 08:40 PM

Jean, did you watch Wilfred? I've only watched one episode so far. It's cute, but not as funny as I was expecting.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/04/11 05:00 PM

I watched it! It was...a little creepy. I was expecting funnier. I liked the darkness of it, but it was definitely different! Then I watched Louis CK's show and I was like should I have cried at two comedies tonight?

We just had our FIFTH dog diagnosed with heartworm today. frown He tested negative when he came up from the south, but they were lurking, just like with Mila. He has Mega-e - GSDTrain knows him well.

Let me know if you have any feedback for the blog - trying to keep it simple but still inform people.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/15/11 12:57 AM

Still worried about starting treatment on Mila given her barking/activity outbursts. We have tried xanax and she still can breakthrough that with the barking. I have moved her out of a common area and into a bedroom and into an airline type crate. That has helped a bit but I feel SO bad for her - she loves to be right in the middle of things. She is kind of controlling and uses her voice and jumps around. Very scary picturing those heartworms dying off and causing a clot with that kind of activity.

Now looking at combining Tramadol and Trazodone. If anyone knows anything about this let me know, please! I would like to start her...soon! Anything I use needs to be shown safe for heartworm treatment.

I also contacted a communicator - I will try whatever. She's so darned sweet and I don't want anything to happen to her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/15/11 12:51 PM

Jean,

I just read your blog about Mila and her heartworm treatment. I have to find a way to incorporate your expression SmartDog into my conversation; it explains a lot I love about some GSD and reasons to prefer living things to plastic handheld devices.

It goes without saying that I can't make any suggestions about better management of your Golden Girl. You certainly have all my best wishes that she can settle enough to get through her treatment.

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/16/11 01:14 PM

I found this:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=730268

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/19/11 12:43 AM

Thank you for reading Mary Jane! Yes, I can tell what time it is by what she is telling me to do. smile Even for the other dogs. She's very tuned in - like you said - what we love about the GSD.

Joanne - thank you - Serotonin Syndrome! My aunt had that! Nina was on the same meds (HA!) and did not have a problem. I am going to call the vet about it. I started her on the tramadol anyway, and that seems to help her relax a bit.

And blush I contacted a pet communicator. smile

I am hoping that helps.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/19/11 04:58 AM

And blush I contacted a pet communicator. smile

I am hoping that helps.

Jean, would this be the same pet communicator that we talked about before?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/19/11 08:30 PM

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/tramadol-with-trazodone-2228-0-2221-0.html

Just for my own benefit as I know that you and BDBH have mucho experience with HW treatment: Why is she not a candidate for the slow treatment protocol? Thanks!

wub that dog.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/20/11 11:29 PM

Thanks for that! I will print it and talk to the vet - I talked to the pharmacist - she said we are at low doses for both. I am thinking Mila is responding well to the tramadol in general anyway - so happy with that. We were going to do the injection tomorrow, but too hot, so postponed.

Joanne - I think so - in NH?

BDBH does not do the slow kill unless medically indicated due to the amount of time it takes to do that and the damage that can occur while waiting for all the worms to die off. The rescue has done it with a couple of dogs - one took 2 years, the other 1.5 years I believe (I could have this info wrong and will check it). If she were a quiet dog I wouldn't even have a thought about it, but she is so full of it! I wub her too. She is such a strong girl and so very sweet. And earnest. Yeah, we have had 6 HW+ dogs this spring/summer. Nuts.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 08:01 PM

So I asked about the serotonin syndrome and everyone said doses are low and it's rare in dogs. Then I'm thinking how do we know dogs aren't hallucinating! If she does, I hope she enjoys it. wink

She had her first injection today. She's home and oh my gosh, Mila, settle down. Have you heard of the new tongue in cheek children's book, "Go the F to Sleep"? I am seriously understanding the authors now instead of being the horrified old counselor lady...pleeeeease Mila, be quiet. We shall see - I did "sedate" her, she is not very Ramones-like! Let's hope this is all just a sign of how good she feels.

She came bouncing out, all happy, snippy snapping at me, doing her circles, I was horrified. In the car she was dancing. And I'm praying, Mila, please just hold still. I just love her - she honestly reminds me a teeny bit of Kramer with her willfulness and energy.

Here she is waiting to go in - she gained some needed weight and is at 55# now.

Good thoughts for her quiet, easy recovery gratefully accepted. thanks

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 08:26 PM

A thousand thoughts for her quiet, easy recovery today and some more tomorrow. Maybe King Kramer can spiritually whisper the virtues of dignified rest.

Mary Jane

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 08:37 PM

Be Good Mila!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 08:49 PM

Massage? Acupressure? Relax Mila!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 08:58 PM

Then...when she's quiet...I get nervous.
lurking

Thanks for the good thoughts - big believer in that. The one vet today said when she gets her needles to start practicing acupuncture, she'd work on Mila. VERY excited for that. There's no chance she'd hit the wrong "chi button" right? paranoid

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 09:14 PM

Oh gosh Jean - you're going to have your hands full with this girl. How's she doing now? Any calmer? Hoping you can keep her subdued through this. I read the blog too - very informative!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 10:14 PM

Sending good thoughts for Mila during her treatment.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 10:36 PM

Mila's cheering section party heartily sends well-wishes for her good treatment! bloomrose

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 10:55 PM

Jean just dropping in quickly to add my cheers and calming vibes for Mila.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/25/11 11:53 PM

Wishing you and Ms. Mila much calmness and fortitude.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/26/11 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Mila's cheering section party heartily sends well-wishes for her good treatment! bloomrose

Yeah, what Patti said laugh

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/26/11 04:53 AM

Adding my calm quiet thoughts to Mila smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 07/26/11 11:06 AM

Maybe Mila thinks you need a bit of "revving up" Jean - it's not as if you've got anything else going on! poke Best wishes for Mila and the rest of the Packistanis.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/03/11 01:18 PM

Thank you for the good wishes and thoughts - would not mind more quieting, calming ones. crazy She was sort of quiet for about 3 days then...she felt like normal I guess and has been letting it rip (eta-bossy barking) whenever I do not do her bidding. Who could have thought you could herd from a crate, in a bedroom with the AC and music on...but she does. So glad she's feeling well, but really need her to be quiet.

help

She's being great about leash potties. Drinking tons. Eating like a pig - I am trying to supplementally sedate her with food! I should toss her a loaf of bread! Love her so much for her spirit though.

The one day when I was putting her in her bed (sort of like putting a horse into the starting gate) she turned around and pushed me out of the way, ran down the hall, gave Mariele a kiss, and then was laughing at me when I caught her. I almost pottied myself.

http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/ on Friday I am going to post the pictures of her getting her injection that the vet office took for me.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/03/11 01:20 PM

This dog cracks me up. She is such a pistol. wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/03/11 01:22 PM

I will bring her to you so you can laugh more. wink

I think she was able to run the show for over 8 years of her life and is really not so sure that a. I am competent (and she may have a point) and b. even if so, why should she listen to me!

ETA: And I love that.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/03/11 02:54 PM

Mila is a riot! I needed a good laugh today.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/06/11 10:18 AM

Mila is on a bit more meds after running in place in her crate yesterday. hammer

I got a beautiful inquiry for her today - looking for a calm, gentle-mannered dog who loves to ride. hammer How about an energetic, rowdy senior-ish who loves to ride but who you do not love to ride with? (she and Bella have the same deal of kind of wanting to run out in front of the car is the only way I can describe it)

I fell asleep last night and did not update her blog! hammer

But am doing it right now. http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/ I had never seen a dog get the injections so was really curious about it. I am pretty sure I do not ever want to be there for the actual shots!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/06/11 10:32 AM

Mila sounds like Cleo in a dog suit! spitcoffee

The other night Cleo climbed out of her supposedly secure containment system (in the yard) no less than 4 times. One of those times I had to go ACROSS THE STREET to get her back. That involved crawling around in the neighbor's bushes at 11pm and trying to reason with her. Finally she went back across the street and into the backyard on her own. She did not want to suffer the indignity of being picked up in public. That was the third escape attempt. The forth involved her climbing out and then waiting for me to let her back in. Apparently that one was just to show me that my new attempt to secure the yard wasn't good enough. eyeroll

So Cleo totally understands where Mila is coming from.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/06/11 10:41 AM

Jean and Ruth, you both make my day with your descriptions of the "the day in the life of (fill in name here) stories.

Even in the face of illness and/or pain they can still make us laugh, cry or throw up our hands in despair over their shenanigans.

I love the read these and hope to read many more.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/06/11 11:36 AM

rofl Who do we think we are?!?!? Jeez, some nerve, I tell ya.

Bonnie - glad to be of service. laugh Hoping Mila does quiet down. Not this morning though - she's bossing me again so I need to consult her to see what needs to be done.

I added this to the blog - comments welcome - it can be edited. Like I couldn't figure out if I should use a close up of the shot, or a full body shot. All her injection pics are up now too.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/08/11 03:53 PM

Two week mark - knocking wood. This morning she was bouncing and I had to tell her to slow it down. eyeroll But she did, so that was good. She needs a brushing so badly. After she's completely done and rested a little (??) I think she is going to get a good grooming.

She's also being a good potty girl on the leash - it took a couple of days to fully coordinate that. Only 6 more weeks of leash potties. penguin_spin Well, I'll probably add a week to be sure. smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/08/11 06:40 PM

Grimm sends Mila calming vibes. (HAH! As if! But, he means well... wink ) Here's hoping that the next several weeks coast by, and that Mila really settles into her no-fuss rutine with greater ease. Sending you and Mila good thoughts today!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/08/11 07:24 PM

When I had crate rest for my leg Sarah said I should be l-a-n-g-s-a-m. That's German. Trouble was, I didn't even know what the English word for it, s-l-o-w, meant!
Get well, Mila. May I call you Grannie Mila?
Chippy

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/08/11 11:51 PM

Kudos to Jean and Mila, so glad that things are going well!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 09:38 AM

The diversity of dog personalities and the ability of Jean to cope continue to amaze me.

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 09:04 PM

Hmmmm...perhaps Grimmi could send something else? wink grin Thanks though - I am hoping we move along as well.

Dear Chippy,
You may call me Auntie - I am pretty sure I am not old enough to be a grandmother. Of course we know my spinster sister Bella never had puppies, so it would be nice to be SOMEONE's Aunt. And you are one of the cutest things I have ever seen in all my days.
Love -
Auntie Mila

Knock wood!

rofl My doggie group home. I really loved my first job - intensive treatment unit with 8 adjudicated male adolescents. It was like being in charge of a pack. I like my current pack much better. laugh

So today there was relief from the heat and the humidity and it felt so good to all of us - my own dogs were able to play.

With the HW tx they need to be kept cool so they don't get all pant-y and blood rush-y with the embolism risk, but today, we were able to go out under a tree and just sit. Mila enjoyed it so much. Tomorrow is also supposed to be nice - I told her we won't be able to do this every day but when we can, we will.

Forgot the silly pic!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 09:10 PM

Mila is beautiful Jean. She makes me smile.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 09:14 PM

I am SO glad she does. She is like a one dog cheerleader squad. I posted a second picture while you were posting.

Also - today Bruno was out - she just loves him, and does the exact same "slut dance" in front of him that Bella does.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 09:44 PM

I've really been enjoying her blog!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/10/11 11:45 PM

Thanks Leah! It was slow because I started too soon - so I had to do a lot of filler! It was because I was so afraid to start the tx with her level of energy and activity.

But there is so much information and I keep finding so much stuff. I found scary things again tonight. I figure if one person reads it and can get someone to test their dog and start the meds, it's worth it.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/11/11 07:02 AM

Also - today Bruno was out - she just loves him, and does the exact same "slut dance" in front of him that Bella does.

rofl

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/11/11 10:08 AM

Very excited to announce!

http://thebark.com/content/big-dog-big-heartworm

Mila's a star!

ETA - They are also going to put it on their Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BarkMagazine

Joanne - It's so funny to see that both girls have the same dance. And Bruno stands there - he just wants to spend time with his cats.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/11/11 03:54 PM

That's great Jean! I passed the blog along to someone that has a HW+ rescue that just came in. Great blog, but now you gotta keep it current!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/11/11 10:14 PM

happyboogie Jean and Mila are famous!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/11/11 11:25 PM

Making me a little nervous! A lot - because I say some weird stuff in the blog, to keep myself amused, and realized now that there are actually going to be more than us reading it! rofl

Thank you for passing it along Lisa. I hope it helps. What I noticed is that vets and websites start talking about the L3, the microfillaria, adultcide, etc, and it helps to have an idea of what they mean! Plus I want to people see that honkin' big needle going in her back.

It was weird - when she got diagnosed, I got ticked off that she was going to have to deal with this when she was just starting to enjoy herself, was going to get her braces, etc. I started googling for blogs on HW and didn't see many, but they had a one page post on the Bark blog on one that was complicated. frown Luckily the dog was okay. So I just emailed them, like oh, sure, they'll get right back to a crazy dog lady. But they did. I was shocked. Then they were interested...even more shocking. They have been really nice/helpful. They even put the link to BDBH in which was awesome. I am so appreciative.

I put a funny caption (I think) under Mila's picture on my thank you post. It just seemed to fit her.

We had a nice day again - cool - so I brushed her and she was so happy to sit in the shade and was even quiet for it. She's a best friend kind of dog.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/12/11 07:37 AM

So I just emailed them, like oh, sure, they'll get right back to a crazy dog lady.

Only our vets see us as crazy dog ladies. To the rest of the doggy world, I think we're normal. Besides, better to be a crazy dog lady than a crazy cat lady.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/12/11 07:09 PM

Dear Auntie Mila,

Thank you for letting me call you Auntie. And for calling me cute. I am sorry you got stung in your back so bad. That must hurt some fierce. And the crate rest. Hang in there, and I hope you feel better very soon!

I am sorry you didn't get the HW pills your previous human hunted for you. My monthly HW pill is so yummie I wish I could get it every day! Not one of these icky pills hidden in cheese and the icky flavor hits ya as you swallow. Nope, really tasty!

Love from
Chippy

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/12/11 09:12 PM

Immiticide unavailability (weird way to put it): http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/08/urgent-post-immiticide-unavailability.html Thanks Lisa and Mary Ann!

This is true, Joanne, but I think the crazy cat ladies have a quieter existence!

Dear Chippy-
Do you have room in your cabana for your dear Auntie? I think I would like that, but it needs to have A/C for now.

I have been getting all my pills in cream cheese and I love that. We are trying to contact Kraft to see if they would like to be the official sponsor of my HW tx. But I agree, the monthly pills are much better. She will not give me a spoon full of sugar either. It is supposed to help the medicine go down.

XOXO
Mila

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/13/11 12:59 AM

Wow - what a great response from the magazine! Your blog explained HW to me better than anything I've seen before. You talk in terms that I can understand instead of all the big words (that I don't understand) in most of the material I've read. Hope you get a really positive response from Kraft!

She sounds like such a terrific dog... wub

PS - off topic - where are pictures of my favorite boy?? It's been too long!! nono

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/16/11 12:06 PM

Thank you Kris. That's what I was hoping for - because it is SO complicated the way it's described in a lot of really informative places - but you have to have a notepad out to decipher! I am learning a lot by reading all this stuff. And realizing there is tons more to learn.

Like the thing about inactivity in ANY dog that is heartworm positive. http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/08/well-what-can-i-do-nothing.html That if a dog is HW+ and is waiting for treatment that they need to be on restrictions because they will get sicker faster if they are not. So if a dog has 50 worms and is restricted, and if another dog has 14 worms but is not, the dog with less worms will go into the congestive heart failure type stuff sooner.

I didn't contact Kraft - they wanted all your address and phone info on their web form and I hate that. frown

Oh, poor Pupadupolis - there is one picture with him and Quincey in that thread, but you are right, I need more. He is such a sweet boy.

And Mila! She is cracking me up - I am realizing that she almost has me trained. She is getting 4 meals a day, and of course her cream cheese and pills. And treats. She started out a bit underweight so we will see what she ways when she goes in for her 2 injections (next week? gah).

I made some mistakes with her in the beginning when she was all sad and depressed, thinking she was this poor old lady who would be as easy as Bella...whoopsie. rofl Now with the HW tx she's had that opportunity to really take over because what am I going to do? Oh well! I am doing some bits of NILIF After it's over we'll start working on ore stuff. And it's not like she's a bad dog, just bossy. And the eye doctor said that she looked calmer and happier with me in charge of her, instead of her caretaking, but Mila was only letting us think I was in charge!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/20/11 09:31 AM

'When you can't help' – that's how it started. Now your blog helps saving lives even beyond Mila the Great! Terrific work, Jean.

There is an article in today's NYT on the economics of and policy solutions to the recent shortages in vital drugs, incl. cancer drugs for human patients. For some reason I cannot paste the url in here. Let's contact the nascent biotech non-profit mentioned in this article and suggest they include Immiticide to their list.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/30/11 11:55 PM

Awww, thanks Sarah. I hope it does help. I really appreciate that.

I saw an article like that, and it added immiticide. I will try to find it.

I called the vet office - Mila has vomited 2-3x tonight - including just water in the last one. All food, nothing else. Her attitude is good, wagging and she's also complaining which makes me nuts because it's dog who cries wolf stuff - is she complaining like normal or is her whining because she isn't feeling good...anyway, won't take food, peeing, no diarrhea...I am going to bring her in tomorrow for a blood panel because she is so lively and alert it doesn't seem emergency-ish to anyone.

But I wanted to run this past people to see if this theory could be right?
Normally our routine is she gets up, drinks a boat load of water and does potties, eats a small meal w/some water with her meds. Then she has breakfast 2 which is bigger, with water, joint pill. Afternoon potties, small meal, pills, potties, supper, supps, potties, pill. She drinks quite a bit of water throughout.

Because I left today, I didn't let her have her giant bowl of water in the am, and gave her very little with her food. Then my mom fed her/the gang, but couldn't take her out so Mila went without her usual water and potties for about 8-9 hours. Then when I took her out she drank a TON of water. She may have peed her bed or it was water in her vomit - her blankets were wet - she's in an airline crate.

My theory is that by not getting her usuals, the meds, the no water, all acted in her belly and made her sick, and that it's not from her injections so much. But we'll do the blood panel regardless tomorrow asap. Her meds are tramadol and trazadone. Thoughts? Who wants to stay up and play blackjack or something? wink

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:02 AM

Huh...I don't know about that theory. thinking But drinking a ton of water can make you vomit.

Are you talking about her heartworm meds making her sick or the other two meds?

How is her digestive system normally?

And, of course, I'll be up until 3am (working and doing animal care) as usual...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:07 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that normally when she takes her pills there is liquid sloshing around in her belly that helps to prevent some nausea from the trazadone and tramadol. I am hoping it's those 2 meds making her sick, and not the immiticide.

She normally is pretty steady GI wise. Her poops are nice, uniform, same time, same place. smile She hasn't vomited in a while. She also got herself worked up a bit because I was gone and our routine wasn't the usual. I need to find her an agoraphobic. Or a nun. Or someone just flat out dull like me!

Good - 3 am - ugh. I will keep checking on her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:08 AM

When Max has stomach upset, he drinks a lot of water, somehow like he thinks it will make him feel better. So, maybe the lack of water, maybe there is something to that.

But some dogs on kibble, will drink a ton of water (thinking Max here when he was on kibble).

Will be keeping good thoughts for Mila, let us know as soon as you know anything.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:26 AM

I will - we will go in tomorrow for bloodwork.

I was going to board her at the vet today but didn't want to take her because she gets SO amped up in the car on the way there (happy excited but the emboli [is that the right word?] don't know that right? sick worryworry). She's Catch 22-ing me!

Yes - the kibble - definitely want more water, and I think she was also drinking more once I got home because it was like eeeeek, I am so dry now. And I know if I overdrink, I will vomit. Water! Overdrink water!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:30 AM

Does the immiticide (sp?) make her extra thirsty? Or is is she a nervous drinker?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:37 AM

I think it's the Immiticide. She's always been a good drinker - I had her urine tested at one point because I was afraid she was diabetic! And she also does a weird thing - she does little pees all over, not marking, just pee. Walk, pee. Walk. It's cute, so ladylike.

Her bloodwork from June was magnifico! (KW) Hoping for the same tomorrow and just me screwing her up. She is big into the routine. She's the SmartDog. The 4 meals, the potty time, this is going to be tough to break out of after the tx is good and over.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:45 AM

Slippery elm? Nux vomica? Both good for settling the stomach! smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:48 AM

And she also does a weird thing - she does little pees all over, not marking, just pee. Walk, pee. Walk. It's cute, so ladylike.

Indy did that too wub

Quote:
.... She's the SmartDog. The 4 meals, the potty time, this is going to be tough to break out of after the tx is good and over.

rofl Yes, we have to be held accountable for our actions and what we have created rofl

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 09:11 AM

So I kept bothering Mila last night until I passed out and each time she was sleeping. This am, bark alarm clock, and no vomit in her bed. She wanted water but I didn't let her have any per the vet instructions. frown She also did not want a bite of ginger snap that I offered her, which concerns me, because she's a foodie.

She did have a very nice BM and did urinate as usual this am.

I have created a monster.

Appt @ 9:40.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 10:08 AM

I have created a monster.

I really had to laugh.

crossedfingers for Mila's exam.

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 10:13 AM

crossedfingers that this is just from a change in routine. May Miss Bossy Pants be feeling better soon!
Posted by: Furonthefloor

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 10:26 AM

Aww geez I love the Mila Monster! Hope you get good news at the appt.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:24 PM

Thanks all. Very much!

Mila Monster! Perfect! I wish I could take a video of her on the scale at the vet. I don't know what happened in her past or if this is a new thing, but she spins and dances and air snaps at me. So, perfect behavior for a dog on activity restriction. Ay yi yi.

Kind of a better safe than sorry visit I am hoping. Blood work straight down the middle. No temp. Obviously, even though she's not feeling well, still has some energy.

She got half a bag of sub q fluids and a shot of Cerenia. She probably would have gotten more if she had held still. Instead fluids were spraying...I think if I had not been in the room she would have been much better.

On bland, starting later this afternoon, and restricted water too. KW this will all work. smile Thanks again!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 12:54 PM

I hope she gets to feeling better very soon!!

And I want to say again how very much I have enjoyed reading her blog. I have learned a TON about heartworm and it is an excellent reference source. I plan on letting my vet know about it the next time we go in for routine maintenance, and tell her what a great way it is to teach her patients' families about heartworm prevention and treatment.

And I have always enjoyed your writing style. smile

Sending healing vibes to Miss Mila Monster!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 08/31/11 08:08 PM

How is Mila this evening? crossedfingers

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/01/11 12:00 AM

Wow thank you Leah! That was the second thing you said that made my day! smile

I tried to take pics of the Mila Monster ( rofl ) getting fluids today for the blog, but apparently that was not allowed by her. What I love about Mila is that she is so bossy, but when I take her places she is SO sweet to people. I like aloof dogs, but have to say she's a treat. And she is a total Gladys Kravitz.

I want a supply of Cerenia! KW she seems well. Ate 2 bland meals. Had a bedtime treat and her cream cheese pills. Drank less than she wanted. Attitude is good. She wags her tail while I get her pill ready - it is adorable.

Thanks for checking on her.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/01/11 01:31 AM

Jean, Cerenia is great stuff my second Siamese use to get this quite often. It really worked to settle his tummy.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/01/11 04:54 AM

Hoping this was just a weird thing and Mila is back to her normal by now.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/01/11 07:03 PM

So glad that the bloodwork is good....hope that the new regimen gets her back on track!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/02/11 09:23 PM

So today again, Miss Mila was not being monstrous - kind of slow, not really drinking with enthusiasm, which yesterday I figured was from eating real food and not kibble, and then she refused breakfast. Chicken soup!

So back to the vet - no temp, we did not do the blood work again, even though it was scary good (her vet said maybe TOO good paranoid2 ), heart rate good, not dehydrated, gums good, just off. He thinks, I agree, the worms dying off are making her a bit sick. frown

He said pred, I think thinking I might protest, but after Kramer's stint with it, and seeing Quincey, when it's indicated, it works great. And they do use it in HW tx when the dog is not feeling well.

At home I gave her the pred in canned dog food, which apparently she likes better than home cooking. So that's easier! She didn't eat a lot, but she ate. And drank a bit. Then Bruno snuck out and wub was in the air. On her part anyway. So I saw how perked up she was and decided to go with it, and let her visit with him a bit, and took him outside with her for her potties. Her standing there, him trotting around, but it was still a treat for her.

Offered a meal with her chicken mixed in with canned and she picked the chicken out, ate around that and left some canned that was too contaminated. For supper she ate all her canned - it was not a lot (I have no idea how much canned to feed when that's all you feed help is it like on the bag - not as much as they tell you?) but I am glad she finished it, with some water in it.

I need to keep giving her some level of tram/traz so as not to stop it cold, so I am doing a big reduction of those.

He said it would take a day or so to see the pred kick in and to call tomorrow with an update.

So I complain for months about trying to keep her quiet and when she is, I freak out! wink

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/02/11 09:48 PM

Come on, your Mila Monster (really great phrase) changed her behavior and you don't like it. Now you entertain all the reasons for the change.

I can't add anything about whether it's a cause for concern or not.

I can just say that anybody would be lucky to have someone care so much.

all of you, get some rest,
MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/02/11 10:29 PM

So, Mila's got scrumptuous homecooked cuisine, and a date with an intense, dark, short-but-handsome, formally-attired, good-looking MC? wub Did he bring her vaseroses? Paws are crossed here that Mila is just responding a bit to the worms dying off, and that she'll be back to her snazzy self very soon. crossedfingers

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/02/11 10:56 PM

I know Mary Jane! She's probably thinking this lady is off her rocker!

I do love her - she has something - well, they all do don't they? This is why I can't step foot in a shelter.

rofl Yep, the date is set, they've both been told in a few weeks they will have a chaperoned (the girls at the vet office said that) date. I am thinking after she goes to the groomer so she will be all purtied up.

He didn't bring her flowers but he did try to eat some of her canned food? Is that romantic? He's no Tramp, nudging the meatball at her, that's for sure; that meatball would be history if Bruno was near it.

She almost peed in the house on the way out the door, so the pred is kicking in. She had her second pill of it, and ate some treats so that's good. Had a poop so that's also good.

Thanks guys so much. This tx is really dragging isn't it!?!?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/02/11 11:02 PM

Oh Mila! I cried when your update tonight Jean. Guess I'm kinda emotional! Pred can be a good thing. I think it's hilarious that she prefers the canned food to the home cooked, and eating around the contaminated food. So funny!

Feel better Mila!

Ya know, I only look at rescue sites that don't adopt out of their area. It's safer that way!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 05:25 AM

Jean, sure am hoping that this is just a short lull. You know me, I hate that pred stuff, but it has it's place frown

What is the theory of using it during HW tx?

Any chance she's just depressed? Or the tram/traz has been messing with her?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 06:41 AM

Sending you both hugging Paws crossed that the Monster emerges quick smart.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 08:28 AM

I am seeing (hearing) signs of the monster emerging. KW! For less than 24 hours and only 2 prednisilone, she is definitely a little more herself. She ate a little breakfast of canned and dry, and took a teeny bit of trazadone and a tramadol, which probably helps her to feel better anyway. I will give her pred in a bit.

Joanne - hugging I am sorry you cried. The only problem with looking at out of the area ones, is that some rescues will make exceptions for exceptional homes!

Good question Lisa! I looked it up:
Quote:
Administration of diminishing anti-inflammatory doses of glucocorticosteroids helps control clinical signs of pulmonary thromboembolism.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/veterinary-resources/canine-guidelines.html#10

Quote:
Prednisone: Dogs are on prednisone (a steroid) to help reduce inflammation in the lungs and vessels caused by the worms before and after they die. Prednisone also helps reduce the risk of the dog having an acute pulmonary embolism (clot) that can cause sudden death.

http://maplesmallanimalclinic.com/msac_heartworm_treatment.htm

Her vet said if things the size of cells going through our veins can knock a system out of whack, imagine what something the size of a dead heartworm can do. So kind of scary what is going on in her this week. I need to tell her she doesn't need to make the blog more interesting.

Thank you for the good thoughts.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 10:17 AM

I am glad Ms. Thing is acting more herself and I hope she continues to rally.

Lisa reminded me of something though: both Chama and Argo had reactions to Tramadol. Both cases included lethargy and inappetence and Chama was nauseous. Argo literally turned into a slug. Both of them had taken it previously without problems.

So, just something to consider...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 02:02 PM

Jean, I am glad that she is feeling better. The reason for the pred makes sense, and I was thinking maybe something like that, so that anti-inflammatory doses of pred need to be used.

I know you have experience with tramadol, but I was thinking how just a single dose of 25mg affects Max, completely seems to depress his nervous system. Added to what Ruth said, I would just suspect everything at this point.

Glad she is eating!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 08:11 PM

I can't imagine what these stoic dogs of ours are going through when they get sick... It teaches us a lot I think.

More of my very best healing vibes sent Mila's way. I hope that she continues to be more of herself as time passes.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/03/11 09:51 PM

Actually she's on the tramadol/trazadone to TRY to get her to be more lethargic! smile We wanted her sedated (and cool) so she wouldn't get her respiration levels up. I won't even tell you how much of that stuff she can take and it bounces off her like a quarter on an Army bed. You all would poop She is a cyborg. And we tried Rescue Remedy, Xanax...nothing. Cyborg. I have limited her dosing though the past few days without throwing her system into total shock.

There are worms and parts of worms dying off and really messing with her right now. I think shots 2 and 3 got some things going. frown They go through veins that aren't meant to have things that size in them. Theoretically she's has no damage to her organs and was asymptomatic, was rested as soon as I found out she was + so should have a light load. But I guess any adult worms are a danger.

This is definitely making me nervous again. They say that it is inevitable during any heartworm treatment to have some little emboli, you just need to stay away from the biggies. Which we hope the pred and keeping her quiet (and that is what her t/t is for) will do. KW

Today she is eating-drinking-peeing (hello pred!). Is once again "banned" from seeing Dr. Bruno because she gets too excited - she wanted to chase him this afternoon. So that's much better in the lethargy dept. Yikes. Her hind legs are looking more solid again under her so happy about that. I got her some more canned for a bit to mix w/kibble in case her belly is upset.

And mini Meaty Bones - she loves those every time she goes back in her crate. smile She's a junk food kind of gal and I am indulging her a bit. I am betting back when she was 85# (she's 58# now) she and her mom had some pizza parties.

I am keeping everyone as quiet as possible to help her relax. I saw a toad floating in their outside water bowl today that reminded me of William Holden in Sunset Blvd and lo and behold that's on tonight so we are watching and I am trying to decide if Ava or Mila would make a better Norma Desmond. I'm going with Mila on this one.

Thank you so much for thinking of Mila and putting your thinking caps (and caring caps?) on for her. It is appreciated greatly. Sorry for the babble. I'm on my phone and know this is my only post of the night so I'm makin it a whopper!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/04/11 08:51 PM

Your concern is so very understandable. It must be hard to watch her go through this, and imagining the scary processes going on inside her.

Chippy sends good wishes to Auntie Mila, too. Don't tell her that, please, but she sounds just as bossy as Auntie Matsi!

We so hope with you that she will come out alright. And find her forever home soon. Love that gal!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/04/11 10:33 PM

Thinking of you and Ms. Mila tonight....such a difficult balance.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 12:19 AM

Jean, Mila's legs being more solid under her is a big plus. The mini MeatyBone junkfood fest enthusiasm is another positive. Mila will endure through this reaction to the treatment. We will get through this. hugging

Grimm wanted to send Mila get-well vibes, so he's being allowed to do that-- no Grimmi-crazyness allowed! penguin Just healing, enduring, calm. peacesign angel bloomrose

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 01:05 PM

Quote:
I saw a toad floating in their outside water bowl today that reminded me of William Holden in Sunset Blvd and lo and behold that's on tonight so we are watching and I am trying to decide if Ava or Mila would make a better Norma Desmond.

spitcoffee

How you can come up with things like in the middle of all that is going on........well, good for you! Poor (late?) Mr Holden might not be pleased that is the image that made you think of him.

Too bad that when Mila feels good she is too energetic. Sometimes you can't win for losing. But I am still glad some of the meds are helping. And I don't know why they don't call it peezone instead of prednisone.

Hope you all enjoy the movie.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 08:59 PM

He is late. He died after falling in his apartment and bleeding to death. frown He was an alcoholic I guess. I wiki'd him while I was watching the movie because I was trying to figure out why I kept thinking of lions. He was a conservationist too. And...a toad floaty... wink

So yesterday as the day went, she started cycling down again. And this morning didn't want food again. Luckily even though they were closed, a receptionist and Mila's vet were in today so after taking her temp (normal) we decided not to start tapering the peezone (good word for it!) and added amoxicillan that I had here for Bella.

So I don't know what's going on, if it's the worms sloshing and clumping or what, or if the antibiotics are helping some kind of something, but as the day went by, she started cycling up, eating and drinking again, and is more herself. I gave her parts of her T/T combo mid-day and I think that helped too. Mila is an addict!

Thank you for checking on her! Thank you for your kind thoughts. Monday and Tuesday of this week will be the two week mark of her shots and I am hoping she gets better every day.

Chippy, that is our little secret. laugh

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 09:18 PM

I hope the amoxi does the trick. So worried... hugging

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 09:30 PM

I hope she is better tomorrow. I am sending healing thoughts her way...and calming thoughts too.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/05/11 09:40 PM

Paws are crossed that Mila's cyycling on the upswing and that tomorrow brings an improvement in her outlook. I'm pleased her temp was normal. I'm glad that you got her seen, too. Here's hoping that she eases right through this minor setback into smoother sailing through her treatment. Sending positive vibes to Mila!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/06/11 11:06 AM

THANK YOU - it's helping. Mila is a member of the clean plate club again. Two meals gobbled up so far today already. KW!

Got all her pills in too - she's getting bigger and bigger canned food meatballs! The T/T combo seems to boost her - I had tapered way off on that - am now back to regular schedule, half of normal dose.

And she scored 8 of 10 on the Dr. Bruno hubba hubba scale. That's really high - a ten is the dance and I think she would have, had I not kept her leash so tight.
gsdbeggin wub gsdbeggin wub gsdbeggin wub gsdbeggin wub

He has really been helpful in determining her lethargy/energy. smile

I posted the pics of her second/third heartworm treatment on her blog too: http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/09/again.html

Thanks again, let's keep this upswing going!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/06/11 11:53 AM

Jean,

Your blog about Mila needs to be published in the veterinary literature, seriously. It contains so much medicine along with your concern and humor.

So more good wishes to your older patient and her many local admirers.

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/06/11 10:17 PM

Mary Jane - as always, you are *too* kind. Thank you.

KW Mila ate 4 meals today, some of her Meaty Bones, got all her meds and looks better. She was wagging and doing some barking (not great but good she wants to).

I got her free (love free) abx and some canned food - something called Grandma's casserole and...some kind of something Fields Farm? Anyway good for making pill meatballs and wow did she love the casserole one. Good to see that!

Thanks again!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/07/11 08:01 AM

Good to read some movement in the right direction, healthwise if not the barking. thumbup

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/09/11 04:11 PM

How is Mila?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/09/11 04:52 PM

Another happy post please Jean!!! gsdbeggin

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/09/11 06:10 PM

Yes, another happy post. smile The Mila monster is slowly emerging...I think this 2nd tx threw her for a loop. But she is a tough girl and super sweet - I love her as a "patient" because she tries to cooperate, takes her pills if she can, and likes to be babied a bit.

I forget how hard this is on them even when they can sail through, they still are getting the poop knocked out of them. I posted about the caval syndrome last night on the blog and was like ooooooh....I needed a reminder!

She's gotten a taste for canned food and now tries to steal the cat's food on her way by so that's good?

We are now tapering off the pred a little. I think it helped A LOT or seemed to. So is the amoxi it seems!

She appreciates the good thoughts! Thanks!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/09/11 06:23 PM

These are all the positive thoughts we're firin' in Mila's general direction! fetch angel bloomrose butterfly cheers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers goodluck groovy hugging penguin peacesign vaseroses sunburn thumbup wub grouphug USABalloons fireworks

... and Grimm is beaming silly thoughts her way. (Leave it to him...) silly

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/09/11 06:49 PM

This is super duper news!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/10/11 09:46 AM

Yeah, Mila! So glad to hear you are getting spunky. What a great girl to take your meds for Mom.

Skye says you are so smart to try for a bite of cat food. She thinks it takes great, too.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/10/11 04:02 PM

It all sounds good Jean, so happy to hear the improvement. I missed the amoxicillin part, or can't remember, or I'm just getting old maybe? I haven't read the last blog installment, a bit behind!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/10/11 06:50 PM

Jean,

I just watched the video on Mila's blog showing DAvey's heartworm surgery.

I can't figure out to post a comment there, but I wanted to say that everyone who thinks monthly heartworm meds are too expensive or that "my dog won't get heart worms" should be required to watch the video.

What a great blog you have. It may save a dog's life some day just by prompting it's owner to treat it.

Thank you!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/10/11 10:23 PM

Way to go, Auntie Mila! I'll square off and bark at them heart worms for you!

Chipster

PS About eatin': When I wasn't at first, I got Sarah to hand feed me warm green tripe with noodles. Really yummie! Have you tried?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/21/11 09:24 AM

Yikes, 10 days without an update! How is Mila?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/21/11 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: LJsMom
Yikes, 10 days without an update! How is Mila?

I checked out the latest on Mila's blog! Glad she's better. Love, love, love Dr. Bruno!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 09/30/11 05:48 PM

smile Mila loves Dr. Bruno. Thank you for checking on her!

She's allowed to see him again and she's happy. He...well...he hasn't corrected her yet, but I know if she pushes it, he will so I try to help her understand how you treat the good doctor.

She is doing really well. I extended her crate and leash stuff because she had so much trouble there for a week. The four week mark is not a magic time and I remember a dog that came from Arkansas named Emme, years ago, who through WHAT?!?! I need a vacation! THREW a giant clot on the last day of her crate rest and almost did not make it.

Mila will be going to the groomers on the 14th allowing her time to build up a little before all that rigamarole. The groomer is great with older dogs or dogs with ortho issues. Or dogs like mine. laugh Mila is actually looking and smelling better already - something comes out through the skin with that treatment that is weird smelling.

So next week we'll start working into being more active, slowly and carefully, observing how she does.

There is no chance tripe would be found here Chipster! I gag giving them sardines...it's just not...I can't.

Thanks on the blog - I do hope it helps someone/some dog. I started a big link list too on it of all the places I've gotten info from for it. That video...I can't watch videos that well on my computer and that one makes me kind of glad I can't.

Mila had someone interested in her, but I think they are going to adopt a shelter dog, which is great for the shelter dog, but very disappointing for Miss Mila. I am sure her person is out there, sense of humor required or they will miss out on so much of her wonderfulosity.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/01/11 10:35 AM

I've had dogs my entire life, never had a dog with heartworms, but when you see this process spelled out...well it makes it so clear just how important the preventative is. It really is something to read & see. Your sense of humor sprinkled in with all that info is perfect.
I'm sorry you have to go through all this Miss Mila Monster. hugging I'm thrilled to see you continue to live up to your name! Someday soon your person will find you & appreciate your unique personality. crossedfingers

p.s. I love love Dr Bruno too!!! wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/01/11 02:54 PM

I am glad to hear that she is doing well, sorry to hear that she hasn't found her forever home yet though. Good things take time?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/01/11 11:24 PM

http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/10/this-just-in-immiticide-sort-of.html

So there is some Immiticide coming in from Europe to be triaged to the neediest dogs.

Thank you FOTF! I had no idea either until I fostered a dog - and even then didn't understand. Actually, reading this stuff for the blog is helping me to understand now some of the stuff I had read before and didn't get at all.

Mila Monster and Bruno got to hang out a bit again today. She's all flirty and he tolerates it, she goes out to potty and he hides under a chair. She comes in like where is Dr. Bruno??? It's sweet - he is trying - he just doesn't like her to get so up in his business. She's so adorable.

Yep, you're right, good things take time. Luka, Dylan both took quite a long time and she's older so has that "against" her. Even Rosa, for a baby puppy took a while due to her illness. Mila's just waiting for that person who needs her like their people did.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/19/11 09:43 AM

I see from the blog that Mila's heartworm treatment is finished. How is she doing now?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/19/11 02:48 PM

Mila Monster and Bruno got to hang out a bit again today. She's all flirty and he tolerates it, she goes out to potty and he hides under a chair.

I can picture Bruno hiding under the chair. Cracks me up!

she's older so has that "against" her.

How old is Miss Mila Monster?

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 10:38 AM

http://thebark.com/content/big-dog-no-heartworm Mila is back in the Bark!

Thank you very much for checking on Mila! I have been busy trying to keep up with work and trying to not get distracted on forums. Yeeks.

Mila is going to head out to Meet/Greet in a bit as we work on getting her back into the swing of things. She is definitely getting back to her pushy/happy self, which is great to see, although slightly exhausting wink as I try to keep up with her!

Miss Mila Monster (I love that name) is 9.5 yo. She and Bella have April birthdays.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 10:55 AM

From Lisa Wogan in The Bark:

"I’m awestruck by all that Jean has done to create a second chapter for Mila"

Wow-someone may have recognized that Mila is their new dog.

If it is the right match-someone will be happy with their handful!

MJ

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 11:11 AM

happyboogie Another 2 minutes of fame! I hope the potential adopter works out.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 11:38 AM

Hope the adopter works out for Mila. crossedfingers

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
Hope the adopter works out for Mila. crossedfingers

Me too!

Mila has quite the cheering section!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 12:27 PM

I love The Bark magazine and loved the comments by Lisa in the article!

I hope this chance for a forever home works for Mila out.

And Dr Bruno - great mention of you as well!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 12:57 PM

I knew there was a reason why I liked this magazine so much. What wonderful exposure for the blog!!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 10/29/11 01:28 PM

What a nice article smile

That would be sooo great if the adoption worked out!!

crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/06/11 08:48 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! My SmartDog (iDog? iFoster? iMila?) is highly disturbed about the daylight savings time and she is not afraid to let us all know that she is! I took her outside a lot today to try to tire her, but it is almost an hour past our bedtime potty! And supper was late! She is NOT amused.

I did not have her last year at this time, so good to know. And the spring one wasn't traumatic like this.

I took some pictures of her today - I will post them another time when I remember to get the card out of the camera.

That was a really nice article in the Bark blog. I was so happy that they did so much to promote heartworm stuff. Hopefully it will be something people can find and use for prevention, education, etc. ETA- I love that she referenced Dr. Bruno. wub He has literally saved at least 2 fosters that I can think of by relentlessly barking at them to indicate to me that they were sick or by pulling his ears back and refusing to look at them/go near them. One who was an overnight (HA!) on a transport with pneumonia that was hospitalized for a week and Kyah.

Yes, all fingers are crossed here through the lengthy process! Thank you to the friends of Mila Monster for your concern for her throughout!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/06/11 09:00 PM

.....Yes, all fingers are crossed here through the lengthy process! Thank you to the friends of Mila Monster for your concern for her throughout!

Respect the process, even if it is lengthy!!

LOL, so funny about Mila and the time change....she does not like getting her dinner late!! Have you been too punctual in your feeding Jean? When I first got Indy, one thing I read is that if you feed each day at the same time, they will get in that habit and definitely expect it. LOL, around here, they never know what time they will get fed, my schedule is so goofy - maybe a good thing!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/06/11 09:26 PM

Yes, I love the process. It makes it easier on everyone, even though it is initially more difficult.

I am the worst. I act like we are a true group home. She gets breakfast, lunch and dinner (hey, down from two breakfasts!) and they are at pretty specific times. Potties are typically at the same times too. If I'm not home for these things, no big deal (well except meals and I make a big effort to not mess with their meal times too much) but if I am home, I had better move it, toot sweet! impatient So Mila nags me for her food times, and everyone's potty times. Also - this is the worst - if she hears Rocco being restless in his crate at night, she will bark - like hey! That one needs to go out! mouthsealed

I will write this all up in her adoption packet of course, so that it is all very clear and then let the adopter do as they please - keep a schedule or no.

I was thinking about how much she reminded me of a nurse. nono A lot of my family are nurses and I have worked with a lot of nurses too and they are sticklers. grin Then I realized that in her previous home, she may very well have been the nurse. teary Who knows what did and didn't happen without her being there to nudge. Plus she's a good herding girl who LOVES to have a job.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/06/11 09:51 PM

I was thinking about how much she reminded me of a nurse. nono A lot of my family are nurses and I have worked with a lot of nurses too and they are sticklers. grin Then I realized that in her previous home, she may very well have been the nurse. teary Who knows what did and didn't happen without her being there to nudge. Plus she's a good herding girl who LOVES to have a job.

wub

Indy was kinda like that here...these dogs are too smart for their own good!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/06/11 11:06 PM

laugh Aodhán was like that for dinner time, not so much breakfast. But a 6:00 at night she went and sat in the kitchen in her spot and wouldn't leave until she got fed. It was a standing joke that you could set a watch by her when it came to the evening meal.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/07/11 04:54 AM

Lady Jane was punctual about her meals too. Her original mom was a teacher so she was used to getting up very early (like 4:30 early). She kept to her schedule and I adjusted mine.

Jean, if you could teach Mila how to use a phone or to text, she could have her own business. Dinner reminders, potty calls....

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/07/11 06:10 AM

I think Mila and Don might be related. The time changes greatly upset him too! Looking forward to her pictures!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/07/11 10:46 AM

I learned an old trick from my FIL. When he was milking cows and time changes were coming two weeks before he would start adjusting the schedule so there was no big problems. I don't always feed at the same time here, some times I do some times at night I am working on something and feeding time could be an hour late or potty time an hour or more later. Poor Mila wouldn't be happy here.

My first GSD was my clock watcher, hey it is time to go feed the horse, hey it is time to go out and get the mail, hey it is time to go feed the horses.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 08:14 PM

Val, I am going to do that next year. I've never had a problem before, but just in case. I feel like I am in a house full of Al Pacinos in Dog Day Afternoon, yelling ATTICA! ATTICA! every meal time since Sunday. rofl They will call Don and let him know he is not alone!

I love all these stories of the "watch dogs" that people have had. Val - was yours a female too, I am noticing a trend...

I love the idea of making this into a real job for Mila. Mila-grams...imagine it as your wake up call!

So here are some Mila pics.

One soon after she started going outside off leash and realized she could actually walk more than 18 feet:

Then the other day.

EEEEE! I'm moving!

I was focusing on Mario so of course she gave a great head tilt when I made a noise. Her hearing is amazing.

Awww, shucks, thanks, it's just that my eyes kind of stink...

Proud to say after almost a year here we have accomplished a good 4 seconds or so in a sit stay. laugh Puppies don't leave here unless they are trained...older dogs may not know anything beyond sit.

Why would I need to know how to do anything but be cute?

Thanks for looking.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 08:43 PM

She's so CUTE! Thanks for posting the pictures. Everyone needs a Mila fix!

The only command Steel knows is "leave it". A good thing for a husky to know!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 08:52 PM

wub Miss Mila.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 09:25 PM

I guess wonderfulness is a two-way street.

Amazing Miss Mila!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 09:54 PM

thanks

I forgot this one.

"And then I want you to clean out the gutters, it's fall and the leaves aren't just going to disappear on their own you know, but first, when you go out, be sure to pick up a loaf of bread and get gas in the car...."

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 10:00 PM

That last picture you posted above is just gorgeous. She's quite the character, isn't she?? Jean, I swear you speak dog - I could have never thought of her having that conversation with my favorite boy Mario, but that's exactly what that picture portrays. Just look at his face - like he's getting nagged a LOT! Very funny!! rofl

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/08/11 10:10 PM

laugh Kris it's because, I swear, that's how they look - he loves to go out with her because he's being my super special helper boy (his eyes get big and he wags his tail so happy) but then you see him remembering, oh yeah, she's going to pester me.

He's her main buddy because she's a lot for some of the littler ones who get nervous with her getting up in their business (and they get can unpleasant when they are nervous - or if they are not nervous they still have some good sized body bubbles) and Mario just rolls with it. He is so tolerant. He also gets nervous but he checks out and keeps on going.

They both get treats at the end of their play sessions. A lot of the time they just wander the yard together, but when I saw that I had to get a shot of it, because it was just so her and so him.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/09/11 04:27 AM

wub The last photo and caption is classic!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/09/11 05:36 AM

I love that last photo. Nag, nag, nag.... Mario is such a good boy.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/09/11 07:01 AM

Wow, it's been almost a year already??? Kind of makes me wonder about people who complain about having fosters for just a couple mon- Um, never mind. smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/09/11 10:07 AM

Mario's eyes look like he wants to scream "You're not the boss of me!!!"

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/09/11 11:12 AM

Mario is just the best... wub He even looks like he's tip-toeing in the picture!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/11/11 08:25 PM

Miss Mila - wub

You are one beautiful dame.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/11/11 10:47 PM

Heehehehee, you're not the boss of me. Yes! He would never say it but in his head he's trying to get the guts to let it out. Then, sigh, never mind. smile

Yep, almost a year. And she's not a fit with most of the group (she's a happy girl in a Girl, Interrupted household) so it's not as easy as a pup but she is so worth it. I hear what you are saying though! laugh I guess I like fostering for BDBH (and Dylan's rescue too) because they understand and let fosters know they may have a dog a lot longer than you might think, and that's okay. Remember, I was going to take a break, so she's not taking another dog's place. rofl Some break! smile

She is a bouncy beautiful and big hearted girl. Things are moving forward (slow but moving) in the adoption realm, which is fine with all involved - all expected, timeline wise, and gives me time to take care of her carpal splints!

Thanks everyone!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/11/11 10:55 PM

Jean, tell me more about the splints? Max is having problems on that one wrist - not sure if it's bothering him, but it looks like it should be.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/12/11 08:53 AM

When she went to Thera-Vet they recommended them due to the extreme breakdown of her wrists - her ligaments are stretched and there is no way to tighten a ligament (there is one surgical procedure I guess that my one vet talked about just to dismiss it - not an option). So the idea is to prevent them from getting any looser, just when she's playing or walking, not all the time - when there's some impact. We were going back there to get her measured and she was dx with HW disease so that was that! I decided just to do this at my vet office because it's a shorter ride and probably cheaper all around.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_3/features/Orthopedic-Devices-For-Dogs_20211-1.html
"Dr. McCauley likes the Carpal Wraps because they do not stop the dog from using the wrist (immobilization makes the joint weaker) but work by preventing the wrist from hyper-extending (which is what causes pain). She recommends dogs wear them on walks or when playing or running around. Suggested retail price: $21 (each)."
I think these are it: http://www.canineicer.com/order/product/index.htm (scroll down past the icers)

I think that part is the key - that if you do it wrong, you can make the leg worse. And I think that depends on the why of the weakness. Like I ruptured my ACL way back and I asked the PT if it would help to wrap the knee for stability and he said not for what my problem was - I would be making it worse in the long run. But you see other injuries, they wrap. I like that Thera-vet is a PT vet.

So I am going to be taking/sending/faxing all of this over to my vet office before we do the measuring.

Oh, I think these are the ones that Thera-vet uses: http://www.therapaw.com/ They look to be closer to $50 per. I figure my vets can take a look and see which will work better for her, or just go with this one if they can.

ETA - glad you asked so that I had to get this all written out and find those links!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/12/11 04:36 PM

I want max to keep using it, but we've done a lot of walking this term and it hasn't really improved much. It does get worse with fatigue, and if he tries to trot, he often stumbles on it.

Do keep us posted on it - I might try something like this for Max. Maybe this is why his shoulder keeps hurting him too. Can't wait to get at my 'puter and take a good look at those links. Thanks a super bunch!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/12/11 07:56 PM

Jean, in case it's helpful, here's Natalie's/Sasha's thread:
http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbt...a_nee#Post29204

I think Max would need that firmer support one, he's just going to get worse. I emailed them a question about sizing. Let me know what's going on with Mila!

The $30 shipping fee made me shocked until I saw the drop down menu had better options smile

I think this is the rigid splint that natalie used, different type of thing than we are looking at:
http://www.orthovet.com/storefront.html?...13&vmcchk=1
Wow, some of these get really fancy, the rigid ones:
http://www.animalorthocare.com/carpalbrace/

We no longer have a PT person around here, so this is something I will try on my own.

While I'm looking, found these:
http://www.dogleggs.com/carpal/

Here are some nice pics of the lighter one at therapaw:
http://www.jorvet.com/pdf/Literature/carpo_fles_dorsi_flex_wraps.pdf
Cheapest price here it seems: http://scoutshouse.com/store/index.php?cPath=74&main_page=product_info&products_id=252

Larger images for the therapaw ones:
http://scoutshouse.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=304
http://scoutshouse.com/store/images/CarpoFlex-033243.jpg
http://scoutshouse.com/store/images/CarpoFlexX-033247%20(Medium).jpg
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/14/11 11:45 AM

I've used an OrthoVet Carpal Splint

http://www.orthovet.com/storefront.html?...13&vmcchk=1

then transitioned to a thera-paw Carpo-Flex X

http://www.therapaw.com/carpo-flex-x-2.aspx

Both of the braces worked very well for what we needed. My vet measured Sasha and sent off for a custom fit one, but neither was that expensive.

What I liked about the carpo-flex x brace is that it comes with 3 sturdier velco support 'patches'. You can cross them, remove them or just use 1 or 2- makes the brace customizable for the dog and situation.

Sasha still wears this brace when we hike in the woods as she will always have the bone chip that can cause her discomfort after long periods of being active- so I use the brace to minimize the moving of the chip.

I give both of them a big thumbs up! thumbup

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/15/11 12:27 PM

I was wondering how the carpo flex could have a range of a support, that is great to know.

I guess the carpo was custom made too?
I was looking at the carpo pre-made sizes. Max's leg circ is 5" and they said that the 5.75" should work, unless the leg tends to swell. The other is much larger, and I'm not sure that it would fit well.

Max is always at the "edge" of sizes, no fair!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/16/11 11:43 PM

I sent the two websites I have to the vet and am taking Mila over tomorrow for her fitting. Since Thera-vet recommended the Therapaw one I am guessing that will be the one we pick, but I do like that WDJ liked the other.

I have to ask - her pasterns have already dropped - so I want to make sure we don't do anything that will make things worse. I guess immobilizing them would do that! I think I have pics of her front legs in the beginning of the thread. They got worse with the crate rest but are improving.

I'll try to take some phone pics if I can. I hope she is a good girl so that I can!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 06:43 AM

I'm thinking that the WDJ one isn't going to provide enough support. I ordered one of those to try, since he can use it on his stronger wrist if he needs it. I suspect that the bad wrist needs the therapaw one since his pastern is down too....just worried about sizing. I think his squirrel stalking has helped strengthen it, but it's not going to get better either frown

Here's Mila wrist picture post:
http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/110447/Re_When_you_can_t_help#Post110447

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 10:37 AM

Announcement time! In the very near future, Miss Mila Monster will be bossing around my Steely-man! Notice the hearts in his pupils and front paws!

Steel passed inspection by Matsi earlier this week. She gave him a little snarl, but Steel was a gentlemen and did not reciprocate.

[/url]

Many thanks to the home visit team (Sarah, Chip, Donna, Matsi, and Duke)! A big thank you to Donna for the beautiful pictures!

We are extremely excited!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 11:12 AM

Wait-does this mean a new courtship?

Could any female in her later years want more than to spend them with that blue-eyed, distinguished gentleman?

Great job, Joanne.

Mary Jane

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 11:30 AM

Ahhhhh---can you hear me screaming with happiness! party And wtg Jean for not even spilling the beans. I am impressed! poke

I am so happy for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 11:44 AM

Wow-what a great announcement!
Mario says: Steel get ready for nag, nag, naggin!
So happy for Miss Mila Monster party
Sweatheart Steel's got hearts in his eyes, so maybe he's ready to let that naggin' go in one ear & out the other! Steel repeat after me "Yes, Dear...Yes, Dear...Yes, Dear..." laugh

Can't wait to see updates.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 11:53 AM

party party
I am so happy for everyone. That darn Jean is getting really good at keeping things under wraps.

We will still have Mila as part of our home.

Steel is just penguin_spinpenguin_spinpenguin_spin penguinpenguinpenguin 3penguins

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 12:20 PM

Really?????? This is about the best news possible! Congrats to all!!!! party

Joanne - you really need to post pics of Steel more often - he is a HUNK!!! wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 12:22 PM

Hooray for Mila Monstah and Steel! party party party Having met Steel, he is a true sweetheart and gentleman. May we all enjoy many pics of Mila and Steel enjoying their time together soon! vaseroses

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 12:35 PM

Thanks guys! Steel also says thank you for the compliments. He really needs a bossy broad in his life.

Yes this was the best kept secret! I told my best friend and that was it. Contrary to what some might say, women can keep a secret!

I'm still nervous - we have not done a meet and greet yet.

I am so grateful for Jean. If she hadn't opened her heart last year at this time, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 12:37 PM

Joanne,

That's great news, both for Mila and for you! party

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 01:46 PM

I am so happy that Mila is going to her forever home...can't be soon enough! That process just takes forever!

Joanne, I am confident that LJ approves too - she doesn't have to worry about Steel now, though I know she will always worry about you wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 01:56 PM

I'm still nervous - we have not done a meet and greet yet.

I was thinking about this - I am sure that you all will meet with her approval!

Quote:
I am so grateful for Jean. If she hadn't opened her heart last year at this time, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

3 cheers Jean, may she take a well-deserved break now! Definitely need to take time to recharge and hopefully just hang with the pack for awhile.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 02:12 PM

happyboogie Beans were held tightly with fear that I would jinx it! I am still tossing salt over my shoulder (yep, just carrying a shaker of salt and causing high BP for anyone who walks behind me) in hopes that Mila and Steel will hit it off.

I cannot believe this has happened. I told the people at the dog food store that I conjured (they were like, uh, you mean manifested, right?) families for Rosa, Luka, Dylan and now Mila. That it was like everything that I could think of for them...was what they got. And even some things I didn't know they would need (eg, Rosa - a new hip) happened for these lovely little souls.

I appreciate that Joanne and her family, even after the loss of wub Lady Jane, wanted to invite a senior into their home. I know that is not an easy decision to make. I am hopeful that they all give each other many years of laughs and love.

So thankful for this board - talk about making something great happen! wow And then Sarah, Donna, Matsi, Chipster and Duke for doing the home check. How lucky are we to have such great collaboration?

And what a great rescue to foster for - taking in a senior dog with obvious...um, differences in her structure, not blinking an eye with the HW treatment, a year in foster, etc. I let them know I'd be taking a break but there are foster mentors needed right now, and I asked if there was a new foster who could handle a Martha Stewart type mentor...a hand slapping, lip pursing, leash grabbing control freak. SOMEONE's going to be the lucky one! rofl

So we are all very excited and keeping in touch about everything - I am working on Mila's packet - so neat to have everyone be a part of this! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! happyboogie

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Furonthefloor
Wow-what a great announcement!
Mario says: Steel get ready for nag, nag, naggin!
So happy for Miss Mila Monster party
Sweatheart Steel's got hearts in his eyes, so maybe he's ready to let that naggin' go in one ear & out the other! Steel repeat after me "Yes, Dear...Yes, Dear...Yes, Dear..." laugh

Can't wait to see updates.

spitcoffee

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 02:18 PM

Where is the meet and greet happening? I want to crash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After Steel and Mila have met, of course. wub

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 02:22 PM

Not exactly sure where - looking for somewhere quiet without a lot going on for a nice little walk. Mila has met a lot of dogs in the past year and I think has been appropriate with them...so hoping, gah, I am going to have to fake it til I make it on this one, making sure she doesn't know I am nervous about her reactions!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 04:11 PM

I am so, sooooo happy to learn that the dignified and elegant Ms Mila has found a home with such a handsome fellow!! And a forum member, no less!! BONUS, we'll get updates! laugh

Congratulations Johanna and Jean!!! groovy

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 04:39 PM

party This is just the best news to wake up to!!!!

So many congrats Johanna, Steel, Ms Mila and Jean! This is fantastic smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 05:40 PM

Guys - just to clarify - Joanne (Lady Jane & Steel's Mom) is taking Mila, not me.

Just want to be sure people don't get confused. grin

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 05:49 PM

Joanne, Johanna....they all have J's and O's and a's and n's wink

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 06:28 PM

Steel is a "yes dear" kind of dog.

Lisa, I hope you are right about LJ. She was so faithful.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/17/11 11:10 PM

Max is soooo not like Steel rofl

I am sure that I am right Joanne. She knows how much it meant for her to be able to come live with you. I know that she would want other seniors (and a GSD yet!) to have that same opportunity hugging

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/18/11 09:00 AM

I agree. The IMOM ladies always say that the bridge pet sends the dog to you that you are supposed to have when you are ready/need them.

Well, Johanna, if you don't want to feel left out we do have another senior girl who needs a GSD savvy home... wink

I keep telling Mila about Steel.

We are going to go with the thera-paw splints. Her wrist is 5 inches so a medium. She weighed 58# last night. I think she was 85# a year and a half ago before her first mom got sick. SO much has changed for her. And she has NOOOOOOOOO idea how great things are going to be for her soon. I told the vet staff and Joanne will need to check under the van for some of the receptionists who decided they would like to be adopted too.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/18/11 10:21 AM

I agree. The IMOM ladies always say that the bridge pet sends the dog to you that you are supposed to have when you are ready/need them.

REALLY??? Well, if Murphy thinks that sending Annabel to me is funny, she has a warped sense of humor! And Max sent Sammy to me?? So NOT funny either! Just kidding... laugh I think it's the young dogs thing. The elders are so much more settled and easier going. I do believe they come into our lives for a reason and are chosen for us. And no doubt in my mind that LJ had something to do with this, Joanne...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/18/11 10:56 AM

Well, Johanna, if you don't want to feel left out we do have another senior girl who needs a GSD savvy home... wink

Eek - don't tempt me. DH and I have been talking about applying to be fosters for GSRNE.

Caleb needs someone to help keep him in line. rofl

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/19/11 07:39 PM

Ready to go!

I've been talking to her about next week all the time.

Yep, Kris, they laugh at the vet office about Rocco being who Kramer and Nina sent me! laugh I think Nina just went along with Kramer.

Johanna - that would be wonderful. They seem like a great organization - Sarah and Donna are active and helped Mila too. I am sure Caleb would like the company (maybe!). Take your time of course - it's addictive once you start.

Mila went to Meet/Greet today for a bit. Then had to sit in the car while I took some pictures at Dylan's rescue. You can see she's still on the clock even while waiting.

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/19/11 11:12 PM

Jean, Mila looks so READY! wub Such a gorgeous girl. Grimm and I are so very happy for her! vaseroses No doubt that gracious Lady Jane helped set this in the works. gsdhalo

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/20/11 01:09 AM

I love how animated she looks smile

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/20/11 08:25 AM

She's so beautiful! We are talking to Steel about Mila too. We're practicing "yes, dear, whatever you say dear"...

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/20/11 01:15 PM

Must be nice to have a dog that will practice that!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/20/11 03:02 PM

I would like to say that Mila looks so sweet but I actually thinks she looks like she is thinking "I am special and I can get by with what ever I want. Besides, Rocco has my back now and soon Steele will."

What a wonderful, heartwarming outcome for Mila.

Fasten your seat belts, folks, this girl is going for a ride!

Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame - 11/21/11 01:48 AM

very, very cool news!!!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 01:41 PM

crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 06:35 PM

If you can believe it, Joanne and her family are as nice in person as she/they are online! And that's after a bajillion hour ride starting out at obscene o'clock in the morning.

I cannot say enough how much I like them, and like them for Mila. Steel is a beautiful dog and so good with everything/everyone. And soft. wub He got to meet Kyah and Muffy, a little dog that is with Darcy's pack, so that Darcy could bring a microchip (whoops!) to us for Mila. Darcy was quite taken with Steel!

He and Mila are just kind of neutral with each other, which is great. They liked walking together, and gave each other some sniffs. In the hotel, after they got done looking at themselves in the mirror (ADORABLE), they hung out at opposite ends of the room.

Both dogs were pooped! We met at a park, then went to the vet for the microchip, and then to the hotel, so a long day for Mila and an INCREDIBLY long day for Steel! He was trying to keep his eyes open, Mila didn't even try, she just went flat out.

The family is just so great. Mila is SO blessed. She is going to get so much love and attention. We finally had to leave them so they could eat and sleep!

I'm going over tomorrow morning to do the adoption and then she will be on her way home. She's given me a lot and I am going to miss her, but know that this is the whole idea of it, and that this is EXACTLY what I was hoping for her in a home. And like with Rosa, having her mom on the forum is so nice!

I'll post some pics in a bit!

Oh - they gave me a wonderful treat for myself and home made treats for my dogs - we have all enjoyed the treats!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 06:41 PM

Yay, so glad that the dogs did well together....as Joanne says, Steel needs a pushy broad in his life, so this will be good! very happy!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 06:42 PM

and special hugs to you Jean..... don't know how you do it, but so glad that you do... do something special for yourself hugging

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 06:50 PM

Thank you for the kind words Jean! We had a great day! Mila is beautiful, inside and out. She's very sweet and silly. She made us laugh. Jean has such a big heart and Darcy and Kyah were wonderful too. Steel has a special fondness of small dogs and really liked Muffy.

Poor Steel is so exhausted. He ate his dinner and is sound asleep. He didn't even want to go out to potty. The poor guy won't sleep in the car.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 07:06 PM

Joanne! You're still awake!

So of course I was all excited and screwed up my settings - but I think I got one good shot of everyone - no bowheads!

Thanks, Lisa - I appreciate that. I won't lie, it's hard! But I love to see the pictures I get from adopters, and know that the dogs are so much a part of their lives. I couldn't do it if I couldn't find adopters like this, truly.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 07:21 PM

I see wub a beautiful wub loving family! wub Happy Mila. thumbup I have no doubt that Lady Jane is so happy and proud right now. gsdhalo

Thank you Jean and Joanne for sharing this heartwarming miracle with us! bloomrose

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 07:23 PM

That's a great pic - the dogs color coordinate, don't they smile

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 07:27 PM

Jean you are so good at getting dogs ready for their new adventure. I know it is hard for you to send them on their way.

I am glad Mila's family is part of our family already.

I can't wait to see more pictures of Steel and Mila as they get to know each other better.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/25/11 08:59 PM

Joanne,

I'm so happy for you, your family and Mila.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
That's a great pic - the dogs color coordinate, don't they smile

They do! They even have matching Thundershirts.

The shirt helped with the ride. Steel fussed a bit, had difficulty getting comfortable and wouldn't sleep, but did NOT poop in the car! My DH doesn't find pooping in the car as hilarious as my DD and I do.

Mila really seems to like my DH. He had known Lady Jane since she was a pup and was heartbroken when she died.

We are all very excited, except for the bajillion hour drive home!

Mila is very attached to Jean. It's going to be very hard to leave.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 12:25 PM

So Mila will be a Daddy's Girl.

...don't even want to think about how difficult leaving is..on both sides. The nice thing, is that it's for a very happy, ever after, reason!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 12:49 PM

She was happy to see everyone this morning! Steel was a little miffed that we were back. He may not want to pick up an I wub NY shirt! They put her new tag and flasher on, and she got lots of attention from everyone. It's funny to see her with her new dad - I don't think she's ever lived with a man, and apparently she is going to make up for lost time. laugh I think she is going to love the people to dog ratio. I know she is going to be ecstatic when she figures out Joanne is her forever mom and that she will be home with her all the time. She already likes having a human sister. They truly are a kind and loving family for her.

So they are on their way home. It is a great reason to miss a dog.

And I say this in a good way (as Leah can attest) there is that good compulsiveness that I love - Mila has a binder already.

All of this because one of our volunteers sent that Santa picture to Darcy, who saw Bella all over it.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 03:22 PM

AWWWWW..what a beautiful ending!!! Thank you Jean...for all you have done for Mila...and Big Dogs Big Hearts as well.

Thank you Joanne for adding Mila to your beatiful family...may you all have many years of happiness and blessings together.

I need a tissue... smile

<HUGS> for everyone!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 03:40 PM

Joanne, is Jean not the most fun person in the world to talk to? One of the best things we got out of adopting Rosa was a friend like Jean.

I love this happy ending, to begin at the start of the thread and read it through, such a journey.

Mila, you are a lucky lady, and I know you are going to enjoy life to the fullest in your new home!!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 08:35 PM

This is beautiful story from beginning to new beginning... Jean, I know you must be missing Mila a lot, but I can't think of a more ideal situation for her. You got her well emotionally and physically, and now she can go on to be Miss bossy pants to Steel and have an incredible life. It's very sweet that she's so taken with your husband, Joanne... wub Can't wait for updates - so neat that we'll be able to hear about her new life right here!!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 08:59 PM

We're home! Nothing like a bajillion hour car ride with two dogs that don't like the car! He won't sit up and she won't lay down. The first 10 minutes were horrible! We took a wrong turn leaving the hotel and went in a big slow circle. Steel does not like slow. My DD drove, my DH was co-pilot, I sat with Steel in the middle seat and Mila sat in the 3rd seat. She was shaking so much I climbed over the seat to sit with her and she climbed over and sat with Steel. *sigh* She was trying to get into the front seat so I climbed back over and she sat on my lap. I figured she either wanted to sit in the front seat or she wanted to sit with my DH. We stopped and changed seats so he was in the 3rd seat with Mila. Happiness. The fussing stopped.

Steel slept like this for about 2 hours. He was so tired.

I was worried about feeding Mila kibble tonight, so she had Steel's cooked food. She burped after so I guess it was good?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 09:08 PM

Oh man, what a LONG day. That pic of poor Steel! Mila loks like she is just checking things out...hope the first night goes well. The added benefit, they should be exhausted!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 09:17 PM

SQUEEEEEEE! Pictures already! She looks so pretty. Steel! Poor guy. And he probably misses his mirror.

I rofl reading about your attempts to do every possible driving configuration! Wow, she is so lucky. I cannot get over how much she likes her new dad - I was actually worried that she wouldn't feel comfortable with him. Ha!

You know I was going to say go out and to the left when you leave, but I said no, compulsivemarthastewart, shut up, they have GPS.

BTW - my dogs are very concerned because the town crier is not here to alert me to things we need to do - Ava practically threw herself on me at 7:01 for supper. In her defense, I was a minute late.
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: When you can't help... - 11/26/11 10:43 PM

what a wonderful story.... i am glad we are going to be able to see how this one turns out!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 09:29 AM

I bet Steel does miss his mirror!

Here's Mila waiting for breakfast this morning.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 10:03 AM

I think that every time I feel a little sad, I am going to come read some of Mila's Journey and jump to the wonderful ending.

Joan, Johann and family, Rocco and all the doctors along the way. It takes a lot of people (and sometimes other dogs) work, time, dedication and trust to find a deserving dog a home and this time it happened.

Thank you to all involved with Mila. To get to continue seeing her is the icing on the cake!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 10:45 AM

Bonnie's right. It's amazing to go back to Jean's first post about Bella's long-lost sister who herself lost her person. Now we have Joanne and Steel with a nod from Lady Jane adding to their family as in serving breakfast to a beaming healthy Mila in her PJs.

Wonderful story starring some great people and dogs and contributions by BDBH.

It goes without saying that we will need frequent updates.

Mary Jane

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 10:45 AM

wub
That face. This is all too wonderful. Thank you Joanne and family.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 12:21 PM

The pictures are so cheering, so heartwarming! Thank you for sharing these! Gosh, Mila looks so happy to supervise! wub I imagine Lady Jane supervising from above the whole family right now, happy and proud and content. gsdhalo Steel sleeping in the car is so adorable! I am sure the family will be full of love now that you are all home and settling in. This is one amazing journey! bloomrose

Perhaps time to add Mila to your signature line? smile

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Perhaps time to add Mila to your signature line? smile

Good grief! How could I forget such an important step?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 07:51 PM

party YAAAYYY!! I can't help myself!! happyboogie party

Re: When you can't help... - 11/27/11 08:01 PM

Here's Mila waiting for breakfast this morning.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Re: When you can't help... - 11/28/11 12:19 AM

Just returned from Ontario and really enjoyed reading this whole story. Talk about happy endings and wonderful beginnings...I certainly couldn't think of a better forever home for Miss Mila and it sounds and looks like she fully appreciates her new family. wub

Re: When you can't help... - 11/28/11 04:01 AM

This really is a great story! I am so happy for you and your family Joanne, it looks like Miss Mila Monster will be a great supervisor wub

Bless you Jean for all you have done for this wonderful girl smile

Re: When you can't help... - 11/28/11 05:43 PM

Mila chased two squirrels today. For an older gal with wonky legs, she sure can run. She jumped up on the fence with her front legs too!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/28/11 10:34 PM

shocked Mila Monster! She always kept all four on the ground here. rofl I love it - she is having so much fun.

This is so much fun for me too - it's why you can let them go.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/29/11 05:28 AM

Mila chased two squirrels today. For an older gal with wonky legs, she sure can run. She jumped up on the fence with her front legs too!

I love that she is having some fun, and already taking charge smile

Re: When you can't help... - 11/29/11 10:49 PM

This is so great!!

Cheyenne wants to know if she remembered to take her pocketbook with her.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 07:17 AM

wub
That face. This is all too wonderful. Thank you Joanne and family.

This is fantastic. Thanks to all concerned for such a lovely outcome.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 10:41 AM

Are there more pictures yet? impatient

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 01:56 PM

Mila and my husband on the way home from NY. A bit squished.

I'm struggling to post more pictures. Seriously, I'm so unskilled at this that it takes me almost an hour to post a picture!

She's so funny and very, very chatty. Steel initiated play today, then he got spooked and ran. She chased after him. Very cute! Of course, no camera.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 02:44 PM

how are you uploading your pics?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 02:52 PM

From my computer? I really need a better photo program. Since installing Windows Live Photo Gallery I'm even more confused. I can't even locate the photos on the computer. And then when I try to upload, they are too big.

Is there a photo organizing program that's easy to use?

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 03:09 PM

yes the pictures being too big is always a pain, you have to resize them . one of my cameras takes photos in large format, i always forget and end up haveing to resize. then i decided that i would just make an album on FB and post the link. just so much easier. if you post from your card you dont have to deal with winows live (which i despise).

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 03:18 PM

I'm sure Mila and Steele think you should buy a Mac. Macs are much easier to use and their fans wouldn't have to wait as long to see them. It's really all about them anyway, right wink

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 03:25 PM

Pics from Joanne!

Ummm...can we say spoiled!!

If you use photobucket the pics automatically re-size when you upload. Just copy the IMG link and paste it here. That's the simplest way I've found to do things.

Joanne - will be glad to post your pics, so just email them to me when you have more!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 05:09 PM

Thanks Kris! I'm going to try Photobucket.

Mila as the co-pilot. She does not like riding in the back so today I gave in and I sat in the back on the way to the beach.

Steel and his mirror.

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
I'm sure Mila and Steele think you should buy a Mac. Macs are much easier to use and their fans wouldn't have to wait as long to see them. It's really all about them anyway, right wink

That's what my daughter said too! She has a Mac and everything is so easy!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 08:07 PM

See...your daughter knows! My 81yo mother just bought and iPad and she LOVES it. She thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. laugh

Maybe that's what you should ask for for your holiday gift from DH! wink

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 08:34 PM

I just love seeing the faces of Steel and Mila in the same shot. As no dog expert, I think that they are quite courteous, looking slightly to the side.

Joanne, whenever technology and the fates agree, please post.

thank you very much,
Mary Jane

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 08:52 PM

I've been using this program recommended by SD, works like a charm, it'd on my menu when I right click.

http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbt...pics#Post152525

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 08:59 PM

I love those picks, they are great. Mila, what a life you landed!

Re: When you can't help... - 11/30/11 09:11 PM

I've been using this program recommended by SD, works like a charm, it'd on my menu when I right click.

http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbt...pics#Post152525

Cool! Thanks!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 03:59 AM

Loving the photo's wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 06:42 AM

Steel and Mila on the same bed early this morning. Making progress!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 08:00 AM

Breakfast! Mila eats scary fast. This is our 4th type of "bowl". Seems to work the best.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 08:27 AM

cuvee' is the king of eating scary fast. i have to feed him like a chicken, scattering the food about....if i dont he will inhale the food and choke. when i say inhale, he doesnt even chew. crazy scary....

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 10:22 AM

Great pictures! wub

Rafi is a crazy fast eater too but he eats ground raw so I put it in a pyrex pan.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 11:46 AM

It's been a long time since I've fed kibble. Lots of gulping and choking. Very little chewing. Panic attack three times a day!

I imagine once Mila is settled in (and the bag of kibble is gone) we'll make the switch to either home cooked or premade raw.

I found out today just what Jean was talking about when she said that Mila hides her toys. Steel and Mila were playing with a Kong squeaky ball and a rubber squeaky toy. When Mila was done with the rubber toy, she trotted around the yard, went into my garden, dug a little hole and then buried it. She even used her face to cover it up.

She's so cute!

I guess we'll stick with the Kong squeaky balls.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 12:35 PM

Joanne, I love your GSD pillow!! Very cool!!

So cute how Mila hides her treasures. Dogs are amazing. smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 01:33 PM

This is one of the reasons that Rafi eats raw. Not only did he not digest the kibble well, he also often hacked pieces back up b/c he ate so fast.

If you keep telling us these stories then you know that next we'll be asking for video... poke laugh

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 02:19 PM

Oh my gosh, I love that they will be on the bed together. It took years before indy would do that with max, and even then, only briefly.

I love your bowl smile also love how, uh, unique she is!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 04:45 PM

Awwww-- the bed-sharing picture is so very precious and heartwarming! They both look content. peacesign

Re: When you can't help... - 12/01/11 06:57 PM

This is way better than I thought after only (math!) a few (no math!) days! I am enjoying this so much. Mila is a nut!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 08:33 AM

A week ago at this time were counting down the minutes until Jean and Mila arrived at the hotel.

We've a few little rough patches this week, but things are really going well.

This morning Mila was barking at a cat. She knows cats belong inside. Poor Steel had no clue what she was so upset about.

Getting a good sniff in at the beach.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 08:54 AM

Last night. She's just too cute.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 09:38 AM

Joanne,

Come-on, Mila learned how to respond to a great environment in Jeanspackistan. Now she finds herself in another dog wonderland, complete with Prince Charming, so she's just blooming.

Thank you for all the pictures,
Mary Jane

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 01:25 PM

Oh, I love that last picture!!!!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 02:06 PM

Yes, that last pic is just great! The others...so wonderful to see them together. LOL, now that you have a dog that barks, she's making up for lost time smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 06:17 PM

My DD and I went dress shopping for my son's wedding today. I left my DH in charge. Before I left, my son came by. Mila went into mini-Cujo mode and totally ignored me telling her that it was okay and to knock it off. Once she realized that she knew him, she wanted her butt rubbed. Then they curled up and watched tv together.

While I was out:

Also while I was out, she learned how to beg. *sigh*

When we got home, DD and DH took Steel and Mila for walk. They encountered a male neighbor. Mila gave him lots of kisses. Little Miss Social Butterfly!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 06:27 PM

wub great shots!

Sounds like she is learning all the necessary skills that a good dog should have rofl

Re: When you can't help... - 12/03/11 07:20 PM

One more for today.

Snoozing...

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/11 07:14 AM

I love that she sleeps with a smile wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/11 09:21 AM

She makes the cutest noises as she's falling sleep and also when she stretches out.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/04/11 09:58 AM

The peace, the warmth, the comfort and joy of Mila and Steel make their own kind of holiday song.

There's another thread about sadness or disappointment in December. I really hope anyone feeling low will look here.

thank you,
MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/11 03:11 AM

Awwww Miss Mila you do NOT look like a monster with your pink blankie wub wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/11 03:20 PM

That picture of her all close up with the look of eagles - so beautiful. And there is the picture of all of you on the mantle - neat!

With Steel - Mary Jane is right - it is really beautiful and can make you feel better just seeing it.

And with her pink blankie...so sweet. She is so content with her little baby noises.

I got to see new Rosa and Mila pics today. I can go to bed now!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/05/11 07:35 PM

I notice Miss Mila's bunz are happily toasting against the heater, in her comfy pic with ultra-handsome Steel! wink Why not hog the heat? What a life she leads! laugh

Re: When you can't help... - 12/06/11 01:38 AM

what a heartwarming ending/beginning for a very sweet girl.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/07/11 10:00 PM

This is a great place to stop if you are feeling a little down and out. Mila and Steel. The pictures are great, so many thanks for sharing.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/07/11 10:08 PM

Wonderful, heartwarming pictures... wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/07/11 10:16 PM

Wonderful, heartwarming pictures... wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 07:40 AM

Mila has certainly brightened things around here!

Yesterday, a very wet day for the beach:

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 08:59 AM

I love that close up picture! I sent it to a couple of BDBH people and they said do they have a dash cam?!?!? rofl

She seems to be getting into dressing up and I think they look so great together in their rain gear.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 09:58 AM

Awesome rain coats!!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 10:39 AM

Congrats on your new arrival Joanne!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 01:00 PM

It took me a while to remember why the theme of blue and yellow in the rain is familiar.

Morton's salt-when it rains, it pours.

This thread continues to make a lot of people happy. We started worrying about Bella's sister and with lots of good people's effort and time now we get a senior dog couple living the lives good dogs deserve.

thanks,
MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 03:24 PM

Love this! The blue and yellow, lookes geeat together smile
Posted by: Barb E

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 03:53 PM

Well holy cow, how ever did I miss this news?

Congratulations on your new addition!!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 06:16 PM

Thanks Natalie and Barb! Mila is such a joy!

Her leg braces arrived today. Putting them on reminded me of the Thundershirt and minivan. Both require an advanced degree in engineering.

Considering most of her exercise is at the beach, maybe I should get ones that are more sand friendly. I've already washed them and they are still sandy and smell like a clam flat.

Cat patrol.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/08/11 06:24 PM

I love that close up picture! I sent it to a couple of BDBH people and they said do they have a dash cam?!?!? rofl

She seems to be getting into dressing up and I think they look so great together in their rain gear.

It's funny, we were talking about how cool a dash cam would be.

She's only happy when she's upfront.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/09/11 12:53 AM

I just love the expressions on her face! She is very special smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/09/11 04:08 AM

Aww my goodness I melted over the raincoat pic's and then the festive collars wub wub I am so very happy Miss Mila found you smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/10/11 06:15 PM

wub wub wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/10/11 10:38 PM

My first thought with the close up for some reason was "Grandma, what big teeth you have." Where is little red riding hood?

I just love seeing those two dogs together. They look like they have been buds forever! wub

Beautiful!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 04:23 PM

Cozy. Steel was there first.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 05:03 PM

Looks like she's fitting right in.

Is Steel still praticing "Yes Dear, Yes Dear"?

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 05:31 PM

Yes, how is Steel adjusting? Is he doing better now that he's not an only dog? I'm trying to figure out exactly what he is thinking there!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 05:47 PM

Steel seems less afraid of Mila (he was also afraid of LJ, Morgan and Matsi). He has worked up the courage to let her know that HE goes out the door first, not her. They had some grumbling, pushing and shoving the other morning for position.

When outside, he will run around her, slowly, then when she starts after him, he picks up his speed so she can't catch him. She's smart though. She hides and ambushes him.

She likes to walk around him loudly chatting and trying to bite his neck. I often wonder what he's thinking (Helloooo? I've been neutered!).

Today I gave Mila an antler. Steel is allergic. I gave him a knuckle bone. Everyone was happy until Mila got a whiff of bone. The antler got put away as did the bone. No issues. The next time I'm out I'll get another knuckle bone.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 07:55 PM

Oh yay, it sounds like she and Steel are figuring things out, and that Steel isn't feeling too bullied wink Sounds like he is enjoying her, and finally figuring out that she's there to stay, so he better start setting some ground rules!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 08:30 PM

I love all the pictures but the last one they both look so relaxed. I am sure Mila is in heaven and it is good that Steel isn't as afraid of Mila as he was LJ. I think Mila has a bit of mischief in her that Steel will bring out to the fullest. He will like having more of an equal and less of a slave driver. I really think Mila's bark and bravo is really more for show.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 09:54 PM

Nailed it Val, I think! Kind of creepy when you and Patti do that! smile

Beautiful, beautiful!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 10:04 PM

Yikes now I am creepy - I use to be just strange.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 10:09 PM

Creepy in a good way! Like Mila is alert but not in the ugly baby kind of a alert.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/11/11 10:18 PM

rofl Yes, Val, creepy in a good way.

Ugly baby kind of a alert? I cannot tell you how much this is making me laugh right now! I am not even sure what it means, but I love it.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 06:19 AM

Ugly baby kind of a alert? I cannot tell you how much this is making me laugh right now! I am not even sure what it means, but I love it.

When you meet a baby and it's not cute, at all, and the only thing you can come up with quickly is "Oh my, he/she is so alert!". shocked

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 08:35 AM

Ah! So that's what you say in that situation! I always just said, "Wow, it's a baby!" but the alert thing is a good line.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 09:49 AM

spitcoffee Joanne

and

rofl Leah

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 03:29 PM

OMG - I've been saying the alert thing about my grand niece Tegan, but she is really cute too!!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 03:34 PM

Although she can get some hysterical expressions on her face that perhaps only family would coo over

Quote:
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Cold?
It's still pretty warm here; last week I was still wearing shorts. However, the slightest drop in temperature causes many folks here to break out their winter gear. This doubles for most babies who are bundled in layers year round. When we take Tegan out in what is an appropriate amount of clothing for her (she is often very warm) we get looks and comments from Taiwanese people telling us she is cold. Sometimes we put a blanket over her just to avoid comments. Yesterday I put on her hood to keep the neighborhood grandmas, who will undoubtedly peek into the stroller, at bay.

I think Tegan's expression is - Hey Mom, what's with the stinkin' hood?

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 03:38 PM

She really IS adorable Barb! Love the expressions!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/12/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

When you meet a baby and it's not cute, at all, and the only thing you can come up with quickly is "Oh my, he/she is so alert!".

Oh you guys are cracking me up!

Love the pics of Mila. The one of Steel & Mila on the couch wub
Steel tamed the monster!!

and I'm not a baby expert...no experience there, but the pics are pretty cute of that baby who looks kind of annoyed with her hood for sure.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/13/11 03:59 PM

*Whew* I was late coming to this thread for my daily dose of awwwwwwwww

smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/15/11 08:07 PM

We went to a holiday open house at a local (tiny) pet boutique tonight. I am so proud of Steel and Mila! They were perfect! There had to have been at least 50 people there, lots of small children and dogs. Steel even got a little neck message from the groomer.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/15/11 08:32 PM

oh, i thought there would be pictures!! dont you LOVE it when your dogs are STARS!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/15/11 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
oh, i thought there would be pictures!! dont you LOVE it when your dogs are STARS!

Yes, we are spoiled with the pictures, aren't we?!?

So glad to hear how great they were thumbup

Re: When you can't help... - 12/15/11 08:46 PM

Well, I thought there would be pictures. Put the holiday jingle bell collars on. Brushed their butts. Brought the camera, but underestimated how crowded it would be. And then there was a tiny Chihuahua walking around and all I could think of was "one gulp it's over...".

Re: When you can't help... - 12/15/11 08:54 PM

Brushed butts and all, and no picture!

rofl about the gulp!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/16/11 03:42 AM

Brushed butts and all, and no picture!

rofl about the gulp!

Exactly my thoughts too!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/23/11 08:53 PM

Mila had her 3rd Adequan injection yesterday. She's such a good girl at the vet. The new vet in the practice has not charged an injection fee for the last two. Woo hoo! So on the way home we stopped at a little pet accessory store and got Mila a winter jacket.

The new jacket.

On the way to the beach today. Notice I'm sitting in the back. It's a battle I can't win.

At the beach.

Re: When you can't help... - 12/23/11 09:31 PM

I think Mila also snagged a matching leash-what a Diva!

Steel is stoic and gorgeous.

thanks, Joanne,
MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 12/23/11 09:45 PM

My mother saw the one picture of Steel and said is that a man with a dog mask on?!? rofl He just has a human face.

I love Mila's new life.

Joanne has a list of potential human adoptees all clamoring to live with her, and all the BDBH people are asking if they are ready to adopt again.

For work, I have a group of college kids who help us with things and I told them about Mila's adoption and her going to the beach, etc and they were looking at me - they finally said - this is a dog?!? smile

Re: When you can't help... - 12/23/11 09:47 PM

Hey, that looks like Max's jacket, only his is red and gray smile

They both look very spiffy! Brrrrrr....

Re: When you can't help... - 12/24/11 05:07 AM

Jean can you please put me on the human adoptee waiting list for Joanne?!!! smile

I'm so sorry but I rofl at Miss Mila making you sit in the back! wub

Re: When you can't help... - 12/24/11 06:57 AM

MJ, I had bought the leash for Lady Jane years ago, but couldn't use it because she was too strong of a puller. Glad I saved it!

I do call Steel my "manly man dog"!

The jacket is the biggest size they had in stock - which was pretty good for a tiny store. She's so long and skinny. They also had the RC Pet coat for seniors that covers the hips, but it wasn't pretty! I can always make her some pink fleece pantaloons...

Trust me, humans don't want to live here. We keep the heat pretty low!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/24/11 12:05 PM

Looking great, everyone! Sorry about the backseat, Joanne. poke

I keep my heat very low too but since Varda has a cold I have it turned up to 60 and the bedroom is super toasty. I don't even have to wear a hat when I'm in there. laugh

Re: When you can't help... - 12/24/11 02:31 PM

Hats, gloves, multiple layers, hot water bottles, steaming cup of tea...

Ruth, I hope Varda feels better soon!

Re: When you can't help... - 12/24/11 03:24 PM

Joanne - that picture of Mila in the front seat and you in the back is just priceless!! rofl Bossy 'ole broad, isn't she!!! Front seat and next to her dad - life is very good for Ms. Mila!

Steel is just gorgeous... wub

Re: When you can't help... - 01/24/12 07:12 PM

Where are Mila and Steel? I miss them.

impatient

Re: When you can't help... - 01/24/12 08:21 PM

Bonnie, I think I side tracked Joanne a little bit with the poster.

Re: When you can't help... - 01/24/12 09:36 PM

Oh - that's hard. frown For both of you.

Hope she is back soon and posting happy pupdates.

Thanks.

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 09:13 AM

I'm here! Busy month!

Mila started the new year with a visit to the eye specialist. Jean said it wasn't a good idea to let her drive BEFORE the appointment, but we threw caution to the wind...

She had a great appointment! The doctor said the prognosis for her vision is excellent!

The following week Mila had a PT evaluation. My vet suggested it because this vet will do a home exercise plan.

Here she is on the underwater treadmill. She really enjoyed it!

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 09:20 AM

Watching me cut up a turkey.

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 11:30 AM

We finally got some snow!

This is Steel's poopy area. Mila doesn't want Steel to poop in "her" area, but she has no problem pooping in his.

Wonky legs and all, this girl can run!

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 11:39 AM

Steel wasn't feeling well recently. Mila was very compassionate. She wasn't pesty, but would check on him, give him licks and keep him warm.

As soon as he was feeling better, she was right back to being in his business. LOL

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 11:45 AM

Mila still thinks my DH is a burglar when he gets home each morning. She barks and barks and then all of a sudden, she realizes that she knows him and moves in for a butt rub. headbang

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 11:52 AM

Joanne,

I can't help wondering how you ever ran your household without Mila's supervision-that dog not only has an opinion about everything-she thinks she's right!

Thanks so much for the pictures, Mila looks wonderful and Steel provides some piquancy to the pictures of gorgeous GSD here.

MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 04:13 PM

Love these! Especially your attentive audience as you work in the kitchen. My, that is a familiar scene!!

Re: When you can't help... - 01/25/12 05:14 PM

What great pictures and worth waiting for, too! Poor Steel - Mila sure is bossy, isn't she?

I too love the rapt attention with the turkey. Hope a few tidbits were 'accidentally' dropped for them.

And I think it is OK that Mila drives - she has her license, right? rofl

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 04:22 AM

Those are all really great pics!

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 04:32 AM

How sweet of Miss Mila Monster being caring when Steel wasn't well wub

Great photo's and stories smile I couldn't watch the video (private?).

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 10:52 AM

I love the fact that Mila likes the front seat & that she has now just taken over her rightful place as driver!! No doubt if you or Mila should ever happen to get a ticket she could talk her way out of it! rofl

Glad Steel is well after Mila's "proper care" was given too.

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bianca
I couldn't watch the video (private?).

Gee, I was so proud of myself for figuring out how to post a video to YouTube! I fixed it, so it should work now!

I want to remind everyone that Adequan can do amazing things. grin

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
Joanne,

I can't help wondering how you ever ran your household without Mila's supervision-that dog not only has an opinion about everything-she thinks she's right!

Thanks so much for the pictures, Mila looks wonderful and Steel provides some piquancy to the pictures of gorgeous GSD here.

MJ

rofl

It's true.

It is amazing to me how well they accept Mila's quirks, some of which - the thing with Peter - very patient.

She is such a lucky girl. Truly blessed.

Re: When you can't help... - 01/26/12 10:20 PM

wub x infinity grin

Re: When you can't help... - 01/27/12 03:53 AM

Thank you for fixing the video! smile She did great, how often will she do that?

Re: When you can't help... - 01/27/12 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bianca
Thank you for fixing the video! smile She did great, how often will she do that?

Not very often...it's a big commitment. We're starting with the home exercise program. Mila is making great progress with the Adequan, beach walking and stairs. We'll reevaluate in June and if she hasn't made substantial progress toward recovery of her muscle mass, we'll do the underwater treadmill and laser therapy.

She amazes me. She went out for a potty tonight. I turned around to walk back in and all of a sudden she goes barreling by me. She's such a goof!

Re: When you can't help... - 01/28/12 06:14 AM

wub smile

Re: When you can't help... - 01/29/12 01:07 PM

I just love her personality smile

Re: When you can't help... - 03/30/12 09:37 PM

Mila had her heartworm test today...NEGATIVE!!!! party We are so happy and relieved!

She's doing great! She loves to eat, has perfect poops and is less stressed in the car. Mila still barks at my DH when he comes home and when he goes to work. She does not like being ignored until she knocks it off. Then she leans in for a good scratching. Mila really is a trip! I keep telling her she needs to be nice to him since he earns the money to buy her food.

A warm March day at the beach.

Looking attentive.

My son a/k/a The Interloper.

Playing with toys instead of burying them in the backyard!

Thanks for looking!

Re: When you can't help... - 03/30/12 10:21 PM

Words cannot describe how happy this news, and these pictures, make me.

Mila is such a lucky girl. She got her second chance and is just taking it all in.

Thank you for giving her such a wonderful life.

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 04:49 AM

Oh her sweet face in the looking attentive one wub Miss Milla is so very lucky to have found her home with you.

Lol at her barking at DH! smile

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 08:04 AM

Now that is the proper way to spend life as a dog. Loved and respected and cared for. wub Yay for good test results and being settled in and happy!!

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 09:29 AM

http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2012/03/drumroll-please.html

smile

Thanks to Joanne for the pictures and suggesting the update!

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 01:25 PM

Mila had her heartworm test today...NEGATIVE!!!! party We are so happy and relieved!

party this is such great news smile great pictures, great update, great blog, great everything! groovy

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 02:44 PM

WOW that is great news. We are way over do for some great news.

I am so happy that Mila loves her new family. Some times we just don't know what causes some reactions, like the barking at the DH.

Re: When you can't help... - 03/31/12 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
WOW that is great news. We are way over do for some great news.

Yes! And great to see the happy pictures fetch

Re: When you can't help... - 04/01/12 10:01 AM

I'm so very glad to read this.

I followed the link to BDBH and Miss Mila's second act-this is a feel good story if ever there was one. I love the family portrait there.

thanks very much,
MJ

Re: When you can't help... - 04/01/12 03:14 PM

party
So happy to hear that Mila tested (-) for HW! Great work, Jean & dear Dr. Bruno, Joanne & family.
And, oh, that must have green snake with the honking squeaker – Mila, happy dog, got it!

Re: When you can't help... - 04/01/12 05:00 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!!! happyboogie

I'm so happy for Mila in her new home. wub

Re: When you can't help... - 04/03/12 09:26 PM

Wonderful news!!!!!!!

Re: When you can't help... - 04/06/12 05:02 PM

Mila is lucky to be in her new and so caring home. Perfect match, it seems.

Re: When you can't help... - 04/29/12 07:04 PM

Mila and Steel playing. She can really move!

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/3CvToS5aLss[/video]

We bought a little purple elephant pool today at Toys-R-Us. Lots of fun getting it home.

Re: When you can't help... - 04/29/12 07:58 PM

wub wub

What a great video.

I had recently asked Joanne if Steel liked Mila or tolerated her. She said he loved her. I can see it and it is beautiful. And she loves her mama!

All teared up here!

Re: When you can't help... - 04/29/12 09:38 PM

Beyond perfect. Mature love, they show it's possible! wub

Re: When you can't help... - 04/29/12 10:30 PM

wub

Re: When you can't help... - 04/30/12 12:26 AM

So great to see this wub

Mila has found such a great home, and she was needed there!

Re: When you can't help... - 04/30/12 07:35 PM

Mila is such a goof. She was really good about not barking at my DH all weekend even when he was using power tools and carrying lumber around. This morning he came home from work and she acted like he was burglar - barking, fur up. Then she walks up to him and nudges his hand for a pet. I'd love to know what goes on inside her head!

Re: When you can't help... - 04/30/12 11:17 PM

Well, you know that you are safe with her around rofl

Re: When you can't help... - 05/01/12 08:08 AM

Maybe she's just letting Steel know, she's on the ball!

Re: When you can't help... - 05/01/12 08:09 AM

I think Mila was a nun in a former life. She really reminds me of some of the nuns I worked with!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 04:50 PM

I can't believe it's almost been a year! We met Mila (and Jean of course) the day after Thanksgiving.

It's been a year of beach walks and barking at the loose cats in the neighborhood. She still barks at my DH when he comes in the door. Meanwhile her rear is doing the happy wiggle.

We added a new supplement (Vetri Science Jointagen) and she's even more active. Poor Steel. She loves to chase him.

This morning:

Waiting to eat:

Waiting for me join her on the couch for tv time:

Thanks for looking and following Miss Mila on her journey!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 05:20 PM

congrats

vaseroses if that's a dozen, it's one for every month!

I still cannot believe Mila is in Rhode Island. She is such a lucky/blessed girl. Like I said yesterday in an email, I honestly was not sure that Mila would find a home that would find her bossiness amusing. The Mila Monster has found her place in the world, and she is loving it.

Thank you to your family for giving her that, and to Steel too, and to Val/this board for giving you all a place to meet virtually, before your Metcha/Gotcha day last year!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 07:56 PM

A year already?! WOW time flies! Happy Gotcha Day Mila!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 08:55 PM

Happy Gotcha Day, Mila - and you certainly look happy and content.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 09:17 PM

What a perfect home she landed in, Happy metcha/gotcha day Mila! Thanks to Joanne and family, mila is now 1/2 of the infamous Stila laugh

(I can't believe it's been a year...)

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 10:55 PM

Happy Gotcha' Day - a year later. Hard to believe it has been that long.

She certainly looks settled in and comfy!

Steele on the other had/paw looks resigned to keeping her around. Although, I think he secretly likes being bossed around. smile

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/23/12 11:04 PM

A year already?! Happy Gotcha Day, Mila! party What a great match!
Steele and Mila both look just great smile

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/24/12 12:08 AM

Thanks for this update - I had wondered how she was going - mighty fine is the answer!

Happy meetcha/gotcha Days!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/24/12 11:43 AM

What a fantastic play style they share!

(late)Happy Meetcha/Gotcha Day, Miss Mila!

MJ

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/24/12 12:36 PM

Happy Gotcha Day, Mila!!!!!!!!!!!! What a charmed life you have...2 legged servants, a husky in waiting...

wub

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/12 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone! Today is Mila's Gotcha Day. Last year at this time we were taking a wrong turn out of the hotel parking lot. Jean was behind us and I can only imagine what she must have been thinking!

We are "celebrating" the day by taking Steel to the vet for a boo boo on his foot. At least Mila didn't do it. Good thing for her nubbie teeth. She likes to get his attention by biting him.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/12 11:59 AM

Happy Official Gotcha Day Mila!

rofl I thought maybe they knew a new way.

I hope Steel's foot is okay. I am glad Mila didn't do it!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/12 07:21 AM

Happy Gotcha Day Miss Mila! wub wub wub She found the perfect home smile

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/12 07:56 PM

Some recent shots:

Sitting on her bum barking at cats.

Who are you looking at? You're not posting this on the internet are you? Snappa. Snappa.

Steel with his boo boo foot.

Mila supervising Steel's potty this morning because she thinks I'm not capable.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/12 08:11 PM

I cannot stop looking at these pictures and laughing. rofl That is the first time I think I've ever seen a dog sit exactly like that. Both she and Bella are bum sitters but that takes the cake!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/12 08:15 PM

Kate was squatting down one day and Mila came along and sat on her knee!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/12 08:37 PM

rofl GET OUT! Mila has so much personality. I am so glad she is with a funny family.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/12 09:20 PM

OMG, that is hilarious. What a personality she has! She even looks the part.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/12 02:04 AM

Joanne thank you so much for posting these! rofl She is such a hoot! wub

I hope Steel and his booboo are ok?

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/12 06:32 AM

Mila wub cat-watching! I love seeing her! Thank you for posting these. Too adorable! laugh Sending good thoughts for handsome Steel's foot to heal quickly. crossedfingers

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/12 10:55 AM

Oh my gosh, those are great pictures!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/12 02:40 PM

Happy Gotcha Day Mila!!!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/12 03:11 PM

Mila makes us laugh every day!

In the beginning I think Jean was nervous about Steel's size. Turns out Mila is the tough one! She plays hard!

Steel's bandage came off yesterday. *sigh* It looks better though. Trying to keep a sock and/or boot on. It's just some "normal" bacteria and not e-coli. Yay!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/13/13 01:01 PM

Mila is a speed eater - under 60 seconds from start to finish. Jean mentioned a weird slow feeder she saw in the WDJ. I did some googling and ordered one. It certainly works. Now it takes Mila 5 to 8 minutes to eat. The only issues I have with it - it doesn't fit well in my kitchen cabinets and washing it is a challenge. It is dishwasher safe. An added bonus - Steel is happy about meal time again. Her speed eating must have been stressing him out.

Northmate Green Feeder

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/13/13 05:09 PM

Love this!

Wish I could feed Jazz with a toy or something to make it more challenging, but, being homecooked, that would be a mess!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/13/13 05:28 PM

Stila shared grilled portobello mushroom caps with roasted red peppers and goat cheese today - on a separate plate. Salmon oil on the feeder is messy too.

I put LJ's cooked food in the Nina O. Tornado toy. Not too, too messy and I was able to put it in the dishwasher.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/13/13 05:39 PM

Those dogs have it made wub

Hmmm, might have to rethink the feeder. I have one plastic feeder toy, and one that is fake wood. Don't think I will use the wood one!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/14/13 04:26 AM

Wow that is some device!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/14/13 08:34 AM

Oh my, what an interesting product! How great to see Mila! wub What a beautiful girl she is. smile

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 01/14/13 12:53 PM

Wow - that's some contraption! Sammy needs one of those. Even with one of those bowls with the bump in the middle, he eats in less than a minute.

I missed Mila's gotcha day, so a very belated Happy Gotcha Day!! Hard to believe it's been a year. Thoroughly enjoyed the video of the two of them playing. But then I got to the cat watching pictures. I literally laughed out loud!! rofl I've never seen anything like that!

Such a wonderful life she has Joanne. Jean - I can't imagine how good it makes you feel every time you see these updates!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 06:32 PM

Today is Mila's second gotcha day! My husband has endured 2 years of being barked at every time he comes in the house! He's a good sport! He has to come in, sit and pet her for as long as she deems necessary. grin

We started the Adequan process over. It really is amazing stuff. Mila loves to engage Steel in play in the house. It seems to level the field since he can out run her in the yard.

Sorry I can't figure out how to turn the photo!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 06:52 PM

wub

Happiest of Gotcha Days Miss Mila!!! Glad you are doing so well. smile

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 08:55 PM

She sure hit the gold mine when she landed with you guys!! Happy Gotcha Day Mila!!!

I'm glad that the adequan helps you keep everyone on their toes laugh

(Jazz has that same jacket!)

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 08:56 PM

Glad to see Miss Mila again. You need to post more often.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 09:04 PM

wink

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 09:44 PM

Happy Gotcha Day, pretty girl party
Posted by: Wolfie

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/26/13 11:55 PM

partyHappy Gotcha Day, Mila!!

I don't mind tilting my head to the left to look at such a darling girl.wub

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/13 08:23 AM

Thanks everyone! Val, I will make a greater effort to post more often. It would be easier if I could read from my phone. Stupid smart phone.

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/13 08:56 AM

Happy Gotcha Day, Mila! party

She and Steel both hit the jackpot with you and your family!
How old is she and Steel now?
Many happy more years for you!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/13 09:01 AM

Happy Gotcha Day to Mila! She is amazingly lucky to be in such a fantastic home. party

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/13 11:11 AM

Happy Gotcha Day to Miss Mila-who must be a favorite of just about everybody here.

Such a great couple, Mila and patient Steel.

When you have time, pictures would be wonderful.

MJ

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/27/13 11:45 AM

Happy Gotcha day gorgeous girl!! wub She looks terrific and very glad she's doing so well!! party

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/13 01:09 AM

Oh there is the beautiful Miss Mila wub Happy second gotcha day pretty girl!

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/28/13 11:33 PM

Happy Gotcha Day to sideways Mila! You are a character through and through and you sure landed in the home meant for you! wub

Re: Mila's Metcha/Gotcha Days - 11/29/13 10:09 AM

Happy Gotcha Day (belated!) Miss Mila! I cannot say enough how thankful I am for Mila's family and the life that Mila leads. She's such a character. rofl

I know Mila is 11, will be 12 in April. Not sure about Steel, the "other" half of Stila.