~ Laos Surgery ~

Posted by: Lynn P

~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:22 AM

Please keep my Laos in your thoughts today and send positive energy. He's going in for surgery to remove his TPLO plate/screws due to a negative reaction to the hardware. They will also repair an apparent medial meniscus tear, clean out the joint, and send cultures out to see if there is any infection present. I hate putting him through another surgery. And here we go again with the rehab.
Posted by: AvaLaRue

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:26 AM

So sorry, Lynn...I will definatly keep Laos in my prayers today!!
Posted by: Castlemaid

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:34 AM

Me too! Wishing the best and full recovery for Laos!

Heartbreaking what that boy has gone through. Hoping for the best!
Posted by: Jason L

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:39 AM

Good luck Lynn and Laos!! I'll be thinking about you two all day.
Posted by: GSDBESTK9

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 08:35 AM

Good luck Lynn! My thoughts are with you and Laos today.
Posted by: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 08:58 AM

Boy I've been watching this...just sick for you both and hoping that this is the fix!
Posted by: JakodaCD OA

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:14 AM

I am so sorry you are both going thru this:((( Will be sending positive vibes Laos way,,hang in there

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:20 AM

Thanks everyone... just dropped the big lug off. I hope this does put us in the right direction because I'm not going to put him through much more if this doesn't work. I'll let you know how he does after I hear!! I'm going to work to get my mind off of things.
Posted by: Kayos

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:25 AM

I was afraid of this from posts on ohter forums.

Hoping the best for you guys, I kow this must be very hard on both of you.
Posted by: GSDElsa

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:32 AM

Oh no what a mess! So sorry!
Posted by: Jane Jean

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:36 AM

Wishing a smooth procedure and easy recovery this time around for Laos.
Hugs to you Lynn
Posted by: GSDTrain

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:43 AM

So sorry to hear this....sending positive thoughts!
Posted by: bianca

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:45 AM

Sending you both all my positive thoughts and prayers hugging
Posted by: Lexi

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 09:54 AM

Thinking of you and Laos. hugging
Posted by: DancingCavy

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:05 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Lynn. Let's hope this is the fix needed and it's all smooth sailing from here on out. Will keep you guys in my thoughts.
Posted by: AngelJ

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:27 AM

Thinking of both of you today. Positive thoughts are on the way.
Posted by: DnP

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:31 AM

Sending lots of positive thoughts and vibes from here to you and Laos.

So bummed for this setback in Laos' recovery.
Posted by: Vinnie

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:38 AM

Dalton & myself are sending you and Laos our thoughts.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:54 AM

Lynn, I am so sorry that Laos is has to have surgery again.

Sending my best healing thoughts to him right now. Lynn for you I am sending my best strength and calm vibes.

All paws here crossed, that is a lot of paws.
Posted by: dano

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:55 AM

In my thoughts!
Posted by: Tessa's Mom

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:56 AM

Sending good thoughts to both of you and I hope his surgery goes smoothly and that the solves the issues for him.

hugging
Posted by: AgilePaws

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:58 AM

Sending tons of positive thoughts his way.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:59 AM

Thanks everyone...

This is why this dog deserves me fighting for him.. that unconditional love they all give us.

Posted by: GraciesMommy

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 11:01 AM

grouphug

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 11:06 AM

Now that is a picture that will make you smile everytime you see it!
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 11:28 AM

Just one more voice wishing Laos successful surgery and easy recovery and Lynn plenty of occasions to enjoy that unconditional love.

MJ
Posted by: Tara

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 12:09 PM

Sending good thoughts to you and Laos.
Posted by: Karin

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 12:17 PM

I hope that this surgery goes smoothly and Laos heals up with no problems. That is a wonderful picture of the two of you! wub

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:31 PM

Okay, he's out of surgery and doing pretty well. Everything that could have gone wrong with the previous TPLO surgery happened with Laos. Surgeon said the joint was a "mess" with lots of infection in the actual joint capsule as well as under and around the plate. They actually had to scrap the infection off the bone and wash out the joint capsule. Two of the TPLO screws were loose and causing discomfort. Meniscus wasn't totally raptured, so they removed what was needed. Laos will be on a heavy antibiotic regime for several weeks, pain meds, antiflammatory, etc. Cultures will be sent out to see what infection we are actually dealing with and a change in antibiotic meds might happen after that. Right now we have to get this joint infection under control and once we are on the other side of that, we will begin his rehab again. So overall, I'm glad we decided to go in there and evaluate what was going on. Surgeon said he's amazed that the dog was actually walking on the leg at all as he had to be in severe pain. Let's see what else? He should be able to come home later this evening. First couple of days Laos will be allow (on leash) out for elimination only and cold compresses three/four times a day.

Thank you for all the positive thoughts and energy... now the hard part begins. Laos thanks you all too!!
Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:40 PM

Wishing you and Laos all the best. I hope this recovery goes MUCH more smoothly than the last. I'm so sorry that both of you have gone through this!

Wow, Poor Laos! He sure must be a strong boy to have not shown too much discomfort.
Hopefully the worst is over now.

Give Laos a hug for me when he comes home. Poor, strong, braveboy dealing with that mess all this time ...

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:43 PM

You know, this really brings me to tears, because the dog never "complained". I had no idea how much discomfort he was in... and he still "tracked" and did "obedience" (modified, or course). It truly shows the "constitution" of the dog. Thanks everyone.. Laos will be getting lots of hugs this evening.
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:45 PM

Darn West Coast time, I missed the good thoughts for the surgery, but it sounds like he came through with flying colors!

And wow, what a mess, so glad you went in and got this done, he can start getting better now.
Posted by: Kris

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:45 PM

Awww, poor guy. I'm so sorry you're both going through this yet again. Lynn - what did they put back in the knee if he was allergic to the hardware? Or did they discover that the loose screws, etc. were causing the infection?

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your sweet boy!!! hugging

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:49 PM

Kris, since the bone was 100% healed from the original TPLO surgery, he doesn't need the hardware any more. They completely removed all the orthopedic hardware.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 01:50 PM

Lynn I am glad the surgery went well. I really wish this didn't happen, but Laos loves you so much he will try to be a good boy during rehab.

It is amazing what level of pain tolerance some dogs have. It makes it really hard to know when they should be going to the Vet. But you knew he was a little off and things weren't just right.

More hugs to you and Laos.
Posted by: Kris

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 02:10 PM

Since I have no experience with this... Do they typically remove the hardware? I guess I didn't realize that. Figured it was in there forever. Good thing that it's out of there and can't cause any more problems!
Posted by: Natalie559

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 02:26 PM

I am so sorry you two have to go through more of this! This really should be the end of it, hopefully the infection clears soon and he'll be back to normal in no time!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Kris
Since I have no experience with this... Do they typically remove the hardware? I guess I didn't realize that. Figured it was in there forever. Good thing that it's out of there and can't cause any more problems!

Kris, usually the hardware can remain in there for the life of the dog. Apparently 5- 15% of the dogs have a reaction to the plate/screws. Laos was just one of those.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 03:14 PM

WOW Lynn, it truly is amazing what these dogs put up with for us. frown Brings tears to your eyes. frown So glad all that stuff is out of his leg now, hopefully now he will get better and better fast and all that nightmare will be a thing of the past. He is a GREAT dog, you are very lucky to have him. wink
Posted by: cindy_s

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 03:53 PM

Poor Laos, and poor you! Here's hoping for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery. I guess the good news is that he doesn't have to be on crate rest. If the joint and the screws were that problematic, he may actually feel instantly better despite the incision and the mucking around in the the joint.
Posted by: Heidifarm

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 04:13 PM

Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery…

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 06:33 PM

Oh wow what a great dog! And he has a great owner on his side too. Hope he rests well tonight and over the next few days and his pain level is way diminished.

Speedy recovery Laos! (Have a drink Lynn)
Posted by: Emjworks05

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 06:51 PM

I am so sorry Lynn, I will keep you guys in my prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:10 PM

Poor boy!!! Glad he should be on the mend now, though. *HUGS* to you both!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:14 PM

Laos is home and settling in. A little bit of whining but I believe that's more from the anesthesia than anything else. I truly believe if we get this infection under control he'll be as good as new.

This is a picture of the hardware they removed. Might make a nice wind chime, no?

Laos getting settled in though still a little out of it.

Laos getting lots of hugs and kisses.

Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:32 PM

Oh, sweet Laos! I am so sorry you had to go through all this. Lynn, it is good he is in your good hands.

You two look so connected in your pictures. I hope the recovery goes quickly and is uneventful and you can just enjoy each other again.

hugging
Posted by: Götz

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 07:32 PM

So sorry to hear all that you and Laos have had to go through Lynn. Sending good thoughts to you both and hoping for a speedy and full recovery for Laos. hugging
Posted by: Qyn

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 08:04 PM

Glad to read he is doing well. hug

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:01 PM

I have to imagine, very shortly he will be feeling soooo much better!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I have to imagine, very shortly he will be feeling soooo much better!

That's what I'm thinking Lisa.. that I won't realize how bad he was feeling until I get through the next couple of weeks. I'm so glad the surgery is over with.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/08/11 10:45 PM

You know I like the wind chime idea! Poor guy looks pooped, but I think he will be feeling better in a few days. Kayos thought she should attempt to jump out of the xpen 2 days after her hip surgery.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 06:28 AM

So pleased he is home in your expert hands to recover. Lots of gentle hugs for your lovely boy.

Wind chimes is a great idea smile

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 09:46 AM

Lynn - glad to hear the surgery went well and keeping my fingers crossed - Tessa's too - that with the hardware out the infection will be taken care of.

Hugs and kisses to both you and Laos. hugging

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 12:24 PM

It's like a never-ending nightmare.. just got home from taking Laos back to the vet's this morning. He has excessive drainage from the incision site and believe me I'm not "dicking" around with this any more. More or less with the amount of infection and fluid that he had this is expected. They cleaned up the area and skin glued the part of the incision that had separated a little. I've been given instructions how to deal with this. And though Laos has been through so much he gave everyone kisses and placed his head in my lap when the examined him and cleaned up the area. He's also placing weight on the leg which totally amazed his regular vet and the staff there. They again commented on the temperament and constitution of this dog and the strength behind the bond we have.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 12:47 PM

You two make a great team.

hugging to the both of you - I hope this ends soon.

When is the culture due back?

What drugs is he on?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 12:50 PM

culture ~ 3 - 5 days
drugs ~ cephalexin 3 x day
deramaxx 100 mgs. once a day

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 12:58 PM

I suspect the Ceph isn't the right antibiotic.

The anti-inflammatory - I'm wonderding if there isn't ongoing reaction to the metal - a process set in motion not yet stopped. I had conversations with one of indy's vets about this, she had a situation similar to Laos. It was part of my consideration when thinking about what to do with Indy.

Conventional meds to treat that type of immune system reaction (think of it as similar to an autoimmune issue), would be to use pred. I always used Jarrow's True CMO successfully for this type of immune system problem. However, with infection, I might opt to use doxycycline since it's an antibiotic that also will suppress the inflammation in ways that NSAID's won't.

Maybe something to think about.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 01:04 PM

My guess is that they Started on Ceph thinking a possible Staph/MRSA infection which are becoming more common in human surgeries and possibly animals also. The culture will tell for sure.

I am the Staph person, Lisa is the Tick person.

I kinda like the Wind Chime idea.

More Hugs for Laos, he is such a good boy for you Lynn.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
I am the Staph person, Lisa is the Tick person.

greenbeertoast

Forgot all about the staph connection....

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 04:46 PM

Hey Lynn one good thing is that you don't have to worry about the hardware causing bone cancer in the future. I know many believe it does no harm over time, which it probably doesn't for the majority of dogs, but to me it would be nice to know that it wasn't even a possibility since the hardware was removed.

Hugs to you and Laos!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 06:13 PM

Thanks...

we had a second round at the vet's today... Laos some how managed to remove 1/2 his staples... and this with him wear the E-collar. Also I can't find his pain patch any where... so he must have somehow removed that...and maybe eaten it? We had to go back down to have more staples put in.. and them modify the E-collar as some how he's managing to get that knee to his mouth. He received an additional pain injection, another pain patch... and they sent me home with sedatives...which I requested yesterday and they told me he wouldn't need them. Right, they don't know Laos.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 06:37 PM

What an ordeal hugging

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 06:42 PM

What an ordeal hugging

If I wasn't so concerned.. I'd be laughing at this. Maybe within time.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 06:52 PM

No, definitely not the time to laugh about it (yet) frown

I'm sure things will turn, but let's hope it's much sooner than later - like ASAP.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 07:47 PM

Well Laos must have had his hearing turned off because I am pretty darn sure I said what a good boy he is. Laos, your momma doesn't need all these worries, you need to leave that incision alone, it will heal just fine without your attention. I have a feeling it is itching, don't ask me why, but I don't think it is pain causing him to rip out the staples, but an itching - creeping feeling at the incision site.

Lynn, I am sorry that Laos is giving you problems this time around. Tell him one more unexpected trip to the Vet and he is going to stay there until it is all healed up..

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 08:32 PM

Lynn, I may have missed where you are going with Laos, but is Dr Zinc the one who is helping Laos? I was talking with my trainer today and she went to a seminar this past weekend put on by her. Wishing druggy Laos a better day tomorrow, and hope you can both get some rest!
http://www.caninesports.com/

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/09/11 08:47 PM

Oh no...I wonder if they could put one of the ecollars they use on smaller dogs/cats around his leg to keep it covered?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 06:41 AM

Sending you a big hugging Lynn.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 07:11 AM

Okay, we made it through the night without him opening the incision back up. He was heavily sedated which I hate, but for the next day or so I'm going to keep him sedated.

Jean, I was thinking about trying to find one of those no-bite collars (around the neck). Maybe between that and the regular E-collar, he'll leave it alone.

The bandage that they put on there yesterday was off this morning, but the pain patch is still there.

I went into his kennel this a.m. and he gave me a look like "what??".

Thanks everyone.. I'll keep you updated.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 07:15 AM

Jane, no I have not dealt with Dr. Zinc. Originally I was dealing with: VOSM Now I'm actually dealing with the orthopedic surgeon that my regular vet uses and recommends. Just some things that VOSM didn't do that I was concerned about. I won't get into that though on a public forum.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Lynn P
Thanks...

we had a second round at the vet's today... Laos some how managed to remove 1/2 his staples... and this with him wear the E-collar. Also I can't find his pain patch any where... so he must have somehow removed that...and maybe eaten it? We had to go back down to have more staples put in.. and them modify the E-collar as some how he's managing to get that knee to his mouth. He received an additional pain injection, another pain patch... and they sent me home with sedatives...which I requested yesterday and they told me he wouldn't need them. Right, they don't know Laos.

the first night I had Tessa home after her shoulder surgery, they said not to worry about a cone or collar because she would be out of it from the meds, and well I woke up to find that she had eaten her hobbles! Cone head from that point on...

Hopefully Laos will heal and this will be a memory... sending good thoughts and hugs your way.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 12:47 PM

Just finished doing Laos' first ice down session. They told me yesterday to just leave the area only. He's quite out of it, but he's calm in the kennel.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 02:18 PM

poor baby! frown He looks so stoned but calm is a good thing. He needs to heal.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/10/11 10:49 PM

Well, a day without incident and concentrating on healing. Sure am hoping that they continue to get better QUICKLY!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 06:35 AM

Sending lots more 'get well soon' thoughts to Laos and for you to be able to breathe easy Lynn hugging

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 06:51 AM

Laos had a good night... but it still amazes me how he can get that knee inside the E-collar. I haven't had much luck finding the no-bite collars that fit around their neck. The sedation keeps him from obessing with the incision. I'll go to work 1/2 day today and hopefully by Monday (his re-check) he'll be healed enough that I can stop the sedation. You can tell he's feeling alot better.. his eyes just look more focused. He's walking very well on his leg. I think all of the positive energy is helping... keep it coming and thank you.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:27 AM

When Lucas was neutered he became obsessed with licking the incision, a cone didn't stop him and neither did just a collar, but if he wore them together it helped. I know Laos's surgery is different so maybe even with this combo he could reach his knee, but I had success with using both the cone and collar.

Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Karen.. that might help.
Posted by: whitewolf

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:33 AM

Is the Bite Not what you're looking for?

Glad to hear Laos is feeling better!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:34 AM

I really believed that Tessa was part Huudini - she would get out of the bite collar and the only thing that kept her from destroying her hobbles was the cone... she hated it but wearing it allowed her to heal.

Sending good thoughts and positive vibes your way!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:37 AM

Sending good thoughts to you both! Lots of stress taking care of them when they are like this.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 09:38 AM

I believe that Bitenot collar is what Lucas had on - I had borrowed if from a friend. That helped the cone sit higher on his neck so together they worked.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 10:19 AM

That's exactly what I'm looking for Heather.. I'm going to visit a few pet places after I leave work today.. if I can't find it there, I'll order it.

Laos has taken up the art of "howling"... ro relieve his bordem. 4:00 a.m. is a little early for that "alarm clock".

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Sending good thoughts to you both! Lots of stress taking care of them when they are like this.

You aren't kidding... he's got a mind of his own...and when they told me the pain would keep him "down".. I thought to myself "apparently, you don't know Laos".
Posted by: mcavan

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 12:13 PM

Hi Lynn,

Wishing you and Laos best wishes for a very speedy recovery! One thing that helped one of our GSDs was to put an "extension" on the e-collar, we added about 2 plus inches with a few layers of duct tape! That little extra length to the e-collar made it so she could not quite reach her incision and allowed it to heal..

Marcia with Navarre in MI

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 03:25 PM

Just checking in on Laos today.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/11/11 04:21 PM

I went to work for 4 hours today as I didn't want to leave him alone too long. He did pretty good and he's walking well. The incision looks good though even with both collars on he can still get to it. I also tried adding length to just the regular Ecollar and that last about 10 minutes.. he rams the cone into his kennel walls and it bends were the extension is. I think I just have to keep him as sedated as is safe until Monday's re-check visit.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 12:01 PM

Laos vet re-check went well.. even with all the "him driving me nuts" they are pleased with his incision and progress. They of course stapled him back up again and gave me another Ecollar which I modified (added length to the one home) so hopefully now he'll leave everything alone. Cultures came back again "negative" for infection.
Posted by: Chris Wild

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 12:14 PM

Great news, Lynn! Hoping the recovery keeps moving along well. smile

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 01:10 PM

That's great news Lynn!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 03:07 PM

No infection just a bad reaction to the hardware? Allergic reaction will cause the fluid drainage. I am sure when they took the hardware out that some of the histamine was spread into the other tissue, that would have accounted for Laos wanting to take the stitches out, it was itchy in there.

I am glad it wasn't a Staph or MRSA infection.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 07:20 PM

So glad to hear he's doing better. smile

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/14/11 08:19 PM

I agree that an allergic reaction can cause this. But I do think that some bugs are hard to culture. I know this is true of some of the tick diseases.

I'm really glad that the check up went well - some good news is most welcome!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 07:01 AM

Lisa & Val ~ so are you saying that an allergic reaction to the hardware can create drainage from incision and that is normal? Like when a human has running eyes/nose from contact with something they are allergic too?

I'm going to call the vet's again today because I just need reassurance that they are on the right track. I'm just so paranoid and am at the end of my rope with this. Laos was up most of the night moving in his kennel which is unusual, but I guess if he is really "itchy" I can understand that.

Thanks.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 10:23 AM

The bodies way to deal with allergies is release histamines.
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/otc-center/otc-medicines/857.html
Quote:
How do antihistamines work?
When your body is exposed to allergens, it releases histamines. Histamines attach to the cells in your body and cause them to swell and leak fluid. This can cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes. Antihistamines prevent histamines from attaching to your cells and causing symptoms.

I think a call to the Vet is a good thing. The reaction should be lessening by now.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 01:26 PM

I agree with Val.

It can also be a different type of immune response, like the body seeing the hardware as foreign and kinda attacking the sight - that would be more like an autoimmune reaction. Sometimes once started, removing the object doesn't "reset" the immune system, it keeps going.

Personally, I would try something like doxycycline since it's an antibiotic that can be effective for joint infections, but more importantly, it's a very effective immune system modulator - it helps with certain types of immune system inflammation that NSAIDs don't touch. I feel like I'm a bit of an expert on that one drug since I've studied it and used it so much.

Either way, to cover bases, I would want to try a different antibiotic, one with an anti-inflammatory action, to cover my bases.

Supplements or pred can be used (True CMO) is good for this type of inflammation), but I worry about suppressing the immune system and no change in antibiotic, wouldn"t properly cover all bases.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 04:06 PM

Quote:
I always used Jarrow's True CMO successfully for this type of immune system problem.

Lisa, what dosage do you give for this?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 07:21 PM

For a GSD, I would go through a bottle using 3 pills twice a day, which will last for 20 days. At the end of that bottle, I would re-evaluate, and maybe drop to once a day. vitacost.com used to have the best price on it, but I haven't looked lately. I know my local health food store carries it.

Right now, to keep the inflammation down in Max's internal fistula area, I'm giving just two a day.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/15/11 08:38 PM

I should add, that for an immune system reaction that has a trigger event (say the hardware or vaccination, etc.), it's possible that you can taper down on the CMO and then stop using it completely. It is supposed to reset the immmune system reaction.

I did this with Indy, when she had flairs from her vaccine-induced disease, for most of her life. Only during her last year or so did I give it continuously.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/16/11 09:54 AM

Thanks again Lisa.. I just ordered the Jarrow's True CMO and will administer the dosage you suggested. The other supplements that Laos is on are Salmon Oil, Ester C, Vitamin E, this Joint Supplement, Anything else that might be helpful at this point in time?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/16/11 09:55 AM

Glad to read he's improving. Hang in there Lynn!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/16/11 12:43 PM

Does Laos have any immune system issues? Thyroid? Pannus? Etc?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/16/11 12:54 PM

Does Laos have any immune system issues? Thyroid? Pannus? Etc?

As to date, no. None that I am aware of. All of his blood panels have come back within normal limits.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 01:00 AM

Okay, just checking.

I might consider starting with some Pau D'Arco about 4 days a week for a couple of weeks, then give everyday for awhile. It's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, etc. I was trying to think of what I might do for chronic infection, and that's the first thing that came to my mind. I might look around for other products, but the Pau D'Arco is also what I'm using here for Max. Just have to be careful if there are autoimmune issues.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 02:53 PM

Lisa,

What are your thoughts on traumeel and zeel. Just doing a lot of reading lately.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 03:18 PM

Lynn I am haooy to read that there is no infection. Hope Laos improves steadily so you can take the darn collar off and get some rest yourself.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 03:56 PM

Lisa,

What are your thoughts on traumeel and zeel. Just doing a lot of reading lately.

I've used the traumeel creme before and it has helped, for some neck pain.

I think the products are good, and I think there can be individual variation, maybe response to one is better than the other. Since I haven't used either of those combo pills, I don't have much useful to offer in terms of preference though.

I would try them, use it steady for 4-7 days, and see if there is a response. If not, I would try the other one.

If the actual site is itchy, I would use some aloe gel, sparingly on the site. only sparingly since I think there are still staples in there. I did just that when Max had his staples from his bloat - his skin was very red and irritated from them.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 05:22 PM

His incision looks really good today... just cleaned it and this is the first time I haven't had some fluid drainage on the gauze.

Some pictures of Laos on the front porch for a few minutes.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/17/11 07:59 PM

Lynn that is a great sign. Does it seem to be less irritating for him. What a pretty boy.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/18/11 10:04 PM

Yes, what a handsome boy. You can tell that he's feeling better in the pics smile

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/19/11 06:41 PM

Lisa, I just started the CMO today... and he goes back on Monday to get the remaining staples out.. you can tell through his "eyes" that he's feeling better. I really didn't realize how bad he was feeling until he started to feel better.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/19/11 06:45 PM

Lynn, I was just going to check on Mr. Handsome was doing. Less itching?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/19/11 07:18 PM

Lisa, I just started the CMO today... and he goes back on Monday to get the remaining staples out.. you can tell through his "eyes" that he's feeling better. I really didn't realize how bad he was feeling until he started to feel better.

I know what you mean about not realizing how bad they felt until they start feeling better. I had that experience here too.

The CMO should help reset some inflammatory cells. My guess is that you won't have to use more than a couple of bottles of it.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/19/11 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Lynn, I was just going to check on Mr. Handsome was doing. Less itching?

Val, I had one of those "duh' moments and started him on benadryl (100 mgs.) when I realized he's dealing more with inflamation and allergic reaction. He almost immediately calmed down and the itchiness lessened significantly. We are still having a very little bit of drainage, but it's clear and only happends now when he's a little overactive. I'm cautiously optimistic that we might be heading in the right direction. I can't thank you all enough for all the support and suggestions.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/19/11 10:50 PM

This is great news Lynn! The benadryl might also keep him a bit more subdued so he's not too overactive.
Posted by: TRITON

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/20/11 10:02 AM

Hopefully Laos is on the upside now Lynn, sending you hugs.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/21/11 08:40 AM

Thanks Trish.. nice to see you on there again. We go this afternooon to get the remaining staples out (the ones that Laos decided to leave in), and hopefully will get permission to start longer leash walks.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 03/22/11 04:50 AM

Hi Lynn, how did the "remaining" staple removal go? Are longer leash walks soon to be on the agenda too? More controlled activity for Laos will no doubt help with redirecting his excess "exuberance" ... maybe ?!!? crossedfingers

Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 09:33 AM

Good Morning Everyone...

Okay, I now am totally done dealing with apparently incompetent vets. I was so angry yesterday that I couldn't even come on here and vent, but now I need to. I need also to stop self-doubting my "gut" when dealing with Laos and the medical staff.

Took him down to have the staples removed. Okay, should be a normal procedure. I told them that I'm still concerned about some of the swelling and the little bit of drainage that still is present. I'm told don't worry about it, it's just tissue inflammation, etc. That if it was infection the dog would be not feeling this good and he would experience discomfort. Okay, I'm not a medical professional so I believe them.

Laos had about 1/2 inch part of the incision that wasn't totally healed yet. Looks clean, but still this is healing from the inside out. Laos gets up, and I'm not exaggerating, and fluid (the drainage) and this time puss pours out of the incision. I'm standing there with my mouth wide open and not so nicely tell them "okay, tell me again that this isn't infection". I also told them "apparently you haven't been hearing me when I tell you about Laos and his treshold for pain". "You can not tell me that with having such a serious infection at the time of this 2nd surgery that the infection just "disappears" without aggressive antibiotic therapy." I also told them you can not also just rely on culture because of the tendency of "false" negatives.

I am so upset that I didn't trust my intuition. How this surgery was set up is that the orthopedic surgeon does these surgeries at a patient's regular vet's office. The regular vets are responsible for the aftercare. I requested last week that they contact the surgeon to discuss this drainage and the fact that they stopped the antibiotcs. This isn't just one regular vet at this practice, I spoke to two different ones. I demanded that they contact the surgeon this morning. If they do not, I will. They put Laos back on the cephalexin 500 mgs three times a day. They still do not know what type of infection we are dealing with because of the negative cultures.

I think what upsets me the most too is that if this drainage of fluid and puss did not happened at the vet's office yesterday, they would have just sent me home with a pat on my back saying everyhing looks GREAT. So things happen for a reason.

Sorry I needed to vent this morning. Laos' incision looks good this morning, even the 1/2 inch part that wasn't healed looks better. I'm taking it upon myself to do warm compresses as I believe that will help draw the remain infection out, I will clean the site three times a day, and use antibiotic cream. He is to start longer leash walks and I believe that activity will also help.

I'm mad, upset and through all of this concerned of course. Laos doesn't act like anything wrong.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 09:41 AM

Oh Lynn, I'm so sorry you are going through such nightmare. frown What a good boy Laos is. I hope his wounds finally heal and you don't have to deal with this ever again. Hugs my friend!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 09:55 AM

So sorry that this is happening. I hope everything turns out in the end. Sending positive thoughts your ways!
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 09:59 AM

Lynn,

I'm terribly sorry that you and Laos are still going through this. I doubt this will be any comfort to you-but your observation and analysis day by day is just an ideal case of the responsibility we bear and should trust.

I truly hope that your concern and learned demands result in Laos return to himself.

Mary Jane

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 10:04 AM

GAHHHHHHHH! That is infuriating! Until recently I had not had, in a very long time, the experience of vets (doctors yes!) not listening to the owner/the gut instincts and it really and truly hampers the ability of a pet to get and be healthy. Particularly when, in relation to the dog's pain and discomfort threshold, stoicism, etc, you of course know your dog best.

Hopefully the Ceph will work. I mean, my gosh, what can happen when an infection goes on...I am disgusted right there with you.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 10:09 AM

I know, the more I think about this the more disgusted I get. What's so infuriating too is that the staff at the regular vet were talking about the incompetence of VOSM (who did the original surgery), and I'm thinking to myself later, "you all are just as bad". I will be changing vets very shortly, believe me.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 11:52 AM

Good Morning Everyone...

Okay, I now am totally done dealing with apparently incompetent vets. I was so angry yesterday that I couldn't even come on here and vent, but now I need to. I need also to stop self-doubting my "gut" when dealing with Laos and the medical staff.....

Don't be too upset with yourself, but do be upset with them.

While we all need to be our dog's best advocate, we should not have to be leading the vet team, which it seams so many times we have to (to some degree), and then we beat ourselves up. We take on the responsibility, yet we usually don't have all the knowledge we need, and we certainly don't have the ability to treat (prescribed drugs, etc.).

Even with that, I can't tell you how that happens to me still, over and over.....though I am still much better than I used to be. You can't have a vet-owner relationship without instilling a certain amount of trust and confidence in the vet. When that happens, you open yourself up to this.

I am glad that this happened at the vet's office, so at least he will get the attention he so rightly needs. You are so right - they remove a plate for what they consider an infectious reason, yet don't follow up with appropriate therapy.

What a courageous and wonderful boy to deal with all this.

hugging to you, you should only have to be worrying about your sick boy, not the competence of your vet.

Too much of this going around.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 12:02 PM

Hang in there Lynn and Laos! So sorry to hear you are continuing to have issues!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 01:04 PM

Well, I hope that pus drainage was the infection saying goodbye to Laos!
Healing thoughts for him and hope the antibiotics work NOW!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jane Jean
Well, I hope that pus drainage was the infection saying goodbye to Laos!
Healing thoughts for him and hope the antibiotics work NOW!

Now that's what I like.. POSITIVE attitude.. thanks Jane.. maybe you are right.
Posted by: Sylv

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 01:51 PM

Sending positive thoughts to you and Laos hugging
Posted by: DnP

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/22/11 02:13 PM

Lynn, I am so PO'd for you and what you had to deal with today. mad You have EVERY right to be upset with the vet and they sure as heck should have been bending over backwards apologizing to you.

I call BS on the culture being done correctly. If there was still drainage after this long and an unhealed part of the incision, then they should have taken cultures of more than one area. (We dealt with infection in my dad's knee replacement for several years until we found a surgeon willing to LISTEN.) Like you know your body, YOU know Laos. Don't beat yourself up for doubting your gut. Professionals can make us do that...and we like to think that a vet KNOWS what they are doing and actually LISTENS to the owner, especially a vet we have trusted.

I hope they took a culture of the fluid/pus that came from the wound to be tested to determine what kind of infection exists.

Ok, over being pissed for you....I sure wish this would get better for you and Laos. The two of you have been through the wringer with the two surgeries, the infection and rehab. He is one tough cookie and I admire all that you have done for and with him. Sending healing thoughts and a big ole kick the vet in the pants hug!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 01:49 AM

All I can add is I am glad Laos has you as his guardian - imagine how many other patients would just go home. Hopefully, you have put a rocket up this office for the benefit of other patients. Hugs to you and Laos and best wishes for a continued and (this time) uncomplicated recovery. What a good boy he is to put up with this - too bad he couldn't vent himself (in an approved schutzhund manner - with no jumping, of course).

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone... he seems to be doing okay. The warm compresses a couple times a day is definitely drawing the infection out. I apply heat (wash cloth ~ hot water), and massage the area. Then within time the infection starts working it's way out. Not for weak stomachs. The incision looks good and each day a little bit more of it is closed.

Like the way you think Alison.. that made me chuckle. So instead of Laos giving kisses to everyone.. a good old bite in the ass would be appropriate.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 10:30 AM

OMG. I would probably be fuming too! Poor Laos!!
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 11:51 AM

Lynn, I am so very sorry that you and Laos are going through this! You DO listen to your gut.. it's just that we're all trained to let a doctor do his thing and stay out of it. Your intuition was spot-on, and you did advocate for Laos VERY well at the vet's! I am glad the drainage and puss made them see what you had been saying. And pain threshholds in dogs like this, well, it isn;t the same as a soft, sensitive, companion-type dpg who's very attuned to pain levels. Dogs like Laos only show pain or discomfort when it's more considerable. I am so sorry for what you're both going through!

May Laos heal well and smoothly with the cephlexin on board and warm compresses and gentle walking activity. You are the BEST dog mom!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone.. and Patti thank you for the kind words.

Question ~ someone suggested putting Laos on metronidazole along with the Cephalexin? Any thoughts on that?

Laos has an appointment on Friday with another vet (his co-owner's).

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 12:53 PM

Glad you are going to another vet! I never understood why no drain was placed even after surgery with that much fluid in there. If you have drainage, most times a drain is placed to evacuate the area. It has no where to go if it's closed up surgically; so guess it's good he still has the opening from the incision for the drainage to come out. Warm compresses are good, will draw out the drainage typically. Antibiotic cream isnt' going to hurt, but it's not going to do too much for that infection.

Lynn, have the new vet do a wound culture again. Will be easy with that much drainage. The best way to treat an infection is to find out what it is and what it's susceptible too, otherwise you're just guessing with antibiotics. Culture should take a few days to grow out. Plus if you put him on antibiotics that aren't correct for the infection, then that builds resistance to those drugs. Creates a whole other kind of mess....

Flagyl in people is commonly used for infections digestive system, sometimes for certain kinds of abcesses,etc because it will penetrate the abcess wall. Again, he's on a broad spectrum antibiotic right now, basically they are guessing though, get cultures and then you will be able to treat correctly!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 01:06 PM

Thanks Trish.. they want to put him on Baytril along with the celphalexin right now. If I had a gun.. I'd probably use it right about now.
Posted by: elisabeth

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 01:25 PM

Thinking of you and Laos - lets hope he is on the road to recovery - for good this time and the vets get a good kick in the.. well.. you know..

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 01:37 PM

He's been on the celphalexin before wasn't he? Did they up the dose?

I think they are guessing at this point frown

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 01:57 PM

Trish, he's been on clavamox for about 4 weeks (4 weeks post op from the original surgery), and then again for 2 weeks )around the 12 week post op mark). He's been on the celphelxin after both surgeries for 10 days. They just increased the celphlexin to 3 times daily this go around, and added the baytril today. I know they are guessing. They have taken cultures on two occasions with the same negative results. I know when a dog is on antibiotics you can get a false negative. During the time of taking of cultures Laos was off all antibiotics for a week before cultures were taken for that reason. I just keep wondering why these cultures keep coming back "negative".

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 04:57 PM

Some epsom salts in the water you use for a compress might help?

I wouldn't use the CMO until the infection is better controlled or gone unless there is uncontrolled inflammation. I have no real reason not too, but wouldn't want to interefere with anything, just in case.

Bromelain or systemic enzymes like Wobenzym or Fibrozym would be helpful here.

Flagyl. In lyme it's used when the bacteria change to a cyst form that the regular antibiotics can't reach, for reasons mentioned above. If he has had it beofre and tolerates it, maybe not a bad idea. This is why some lyme folks switch to an herb like samento. Biofilms and bacterias are nasty things, they build such safeguards.

The cultures - seems like this is an uncommon bug perhaps? They are not culturing for the right things? I know that when they culture for tick stuff, they often don't get it. Not saying this is tick related, that's just my frame of reference. We always thought Indy's source of reinfection was from bacteria around her plate that would disseminate throughout her body.

I wouldn't add any creme to the wound, only because I would be afraid of it closing up too soon? A drain might make sense?

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/23/11 07:08 PM

I was thinking about the epson salt today myself Lisa.. thank you. I'll stop the CMO for the time being, and will stop the antibiotic creme for a little while. The incision looks good today. I haven't really seen any real drainage after the warm compress and massage the area. I did talk to the surgeon today and was assertive with my displeasure of Laos' aftercare. He told me that I can call him directly from now on. It was not fun walking into my vet's office today to pick up the Baytril (a couple of pills until my online order comes in), everyone was very "reserved" with me.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 10:13 AM

I would definitely call the surgeon directly on everything then. Should of had that from the start...."reserved" or more like embarrassed because they screwed up I think. Put you and Laos through the ringer.....They made a mess of it all.

Hoping the incision stays slightly open, that's all you got for a drain. I'd keep doing the compresses. You probably expressed the worse of it for now. Hopefully with the Baytril and the Keflex you will start to see a difference. If not, the drainage will start up again...

He ever run a fever through any of that?

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 10:46 AM

Hi Trish, no Laos has never had a fever and never has acting "sick". I have a friend that works at the vet's office and I talked to her a little last night. She told me that I really "stirred" things up down there. They knew (the vets) they had made a big mistake and when I told them to contact the surgeon they also knew I was not playing around any more.

Laos had a little bit of drainage yesterday evening. This morning everything looks clean and there is still a small opening so any remaining fluid can be expelled. Laos has really been a trooper through all of this.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 12:13 PM

What a stoic boy, good thing he has such a smart mom who's not afraid to kick some butt, lol wink

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 03:45 PM

I agree with Trish!

I bet surgeons hate it when vets screw up the aftercare of their good work. The vet screwed up Indy's aftercare when she had her hip surgery.

I sure hope he's turned a corner!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 05:56 PM

Lynn, I am so sorry that things go so messed up for Laos.

I am sending Laos a BIG hug for being such a good boy.

I really don't understand why the two cultures would come back negative. Even if they did, Antibiotics do a good job at modulating the immune system so it may have helped with the allergic reaction. My gut tells me that it is a Staph infection, those nasty things can sort of lay dormant for a while and then pop up. He is getting 500 mg 3 times a day, correct? For how many days??? Baytril is a good add as it is broad spectrum and if it isn't Staph it should catch it.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 05:57 PM

Ugh, what a nightmare. So sorry for you and Laos that you continue to have to suffer through this. frown

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 11:30 PM

Thanks everyone...

Yes, Val he'll be on 1000 mgs. (2 - 500 mgs.) of Cephalexin 3 times a day for a couple of weeks, and the Baytril dose is 136 mgs (2 - 68 mgs each) pills once a day) for a couple of weeks.

Laos' attitude is great.. his energy level high, good appetite, bowels normal. Still seeing significant drainage today though, which I guess is good. I hope a couple more days of the antibiotics yields some results.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 11:32 PM

Give the boy some extra ear scritches from me. Sure hope those abx kick in soon.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/24/11 11:56 PM

OK they are hitting it harder than I thought. Good thing. I did notice when Lakota has to be on Ceph for long term that he looses his appetite.

Are you giving any Probiotics to keep his tummy with good bacteria. ABX are great at killing bacteria and they don't know good from bad, so it usually wipes all the good bacteria out of the digestive tract.

If you give Probiotics give them about 4 - 6 hours away from the ABX. I know it takes a lot of scheduling since you are probably not giving the Ceph and Baytril at the same time.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/25/11 06:48 AM

They didn't say anything about giving the baytril and cephalexin at different times ~ that one dose he's given both. I've been giving him yogart inbetween the antibiotics. There is an awful lot of drainage this a.m. I work fulltime so scheduling at least 6 - 8 hours between the antibiotics is taking some scheduling. I just hope too that "it kicks in soon". I'll be making another appointment with another vet early next week as I wanted to give this regime of meds at least 5-7 days.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/25/11 07:38 AM

I guess as long as it is draining away it is not being kept inside where it can fester further and at least you can see what is happening i.e. both the colour and volume of the fluid. I hope these abx do the trick and this can all be put behind both of you so you can get on with the "fun stuff".

Best wishes.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/25/11 09:05 PM

Lynn - I have no idea if it works or if it is coincidental but I have been using DMG after surgeries and for big healing stuff for a while - it always seems like it goes faster than you would expect since I've started doing that. I think this is it: http://www.vetriscience.com/glutadmg1.php

Again, not sure...

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/25/11 09:48 PM

Thanks Jean and Alison.. Jean I'll look into that...

Incision is still draining (not as much). I think with all the warm compresses I've been doing maybe the infection is finally working its way to the surface (some noticable swelling). Incision continues to look pretty good with just that small area where fluid is draining. I took Laos for 3 "around the block" walks today.. he needs it to let off some steam.

This is my plan of action ~ if he improves by Monday, I'll stay on the current path. If I'm not happy with where we are on Monday, I'll schedule an appointment with that 2nd vet. I'm thinking maybe since the incision is closing up.. that aspiration of the fluid might help (one more time). I will probably have them run the test for tick bourne diseases as I did find a tick on him a couple of weeks ago. I also will have a complete blood panel done to check on everything.

I need a "dog" Dr. House!! I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/25/11 11:38 PM

I think that's a great plan. I am so hoping that everything goes smoothly from this point on - I know you are too!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/27/11 02:49 PM

Hoping the abx work soon. crossedfingers

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 07:12 AM

Good Morning...

I don't want to jinx anything, but this morning (and maybe it's just hopeful thinking) I believe the swelling in Laos knee is starting to go down a little. Don't get me wrong there's still swelling there, and the incision is definitely closed, but at least the fluid doesn't appear to be continuing to develop.

Since I'm not a medical personal ~ question ~ with a situation like this one, does the fluid desolve into the surround tissue? Without it draining out any longer that is my question. (sorry if it's a stupid one).

I'm going to ride this out until Wednesday as I have a follow up appointment. If by then there's still significant fluid I will request aspiration of that fluid. It would not do me any good to have cultures done as he's been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and that would definitely result in a false negative reading.

Thank you all for the support, prayers and positive thoughts/energy. Maybe, just maybe we are turning a corner.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 11:03 AM

Lynn, may this indeed be a sign of improvement! We are all sending good thoughts and prayers and healing vibes for Laos to heal and soon be back to himself. We'll all continue to send Laos our best wishes for this to finish draining, continue healing. Count on us all to be with you in spirit on Wednesday, too. hugging

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 11:38 AM

I am always pulling for you two, Lynn!!!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 12:39 PM

:fingerscrossed:

I don't know about the fluid question.

Once the infection is well under control, I'd start up the CMO, you'll have to use your judgment. For now, I'm just happy that he is continuing to get better!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 01:08 PM

Not a stupid question Lynn! Answer to the fluid is yes and know. The body can absorb fluids in some situations but it depends on what type of fluid and the amounts. That opening in the incision has been such a blessing for you really because it has an outlet. Once it closes, yes you can aspirate it with a needle. But that's more of an interim solution. That would be ok if the drainage slows down and he's responding to the antibiotics. Then you would only have to aspirate hopefully once or twice and then the body will take care of the rest.

What you should be seeing is less draining and less swelling as the antibiotics start resolving the infection if this strength and family of antibiotics is working. So, maybe that is starting to happen if the swelling is going down. It sounds like he's feeling better, but I think I'd keep that appointment with the vet. Crossing my fingers for you.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 01:52 PM

Hopefully this is going to be the key to getting the infection under control.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 01:55 PM

I surely do hope so everyone... it's been a long journey.
Posted by: Catu

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 03:06 PM

I have not posted in this thread, but I wanted you to know that i've benn reading and sending good vibes for you and Laos.

As for the fluids, yes, they get absorved. The lymphatic system is in charge to remove them and clean the remaining infection. smile

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 05:37 PM

Okay, I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed.. the swelling is definitely starting to go down... when I applied warm compresses this afternoon after work, I'm in tears because it's been so long since I can say "we are making progress". Laos is licking my face like "what's wrong Mom"... I'm just praying that this progress continues.

Laos enjoying a marrow bone after our second neighborhood walk.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 05:48 PM

Awww Lynn, wish I was there to give you a hug my friend. Stay positive, it is very important. I'm here for you for whatever you need, just give me a holler!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 07:35 PM

i'm also keeping up with this thread, glad he is doing better! He's such a handsome boy and such a good patient:)
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 10:14 PM

I'm in tears because it's been so long since I can say "we are making progress". Laos is licking my face like "what's wrong Mom"... I'm just praying that this progress continues.

Prayers from the midwest too, and fingers crossed. crossedfingers

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/28/11 11:07 PM

I thought that was an ice cream cone when I first looked!

Big XOXO to Laos and fingers crossed that this progress continues, Lynn. What an ordeal but just making you all stronger. Pretty soon you will be like the Bionic Woman and Max!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 01:24 AM

hugging it must feel like you can finally breath a little bit, and also to feel like his ordeal will soon be better. Sure am holding my breath for you guys.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 08:11 AM

Sending my prayers that he is finally on the right path to recovery hugging

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 09:18 AM

Lynn, it has been a much longer road for you and Laos than any would wish for either of you but it seems that it is finally the "right" road. Full recovery will not be far away and when he is fully recovered you will soon look back on this as a minor setback for your beautiful boy. He is lucky to have you and he knows it as much as we do. hug

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 09:26 AM

Thanks everyone...

This morning it looks very promising.. even more of the fluid build up is going down. I think adding this 2nd antibiotic (Baytril) is doing what needs to be done. I believe I can say I'm cautious optimistic at this point. Took Laos out back in the training area last night (on-leash), he saw one of his balls (which usually I make sure are all out of sight) and he got away from me.. my heart went up into my throat, but for a few seconds.. Laos was quite pleased with his freedom. I need to build up mass muscle before he can get any significant "free time" to avoid injury. I'm hoping that in another week I can start swimming him. He still has a slight limp, but is definitely fully bearing weight on that knee when walking.

crossedfingers

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 09:30 AM

Nice update! Except where he decided to run off!
I think the swimming will help his healing, too~and get some of his much excess energy burned.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 10:39 AM

Hooray for some good news!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 02:23 PM

Yes, definitely good news!

In this case, I would rather be on antibiotics too long than not long enough, if there is any question.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 05:18 PM

Oh believe me I have a four week supply of baytril and I'm going to finish that course out. I'll let you all know how the recheck tomorrow goes and how the staff "handles" me. <<wicked smile>> Thank you again.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/29/11 08:17 PM

Lynn, we'll all be cheering you and Laos on at that appointment! As for the vet staff... do you remember how Ralph Kramden responded when his wife Alice would catch him doing something WRONG, and give him "The Look?"
"Uhhhh... h-h-hammina-hammina-hammina..."

Laosw, Grimm and I are sending you good vibes for healing, a very smooth and speedy recovery, and a chance to chomp something! fetch

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/30/11 06:14 PM

Breathing a very BIG sigh of relief. Just got back from Laos' re-check appointment and they are very pleased with the progress he's made this week. Incision is definitely healed and looking good, swelling is going down noticably, range of motion very good. I will continue with both antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory medication for at least four more weeks to make sure that nasty infection doesn't make a come back. Now that we have the infection under control this will give his ligaments/tissue a chance to heal. I am to increase leash walks for the next several days (we have been walking about 1/2 mile three times a day). If he does well with that increase in activity I will be able to start swimming him early next week. I'm still "cautiously" optimistic because through Laos' recovery he has made progress with set backs. So though I will project that positive energy, I'm taking this very slow and easy. I think I might just have to made a drinkie poo to celebrate. Thank you all!!!

Lisa, I would assume I should start the CMO again now?

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/30/11 07:39 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/30/11 08:25 PM

Good news and hoping that Laos continues to progress with no set backs.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/30/11 09:19 PM

Wonderful news! I think maybe a couple drinkie poos smile

Yes, I would start the CMO, it will help keep the inflammation down as you start rehab.

I am so encouraged with this wonderful news!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/30/11 11:51 PM

Hooray!! Great news.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/31/11 12:13 AM

awesome!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/31/11 07:41 AM

Wonderful news - I am so happy for you both. Continue the trend forward ..... party

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/31/11 08:58 AM

Good news! Hope it continues to improve!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/31/11 10:18 AM

Thanks everyone.... I definitely feel "light hearted" this morning.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 03/31/11 10:31 AM

Hopefully this puts you on the other side of the battle- been thinking about you two.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/01/11 04:46 AM

That's great news, FINALLY! Sounds like you guys are on the upswing smile

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/01/11 07:35 AM

Brilliant news! Continuing to send healing thoughts his way smile

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/01/11 11:26 AM

Lynn that is good news. I am glad things for you and Laos are heading in the right direction.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/01/11 11:48 AM

Thank you.. I think Laos is feeling my relief.. he was in his kennel last night doing some major rearranging of items.. (cot, water bucket, metal bowls, rugs) having a grand old time making lots of noise. I think he's feeling better. I'm still going to take this slow and easy with the pending rehab exercises.

Lisa, Dosage for the CMO = 3 pills twice a day?

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/01/11 09:39 PM

So glad he's makin' the good kind of noises!

That dose of CMO is for a pretty acute situation, or a loading dose.

I would give that dose for a week. If there's a lot of inflammation or if there is ongoing aggravation, continur it for a bottke. Otherwise, you can drop to once a day. I guess it depends on your sense of how things are going. I know you can't judge by his pain response!!
Posted by: Barb E

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/03/11 05:51 PM

laugh This is good news Lynn!!!
hugging

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/04/11 10:56 AM

Good Monday Morning.. just a quick update.

I took Laos to training with me both days this weekend to get him out of the house and to take walks more than just around the neighborhood. I believe he enjoyed it. He's doing well.. when I feel the knee area, I do not feel anymore "fluid" though there is still a lot of swelling of tissue/muscle. The incision looks good though he will have quite a scar. He continues to utilize the leg well though with still a slight limp (which I was told would last for months). He's definitely acting more "puppy like" and I believe he's just overall feeling a lot better. He is still on cephalexin, baytril and deramaxx though we have stopped the tramadol.

Thank you all for the continued support. After this week of longer leash walks, I'll probably start swimming him next week.

Hugs.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/04/11 11:37 AM

Lynn that sounds so good. I think it will take a while for the limp to go away after all that the big guy has gone through.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/04/11 09:57 PM

Wow, what a huge relief :whew:

So glad to hear this. Even better as he progresses and needs one less drug at a time! And so glad he is feeling better!
Posted by: whitewolf

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/04/11 10:13 PM

So glad to hear Laos is feeling better! hugging

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/04/11 10:55 PM

glad he is doing well!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/05/11 07:59 AM

What a great update!
Posted by: Castlemaid

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/05/11 09:10 AM

So happy to hear some good news! What a crazy heart-wrenching roller coaster ride this has been!

I bet hearing Laos doing his the kennel re-decorations just put a HUGE smile on your face! smile

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/05/11 10:15 AM

Great news, Lynn. thumbup

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/05/11 04:15 PM

Very good news for you guys! Hope Laos continues to steadily improve and hope he is back on the training field working in a few more months.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/06/11 04:19 PM

Had the opportunity to take Laos out back on the deck for a much needed bath. He's feeling so much better. Just wanted to share a few pictures:

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/07/11 07:39 AM

He is looking great!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/07/11 08:53 PM

He's got a naked leg!!

So glad he is getting around better! His eyes say he is definitely getting better, still has a way to go, but MUCH better!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/07/11 09:04 PM

Poor boy's been through so much. So glad he seems to be on the mend finally. He definitely looks like he's feeling better.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/10/11 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone....

Laos went tracking yesterday and today.. and we are increasing leash walks.. He's doing really well!! I'm very relieved and pleased.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/10/11 03:43 PM

That is so good to hear, Lynn!!!

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/10/11 04:22 PM

Outstanding news laugh

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/10/11 05:54 PM

Thanks everyone....

Laos went tracking yesterday and today.. and we are increasing leash walks.. He's doing really well!! I'm very relieved and pleased.

party

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/11/11 10:37 PM

That is wonderful news! At least tracking keeps his brain going and will be good for him mentally.

Re: Update ~ Laos - 04/11/11 11:22 PM

Lynn, I a glad things are really starting to improve. Tracking is good brain exercise and not hard on the body.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/13/11 02:03 PM

I just caught back up with your thread. I'm so glad that all of this horrible mess looks to be behind you and Laos.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/13/11 07:23 PM

Laos had a vet appointment today.. they are pleased with his progress.. still a good amount of scar tissue right over the knee, but definitely no fluid in there. They believe some of this will break down, but he'll probably always have a little bit of swelling (for lack of a better word) because of all the trauma to this area. They believe that Laos is at a point that everything in the knee area (ligaments, bone, etc) is stable and that he could begin to resume "normal" activity. When I described what Laos' "normal" activity would consist of they stated "well maybe NOT yet". ;-) This week I started doing "hill" walks to intensify some of the muscle mass building and strength. My plans are to continue this for a week or so, add in one or two swim sessions this coming week and see where we are. Laos still has a limp, but I believe it's more from muscle/tissue soreness & weakness as the knee joint itself is stable. I will start in a week or so giving him some long-line on-leash freedom in one of the smaller dog yards (20 yard long line). This would allow him free access to the perimeter of that yard with me still having some control should he get a little over stimulated. We are continuing with both antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory for two more weeks. He'll probably remain on the anti-inflammatory for about another 30 days. So though I'm still going to proceed very slowly with his rehab and allowing any type of freedom, I'm optimistic that we are over the "critical" part of this. He has one more follow-up in 2 weeks.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/13/11 09:40 PM

Great update! You and Laos deserve the end of this saga to be over so you can get on with life!
Posted by: Cassidy's Mom

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/13/11 11:10 PM

I can't believe this has been going on for so long. Poor boy. frown I really hope you've turned the corner and things will be looking up soon.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/14/11 05:55 AM

Keeping everything crossed here that he does well with the increased freedom smile It has to be time for him to continue with his great life hugging

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/14/11 08:48 AM

Here's to the soon-to-be "leaps and bounds" - the return of which, to me, was the point of this whole thing in the first place. With all Laos has been through he will no doubt take a little longer to be fully functional but considering how far he has come in the last two weeks alone he is well on the way to the "great life" Bianca referred to above. Take deeeeep breaths Lynn, the future will be bright. happyboogie goodjob

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/14/11 09:22 AM

Lynn glad o hear the check up was pretty positive. I guess after all this time and effort, slow and careful rehab is a must. I bet Laos will be very happy to have some freedom too. Hope the next check up is more good news.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/17/11 01:59 PM

Laos' first "free time" in one of the small dog yards.. on a long line. Still a slight limp, but he's using the leg constantly. I believe once the muscles have been strengthened he'll have a much more normal gait. He's been through so much. Three minutes of "free time" felt like total bliss to the dog.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/17/11 03:50 PM

Yea for Laos, a little free movement.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/17/11 09:20 PM

He looks great and like he is the happiest dog in the world. Great work! FH2 in the future?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/17/11 10:38 PM

He must feel so much better, to be able to play smile

Do they have you doing range of motion exercises to make sure that he starts using the knee properly?

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/18/11 08:04 AM

Lisa, still doing ROM and icing the knee down. You can just tell he's feeling so much better.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/18/11 09:18 AM

He certainly has no problem getting up and walking on the green lounge furniture and he can shake the jolly ball with the best. I think he is doing great!! thumbup

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/18/11 09:57 AM

He looks good, Lynn. So happy to see Laos be able to move around like that and play!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 12:42 PM

Thanks everyone.. I'm taking him for his first swim session at 2:00 today... slow and easy.. at least I'll try as he loves the pool. I'll let you know how that goes.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 01:39 PM

Still rooting for your continued success!! Laos is such a trooper!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 04:51 PM

Laos did well.. though it's hard to keep him calm while trying to get him in the pool... he loves it. Once I get him in the pool I can control him and his movements. He's a little sore so we may have over done it (or I have to figure out how to "calmly" get him into the pool).. gave him a dose of tramadol and he'll have a "rest" day tomorrow.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 05:06 PM

Video of Laos swimming with his best friend, Wyatt, my sister's goldendoodle.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 05:30 PM

Wow he is looking so much better Lynn and why is it they bite the ball and no the handle on the ball?? thinking

Glad to see him moving and getting stronger each day.
Posted by: Tara

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/20/11 09:19 PM

Nice! He looks great - seems to be using his leg pretty well. I love how he swims with his ball too! smile

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/21/11 12:43 AM

He is looking great smile I can see where he might be sore though!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/21/11 07:08 AM

That's everyone.. he's fine this morning... I'll just keep the leash walks short today and give him a chance to "rest". Hopefully get him back in the pool on Sunday.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/26/11 08:54 AM

Laos had his 2nd swim therapy session yesterday and he did good. He swam for the entire 15 minutes with a couple of breaks so he could catch his breath. I've got a routine down to keep him pretty under control while NOT in the pool. I make sure he swims slow and with a little bit of resistence (me hold him back with a long line). He was a little sore afterwards, but I walked him when we got home (to work out the muscles) and he was fine after that. I'm encouraged as I see his strength building back up in the leg. He's finished up one antibiotic (cephelexin) and has about 10 more days of the baytril. Keeping that cautious optimism going.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/26/11 04:46 PM

Glad to read this Lynn.

What a long, hard road you two have taken.. glad to see you guys are making it through together!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/26/11 10:00 PM

crossedfingers that he remains stable after the antibiotics are done. I love the progress that he is making!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 04/26/11 10:16 PM

Hoping that this good road to recovery continues for Laos.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/10/11 06:57 AM

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Laos continues to do really well (did I say that out loud?). He's been off all antibiotics for 10 days now and believe me I'm keeping my fingers' crossed. The only medication he's still on is a low dose of deramaxx for anti-inflammatory (we'll stop that in about another 2 weeks). We are up to about 2 good 30 minute walks, 5 minutes of free time (long line on & supervised) in one of the yards, and he's swimming 3 times a week (also on a long line for control). Sometimes after swimming he's a little sore, but he's always able to work that stiffness out. We have started some obedience training again, going back to the basics of focus work. He's been tracking and we are starting to increase the length of those tracks. We have a follow up vet appointment today and I'm hoping they will release him from care. It's been seven months since the original TPLO surgery. How nice will it be to hear those words "okay I don't need to see him unless there's a problem". Thank you all again for the support during these challenging months.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/10/11 11:35 PM

I'm so glad to read this Lynn!!!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/11/11 09:53 AM

Wonderful news goodjob

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/11/11 10:22 AM

Outstanding news!!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/12/11 10:21 AM

Heard those wonderful words yesterday at the vet's:

"Laos is released from care unless a problem arises" Happy Dance for sure. We are to continue with the rehab (swims, walks, some supervised off-leash time) and increase those exercises as tolerated. They feel by summer he'll be close to 100%. I am very much relieved... and to think back in February I was ready to put him to sleep.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/12/11 10:38 AM

party

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/12/11 11:01 AM

groovy

Wonderful news!

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/12/11 12:49 PM

Thinking of you two and hoping this truly is the end.

Re: ~ Laos Surgery ~ - 05/13/11 07:49 PM

You two have been through the ringer - so glad that he continues to do well w/o the abx!

party

Update.... - 06/01/11 06:12 PM

Just wanted to post this last video to this thread... Laos is doing well.. if we over do it during swim sessions or other physical therapy he'll becomes a little sore, but with rest he's back ready to go in a day or two. I just let him dictact how much to do.

Posted by: Vinnie

Re: Update.... - 06/01/11 06:21 PM

That was so fun to watch! Really put a smile on my face because I'm so happy to see Laos doing so well. Thank you. thumbup

Re: Update.... - 06/01/11 07:25 PM

Lookin' good!

Re: Update.... - 06/01/11 11:32 PM

Laos is Looking good. I know it took a while for Lakota to get full strength and extension on his leg, he still babies it once in a while.

Was that Dante sounding so unhappy???

Re: Update.... - 06/02/11 02:55 PM

I am glad he is continuing to improve! I know you must be anxious for this to finally be over. hugging

Re: Update.... - 06/02/11 10:18 PM

So glad that he is continuing to improve. I bet that leg will continue to get stronger for some time. Great job guys!

Re: Update.... - 06/03/11 09:32 AM

Thank you everyone... I'm very pleased and very relieved!! I just take each day one at a time and hopefully we'll continue to move forward.

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 02:12 PM

It's been alittle while... but I thought I'd give you all a quick update.. after a 4 month regime of antibiotic therapy for infection, Laos seems (keeping fingers crossed) to be over that. He's finally starting to get his muscle mass back.. and though he'll probably always have a slight limp and off-gait, he seems okay. Even started doing a little "light" obedience/protection work with him again for fun. I took some pictures over the weekend and just wanted to share.. it was this time last year that he was diagnosed with the ruptured CCL.. it's been a long year.

Posted by: BowWowMeow

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 02:23 PM

He is a spectacularly gorgeous dog, Lynn. What an ordeal the two of you have been through! I am so glad that he is getting back to normal. I hope he continues to improve and enjoy life.

You will hopefully be surprised by his ability to recover. I've had a couple of walking genetic nightmares who did really well with progressive (gentle) rehab and supplements.
Posted by: Schnickle Fritz

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 02:37 PM

very pretty

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 06:50 PM

So glad to hear Laos is doing so well!

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 06:51 PM

This made me smile, thanks for the update and the pictures Lynn!

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 07:03 PM

he looks great! so glad he's doing much better:)

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 09:22 PM

Thanks for the update Lynn - I'm so glad he is now able to "work" again even if at the moment it is only "light". crossedfingers that this time next year even the limp and gait are unnoticable - no matter he is on the way back and that is wonderful!! hugging

Re: Update.... - 09/26/11 10:00 PM

He looks wonderful! So good to hear the news!

Re: Update.... - 09/27/11 02:04 AM

What a relief that this year is behind you! I hope that he continues to improve and that you never have to look back from this point on hugging

Re: Update.... - 09/27/11 04:06 AM

He looks great, may he no longer cause you so much worry.

Re: Update.... - 09/27/11 10:40 AM

Wishing you two the best!

Re: Update.... - 09/27/11 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone.... believe me I know we still have to be careful, but I truly believe the worse is over (keeping fingers crossed as I type that). I can't tell you all how much the support has helped us through this.
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Update.... - 09/27/11 09:41 PM

Whew! Glad to see the good news!

Re: Update.... - 01/31/12 05:49 AM

It's been one year, 3 months since the first surgery, 10 months since the second... Laos is finally sound enough to start working again. Just a very happy dog. Just thought I'd share with all of you that were so supportive back then.

Re: Update.... - 01/31/12 07:23 AM

Great to see, Lynn. He certainly loves protection. goodjob

Re: Update.... - 02/07/12 08:52 AM

So glad he's doing better Lynn!!!