The flu

Posted by: MaxaLisa

The flu - 01/11/18 03:19 AM

I've got the stupid flu, been pretty miserable. Normally I don't catch this stuff but i'm pretty run down.

Oddly, Jazz is acting like she has a mild version. I know that dogs and humans have separate strains, but I really think we are sharing it to some degree. At least hers is mild.
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 09:44 AM

Lisa, sorry to hear you caught the flu bug, I've heard it's nasty. Hope Jazz and you can get some much needed rest and feel better soon. Hugs to both of you. hugging
Posted by: Mary Jane

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 11:50 AM

Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear about your flu-it can really make you sick. I know you know, but please rest and take in lots of fluids.

Given how variable flu is (it's really, really remarkable) you can certainly imagine that your strain since it's growing so well might acquire the ability to infect Jazz. Looking quickly, though, I couldn't find clear evidence that it has happened before. You and Jazz might be a case study-but that is probably not your greatest ambition in life.

feel better hugging
Mary Jane
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 11:50 AM

Flu is a terrible, if temporary illness.

hope you feel better soon!
Posted by: DarkEyes

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 12:44 PM

Ugh! Feel better soon! Take good care of yourself!

I had the flu shot a couple months ago, and knew well it isn't going to stop the flu from taking over me... Last weekend, I was knocked off my feet from the flu! I am STILL very fatigued. Ugh.
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 03:27 PM

Lisa take care of you and Jazz the flue strain this year is pretty ugly.
Posted by: Shilohsmom

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 06:44 PM

I hope your feeling better soon. It's a nasty flu going around and I think there might be a doggie flu going around as well, at least someone told me about that today at the clinic.

Drink lots of fluid and take it easy.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: The flu - 01/11/18 09:11 PM

Take care of yourself, Lisa. It can be a nasty bug.

sick
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: The flu - 01/12/18 11:28 PM

This year is a rough one for the flu. Please rest, hydrate, stay warm and comfortable as you heal. I hope both you and Jazzy feel much better soon! crossedfingers

Re: The flu - 01/13/18 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes, definitely a nasty one. I'm on the recovery side of things now, I was able to pick up some supplements to help with the cough/lung thing that is leftover.

If jazz did have exposure, it was fleeting for her, lucky dog. Lol MJ, definitely not interested in being a case study!

Re: The flu - 01/13/18 08:34 PM

Hey, let's talk about the dog flu vaccine. Jazz actually was given it in the shelter when she was a pup.

My impression is that this vaccine is the same each year. Does anyone know for sure?

Being a vaccine for a viral disease, it should give prolonged protection for the actual strain that it covers, so why do they require it annually? Mind you, it's not a vaccine I would ever give my dogs, though I understand why a shelter might give it.