Mars is sick-loosing control

Posted by: Mary Jane

Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 04:13 PM

Mars is on a daily low-dose chemotherapy drug, chlorambucil, but the tumor seems to be growing. That's probably blood or clotted blood, so there must be some hemorrhage somewhere.

He went to his regular vet for a blood draw today and I really lost it. They know us there-knew my precious Wolf-so they are wise in their support. Not so many people know what to say when your dear dog is so sick-I just tried not to cry.

We'll see the oncologist next week and maybe change the drug. I just want to take care of him, but I may fail.

Mary Jane
Posted by: MaxaLisa

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 04:37 PM

Oh MJ, I'm so very very sorry hugging

No matter what, he knows that you are taking care of him, and we all know that too. You cannot take on the responsibility of not curing cancer, that's just too huge. Even with all the decisions that you have made, you can't second think those either, because you got him this far, and there is never any crystal ball.

I understand the losing it part, but do know that this is not on you. This is on the cancer. F*ck cancer.

Please let us help you through this.
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 04:39 PM

Lisa said it best. You have done everything in your power and Mars knows your love.

My heart is with you.

Worth repeating....f#%k cancer.
Posted by: Braverhund

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 04:44 PM

Mary Jane, your wonderful, sweet Mars knows you are caring fior him. It is surely strengthening and cheering to him, a comforting balm to his spirit. May the love you two share bring you strength. We are all very much here fior you! hugging hugging hugging
Posted by: Shilohsmom

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 05:22 PM

I don't think I could say it better than Lisa did. Your love for Mars is amazing and no doubt why he is still here. I'm crying just thinking of this teary and the pain you are all going through.

I'm sending lots and lots of healing thoughts and prayers. hugging G-d please help this angel heal gsdhalo

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 08:08 PM

hugging Thinking of you both hugging
Posted by: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 08:08 PM

Oh Mary Jane. My heart aches for you.

Lisa is right "This is on the cancer. F*ck cancer."

Sending love from our house to yours. hug
Posted by: SeanRescueMom

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 09:38 PM

Dearest Mary Jane, my heart aches for you and although I don't know Mars I know exactly what it's like to lose it at the vet. cry We are all here to support you in any way that we can, whether through private message or on the forum. Please don't hesitate to let us know when you need us. Special thoughts and prayers going out to you and your precious, loving boy. hugging
Posted by: middleofnowhere

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/20/18 09:58 PM

Mary Jane,
Care doesn't always lead to cure. I think the most difficult care to give but a very important one is the one with those challenges when things don't seem to be going how we had hoped. Mars is fortunate to have you to take care of him, to care so about him. I suspect he knows it, too.
Discouraging findings - they, well, are discouraging. Damn it.
Posted by: GraciesMommy

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/21/18 11:30 AM

MJ - I"m so sorry to hear this frown

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/21/18 02:54 PM

Thank you one and all.

I'll let you know what the oncologist says-please keep us in your positive thoughts.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/21/18 03:25 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are steady strong for our dear sweet Mars and his Mom!!!

MJ your doing an amazing job at helping your boy and I just know he knows that!
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/21/18 06:07 PM

I second what Rosa said - good thoughts and prayers being sent from CT.
Posted by: Selzer

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/21/18 08:48 PM

Sending good thoughts your way.
Posted by: DarkEyes

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/22/18 11:09 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. You are giving all of your love to Mars. Hang in there.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/22/18 04:05 PM

More positive thoughts and ongoing well-wishes for Mars. hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/22/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SeanRescueMom
Dearest Mary Jane, my heart aches for you and although I don't know Mars I know exactly what it's like to lose it at the vet. cry We are all here to support you in any way that we can, whether through private message or on the forum. Please don't hesitate to let us know when you need us. Special thoughts and prayers going out to you and your precious, loving boy. hugging

I couldn't have said it better! I know its hard. I look at my Eli everyday and wonder what else can I do??? Sometimes we feel so helpless but the truth is we are doing our very best and that's all we can ask of ourselves. Mars is so lucky to have you and I know he knows it.

And don't worry about crying. I cry all the time now and I just don't care what others might think of it. I don't know where crying got such a bad rap. Its not a sign of weakness but rather a sign that we are human and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hugs and we are here for you!!!!
Posted by: Islandgsds

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/23/18 01:43 AM

MJ I'm praying for Mars to improve. F**k cancer. That can't be said enough.
Posted by: Codmaster

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/23/18 12:03 PM

That is terrible! Hang in there for your pup! Give him the best time that you can!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/23/18 06:00 PM

Just thinking of you both today and hoping for good news soon. hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/23/18 09:38 PM

Again, my dear friends, thank you.

Our regular vet called today and was as clear as she could be-do not give up.

(I never considered that, but I felt a lot better).

Thursday we see the oncologist and maybe have another ultrasound.

You are giving me strength and I truly thank you.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/23/18 10:41 PM

That's wonderful news party
Posted by: Kris

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/24/18 07:26 PM

MJ, just wanted you to know my thoughts are with you and Mars... The only thing I can recommend is looking into CBD oil. I've been studying it for a while and people are having really good luck with lots of health issues in animals. They say if you are fighting cancer, you need to use the CBD with THC, but unless you are in legal state, that would be problematic. But even people who are in states where it's not legal yet are using the Hemp oils (trace THC) and saying that it makes a huge difference in overall health, pain, stimulates eating - nothing but good things. Side effects are almost non-existent.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 10:17 AM

The vet society put out a memo to veterinarians warning them about recommending CBD, so our holistic vet here, after having her attorney review the matter, has stopped carrying and unless you have a vet that trusts who you are as a client, they may not discuss it with you. I was very sad and angry that they received that memo.

Best of luck today, thinking about you guys!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
Thursday we see the oncologist and maybe have another ultrasound.

Fingers and paws crossed for Mars today at the oncologist. crossedfingers paw I'll be thinking of both of you, please check in to update us whenever you have a minute. hug

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 11:57 AM

Thinking about you both and hoping for good news today!!!!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 03:53 PM

WE GOT A BREAK!

The tumor is as big as its maximum-but there are no detectable metastases on ultrasound or chest Xray.

Mars is starting carboplatin today with the intention (fervent hope) that it will arrest or reduce the tumor.

Your support carried us through this, yet again.

Just please help us going forward.

thank you,

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 05:13 PM

party party party party party party

That's wonderful news!!!!! party party party

And a big hug for you and Mars!!! hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 05:41 PM

Your support carried us through this, yet again. Just please help us going forward.

Consider it done. Special thoughts and all the help you need going forward. hugging hug hugging hug

So happy you got a break! groovy happyboogie
Posted by: PositiveDog

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 06:24 PM

Wonderful news! Continued support to you both!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 07:58 PM

That is super great awesome news. 3penguins
Posted by: Woodreb

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 08:37 PM

Great news happyboogie

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/25/18 11:20 PM

Hooray!! cheers happyboogie party

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/27/18 11:06 AM

That's really encouraging news. Keep up the good fight you guys, sending all sorts of positive thoughts your way!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 12:43 PM

Just checking in our dear sweet Mars and hoping your both having a great weekend.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 02:44 PM

Hi Rosa and Everybody,

My dear Prince (aka Mars) is here and there. Yesterday, when it was sunny, he ran-OK jogged- with David with great pleasure and ate a mixture of foods.

Today, rainy, not so good. Poor appetite and activity. Then again, he's sweet as sugar, highly interactive.

The rain stopped, so I am holding on for a bit more Mars.

You are so good for us, thanks.

MJ

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 03:27 PM

Well I love getting updates on our dear sweet pups. Just hoping and praying for more good days than not so good ones, but remembering how every moment is precious.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom
Just hoping and praying for more good days than not so good ones, but remembering how every moment is precious.

Ditto everything Rosa said, with a few extra hugs added in for good measure. thumbup

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 05:01 PM

Our Neilla is solar powered, she has more peep and energy when it is sunny outside, cloudy days she is really calm and laid back.

Hoping for more good days for Mars.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/28/18 10:16 PM

So nice that you have this time to spend with him while he is fighting this beast. Hang in there and be sure to take care of yourselves too!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 01/29/18 08:53 PM

Just a quick check in and hoping Mars had a great day!!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/01/18 11:13 AM

I simply can't express how much your support means-thank you.

Marzipan is holding his own-not 100%-but he seems slowly more himself.

MJ
Posted by: Islandgsds

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/01/18 11:59 AM

I'm so glad to hear Mars is doing better. Fingers are crossed that the new drug has a great effect and the tumor starts to shrink.
Keeping you and Mars in my thoughts and prayers. butterfly

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/01/18 07:04 PM

We'll take not 100% and run with it. Mars acting slowly more like himself is good news! thumbup Special thoughts and bear hugs too. hug hugging hug hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/01/18 08:58 PM

We'll take not 100% and run with it. Mars acting slowly more like himself is good news! thumbup Special thoughts and bear hugs too. hug hugging hug hugging

My thoughts exactly smile

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/01/18 11:08 PM

Sounds like he is headed in the right direction, so that's definitely good news. He's a fighter.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/22/18 07:56 PM

Just hoping for a Mars update (all good news I hope)

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/23/18 11:03 AM

OK, my friends we now have (occasional) ball playing AND find the toy! Mars' appetite is great, he is back to prancing (when the sun is shining), and he is very talky. We're really grateful for those good things.

David is concerned that he tires more quickly than usual and heart damage is one side effect of Adriamycin, so we'll see his regular vet Monday for a check-up.

thanks everybody-thanks a lot,
MJ

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/25/18 09:09 PM

Good news all the way around, i.e. ball playing, find the toy, prancing and a healthy appetite. thumbup

Fingers crossed for Mars' vet appointment on Monday. crossedfingers Please let us know how it goes, we'll be thinking of you.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/27/18 02:20 PM

Hooray for ball playing, toy searches, and talky talk! Continuing positive well wishes being beamed out for Mars, and you! crossedfingers hugging

fetch

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/27/18 06:45 PM

David is concerned that he tires more quickly than usual and heart damage is one side effect of Adriamycin, so we'll see his regular vet Monday for a check-up.

How did the check up with your regular vet go on Monday, any updates?

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/27/18 09:04 PM

How did the check up with your regular vet go on Monday, any updates?

I wonder the same. It sounds like he's enjoying every moment of life that he can fetch

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/28/18 11:02 AM

Thanks a lot guys. Mars thoroughly enjoys his walks, but play time stopped for the moment frown.
We have a few new findings: Mars' fatigue may be from anemia, we got the CBC late but all the red cell markers were low (Feb 21). By Monday, he was almost recovered and his vet thinks it might have been a small bleed from rimadyl.

Today he is getting the last radiation in this series. We may try one more dose of Adriamycin-but to be sure about his heart we will probably do an echocardiogram next week.

Mars was really glad to see his regular vet and she was really glad to see him. Everybody at our regular hospital is just so much warmer and more interested in Mars. If we do go ahead with more Adriamycin, we'll do it there.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/28/18 05:07 PM

Anemia is hard, I have that a lot with chemo. It sounds like he's improving from this and I'm so happy he's on his last scheduled radiation treatment. party

What an amazing pup you have there wub He sounds like such a warm and loving soul, I could see where they would like him so much at the vets.

Keep up the great work Mars, we're all routing for you!!!

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/28/18 06:05 PM

Sending good thoughts for Mars. How about some foods that are high in iron, like spinach and liver?? Maybe not the two together but there are other foods that are high in iron.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 02/28/18 10:10 PM

Mars was really glad to see his regular vet and she was really glad to see him. Everybody at our regular hospital is just so much warmer and more interested in Mars. If we do go ahead with more Adriamycin, we'll do it there.

I don't blame Mars, or you, for being more comfortable at his regular vet. thumbup

Glad he is still enjoying his walks and playtime can wait for now. Nice to hear today is his last radiation treatment. Thinking of you and sending more good thoughts your way. hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/18/18 08:49 PM

Just checking for an update on our sweet boy Mars. I so hope he is doing well.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/19/18 02:52 PM

Thanks Rosa.

Mars is amazing crossedfingers . He's full of energy and has that lovely fluid GSD gait. Radiation reduced his tumor, but it's still pretty big-his new meds seem to be tolerable. We played find it and ball last night.

today is great smile

MJ

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/20/18 11:25 AM

I'm so happy for you and our Sweeet Mars. Such wonderful news. Keep up the good work and enjoy these special times.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/20/18 04:53 PM

I'm really glad to hear that you all are still fighting the good fight. I know how hard it is!

I will just through this out there, if this were an adenosarcoma (sp?) it would be a no-brainer, but I don't know about hemangio. Cell Forte's IP-6 is a great cancer fighter and works well with chemo and might be worth a try. It does however "boost" parts of the immune system. When I tried it for max it made his paw swell (which had reactive bone in it, via biopsy, whatever that is), but have seen it do really good in several colon cancer cases. It helps it make the cancer able to die, and then the chemo actually does the killing. It is also supposed to help prevent low platelets and anemia.

I have a friend who is battling lymphoma with her dog, and all this extra time with them is such a blessing, but doesn't make things any easier hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/22/18 03:38 PM

Once again, Lisa helps us out smile. Immune stimulation makes a lot of sense. I think that we get some of that with the mushroom extract, I'm-Yunity, that Mars has been taking for six months.

We may also get some lead when we hear about tumor gene expression/genome sequencing in a few weeks. Also, we have to figure out about more radiation. Lots of choices without sufficient information.

MJ

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/22/18 07:26 PM

hugging

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/23/18 03:55 AM

NEVER sufficient information in situations like this! Good luck with your next step(s).

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/24/18 02:26 PM

Once again, Lisa helps us out smile. Immune stimulation makes a lot of sense. I think that we get some of that with the mushroom extract, I'm-Yunity, that Mars has been taking for six months.

Just to clarify, the IP6 does stimulate the immune system, but I think it has an actual action on cancer cells in specific that are distinct from the immune stimulation. I do not understand how it is able to change cancer cells so they die, i'm sure I have some of the papers linked in the health archives somewhere, if anyone is ever interested.

Re: Mars is sick-loosing control - 03/24/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
IP6 does stimulate the immune system, but I think it has an actual action on cancer cells in specific that are distinct from the immune stimulation. ....

OK, thanks. You really provide a marvelous resource.

MJ